Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: UNCUT, Exile re release mention
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 9, 2010 05:36

Well after already having 1 record and 2 cds of the original, I HOPE its remixed so that I'm getting something a bit differant. Just as I Love the Let It Be lp but also appreciate the Let It Be Naked PAUL remix!

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 06:08

Dude there are plenty of songs from this period...Plus alternate versions

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 9, 2010 15:43

Well if that's the case then Mick really doesn't want to remix it. If he really wanted to he would have by now.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 17:32

skipstone
For the MILLIONTH TIME - and yes, this is in all capitals so it's clear:

EXILE ON MAIN STREET IS NOT BEING REMIXED.

Skipstone- Are you saying EXILE might not be remixed??

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: January 9, 2010 17:48

No, right.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 20:29

My bet is as follows:

Disc 1: Remastered Exile
Disc 2: Bonus tracks
Disc 3: Ladies & Gentlemen
Disc 4: New documentary

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 10, 2010 14:27

my guess is this
disc 1. remastered album
disc 2 bonus tracks
disc 3 dvd with 4 or 5 live versions of songs with a 10-15 minute making of the lp documentary

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: January 10, 2010 15:29

Abkco has nothing to do with stuff on Rolling Stones Records..FRom Sticky Fingers on(except for Brown Sugar & Wild Horses)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 10, 2010 17:51

Doesnt Abkco own publishing rights to some of the songs on EXILE??

Date: January 10, 2010 19:57

ABKCO owns the publishing of all the songs on and recorded for Sticky Fingers.

Hence the ABKCO songs on Exile.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 11, 2010 07:46

releasing alternate versions of 38 year old songs does not move me and makes no sense whatsoever.it does not from a commercial standpoint nor does it from the standpoint from the eyes of their loyal fans. considering that there are NUMEROUS songs "in the can", i see no point in it. "Rarites" was a crushing disappointment and the few new tracks on 40 Licks were quite forgettable IMO.

i do not know what Mick and Keith are thinking.they must think that there is too much material to go through and it would be too time consuming to do so. i would gladly volunteer to rummage through the vaults with some of the members on the IORR message board.i think that we could put together a kick ass 2 CD release of new material that would be a best seller. sometimes, a view form the outside is the best way to gain a better all around perspective.i could be wrong.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 11, 2010 08:03

skipstone
ABKCO owns the publishing of all the songs on and recorded for Sticky Fingers.

Hence the ABKCO songs on Exile.

On the UME remasters it says Angie is an ABKCO song, is this true?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 16, 2010 15:16

Yes, three unreleased tracks is not a lot, but personally, I'm excited about this re-release, especially the unreleased tracks. The Stones were obviously at a creative peak in that era, so even the stuff they decided not to release officially is invariably fantastic.

Sophia Loren, Plunder My Soul, Following The River. Hmmmm. I'm hoping these tracks leak out soon, well before the disc is released. My guess as to when they'll leak is early April.

Just my two cents.

Drew

Date: January 16, 2010 16:52

Yes it is true that on the UME Goats Head Soup it says Angie is ABKCO.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 16, 2010 17:00

From Jthe band's side, re-releasing Exile is a lose-lose opportunity :

IF they don't do it fans complain ("no Deluxe ediiton, Jagger lazy bastard")

IF they do re-release it there's little chance the the extra material will please everyone : it will be either "what only 3 extra trax, what a rip-off" or "what? 3 discs of under-rehearsed crap? What a rip-off!"

Sometimes I think the band carries us uber-fans, like an anvil around their neck! smoking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 16, 2010 17:47

All fans with a following who collect unofficial stuff have the same problem. With the Stones its probably magnified somewhat because they dip into their archives so rarely and when they do so, its done pretty sparingly.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 16, 2010 19:38

dcba
From Jthe band's side, re-releasing Exile is a lose-lose opportunity :

IF they don't do it fans complain ("no Deluxe ediiton, Jagger lazy bastard")

IF they do re-release it there's little chance the the extra material will please everyone : it will be either "what only 3 extra trax, what a rip-off" or "what? 3 discs of under-rehearsed crap? What a rip-off!"

Sometimes I think the band carries us uber-fans, like an anvil around their neck! smoking smiley

Sir Mick could care less about the uber-fans as we are not the ones who pay the bills..We are a small minority who support the Stones machine.

The money is in the casual fan who maybe owns HotRocks but still pays the big $$ to say they saw the Stones.

Sir Mick has no interest in the old material and Keef claims he does not have time to sift through what is in the vaults so it is not a matter of being lazy they just don't care about the old stuff......

Date: January 16, 2010 21:05

oldschool
Keef claims he does not have time to sift through what is in the vaults .

He should read thinner books then.

