Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: UNCUT, Exile re release mention
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 3, 2010 11:48

Choosing Mr.D over Criss Cross Man is the right choice imo...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2010 11:50

mmmmmmmmmmmmm tuff choice .......Both sex-maniac's if ya ask me ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 3, 2010 12:27

HMN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:19

chenry9195
As this article points out, bootlegger's don't own everything, so there may very well be completely mixed versions of the above mentioned songs. Also, as I may point out the Stones were the POSTER CHILDREN OF DRUGS IN 1972. Mick can tolerate a little imperfection (Far Away Eyes from Shine A Light), but I have a feeling there are certain treats in the vault where not only do Mick or the guys not remember writing/recording it, but they don't know what the F@ck Mick was trying to say. I can guarantee Mick's slur problem wasn't limited to the stage.

I hope the great lost album mix is released this time around.

Youre correct that bootleggers dont own everything'. Something I've been at pains to point out to the 'but we have all this stuff' brigade ad nauseam over the last few years.

However, listening to what material has leaked down the years - and theres quite a lot of it - one thing thats quite apparent from it is that it indicates that the Stones arent the sort of band who finish a lot of songs and then drop them at a late stage in the album-making process. Most of whats circulated are half-arsed performances with guide vocals or unfinished lyrics. There are very few recordings - other than stuff which has obviously been leaked at the mixing stage - which sounds releasable. The Stones therefore strike me as a band who, say, may go into the studio and bash out 25-30 'songs' in rough form, but who then pretty quickly settle on a shortlist for what is likely to make the final cut. That sort of process doesnt really augur well for the hope that we all have that there may be countless releasable songs languishing in their vaults that we've never heard or even heard of.

Thats why I was pleasantly surprised to read that there are at least three songs - none of which have been bootlegged in any form, and two of which whose existence wer unheard of - from the Exile sessions which would appear to be worthy of release. People also have to remember that Exile was an 18-track double album which was released just one year after it's predecessor. None of this five or eight year wait between records like they do now. Its totally unreasonable to expect a plethora of unreleased, undiscovered songs for this release - especially when you consider that in putting Exile together, the Stones used material that was written as far back as 1969 - two albums earlier.

We'll get a few more unreleased tracks as bonus material I'm sure - but I would imagine it'll mostly be alternate versions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 18:20 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:36

i agree, gary - but given that - what on earth has been taking so long getting this "expanded" edition of EOMS to market? whetting the appetite like this for months and then it's all for...drum roll, please....3 friggin' tunes? gimme a break....

Posted by: rollin93 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:42

Hopefully there are more than only 3 unreleased Songs, but who knows, let's wait .....

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:53

Gazza
chenry9195
As this article points out, bootlegger's don't own everything, so there may very well be completely mixed versions of the above mentioned songs. Also, as I may point out the Stones were the POSTER CHILDREN OF DRUGS IN 1972. Mick can tolerate a little imperfection (Far Away Eyes from Shine A Light), but I have a feeling there are certain treats in the vault where not only do Mick or the guys not remember writing/recording it, but they don't know what the F@ck Mick was trying to say. I can guarantee Mick's slur problem wasn't limited to the stage.

I hope the great lost album mix is released this time around.

Youre correct that bootleggers dont own everything'. Something I've been at pains to point out to the 'but we have all this stuff' brigade ad nauseam over the last few years.

However, listening to what material has leaked down the years - and theres quite a lot of it - one thing thats quite apparent from it is that it indicates that the Stones arent the sort of band who finish a lot of songs and then drop them at a late stage in the album-making process. Most of whats circulated are half-arsed performances with guide vocals or unfinished lyrics. There are very few recordings - other than stuff which has obviously been leaked at the mixing stage - which sounds releasable. The Stones therefore strike me as a band who, say, may go into the studio and bash out 25-30 'songs' in rough form, but who then pretty quickly settle on a shortlist for what is likely to make the final cut. That sort of process doesnt really augur well for the hope that we all have that there may be countless releasable songs languishing in their vaults that we've never heard or even heard of.

