Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: List of Official Non-album tracks [Rarities Done Right]
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 8, 2023 00:45

wiredallnight
exilestones

I'm missing a few volumes of this outstanding collection. I'd like to download all of them again.

I'm confused about WLR. Thank you!

Maybe I could help with some upgrades.

Only 2 volumes have been compiled by somebody (I don't know who) and "distributed". It's the versions from 2013-01-13 and 2018-03-30. All the earlier volumes do not exist as a collection of song files afaik.

Thank you

Date: February 8, 2023 00:48

Has "Under My Thumb" from the original "Got Live If You Want It" LP ever been released on CD?

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: February 8, 2023 03:53

exilestones
Has "Under My Thumb" from the original "Got Live If You Want It" LP ever been released on CD?

Yes, its on pg. 43 and here. I'm not sure of the date of release, but its between 1984-1988.

Date: February 8, 2023 17:20

blakeeik
exilestones

Yes, its on pg. 43 and here. I'm not sure of the date of release, but its between 1984-1988.

I did read about that Got Live 'Under My Thumb' in your most informative Rarities Done Right document.

I'm a little confused about "Under My Thumb" from "Got Live If You Want It!"

Recently I read there was a version of "Under My Thumb" from "Got Live If You Want It!" that was never released on CD, only on LP. (I know, "Since I read it on the Internet it must be true.")

Here are my notes on "Got Live If You Want It!" "Under My Thumb." I only have two performances of the song listed.

"Under My Thumb" – October 1, 1966, City Hall, Newcastle on LP and CD
"Under My Thumb" – October 7, 1966 Colston Hall, Bristol on CD

David Goodwin & Luke Pac lists some differences between several tracks when reviewing "Got Love If You Want It!" in their "Stones in Stereo" report. Writing about "Got Love If You Want It!" from The Remastered Series (2002)...

"ABKCO singled out Got Live If You Want It! for a complete re-working/re-assembling. Among some of the resultant changes: the album now has a "different" introduction (the original mix cut off the intro after the introduction of Bill Wyman), and "Under My Thumb" has a different vocal."

So, "Under My Thumb" on the 2002 CD/SACD is the same performance as the Old Abkco CD, but with different vocals ("Under My Thumb" – October 7, 1966 Colston Hall, Bristol)?

I wonder how many variations of "Under My Thumb" are there on all of the various official releases?

Great job on "Rarities Done Right." It's also a most gorgeous document.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: February 8, 2023 20:03

Writing about the german GLIYWI stereo CD [820 137-2] and the newer mono mix, which I bought as a download album. There are more differences between this old stereo mix and the newer mono releases:

- Intro, longer on new mix
- Under My Thumb, different track or different vocal mix
- Not Fade Away, longer outro on new mix
- I 've Been Loving You Too Long, live overdubs on stereo version (old), overdubs on mono version (new). The stereo version was released decades later, without overdubs.
- Fortune Teller, no harmonica version on new mix, harmonica version on old mix
- The Last Time, shorter "Satisfaction" intro on new mix
- 19th Nervous Breakdown, longer outro on new mix
- Time Is On My Side, totally different new mix
- I'm Alright, longer outro on new mix
- Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, longer outro on new mix
- Satisfaction, shorter mono edit (new mix)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-08 21:15 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: February 9, 2023 02:59

I agree with BT2G. I will add, there are 2 basic versions, as he said:

The 1st version starts "Ladies and Gentleman, its all about to happen."
It was released as a mono and stereo LP. The stereo LP was not mixed well - for example, the studio tracks Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You Too Long have most of the audience on one channel. Instruments were not separated on the whole album, just the audience and vocal overdubs. It does not sound natural - I much prefer the mono version. This version was also released as "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Live" in some countries. The only CD of version 1 I know of (besides bootlegs) is the German 1984 London stereo CD that also fades each track in and out.

The 2nd version starts "Oh yes, and the Stones you shall have..."
I think all releases of this version are considered "stereo" but again, not really true stereo, very narrow and probably sourced from a mono recording. BT2G summarizes the other differences nicely. But besides Under My Thumb, there are more similarities than differences between versions. Version 2 is the only version you can buy now, and the 2002 remaster did a decent job for what that had to work with.

The whole album is known to be somewhat of oddball that may be a sign of the times for recording live shows in 1965-66. Of course there are rumors that the whole thing was manufactured in the studio, etc. But I still like it, regardless, because it is one of few chances I can imagine myself at one of these concerts as a teenager going bonkers.

You may find other lore on the Internet that claims there are other versions, etc., and that could be, but these are facts I can confirm.

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: February 9, 2023 06:35

wiredallnight
exilestones

I'm missing a few volumes of this outstanding collection. I'd like to download all of them again.

