Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Next Tongue
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 5, 2010 00:13

Think they'll mutate the tongue logo again if they do a new record? The last release they put out with the normal tongue and lips logo was Stripped. Ever since Steel Wheels they've pretty much had a different tongue (Flashpoint and Live Licks was normal). I know the cover of Licks was different.

I thought the Bigger Bang tongue was, well, not very interesting.

They did one for She's So Cold, why didn't they do one on fire for She Was Hot?

Re: The Next Tongue
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2010 00:35

Got me licked ... why didn't they ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 5, 2010 00:53

I found it!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:00

So, all you artists on IORR, who can come up with a new design?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:03

Tongue gallery:

[www.djolley.com]

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:04

I always quite liked the spiked tongue from the Voodoo tour.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:18

Well, if the next tongue is the original tongue, then I guess it's a wrap.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 01:25

Of course it'll be a new tongue - fresh T-shirts, merchandise and more $$$.

Date: February 5, 2010 01:44

mickijaggeroo, there are a couple missing from that one you put up, including the original!

Date: February 5, 2010 02:04

That tongue gallery doesn't have the original tongue either.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 02:21

The original one is still my favorite but I thought the gold one was nice too. I also liked the VL spiked one.

I think I'll get a tatoo of the original one some day.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 02:26

Ones I hate:

ABB exploded tongue
Baseball tongue (I know it's all about merchandise, but this goes to far for my taste - same with rugby tongue)
Licks graffiti tongues
ABB liquid tongue

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: February 5, 2010 02:35

[www.danielteafoe.com]

Tongues by Teafoe - 2005

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: February 5, 2010 02:46

Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: February 5, 2010 11:10

>> Think they'll mutate the tongue logo again if they do a new record?

Good question!

For The Avalanche collection, it'll be some kinda mosaic tongue...

And for The Two Trains Tour, it'll of course be a stereo tongue...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:13

theimposter
I always quite liked the spiked tongue from the Voodoo tour.

As did I - by far my favorite one.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 5, 2010 15:34

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 14:48 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 5, 2010 16:24

[www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 5, 2010 17:06

It looks like the Stone Crab has been boarded by a pirate!
I hope that guy got away...

Posted by: MARSBAR ()
Date: February 5, 2010 17:46

If they tour again(please dont) The Tongue will have no teeth,just like the tour.smoking smileywinking smiley

Date: February 5, 2010 17:52

I've never seen any copy of Sticky Fingers with the original tongue.

Date: February 5, 2010 18:06

They used this one albeit slightly different for the original release of Emotional Rescue and something else as well as well as the video content for Ain't Too Proud To Beg for the Licks tour I believe...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2010 20:20

Yeah , the 40 Licks tongue had a 40 in the tongue.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 6, 2010 01:40

skipstone
mickijaggeroo, there are a couple missing from that one you put up, including the original!

LOL....I know, I just took some pic from the net...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: February 6, 2010 04:26

Ha ha. Yeah, I was being facetious. I know there are more than just a couple missing ha ha.

It IS funny though, how man versions of the tongue there have been. I still like the original - with the one tongue gleam - the best, followed by what they used for Emotional Rescue.

Voodoo's tongue was very cool and I really liked the Bridges tongue.

Date: February 6, 2010 05:57

So the image of the jacket sleeve from Sticky Fingers from Pasche's website is the only one I've seen now of the original tongue in Sticky Fingers.

Does anyone have that one and can they find a way to upload it for a better image?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 6, 2010 12:12

It may have been posted before ,the cover story of Sticky Fingers :

“In 1969, Mick Jagger’s office rang the Royal College of Art in London and asked if there was a suitable design student to come up with designs for their 1970 European Tour poster. I was recommended and on 29 April 1970 Jo Bergman, who was running the Stone’s office at the time, wrote to me to confirm that they had commissioned me to design a poster for their forthcoming tour. At this time, I was in my final year of a graduate design course. I was very honored when Mick Jagger turned up at the College to see my final degree show as the artwork that would ultimately be used for the poster was on display in one of the exhibits.

A short time later, I met with Mick again, who then asked me to design a logo or symbol for The Rolling Stone’s new record label. Mick showed me an image of the Goddess Kali which became the starting point to our discussion regarding the design of the logo. I was paid £50 for the design, which took me about a week to complete. In 1972 I was paid an additional £200 in recognition of the logo’s success.

The design concept for the Tongue was to represent the band’s anti-authoritarian attitude, Mick’s mouth and the obvious sexual connotations. I designed it in such a way that it was easily reproduced and in a style which I thought could stand the test of time. The first use of the logo was the inner sleeve for the Sticky Fingers album. The outer sleeve was designed by Andy Warhol, hence the mix-up with the credits (Ed. Note – many have attributed the logo design to Warhol, so we’re happy to clarify this here today!). The logo was not fully registered in all countries and a German jeans company registered the logo in Germany for their own products. This situation – and the fact that the tongue was getting used by unauthorized manufacturers of badges and t-shirts – prompted the proper registration and a merchandising agreement with myself to capitalize on the success of the logo.

The simplicity of the design lent itself to many variations which were done by other designers and not myself. Due to it’s immediate popularity, the Stones kept with it over the years and I believe that it represents one of the strongest and most recognizable logos worldwide. And of course I’m proud of that. The Stones ultimately bought the copyright but I still own the hand drawn & painted artwork which, by the way, is now on sale for £200,000.

My busiest time creating artwork for the Stones was from 1970 – 1974, which included creating four tour posters. This led on to work for Paul McCartney, the Who and many other artistes and bands through to eleven years ago when I started working as Creative Director for the South Bank Centre Arts Complex in London. I left this position last April due to the closure of the Royal Festival Hall for an eighteen month renovation programme. I am now 61 years old and work as a freelance designer from my studio at home – still enjoying rock music and working as a designer.”

About John Pasche (again, in his words) -

[rockandrollreport.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: February 6, 2010 12:14

MARSBAR
If they tour again(please dont) The Tongue will have no teeth,just like the tour.smoking smileywinking smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out...That's what I call 'a dirty punch', but hey- smileys with beer

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: February 6, 2010 18:14

skipstone
Think they'll mutate the tongue logo again if they do a new record? The last release they put out with the normal tongue and lips logo was Stripped. Ever since Steel Wheels they've pretty much had a different tongue (Flashpoint and Live Licks was normal). I know the cover of Licks was different.

I thought the Bigger Bang tongue was, well, not very interesting.

They did one for She's So Cold, why didn't they do one on fire for She Was Hot?

They were saving it for the Fatboy Slim remix of SFTD

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 6, 2010 19:01

skipstone
So the image of the jacket sleeve from Sticky Fingers from Pasche's website is the only one I've seen now of the original tongue in Sticky Fingers.

Does anyone have that one and can they find a way to upload it for a better image?

Well my photoshopping skills aren't great, but here you go:

Scanned from the original Sticky fingers insert.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home