Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: R.I.P. Paul Newman
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 27, 2008 21:33

Another side of Paul Newman:

RIP

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:01

Why is Elton John changing his tire?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:15

...because he wants to get down on his knees...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:30

circa 2002.

with thanks to Fabio Hot Stuff, over at RO

[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:05

Great pics, Adrian!

As stated in many posts above, I knew he was ill but still wanted him to live forever.....he 1st came into my universe with Butch and the Sting, but what a joy it was to "catch up." Love him as Brick.

And a nice guy as well.....job well done, Mr. Newman.....

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:13

RIP Paul Newman, you were great and you will be missed! Thanx for your great movies!

Ladykiller

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:20

A sad loss, what a wonderful actor the man was. I grew up, like many of us, seeing his films, and stil lcount the likes of "Cool Hand Luke" "The Sting" among my all-time favourites.

A genuine, down to Earth guy - there is a great photo of him in the department here, when he visited, surrounded by the staff in the canteen, they have fond memories of the man, as do we all.

R.I.P. Paul.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:32

A great actor and human being.A sad loss of an ordinary ,down to earth man in the glitzy glamorous world of showbiz.Not many of his type left.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:56

well, you get old if you are lucky and then you die. What is so sad about that?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:15

Hey, where was the picture of Paul and Keith taken and when? I think that's Jimmy Naughton behind Keith looking amused. I'm guessing it was near Weston, Conn...am I right? Or maybe at Limerock?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 28, 2008 03:33

A brilliant actor, though I wish I could say the same about most of the films he played in.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 28, 2008 07:23

R.I.P, Paul. Thanks.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 28, 2008 10:26

sad News... RIP.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 28, 2008 12:14

charismatic

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2008 14:12

RIP

I am ashamed to admit that I have not seen one single film of his. That'll have to change!

Date: September 28, 2008 14:20

Big Al
RIP

I am ashamed to admit that I have not seen one single film of his. That'll have to change!

Here's a good start:

[www.imdb.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 28, 2008 18:14

Great person.

Did much for children around the globe with his "Hole In The Wall" camps.

RIP Paul Newman..........

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 28, 2008 18:37

One of the most amazing Paul Newman films--one that wasn't a huge hit when released, but has gained a cult following over the years--is Slap Shot.

The language in it shocked a lot of people at the time. (1977) Sure, there had been films with a lot of f-bombs before (one, The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson, had it's release delayed an entire year because of the sheer volume of swear words. Great movie by the way) but not one with a star from Newman's generation.

It was so far ahead of it's time, that it didn't connect with Newman's core audience. But it's a GREAT film.

And it's hilarious. I remember watching it at the Chinese Theatre and at one point laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face.

When I read the post about the Mick and Keith dolls, it reminded me of Newman's line in the film when he finds the Hanson Brothers (characters in the film) playing with slot cars.

His delivery is so perfect. Whenever I see stuff like that (Mick and Keith dolls) I think of Newman saying that line.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2008 22:11

From Hud to Mr. and Mrs. Bridges...Good acting, great guy.

Thank you, Paul Newman (1925-2008).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 29, 2008 09:20

Interesting to hear that Newman always thought acting
wasn't easy for him, wasn't something that came naturally,
he really had to work at it, which is probably why he was so humble.

Date: October 2, 2008 03:58

Program alert!

Paul Newman on the BIO channel in America starting now.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 2, 2008 04:19

loog droog
One of the most amazing Paul Newman films--one that wasn't a huge hit when released, but has gained a cult following over the years--is Slap Shot.

The language in it shocked a lot of people at the time. (1977) Sure, there had been films with a lot of f-bombs before (one, The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson, had it's release delayed an entire year because of the sheer volume of swear words. Great movie by the way) but not one with a star from Newman's generation.

It was so far ahead of it's time, that it didn't connect with Newman's core audience. But it's a GREAT film.

And it's hilarious. I remember watching it at the Chinese Theatre and at one point laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face.