Thats why I was pleasantly surprised to read that there are at least three songs - none of which have been bootlegged in any form, and two of which whose existence wer unheard of - from the Exile sessions which would appear to be worthy of release. People also have to remember that Exile was an 18-track double album which was released just one year after it's predecessor. None of this five or eight year wait between records like they do now. Its totally unreasonable to expect a plethora of unreleased, undiscovered songs for this release - especially when you consider that in putting Exile together, the Stones used material that was written as far back as 1969 - two albums earlier.

We'll get a few more unreleased tracks as bonus material I'm sure - but I would imagine it'll mostly be alternate versions.

I personally only have 3 discs of outtakes by the Stones. Do you have any idea as to which ones are worth getting. I have a ton of concerts though and rehearsals from 72,73,78,89, and 98. The discs I do have are Mixed Pickles and No Expectations as well as Necrophilia (The tracks of which have yet to have been released should have been SACD bonus tracks on More Hot Rocks and Metamorphosis).

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 3, 2010 19:30

chenry9195 wrote :

I personally only have 3 discs of outtakes by the Stones. Do you have any idea as to which ones are worth getting?

I would recommend Hillside Blues (vgp-214) A great collection with outtakes from 1968 - 1970 A lot are exile outtakes in good quality.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 3, 2010 19:32

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-08 20:05 by UrbanSteel.

Date: January 3, 2010 20:01

Box Set of unreleased songs will come later.
I'm excited about 3 songs from Exile sessions that I have never heard.
Lot of negativity here.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:05

lot of negativity because we were led to believe there was going to be a live disc plus a dvd thats why, they delay a project for six months to pick out 3 songs??????????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 20:09 by melillo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:08

Gazza
However, listening to what material has leaked down the years - and theres quite a lot of it - one thing thats quite apparent from it is that it indicates that the Stones arent the sort of band who finish a lot of songs and then drop them at a late stage in the album-making process. Most of whats circulated are half-arsed performances with guide vocals or unfinished lyrics. There are very few recordings - other than stuff which has obviously been leaked at the mixing stage - which sounds releasable.

I don't agree with you here. You're right saying there aren't a lot of completely finished songs that have remained unreleased, but there's plenty of very good versions of unreleased songs that are fit for release, from the fast Talking sessions to Drift Away/Lonely at the Top to the abundance of the '77 t0 '83 sessions with Let's Go Steady, We had it All, Some People Tell Me, Claudine etcetera. And we know also that we only have 25% of the material residing in the vaults. Together with alternate and early versions an Anthology series of volumes 1 to 10 is feasible without much hassle. But unfortunately, Jagger doesn't give a vuck.

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2010 20:26

Mathijs
And we know also that we only have 25% of the material residing in the vaults.

Mathijs

Are you high, we probably have 5% and that's being generous.

Date: January 3, 2010 20:38

Mathijs
Gazza
However, listening to what material has leaked down the years - and theres quite a lot of it - one thing thats quite apparent from it is that it indicates that the Stones arent the sort of band who finish a lot of songs and then drop them at a late stage in the album-making process. Most of whats circulated are half-arsed performances with guide vocals or unfinished lyrics. There are very few recordings - other than stuff which has obviously been leaked at the mixing stage - which sounds releasable.

I don't agree with you here. You're right saying there aren't a lot of completely finished songs that have remained unreleased, but there's plenty of very good versions of unreleased songs that are fit for release, from the fast Talking sessions to Drift Away/Lonely at the Top to the abundance of the '77 t0 '83 sessions with Let's Go Steady, We had it All, Some People Tell Me, Claudine etcetera. And we know also that we only have 25% of the material residing in the vaults. Together with alternate and early versions an Anthology series of volumes 1 to 10 is feasible without much hassle. But unfortunately, Jagger doesn't give a vuck.

Mathijs

They might be releasable, but a) they're still a small % of whats been circulated and b) a lot of them seem to come from the same period of the band's career, at a time when they were quite prolific

Totally agree we could easily put together a multi disc anthology but whether there'd be much of value other than alternate versions of the released songs I'm not so convinced about.

