Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 205
Re: OT - Shocking Blue - Venus
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 10, 2017 18:49

Robbie van Leeuwen was as well bandmember in The Motions another great band from The Hague and the Ricochets who opened for The Stones in Scheveningen in 1964.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 10, 2017 19:18

corriecas
Mariska veres was one sexy girl. Shocking blue was a dutch, famous band. Good music !
jeroen

She sure was, but at the time being young in the USA, all you heard was the song on AM radio or on a 45 record. What a shock to discover that voice was a she. I had to check to make sure it wasn't a parody or something else, you never know on YouTube.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 10, 2017 19:30

After hearing "Venus" for decades, didn't know it was a she until a friend clued me in a couple of years ago. Opposite thing happened with the song "Jackie Blue" - always thought it was a female singing, when it was actually a guy!

Date: January 10, 2017 19:32

marcovandereijk
The Sicilian
Interesting, nobody received credit for the keyboard work in the song yet it was a big part of the sound.

I think Cees Schrama plays the organ on Venus. He played a lot of studio sessions in
The Hague at the time.
Here's Cees with his own (short lived) band Casey and the Pressure Group:

That's a cool song, how can this guy not get any credit for Venus? That must of been terrible for this musician, especially with the record going to number 1. That keyboard was not some filler instrument in the song.

Date: January 10, 2017 19:35

Jah Paul
After hearing "Venus" for decades, didn't know it was a she until a friend clued me in a couple of years ago. Opposite thing happened with the song "Jackie Blue" - always thought it was a female singing, when it was actually a guy!

"Jackie Blue" stills pops in my head from time to time. As soon as meet some girl named Jackie the song starts to play. A few years back we had a girl named Jackie working for us and I would always call her Jackie Blue. Man was she hot.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 10, 2017 20:04

Silver Dagger
Hey The Sicilan - even better than Venus is this great rocker from Shocking Blue.

Love it Silver Dagger. Some parts remind me of Grace and the Airplane (guitar sounds a bit like Jorma Kaukonen). Amazing how much music can be missed in ones life time...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2017 21:19

I'd been listening to At Home for a while. At first, I thought it was a greatest hits album, given that it was the expanded version and had some additional singles and B-sides. Then I started collecting all their albums.

Shocking Blue started out with a male lead singer for their first album. At Home is actually their second album. Mariska Veres became such a signature part of their sound and identity that they named their fourth album "3rd Album", because it was the third album on which she sang.
The Bird Of Paradise from 3rd Album: [www.youtube.com]

I really like the album Atilla, which has these three distinctive tracks:
Never Release The One You Love: [www.youtube.com]
A Waste Of Time: [www.youtube.com]
Wait: [www.youtube.com]

They made an album in 1974 without Robbie van Leeuwen. It had a good opening song, but overall it was so-so. He was the reason for the quality of their output, though it wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Mariska Veres. As pointed out above, the music is Airplane inspired, and I believe Mariska was chosen to sing with them because her sound reminded them of Grace Slick. No doubt that style appealed to them -- there's even a song on At Home called California Here I Come.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 10, 2017 21:23

Jah Paul

I always knew about Venus being a female voice but did not know about Jackie Blue being male until last year.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 10, 2017 21:39

Check out their vedio "send me a postcard" definitely has an Jefferson Airplane sound and reminds me a little of Rock me Baby by SteppenWolf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:31

virgil
Jah Paul

I always knew about Venus being a female voice but did not know about Jackie Blue being male until last year.

I didn't know about Jackie Blue until just now smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:57

Elmo Lewis
Later covered by Bananarama

And Kate Pierson (B-52s).

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: January 11, 2017 00:20

Shocking Blue - Hot Sand, the B-Side of Venus! Very good song.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2017 00:57

Never heard this Shocking Blue song until today - it should have been a worldwide hit!

From 1969: California Here I Come

Thanks for starting this thread Sicilian - looking forward to discovering some other long lost hidden gems from them! cool smiley thumbs up

Date: January 11, 2017 02:24

A standout track from Scorpio's Dance, the second album with Mariska Veres as lead singer, is Daemon Lover: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 02:39 by stonehearted.

