Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: y.c.a.g.w.y.w.. best tour version?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 3, 2010 18:30

Erik_Snow
dcba
About Innsbruck :
credit should go to Dieter Hoffmann (once again) : in BN #20 p.19 he reviews VGP-140 as saying "the recording date for this nice Cd is not 100% confirmed but for sure it is not Bern but it could be Innsbruck?!".

How does he come to the conclusion?

A) some German language is heard on the tape so it narrows the ID possibilities. Check the "73 tour special" in BN#15 and you'll find three undocumented dates that match the "some German language" clue : the 1st Cologne, Innsbruck and Berlin.
Cologne it's not obviously so it's a tie between Innsbruck and Berlin.

Hoffmann doesn't think it's Berlin and me neither; it doesn't sound like a end-of-tour show (where bands usually crank it up) : the final show of the 73 tour must have been pretty incredible. What's on VGP-140 isn't. It's an OK show not a slaughter à la "Bruxelles Affair" more the kind of a quickie gig you play in a small town...
And the tedious sax solo on YCAGWYW makes me think it's Bobby playing (MT shines on this one though).
And not even a "Good night Berlin!" to close the show?

According to several reports, they performed both Heartbreaker and Mr D in Innsbruck - while Berlin was a definate "Mr D concert" - so I doubt that it's Innsbruck.....also; the Austrian and Swiss shows of 09/73 were subpar.....according to the recordings and the reports; while the VGP release ( "Berlin 1973" ) features a REAL great performance.....maybe not as much of a thrill as Brussels.....but hardly any concert is.

Whether a show is "hot" is not a real marker -the 2nd Brussels show isn't very good at all, while we all know how good the 1st one is.

The tape I have fro Berlin is the one that came in the paper sleeve (was it the "Shelter" label, or Hot Lips? I forgot), so it's probably not the VGP version. The version I have is without Heartbreaker (which was played in Innsbruck) and bears many resemblences with Brussels. Taylor plays quite the same leads, the sax is Trevor Lawrence and not Keys. Last, I thought VGP 140 was identified as Berlin, after Zentgraf mentioned Innsbruck.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 3, 2010 22:40

Mathijs
Whether a show is "hot" is not a real marker -the 2nd Brussels show isn't very good at all, while we all know how good the 1st one is.

The tape I have fro Berlin is the one that came in the paper sleeve (was it the "Shelter" label, or Hot Lips? I forgot), so it's probably not the VGP version. The version I have is without Heartbreaker (which was played in Innsbruck) and bears many resemblences with Brussels. Taylor plays quite the same leads, the sax is Trevor Lawrence and not Keys. Last, I thought VGP 140 was identified as Berlin, after Zentgraf mentioned Innsbruck.
Mathijs

Yes I know, it is surely not a great marker whether a show is hot or not

The bootleg you are speaking about was released by "Sound Shelter" - it's Antwerpen Oct 15th. Great show - but poor recording.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 3, 2010 23:13

jamesfdouglas
THe best live version I've ever heard on record is the one from Rock n' Roll Circus - the arrangement, the passion, the FIRE!

Good Call I forgot about that one. Perhaps I need to pencil that in my list in either the number 2 or 3 spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-04 05:03 by ryanpow.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 3, 2010 23:22

Erik_Snow
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes I know, it is surely not a great marker whether a show is hot or not

The bootleg you are speaking about was released by "Sound Shelter" -
it's Antwerpen Oct 15th. Great show - but poor recording.

Wasn't Oct 15th from Rotterdam Erik?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 3, 2010 23:43

NICOS
Wasn't Oct 15th from Rotterdam Erik?

Hi Nicos, no they played Rotterdam on Oct 13th and 14th. I reckon you woke up with a bad tinnitus on Oct 15th...!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 4, 2010 03:32

Thanks SwayStones for posting those two versions. There it is for one to compare. IMO one of those guitar solos is musical and the other is non-musical.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: February 6, 2010 12:24

Tour 81/82 see the Hampton one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-06 12:25 by thomas guitar.

Date: February 6, 2010 13:11

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
<The neutrals and those who like everything of the Stones choose sometimes a MT-version and sometimes a RW-version, or two versions, one with MT and one with RW. Those people would do very well as politicians willing to compromise.>

Or they just like good music from their favourite band winking smiley

Hey DandelionP., do you remember I asked you a question, namely why you thought you had to warn me for being banned here? I didn't got no anwer yet.

I also read complaints of some people (whose names I've forgotten) about newbees being so audacious to bluntly say their opinions and especialy criticism concerning the Stones while others being here for so many years ...etc.

Is that your problem and the true reason why you warned me without being concrete as for what I exactly had done wrong in your eyes?