Date: January 3, 2010 20:39

melillo
lot of negativity because we were led to believe there was going to be a live disc plus a dvd thats why, they delay a project for six months to pick out 3 songs??????????????

NO ONE HAS SAID IT'S JUST THREE SONGS!!!!!

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:46

UrbanSteel
I think there is a good chance that they include Ladies and Gentlemen in de Exile box , because ;
Promotone ( The Rolling Stones ) has ordered YouTube to delete all my Pro-Shot Ladies And Gentlemen videos from my account and videolist , all the videos with Ladies And Gentlemen are gone , also the videos with Ladies And Gentlemen Saitama . And they gave me a warning , my other 950 Rolling Stones videos are still there without warnings .

Let's hope they will release this great movie together and a bonus cd with unreleased songs and alternate takes. Then we will have a great Exile box

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:59

Gazza
melillo

the article in the header post suggests that

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:37

I'm not in favour of a bonus dvd with live 1972 material. I'd like to see a stand alone release with that material. This release should be about Exile and nothing else imho. A release with live 1972 material should deserve a release on its own.
And hopefully that's what we get later in the year or the year after. If it were to be released as a bonus dvd, it's more like an after thought ("disc 3")

It would be much better to see this get a release of it's own, with a different marketing campaign.

Where is the communication (or marketing) for this release by the way? Odd that the news must come on a tucked away page in uncut magazine and not from The Rolling Stones (or Universal)
Very strange that there is nothing whatsover officially, like a teaser or something on rollingstones.con

When Neil Young released the first Blu-Ray box, there where teasers, and news in advance on his website.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 21:48 by barbabang.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:44

barbabang
I'm not in favour of a bonus dvd with live 1972 material. I'd like to see a stand alone release with that material. This release should be about Exile and nothing else imho. A release with live 1972 material should deserve a release on its own.
And hopefully that's what we get later in the year or the year after. If it were to be released as a bonus dvd, it's more like an after thought ("disc 3")

It would be much better to see this get a release of it's own, with a different marketing campaign.

Where is the communication (or marketing) for this release by the way? Odd that the news must come on a tucked away page in uncut magazine and not from The Rolling Stones (or Universal)
Very strange that there is nothing whatsover officially, like a teaser or something on rollingstones.con

When Neil Young released the firts Blu-Ray box, there where teasers, and news in advance on his website.

Kind of gives you an idea how much thought and importantance the Stones (Sir Mick) feel the value of these old albums are doesn't it.........

Date: January 3, 2010 22:37

melillo
Gazza
melillo

It doesn't. It says that it 'includes 3 previously unreleased songs' and then lists them.

There could well be several more - most likely alternate versions of released songs.

Considering the fact that the Stones were putting out great albums every 12 months or so and this was an 18-track DOUBLE ALBUM released a year after Sticky Fingers, its absolutely unrealistic to assume that they had a huge amount of songs shortlisted for release but which were unused. Especially as many of the songs on Exile were songs written during the sessions for Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 4, 2010 00:16

As for C¤cks_cker Blues, Mick has stated in an interview the he'd love to see the film released (see quote below). But Robert Frank's representatives said during one of the screening events in NY recently that they could not release it officially with respect to relatives of some people in the movie. There are probably no real contractual problems, but the film is a little controversial and probably has little commercial potential. If you ask me, I love it, but I believe there are several hardcore fans here who actually thinks it's boring. And the Stones aren't really known for putting out obscure archive releases even if that's what they should do.

So if CS Blues comes out with this Exile reissue, that would be REALLY surprising.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Any chance you'll finally release "@#$%& Blues"?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind releasing it. It's fine.

How do you see the film now?
That's a good movie. It didn't come out — but that's a classic. I wanted to make one kind of movie, but the director @#$%& you over because he doesn't want to do the movie he's agreed to make. I said, "You could make this dark movie, but you got to have these other up moments because being on tour is all about going onstage, you know?"
What you have for breakfast is fascinating, and what drugs you're taking and what birds you're shagging, that's all very lovely. But then for you, the going out onstage is the important part, and you have to include that. And [Robert Frank] wouldn't include it. So I got really mad at him, as we fired him. That's the problem you can get into with hiring directors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-04 00:26 by LieB.