Seriously - he hasn't 'enough time' ?? That's like Elton John claiming he doesn't have 'enough room' to have a dessert.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 18, 2010 18:04

A mixture of unreleased tracks, alternate takes and live would qualify, in mind, as a deluxe edition. Add on "The Making of EOMS" DVD documentary and you've got a good evenings worth of entertainment there.

Someone posted here that EOMS is not being remixed. So can one safely conclude that Don Was' work focused on cleaning up this unreleased material?

This is all just my slavering fan-boy speculation of course!

Date: January 18, 2010 18:14

Yeah. I think it was 'Rolling Stone' who stated some months back that Was' involvement was in mixing the unreleased material

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2010 18:24

I would be fairly positive that the only thing done to the actual album is that Stephen Marcussen remastered it to the same standards as the rest of the Promotone back catalog reissued last year. Don Was mixing and editing 40 year old outtakes doesn't disturb me in the least. I look forward to hearing them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2010 18:32

"I would be fairly positive that the only thing done to the actual album is that Stephen Marcussen remastered it to the same standards as the rest of the Promotone back catalog reissued last year"

we're heading for a disaster then...

Date: January 18, 2010 18:44

Rocky Dijon
I would be fairly positive that the only thing done to the actual album is that Stephen Marcussen remastered it to the same standards as the rest of the Promotone back catalog reissued last year. Don Was mixing and editing 40 year old outtakes doesn't disturb me in the least. I look forward to hearing them.

Especially considering its probably mostly going to be material we don't have an earlier version to compare it to or if in some cases it IS the same versions, its going to be in vastly improved sound quality anyway.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 18, 2010 21:07

I am a little surprise (the operative word being 'little') that Mick didn't show any interest in remixing the album, perhaps as a second disc "alternate mix", since he always maintained that the mix that was officially released was the 'wrong' one. Then again, considering his long-held disinterest in anything related to the past, I am not shocked. I WOULD be curious to hear the album mixed differently just for new perspective, who knows what sounds and notes are there hiding under the muck? But if I could only have one mix, it would be the original, glorious muck and all.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: January 18, 2010 21:59

It's a single CD so considering the running time 3 tracks is the most they can do and they WON'T do a extra disc with 80 minutes of unreleased material and hey better 3 never heard songs than 15 we already have on bootleg many times, right?

Date: January 18, 2010 22:07

Its never been stated that there would just be 3 tracks.

Dont expect a full 80 minutes of unreleased material, but the indications are that there will be more than 3 songs added, so I'd expect CD 1 to be the original album remastered and CD 2 to be the extra tracks.

I dont think theyve delayed the release of this remaster for 12 months just so they can mix 3 songs.

Date: January 18, 2010 23:20

But according to what has been noted, the mixing of the unreleased tracks has long been done. So why the long wait? Yet alone there could have been an extra CD of unreleased tracks (and the B-sides included for that matter) for EVERY studio album from 1971 to 2005 alone.

I'm calling bullshit on UME. They're going to hype something that only a few hundred some people won't ignore.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2010 23:38

The bonus disc of studio tracks has been done for months and the album proper has clearly been remastered for even longer. The hold-up was likely the rumored DVD content. Whether we're getting Robert Frank documentary footage, Rollin Binzer concert footage, or both is what we need to wait to find out. This could be similar to the YA-YA'S Special Edition but with, if you'll pardon the expression, a bigger bang.

Let's hope it sells well enough to warrant the release of the rumored Anthology project even if its only purpose is to put all of the non-LP tracks in one place, that's still an improvement over RARITIES. If rumored sources are correct and the band is considering releasing a selection of nineties outtakes, I'll also be quite pleased. I picked up all of the Universal remasters over the course of the year. I didn't pay full price for any of them, but Stephen Marcussen did a nice job remastering them and I enjoy hearing differences (however slight) considering that I play the Stones almost ceaselessly during my commute to and from work day after day.

I understand people saying the Virgin remasters were fine and they don't need the 2009 remasters. That's certainly true, but how many would turn around and buy test pressings of the same tracks if they leak out on bootleg CDs? To my view, there isn't much difference between the two apart from the fact that the remasters actually let the people involved get paid...apart from Mick Taylor who refuses to speak to a solicitor if his most ardent fans are to be believed, but that's an entirely different matter.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 18, 2010 23:52

The hold up for this release (the tracklisting is already decided a long time ago imo) until May is a marketing choice. A stratagy between ABKCO and Universal about a release campaign which works best for both companies (and the stones) must have been discussed. First the ABKCO box and when the initial copies have been sold, Universal will release their Exile box (May?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-18 23:52 by barbabang.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: January 18, 2010 23:57

Wish we could have something a little more definitive, and less vague about this set.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home