Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Don Was currently mixing Exile outtakes?
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:34

whoever says he is just mixing not producing obviously doesn´t know how important the mixing process is.

i really don´t want no don was. hate his sound!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:38

stoneswashed77
whoever says he is just mixing not producing obviously doesn´t know how important the mixing process is.

i really don´t want no don was. hate his sound!

Agreed!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:48

i for one don't have any stones out-takes... period, so this is exciting news!!

out of interest, what Exile out-takes are there currently in circulation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 16:48 by LastStopThisTown.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:55

LastStopThisTown
i for one don't have any stones out-takes... period, so this is exciting news!!

out of interest, what Exile out-takes are there currently in circulation?

Fast Talking Slow Walking
Fragile (not in circulation)
I Ain't Signifying
Sophia Loren (not in circulation)

These song are from the Nellcote sessions, but reports state that they recorded more than enough songs to fill two double album, so there must be more.

Then there are the released songs on Exile that have some demo versions or outtakes on boots. Most of them were recorded / mixed in L.A. but were worked on since the early seventies.

Some songs that were worked on during the early seventies, before the release of Exile, and therefore might be considered as exile outtakes:

Aladdin Stomp
Candlewick Bedspread (not in circulation)
Hey Mama (not in circulation)
I'm going down
Leather Jacket
Who am I
Aladdin Story
Hide your Love
Potted Shrimp
Red House (not in circlation)
Silver Train
Travellin' Man

So it all depends on what is concidered an Exile outtake.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 17:07 by slasausjes.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:59

Don't add anything to it. There is a good reason why outakes become outakes. Leave Exile as is. Remaster it if they wish but I won't bother buying it.

All this remastering nonsense. Remember all those horrid remasters Mickboy did? Just leave the bloody things alone.

Exile is perfect the way it is - muddiness, bad mixing and all.....

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:30

I think this is great news, and even from this chick, it sounds credible to me.

Like many, I hope they leave Exile mostly as is, but if they can find some other material from these sessions worthy of seeing the light of day....WooHoo!

Personally, I like Don Was and think he does a good job for them, and I think his analysis from the 97 article posted on this topic makes sense.

John

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:36

if they are going to exhume the outtakes from the vaults, then i see no problem exhuming jimmy to do the mixing...i'm sure he has his price

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:42

squando
Don't add anything to it. There is a good reason why outakes become outakes. Leave Exile as is. Remaster it if they wish but I won't bother buying it.

All this remastering nonsense. Remember all those horrid remasters Mickboy did? Just leave the bloody things alone.

Exile is perfect the way it is - muddiness, bad mixing and all.....

Mickboy had no access to master tapes, he took old vinyl pressings, transferred them to digital and then eq'd them. It was not an official project and should not be treated as such. I too agree that they were horrid although a lot of people love them.

As for the outtakes, I personally can't wait.
Let's not forget that "Tattoo You" was made up of outtakes from 1972 onwards and that is considered to be a great Stones album by most.
I think a song should be judged on how it sounds rather than weather or not it was released at the time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:58

T&A
if they are going to exhume the outtakes from the vaults, then i see no problem exhuming jimmy to do the mixing...i'm sure he has his price
once again correct.the only problem mr.miller price will be to much for sir cheapskate ripusstonesfanoff (i made a funny)

Date: June 18, 2009 18:00

The Greek
T&A
once again correct.the only problem mr.miller price will be to much for sir cheapskate ripusstonesfanoff (i made a funny)

maybe we could all chip in. what's the cost of a decent exhumation these days?

Date: June 18, 2009 18:03

T&A
The Greek
T&A

maybe we could all chip in. what's the cost of a decent exhumation these days?
im in , whats a few bucks to help out on a worthy cause !

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:07

I can be as negative as anyone about the Stones' m.o. in the last few years, but I'm pretty amazed at the reaction to all of this.