Date: January 4, 2010 00:19

LieB
As for C¤cks_cker Blues, Mick has stated in an interview the he'd love to see the film released (see quote below). But Robert Frank's representatives said during one of the screening events in NY recently that they could not release it officially with respect to relatives of some people in the movie. There are probably no real contractual problems, but the film is a little controversial and probably has little commercial potential. If you ask me, I love it, but I believe there are several hardcore fans here who actually thinks it's boring. And the Stones aren't really known for putting out obscure archive releases even if that's what they should do.

So if CS Blues comes out with this Exile reissue, that would be REALLY surprising.

As everyone should know by now, it's what the Stones want or what they think the fans want. It's not what the fans really do want.

Date: January 4, 2010 00:29

LieB

UrbanSteel's post above gives some good grounds for hoping that 'Ladies & Gentlemen' may be part of the package.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 4, 2010 00:32

as good as the 4REEL bootleg DVD is it would be nice to have the L&G whole video from the master!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-04 00:38 by oldschool.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 4, 2010 01:25

Gazza
melillo
Gazza
melillo

It doesn't. It says that it 'includes 3 previously unreleased songs' and then lists them.

There could well be several more - most likely alternate versions of released songs.

That would be the logical assumption, but it was also the logical assumption that Ya-Yas would have alternate versions, and all we got was five songs that weren't on the original LP. Maybe this time we only get three.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2010 05:40

Maybe they've been making Ladies & Gentlemen into an IMAX movie...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2010 11:01

"UrbanSteel's post above gives some good grounds for hoping that 'Ladies & Gentlemen' may be part of the package."

My fear is that we'll be offered a regular dvd as an Exile bonus disc then we'll be offered L&G separately on bluray format at premium price...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 11:36

whatever's given as bonus material i'll take it with no complaints

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:22

Here is the ultimate Sophia Loren song. Maybe the Exile version is an answer?!
Peter Sarstedt, Where Do You Go To My Lovely

You talk like Marlene Dietrich
And you dance like Zizi Jeanmaire
Your clothes are all made by Balmain
And there's diamonds and pearls in your hair

You live in a fancy appartement
Of the Boulevard of St. Michel
Where you keep your Rolling Stones records
And a friend of Sacha Distel

But where do you go to my lovely
When you're alone in your bed
Tell me the thoughts that surround you
I want to look inside your head

I've seen all your qualifications
You got from the Sorbonne
And the painting you stole from Picasso
Your loveliness goes on and on, yes it does

When you go on your summer vacation
You go to Juan-les-Pines
With your carefully designed topless swimsuit
You get an even suntan, on your back and on your legs

When the snow falls you're found in St. Moritz
With the others of the jet-set
And you sip your Napoleon Brandy
But you never get your lips wet

I want to look inside your head, yes I do

Your name is heard in high places
You know the Aga Khan
He sent you a racehorse for chistmas
And you keep it just for fun, for a laugh haha

They say that when you get married
It'll be to a millionaire
But they don't realize where you came from
And I wonder if they really care, they give a damn

I want to look inside your head

I remember the back streets of Naples
Two children begging in rags
Both touched with a burning ambition
To shake off their lowly brown tags, yes they try

So look into my face Marie-Claire
And remember just who you are
Then go and forget me forever
'Cause I know you still bear
the scar, deep inside, yes you do

I know where you go to my lovely
I know the thoughts that surround you
'Cause I can look inside your head

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-04 14:47 by JJHMick.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 4, 2010 12:35

Gazza
Mathijs
Gazza

Mathijs

They might be releasable, but a) they're still a small % of whats been circulated and b) a lot of them seem to come from the same period of the band's career, at a time when they were quite prolific

Totally agree we could easily put together a multi disc anthology but whether there'd be much of value other than alternate versions of the released songs I'm not so convinced about.

Ok, let’s do it. Let’s pick up the hint and send Gazza and Mathijs to the Vaults Headquarters on a mission from the iorr community. Give them a carte blanche and throw in Erik for good measure... >grinning smiley<

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home