Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Don Was currently mixing Exile outtakes?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:41

I bet most of the people who are bitching about Don being involved, wouldn't recognize the difference between two different mixes of the same track, one done by him and one mixed by my dog.

C

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:47

liddas
I bet most of the people who are bitching about Don being involved, wouldn't recognize the difference between two different mixes of the same track, one done by him and one mixed by my dog.

C

I'll take that bet, and your doggy would probably do a better job than Don Was.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:58

i guess the negative reaction is at Don Was and his past achievements. It's a like a failed football coach getting another go at it....supporters of that football club would be pissed off he was getting another go after past failures...same here I think... but outtakes sound interesting to me

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:11

liddas

C
Sad but true..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:16

liddas

C

True. Its a sort of 'Chuck Leavell Syndrome' for many, ie if youre unhappy with the Stones' records or live performances, blame a hired hand instead.

Date: June 19, 2009 15:24

I like the idea of a 'Don Was' syndrome. And I'm not unhappy with the Stones, I'm unhappy with the idea that D. W. is mixing the holy grail. It's like giving G. Bush world power.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:28

yapster
Eleanor Rigby
i guess the negative reaction is at Don Was and his past achievements. It's a like a failed football coach getting another go at it....supporters of that football club would be pissed off he was getting another go after past failures...same here I think... but outtakes sound interesting to me

"Past failures" is an opinion, not fact. If you think that these songs are mixed poorly prior to even hearing them, then guess what? You will not enjoy them, due to some predetermined thought that they will be inferiour.

You shoot yourself in the foot before the big race.

i never said "past failures" just "past achievements", just my perception of people's thoughts about this guy....

Don't shoot yourself in the foot....

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:28

Please let's keep things in perspective. How many people did complain? (5?)

For the vast majority of our group die-hards (including myself), this is the best news ever. I think 99% of us are very happy with the prospect of hearing unreleased material. Hopefully this is only the beginning.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:38

Agreed, very exciting.
It'll be interesting to see how much 'extra' is given to this deluxe edition. 'Who's Next' Deluxe for example only has 6 unreleased tracks, plus a live set.
BUT, anything is better than nothing. AND, i would like to see L&G available for the general public, finally they'll also get the opportunity to view the band in its prime.

Date: June 19, 2009 15:47

slasausjes
I like the idea of a 'Don Was' syndrome. And I'm not unhappy with the Stones, I'm unhappy with the idea that D. W. is mixing the holy grail.

Who would you suggest?

If its the 'holy grail', then by that logic, no one would be worthy and these songs should be left to gather dust in a vault.

And again, he's not remixing Exile on Main Street (in which case the criticism would be justified). He's mixing a few outtakes. They're not going to sound like the released songs anyway, regardless of who does them.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 19, 2009 16:19

TY is a great album - but that is different in that it was an album in itself. I am not interested in songs being tacked onto to already great albums - it diminshes them. Look how the Who cocked up the masterpiece Who's Next with the additions?

Open the vaults yada yada by all means - just put the material out ala TY.

As for remastering - it really doesn't enhance much. Leave Exile as is without additions is my opinion. I am not bitching about something yet to be released regarding the quality of the additional content - I object to the additional content and that is my gripe.

I also really don't care about opening vaults as is gone on so much around here. So many of the outakes that are bootlegged are rubbish and it is easy to hear why they didn't make the cut. Obviously opinions will vary but most of the gear on the outake series of those 8 albums are pretty poor.

I find it hard to understand why so many here are desperate to hear 35 year old outakes from a band that has delivered what - 400 odd plus songs already?

Of the outakes that are regarded as decent by the record execs - why not just release them as an anthology or series or something of that nature if it is deemed a good idea to release them at all? Mick and Keith cannot be bothered obviously wading thru thousands of hours of tapes and who can blame them? Don't think anymore "Never stop"'s are hiding in the wings.

Date: June 19, 2009 16:41

Gazza
slasausjes
I like the idea of a 'Don Was' syndrome. And I'm not unhappy with the Stones, I'm unhappy with the idea that D. W. is mixing the holy grail.

Who would you suggest?

If its the 'holy grail', then by that logic, no one would be worthy and these songs should be left to gather dust in a vault.

And again, he's not remixing Exile on Main Street (in which case the criticism would be justified). He's mixing a few outtakes. They're not going to sound like the released songs anyway, regardless of who does them.

If he is remixing the outtakes, he might as well be remixing the album, sound logic to me. I would let Jack White do the job.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 16:41

Maybe they will ask Mick Taylor to come back and mix outatakes

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2009 17:40

What I don't understand is : one of the Stones's mottos was "a producer is like oil to an engine. You need to change frequently".
And they're stuck with Was for what... FIFTEEN years.

Even Dylan kicked him after a single album...

Date: June 19, 2009 17:46

slasausjes
Gazza
slasausjes

Who would you suggest?

If he is remixing the outtakes, he might as well be remixing the album, sound logic to me. I would let Jack White do the job.

As the reissue of Exile is part of the Universal remasters series, there's no indication that he or anyone else will be remixing it.

Regardless of who would be mixing it, it would sound different from the original. There's no more guarantee that a 'good' producer/mixer would improve on it any more than there is that a 'bad' one would make a balls of it.

Date: June 19, 2009 17:49

Gazza
slasausjes
Gazza
slasausjes

Who would you suggest?