For the first time ever, the Stones have (or appear to have) done what most of us have wanted them to do, namely sanction an archives release - and theyve gone for a deluxe version of their greatest ever album with bonus material. I'd have thought that would have been cause for a positive reaction. Especially considering how little of the Exile outtakes has ever circulated.

There's no suggestion that anyone is tampering with the original album, apart from it being remastered as has been the case with all the other post-1970 releases. Yet the gripe is the choice of mixing engineer overseeing a collection of leftovers that no one has ever even heard before anyway, which wont be available for maybe six months and which won't sound like the original album anyway, regardless of who was responsible.

Bizarre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 18:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:13

Lorenz
I can't believe you are all moaning that he is remixing those OUTTAKES. He's not producing a new album or rearranging Exile after all...I mean, shouldn't we all really focus on the good part here? We'll get good sounding Exile outtakes!

Amen, Lorenz.

I wonder if we're seeing the start of a case of, be careful what you wish for?

In my couple of years of lurking around here (I love this site but have only recently become a member) I've read more "Open The Vaults" threads than anything other than maybe "No More Warhorses/backing musicians" and "Keith & Ronnie Can't Play" threads. They're opening the vaults!! And now we're going to complain about it? They're opening the vaults!! Let's just hope that this is popular with "non-diehard" fans and maybe they'll open the doors a bit farther.

Personally, I wish they'd just send the tracks to me and let me remix them at my house. That's not going to happen in this or any other version of reality so I've got to trust the Stones to please themselves and know that in general, their decisions will also please me. Will I find faults with whatever is released? Sure I will but that would be true regardless of who's behind the board.

The Stones are opening the vaults!! Who knows, maybe they're lurking around here after all... We'll know for sure if they announce that they're playing album cuts on the next tour!

Peace,
DJA

Date: June 18, 2009 18:14

Gazza
I can be as negative as anyone about the Stones' m.o. in the last few years, but I'm pretty amazed at the reaction to all of this.

For the first time ever, the Stones have (or appear to have) done what most of us have wanted them to do, namely sanction an archives release - and theyve gone for a deluxe version of their greatest ever album with bonus material. I'd have thought that would have been cause for a positive reaction. Especially considering how little of the Exile outtakes has ever circulated.

There's no suggestion that anyone is tampering with the original album, apart from it being remastered as has been the case with all the other post-1970 releases. Yet the gripe is the choice of mixing engineer overseeing a collection of leftovers that no one has ever even heard before anyway, which wont be available for maybe six months and which won't sound like the original album anyway, regardless of who was responsible.

Bizarre.

you aren't as negative as you think you are, you lightweight griper...

my fear is that don will unveil the master tapes of the original recording of SOL, heretofore unknown to be an exile-era outtake...

Date: June 18, 2009 18:17

why the complaints about don (never) was .just check out his work with the stones .i rest my case !

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:18

Hard to win with fans sometimes, isn't it,Gazza? winking smiley

Gazza

Bizarre.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:19

...if it's true that they are considering out takes on a remastered Exile..then the news is a real shift for them. They have been so steadfast against anything like this before....I say bring it all on!!!.....

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:25

Let Jack White do it.

- just don't let him sing

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:32

Rip This
...if it's true that they are considering out takes on a remastered Exile..then the news is a real shift for them. They have been so steadfast against anything like this before....I say bring it all on!!!.....

Yep..thats the whole point. And if the reaction is positive, maybe it'll be an incentive for more.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:51

Some people here need their heads examined. At least wait until the finished product has arrived before you start your bitching and stinking.
If anything, this is good news. How it turns out in the end, one never knows. There have been promising announcments of Stones projects in the past (Memory Hotel outtakes album, 40th Anniversary box set) that came to nothing, ok. This may go the same route, or it may not. Who knows?