Date: January 11, 2017 02:38

Mighty Joe, a non-album single, the follow-up to Venus, was an international European hit in 1969 (#1 Netherlands; #6 Germany; #8 France): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2017 03:05

Found a Stones/Shocking Blue connection...singer Mariska Veres covering Paint it Black.

Mariska Veres- Paint it Black

Recorded in 2001 as part of a compilation cd for a cancer clinic in Rotterdam, and is not on any official albums.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2017 16:42

Wouldn't Shocking Pink have been a better name? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 11, 2017 16:46

Elmo Lewis
Wouldn't Shocking Pink have been a better name? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Haha It's too late

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 11, 2017 19:57

Elmo Lewis

Already a Pink as in Frijid Pink : from 1970, House Of The Rising Sun:[www.youtube.com]

Anyone remember this?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 21:32

Folks, why aren't the youtube videos showing up? The links do, but on the original post and several others no videos?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2017 21:36

Nirvana's Shocking Blue cover, Love Buzz ... such a great cover, it doesn't get much more kick-ass than this!

Nirvana, Love Buzz

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 11, 2017 22:08

For newbie the best introduction to Shocking Blue (both in terms of song selection and sound wise) would be old Japanese CD The Best Of Shocking Blue (Japan, Victor VDP-5049)

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 11, 2017 23:22

video: [youtu.be]

Fantastic clip of Robbie van Leeuwen playing an acoustic guitar version (very short) of VENUS.

At the end he says: "Nou... Mag ik nauw naar huis" = Can I go HOME now? thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 23:25 by RipThisBone.

Date: January 11, 2017 23:46

Interview with original drummer and Mariska Veres 1988 from Dutch TV.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 12, 2017 00:09

Hij heeft wel een punt met de Beatles invloed ....ik denk aan de guitar lick altijd aan Get Back..................

Date: January 12, 2017 00:19

Not long time ago my brother in law spoke with Robby van Leeuwen............he ask him what he earned with Venus well it made him a millionaire.

Funny thing is that they didn't reach at number one in the Netherlands..............

Not to forget they where very popular in Japan.............

"Venus" is a 1969 song written by Robbie van Leeuwen. In 1970, the Dutch rock band Shocking Blue took the song to number one in nine countries. In 1981 it was sampled[citation needed] as part of the Stars on 45 medley. In 1986, the British female pop group Bananarama returned the song to number one in seven countries. The composition has been featured in numerous films, television shows and commercials, and covered dozens of times by artists around the world.

Chart (1970) Peak position
Australia (Kent Music Report)[6] 1
Austrian singles chart 2
Belgium singles chart 1
Canadian singles chart 1
Dutch Top 40 Single Chart 3
Finnish singles chart 8
French singles chart 1
German singles chart 2
Irish singles chart 10
Italy singles chart 1
Japan Oricon Singles Chart 2
Spanish singles chart 1
Swiss singles chart 1
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 1
UK Singles Chart[7] 8

Date: January 12, 2017 00:40

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 00:43 by RipThisBone.

Date: January 12, 2017 00:59

RipThisBone

At 0:48 the interviewer asks the drummer -who was a bit drunk- why Venus became such a big hit.The only significant answer the drummer gave was that "he wasn't allowed to talk about it". The interview was done before it became public that "Venus" was re-arrangement of "the Banjo Song". A very good arrangement I must say.

Date: January 12, 2017 01:41

TheflyingDutchman
RipThisBone

At 0:48 the interviewer asks the drummer -who was a bit drunk- why Venus became such a big hit.The only significant answer the drummer gave was that "he wasn't allowed to talk about it". The interview was done before it became public that "Venus" was re-arrangement of "the Banjo Song". A very good arrangement I must say.

I thought he talked about the Beatles................

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There is nothing new under the sun..............
[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 12, 2017 13:13

NICOS

I thought he talked about the Beatles................

Yes he did talk about the Beatles. Strange observation on the drummer's behalf, as there was nothing new under the sun in the band at that time one might guess.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...152153154155156157158159160161162...LastNext
Current Page: 157 of 205

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home