Kleermaker, the reason I gave you that advice was that I like your posts and your attitude. But I´ve seen lots of posters starting Taylor/Wood threads or "heating up" such discussions with the result of being banned by Bjørnulf. You were quite prominent in such discussions, and as friendly gesture only I just wanted to let you know...

Imo, every newbee or others should say their opinions. On the other hand, this is Bjørnulf´s forum and his rules. If you feel that my advice wasn´t in place or unfair, I apologise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-06 13:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 6, 2010 15:24

rock 'n roll circus is the best.
Jagger on fire.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2010 16:46

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
<The neutrals and those who like everything of the Stones choose sometimes a MT-version and sometimes a RW-version, or two versions, one with MT and one with RW. Those people would do very well as politicians willing to compromise.>

Hey DandelionP., do you remember I asked you a question, namely why you thought you had to warn me for being banned here? I didn't got no anwer yet.

I also read complaints of some people (whose names I've forgotten) about newbees being so audacious to bluntly say their opinions and especialy criticism concerning the Stones while others being here for so many years ...etc.

Is that your problem and the true reason why you warned me without being concrete as for what I exactly had done wrong in your eyes?

Kleermaker, the reason I gave you that advice was that I like your posts and your attitude. But I´ve seen lots of posters starting Taylor/Wood threads or "heating up" such discussions with the result of being banned by Bjørnulf. You were quite prominent in such discussions, and as friendly gesture only I just wanted to let you know...

Imo, every newbee or others should say their opinions. On the other hand, this is Bjørnulf´s forum and his rules. If you feel that my advice wasn´t in place or unfair, I apologise.

Thank you for your explanation, DandelionP, you don't have to apologize as for me. As I already said I think I've sticked to the fair rules and never said anything inappriopriate about Ron Wood. But if the big boss here decides that I have to be removed from here, then so be it.

I'm Dutch and we're the free-est and nicest people on earth. Besides, we can speed skate and play football better and more beautiful than any other country in the word. Everbody knows us, even in the USA, whereas we're just a small country with about a lousy 16 million people. But all of us are winners and very selfconfident. It's simply in our Dutch genesgrinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 6, 2010 16:51

kleermaker

I'm Dutch and we're the free-est and nicest people on earth. Besides, we can speed skate and play football better and more beautiful than any other country in the word. Everbody knows us, even in the USA, whereas we're just a small country with about a lousy 16 million people. But all of us are winners and very selfconfident. It's simply in our Dutch genesgrinning smileygrinning smiley

Don't forget to mention that we're also better looking than anyone else.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2010 17:21

kleermaker

Then I guess that the Huntelaar I see playing in Milan is not 100% Dutch ...smileys with beer

C

Date: February 6, 2010 17:24

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Thank you for your explanation, DandelionP, you don't have to apologize as for me. As I already said I think I've sticked to the fair rules and never said anything inappriopriate about Ron Wood. But if the big boss here decides that I have to be removed from here, then so be it.

We´ll see about the speedskating in the olympics. I think Håvard Bøkko´s up to something winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2010 17:25

liddas
kleermaker

Then I guess that the Huntelaar I see playing in Milan is not 100% Dutch ...smileys with beer

C

His simple teammates just don't fully understand his genius yet. But they'll learn.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 6, 2010 17:59

RNR Circus is my personal favorite.

I like the 89-90 versions as well.

72-73 very good

75 - sucks

Date: February 7, 2010 15:46

I just hear Essen 73 from the 10th for the first time. The Essen boot that has been circulating for ages is from 11th. I'd never heard the 10th show.
It has the sax solo, but for some reason Taylor hangs on the high notes all over the show. Very long sustained notes that whine, bend for ever. These are some of the very last shows he ever played with the Stones, and IMO you can clearly hear his boredom; or frustration. But this is clearly a player who is a bit in his own world, keeping himself entertained.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 7, 2010 15:58

Palace Revolution 2000
I just hear Essen 73 from the 10th for the first time. The Essen boot that has been circulating for ages is from 11th. I'd never heard the 10th show.
It has the sax solo, but for some reason Taylor hangs on the high notes all over the show. Very long sustained notes that whine, bend for ever. These are some of the very last shows he ever played with the Stones, and IMO you can clearly hear his boredom; or frustration. But this is clearly a player who is a bit in his own world, keeping himself entertained.

...not to mention the drugs he was taking at the time !

Date: February 7, 2010 16:17

Eleanor Rigby
Palace Revolution 2000

...not to mention the drugs he was taking at the time !

True that.
As I kep[t listening I found more and more that Taylor did not play his best that show.He was always good, but he sound listless, and also very loud, LOL.
But I must have heard the show before because at one point Jagger did the "Turn the lights up George" thing.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 7, 2010 16:18

I like the 72 version myself, taylor at his masterful best

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home