Date: June 18, 2009 18:57

alimente
At least wait until the finished product has arrived before you start your bitching and stinking.

how about a little respect for those who like to be the first that told you so? huh? what about those who worry that their bitching and stinking will lost in the morass of bitching and stinking when the finished product arrives? thought about that? please...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:06

Most people seem to want the vaults opened, and they are perhaps opening one a little but by mixing some outtakes. If they are rough and unmixed, they have little commercial value. I doubt Don Was (or anyone) will get the sound as wonderful as Jimmy Miller did, but I am hopeful he will make them more fully listenable.

Now, if he was working on a remix of the album, that would be another story. Any muddiness on the original added to it and should stay there. When I listen to it, i feel like I'm in a basement, with amps cranked up and holding a bottle our bourbon...and not may records can do that....take you to another time, another place (hell, and I don't even drink bourbon!)

Date: June 18, 2009 19:12

look we have all been around the block for a while and when somebody mentions DON WAS,you can hear the EXPECTED groans .we know WAS work with the glimmers .so it's not a strech to hear the ensuing bitching coming from us diehard stones fans .especially when it comes to such an important issue as exile .which come to think of it the proof is in the pudding if this DELUXE EDITION ever happens to begin with .i mean what's sir ripoff gonna come up with genius WAS to use pierre de baupart to do OVERDUBBS on exile outtakes jeez .we have been down this road before .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:13

Here's my so called gripe - if anything from any sessions, no matter what sessions, ends up sounding like Winning Ugly - THEN I'll bitch. Until then, they'll sound as they do. I have an idea but I think a lot of you truly don't, what they will sound like. Y'all just need to wait. And trust the process. If it stinks it stinks. Until then go listen to Streets Of Love....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:22

what was 'Memory Hotel'?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:23

alimente said: There have been promising announcments of Stones projects in the past (Memory Hotel outtakes album...)

what was 'Memory Hotel'?

Posted by: J8ste ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:37

well it's Courtney Love, if she's the only confirmed source... I don't believe it, not the most reliable person.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 18, 2009 20:09

I'm sure that Mrs. Love's claims are reliable. Also they make sense,
as we all know how Universal handles their de luxe-editions. Two discs -
one with the original album, one with demos/outtakes/work-in-progress-takes.

Jagger always had an attitude against releasing rejected tracks.
Now he opened the vaults for his Best-of-album, and he does it again
for one of the most beloved Stones-albums of all time: Exile On Main St..
For me this is the (stones-related) news of the year!

Everyone is cheering for the discovery of new outtakes, even if they
are coming from less popular albums like Dirty Work or Steel Wheels.
Now we will most probably get a disc full of outtakes from Exile and
we should hold our breath. And not worry just because Don Was is
mixing the tracks. He is mixing, not remixing them. Maybe he is putting
Jagger's guide vocals upfront, so we can actually hear them, or he will
even edit some tracks which went nowhere or became a jam after some minutes.
No big deal for me, as I think getting some authorised outtake-release is
much more than we could have hoped for, and I really hope it will be a
success, so we maybe will get some more like that in the near future.

N

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 18, 2009 20:34

Lorenz
I can't believe you are all moaning that he is remixing those OUTTAKES. He's not producing a new album or rearranging Exile after all...I mean, shouldn't we all really focus on the good part here? We'll get good sounding Exile outtakes!

good sounding VL outtakes sounded different on the release.
Even the stones admitted that!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 18, 2009 20:34

T&A
alimente
At least wait until the finished product has arrived before you start your bitching and stinking.

how about a little respect for those who like to be the first that told you so? huh? what about those who worry that their bitching and stinking will lost in the morass of bitching and stinking when the finished product arrives? thought about that? please...

Hmmm, did not think about this aspect...

OK, bitchers and stinkers, keep on bitching and stinking as long as your motives are right.

But check your motives carefully before you start bitching and stinking. Bitching and stinking for the the sake of bitching and stinking is not...politically correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 20:36 by alimente.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home