I'm confused about WLR. Thank you!

Maybe I could help with some upgrades.

Only 2 volumes have been compiled by somebody (I don't know who) and "distributed". It's the versions from 2013-01-13 and 2018-03-30. All the earlier volumes do not exist as a collection of song files afaik.

Do you have the tracklist of the 2018-03-30 version?

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: February 9, 2023 19:36

gonzalo76

These are the artworks of the discs put together in one pdf file: [we.tl]

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: February 11, 2023 16:29

wiredallnight
gonzalo76

Many thanks WAN! But I'm confussed. The artwork is different than the one made by Strettonbull (who also made the audio compilation):

Date: February 12, 2023 00:46

gonzalo76
wiredallnight
gonzalo76

Many thanks WAN! But I'm confussed. The artwork is different than the one made by Strettonbull (who also made the audio compilation):

The artwork above matches the download I have. Is the whole set of artwork available?

Date: February 12, 2023 00:54

A friend wrote...

"Got Live If You Want It"

(London CDs) POCD 1918 (Japan) is the same as P25L 25038 (Japan). It is stereo and is based on 'MFSL' (or 'Decca') stereo tape transfer that was used for West German 820 137-2. Noting new.

2002 SACD is the same as any 2002 SACD. The tape apparently is the same as (or closely related to) 1986 'old' ABKCO. I do not hear too many differences. Surely, the end of the disc (outro) was trimmed.

No matter what they say about improvements, it looks like another tape transfer with some equalization. It is still a 'weird stereo' edition that is not even close to mono. I am surprised that so many people still call that old ABKCO CD 'mono'. The whole thing sounds badly produced 'electronically reprocessed stereo'. In terms of mono/stereo 2002 remaster, it's not any better than 1986.

Date: February 12, 2023 13:40

exilestones
gonzalo76
wiredallnight
gonzalo76

The artwork above matches the download I have. Is the whole set of artwork available?

Your artwork is from the 2013 version, the one from me from the 2018 version. I think the newer artworks were made by Blake himself (?). there are only the front covers existing, at least that's what I have. The pictures were originally in jpg format, but I don't have them anymore, I only kept this selfmade pdf file.

Date: February 12, 2023 17:25

wiredallnight
exilestones
gonzalo76
wiredallnight
gonzalo76

Your artwork is from the 2013 version, the one from me from the 2018 version. I think the newer artworks were made by Blake himself (?). there are only the front covers existing, at least that's what I have. The pictures were originally in jpg format, but I don't have them anymore, I only kept this selfmade pdf file.

Thank you. All the different versions got confusing.

I'm looking forward to the next update! I hope whoever compiles the next release puts a date on it to match Blake's list.

WLR Rarities - Apparently Rarities Done Right was taken by someone on IORR and released they it on the WLR label.

Date: February 12, 2023 17:27

written by advancecharmander:

This is a comparison between the original mono and stereo mixes and the SACD remix of the Rolling Stones' "Got Live If You Want It!" LP. This is the first time I've tried something like this, so there might be a few oversights or errors. It mainly compares a needle-drop of my red-label London LP and the 2002 SACD, but the other releases get brought up when needed.

01. Under My Thumb

• The LP mixes features a very brief introduction to the show by Long John Baldry, the announcer during the Stones’ fall 1966 tour. Cuts off shortly after “Over there, Billy Wyman!”
• The SACD features a complete recording of the intro, different from what was released in 1966.
• The mono version features a very short cut during the drum intro at around 0:31. This remains uncut on the stereo LP. The rest of the song otherwise seems to be identical, including the overdubbed backing vocals and marimba.
• The remix features its own cut as well, at around 0:35.
• The remix also removes all of the extra things above, and either uses a different vocal overdub, or the original live vocal. Either way, this seems to be the most accurate representation of what was actually recorded.
• The backing vocals seem to seep through at 2:16. This isn’t the only time something like this would happen.
• One thing to note is that the mono version seems to use the audience as a way to transition, while the stereo LP uses hard cuts.

02. Get Off Of My Cloud

• The vocals are mostly identical between the original and the remix, timed differently at points (for example: “doing fine”).
• At this point, I began to notice the timing of when each track began on the SACD is more or less the way it should on the mono LP. The “stereo mix” I’m using is not the original LP, but rather the London CD, which complicated things a bit further by adding fades.
• Mick thanks the audience on the SACD before the next song begins, muted on the mono LP.

03. Lady Jane

• Like the previous song, the vocal is timed differently when comparing the two tracks, but to a more severe level. Who knows what happened during the remixing process on the SACD, but the vocal does not match with the rest of the song. By the final verse, it’s way off beat. This problem didn’t exist on the LP, so what happened?
• There’s a guitar overdubbed on the original mix, but is not in tune with the backing track. Removed from the SACD remix.
• Audience ambience lasts longer on the SACD.