As the reissue of Exile is part of the Universal remasters series, there's no indication that he or anyone else will be remixing it.

Regardless of who would be mixing it, it would sound different from the original. There's no more guarantee that a 'good' producer/mixer would improve on it any more than there is that a 'bad' one would make a balls of it.

The indicition could be that this one is going to be a deluxe edition.

Sure, no guarantee that a producer will improve the sound. Just one guarantee: Don Was will murder the sound death dry.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 19, 2009 17:50

dcba
What I don't understand is : one of the Stones's mottos was "a producer is like oil to an engine. You need to change frequently".
And they're stuck with Was for what... FIFTEEN years.

Even Dylan kicked him after a single album...
bob dylan is no dummy

Date: June 19, 2009 17:58

slasausjes
[.

The indication could be that this one is going to be a deluxe edition.

[/quote]

Yes, most likely the standard Universal remaster of the original (as is the case with all the other EMI studio albums) plus a bonus disc of outtakes (and maybe even a DVD according to some sources)

There's been no suggestion anywhere that the original 18-song album is getting anything other than a remaster.

Like I said, its a bit pointless saying he'll get 'a dry sound' when you've no original tapes to compare it to other than a few unmixed bootleg recordings of less than perfect quality, which may not even be whats being used anyway.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 19, 2009 18:05

don doesn't write the crappy songs these guys have been writing the past 20+ years - it's the writer, not the producer - to update an old adage

Date: June 19, 2009 18:20

Like I said, its a bit pointless saying he'll get 'a dry sound' when you've no original tapes to compare it to other than a few unmixed bootleg recordings of less than perfect quality, which may not even be whats being used anyway.

Sure, I can't compare it. Just thinking about the Potential these outtakes might have with a better producer.

If you give some unreleased footage of a movie to, let's say: Martin Scorsese, you can bet your life on it that he will make something better out of it then, let say: the guy who directed beverly hills 90210. You know that BEFORE even seeing the thing, it's just that obvious. Same in this case.

Jack White or Don Was..... that's a no brainer.
Brian Eno or Don Was..... that's a no brainer.

And so on.

Date: June 19, 2009 18:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 18:24 by slasausjes.

Date: June 19, 2009 18:33

slasausjes
If you give some unreleased footage of a movie to, let's say: Martin Scorsese, you can bet your life on it that he will make something better out of it then, let say: the guy who directed beverly hills 90210.
You know that BEFORE even seeing the thing, it's just that obvious..

you mean as obvious as the brilliant job he did with the archive footage in SAL?eye rolling smiley

slasausjes
Same in this case..

Its not really. Theres a world of difference between a movie and a collection of old studio reels!!

slasausjes
Jack White or Don Was..... that's a no brainer.
Brian Eno or Don Was..... that's a no brainer.

And so on.

I like both of those guys. Believe it or not, I'm not particularly a big fan of Was despite what you may think of my posts in this thread. I just think the whole thing is largely irrelevant and because someone happens to be doing something thats shit hot in 2009 doesnt mean they're going to create something brilliant with something from 1972 that maybe wasnt that good to begin with. You're also getting into the discussion of White and Eno as producers. This is about mixing. (And excellent a producer as Eno is, it doesn't necessarily follow that he'd be right for the Stones. Spector didnt exactly improve The Beatles, did he? And even Jimmy Miller ran out of steam by the time he was making GHS)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 18:34 by Gazza.

Date: June 19, 2009 18:58

Agreed that Miller had a burn out. But that was after many albums. If you give Jack White a chance at something like this, you'll have him fresh as hell.

Scorsese didn't do a good job on the archive bits on SAL, but besides that,
you'll get the point I was making there!

Let's just agree to disagree.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 19, 2009 18:58

wow iam so glad no one is speculating around here

Date: June 19, 2009 19:56

slasausjes
Agreed that Miller had a burn out. But that was after many albums. If you give Jack White a chance at something like this, you'll have him fresh as hell.

Scorsese didn't do a good job on the archive bits on SAL, but besides that,
you'll get the point I was making there!

Let's just agree to disagree.

No. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 20:40

squando

I also really don't care about opening vaults as is gone on so much around here. So many of the outakes that are bootlegged are rubbish and it is easy to hear why they didn't make the cut. Obviously opinions will vary but most of the gear on the outake series of those 8 albums are pretty poor.

I find it hard to understand why so many here are desperate to hear 35 year old outakes from a band that has delivered what - 400 odd plus songs already?

Mick and Keith cannot be bothered obviously wading thru thousands of hours of tapes and who can blame them? Don't think anymore "Never stop"'s are hiding in the wings.

post of the year. +1

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 19, 2009 20:49

its not so much audio vaults , the live concert video vaults are the true treasure, i agree with the audio post above, but a full concert from lets say 73 or 78 or 69 would truly be fantastic

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 19, 2009 20:50

melillo
its not so much audio vaults , the live concert video vaults are the true treasure, i agree with the audio post above, but a full concert from lets say 73 or 78 or 69 would truly be fantastic

I'd like to see some CD/DVD sets like what Led Zeppelin and The Who have done...but it'll never happen...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 19, 2009 20:50

....surely you jest....and what if another......I Don't Know Why.....exists...??????

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 19, 2009 20:57

Rip This
....surely you jest....and what if another......I Don't Know Why.....exists...??????

Well that would be awesome, but I won't hold my breath...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home