04. Not Fade Away

• There is a cut in the intro that lasts for about 4 seconds on the SACD, but is uncut on the original mix.
• The vocal is also drenched in artificial reverb. This is a thing that existed throughout the remix, but is more noticeable on this song.
• Audience ambience lasts longer on the SACD. Features Mick speaking and a chord on the electric piano (the latter being a new overdub).

05. I’ve Been Loving You Too Long

• One of the studio tracks included. Why? Who knows. The stereo mixes for this song (and the next) make it really obvious that these aren’t live tracks.
• In 2002, with the remastering of the Rolling Stones’ 1960s discography, came the first time this song was released in stereo, no audience track included. A similar treatment for the mono version came in 2016 with the ‘in Mono’ box set.

06. Fortune Teller

• This was recorded in 1963, meant for release as the Stones’ second single, but withdrawn in favor of “I Wanna Be Your Man”. It was later released on a multi-artist LP (“Saturday Club”, with its B-side “Poison Ivy”), and a single release in Australia.
• There’s actually two mixes for this song. The first is the more common, being what was used on the Got Live! LP mix, and most albums featuring the clean studio track. The second mix, removing the harmonica, was used on the 1980s remix for Got Live!, and its subsequent remaster in 2002.

07. The Last Time

• The stereo mix is the only version that has the full countdown. The other mixes have it slightly obscured by the audience.
• The first time the riff is played is for whatever reason, removed on the SACD.
• Some of Mick and Keith’s overdubbed vocals are removed on the remix, leaving the middle section completely instrumental.

08. 19th Nervous Breakdown

• The audience ambience before this song differs between the two mixes.
• The original mix features a tambourine. This is either mixed out or lower on the SACD, since it does appear every now and then on said mix.
• There is a phasing effect that randomly appears on the SACD.

09. Time Is On My Side

• Both the SACD and LP versions have different performances, and I believe both to be the real deal.
• The ‘Charlie Is My Darling’ box set has a new narrow stereo mix for the performance from the SACD, which is from the England tour of 1965 (the time when the EP Got Live If You Want It! was recorded)
• The LP performance, although not confirmed to be real, has some evidence to show that it is real. For one, Mick sounds worn out, different from what we’ve been hearing before on the 1966 songs (clean vocal overdubs). The audience also seems to bleed through on the vocal track, more audible on the stereo mix. This is just theorization, so don’t take these observations as fact.

10. I’m Alright

• These two tracks are completely identical between the SACD and original LP mixes.
• The track was released beforehand on EP (of the same name) with a different vocal track. It is currently unknown which of the two is the true live vocal.
• The mono LP features speech, which is partially included on the SACD, and muted on the stereo LP.

11. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

• Most of the song is actually identical among each version. The only difference to note is the vocals being drenched in reverb on the SACD.
• There might be piano on the original mono LP, although mixed low. This is definitely removed from the SACD remix.
• The big differences come in how the track ends. The mono LP cuts off early, the SACD continues a bit longer, ending right before the final cymbal crashes, and the stereo LP features the full thing, crossfaded into a performance of Satisfaction.

12. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

• How the track starts differs between the stereo mix and the original mono mix. On the stereo mix, the previous song is transitioned into the first riff of Satisfaction. Following this, it abruptly cuts to the performance similar to the mono mix. The mono and SACD remix simply feature the uncut intro.
• The main bulk of the song is identical between the mixes. The piano is an added overdub.
• The SACD remix is edited so the ending section is a lot shorter than it normally is (on the LP). All fade out however.
• The original ABKCO CD after fading out the song, crossfades to audience ambience, and house music can be heard playing before it fades out for the final time. This only appears on the 1986 ABKCO CD.

Date: February 12, 2023 23:28

exilestones

I'm looking forward to the next update! I hope whoever compiles the next release puts a date on it to match Blake's list.

One could basically use the 2018 version for it and work in the changes and new tracks since then.

WLR Rarities - Apparently Rarities Done Right was taken by someone on IORR and released they it on the WLR label.

But with errors and wrong versions included - WLR bullshit simply...

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: February 13, 2023 23:17

wiredallnight
exilestones

One could basically use the 2018 version for it and work in the changes and new tracks since then.

But with errors and wrong versions included - WLR bullshit simply...
I'm glad I own this bullshit in the original though.

Posted by: girl2003 ()
Date: July 18, 2023 20:47

Hi,
could anyone of you nice people be so kind and reupload the covers for this RARITIES DONE RIGHT set again, please? (It would be VERY helpful!)

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home