When I read the post about the Mick and Keith dolls, it reminded me of Newman's line in the film when he finds the Hanson Brothers (characters in the film) playing with slot cars.

His delivery is so perfect. Whenever I see stuff like that (Mick and Keith dolls) I think of Newman saying that line.

Yes. A really funny film that became a cult classic. I know guys who when drunk will quote whole passages from that film( same phenomenon with a Saturday Night live skit called the Sinatra Group based on the McLaughlin Group news program BTW).

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 2, 2008 04:20

Barn Owl
A brilliant actor, though I wish I could say the same about most of the films he played in.

Huh?

You don't like most of his films? None, or most, were not brilliant?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-02 06:14 by deadegad.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 2, 2008 05:38

A tremendous actor with many great films. Cool Hand Luke is an all time classic. "What we have here is a failure to communicate", "Shakin it here boss", "Nobody can eat 50 eggs" "He was smiling... That's right. You know, that, that Luke smile of his. He had it on his face right to the very end. Hell, if they didn't know it 'fore, they could tell right then that they weren't a-gonna beat him. That old Luke smile. Oh, Luke. He was some boy. Cool Hand Luke. Hell, he's a natural-born world-shaker."

Date: October 2, 2008 05:49

deadegad
[
I know guys who when drunk will quote whole passages from that film(.

Yes, we did that too. Plenty of them.

Years ago, two of my buddies tried brewing their own beer....they called it "Old Time Hockey."

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 2, 2008 06:44

His role as Reg Dunlap in Slapshot was superb. The scenes where he's out for drinks with the wife of an opposing team's goalie and she admits that she has had a few dalliances with women, followed by his on-ice taunts of, and brawl with, said goalie, Hanrahan, are priceless.

I live in Washington, DC and attend many Washington Nationals home games. That's a baseball team for those of you who live outside of the Great Satan and/or may have wondered whatever happened to those Montreal Expos. When teams who totally stink, such as said Washington Nationals, who won only 59 of their 161 games this season, get toward the end of a long season, they sell off their veteran players for hopefully promising minor leaguers to build for the future. As a result of one of these player purges, the Nats were left with one Joel Hanrahan as their closing relief pitcher (i.e., the guy who's job it is to have nerves of steel and do nothing but pitch the ninth inning when the Nats in the rare position of trying to protect a lead).

After he became closer, my first thought was to look up his player profile on the team website to see if he was married and, if so, if his wife was named Suzanne. There's no mention there of any wife. But if there were, and she were named Suzanne, and I controlled the PA system in a visiting park and he ever came into the game, I'd have my cart ready with Reg Dunlap quotes: "Hanrahan, your wife's a d-ke! Hanrahan, Suzanne sucks p-ssy!"

Then again, why bother? Hanrahan ain't Mariano Rivera.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-02 11:03 by baxlap.

Date: October 2, 2008 07:16

On Monday Letterman ran a montage of clips of Newman on his show as part of a real nice tribute.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 2, 2008 08:04

Here's what Patti Smith posted on her website re: Newman's passing:

[www.pattismith.net]

He was Hud, Cool Hand Luke and Chance. He was many whom we loved. Bad luck fellows with lucky names. He was the man my late brother Todd most adored. They both had ice blue eyes and had a self depreciative streak that permeated their handsomeness.

I feel the loss of him but I have this fleeting feeling of release. He knew he ran his course, I get the feeling he was ready. I wish my brother would have lived. But Todd never had to see his Hud say goodbye.

When he saunters where Todd is I imagine them having a cigarette and smiling their ice blue smiles. Todd might say these damn cigarettes killed us but it doesn't matter now.

Paul might look across the celestial landscape and say nothing. He could say nothing better than anyone. Just a narrowing of his eyes as he scanned an area from the sky down to his shoes.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 2, 2008 09:29

I am a bit late, but I also want to say R.I.P. Paul. He has been one of my favourite actors and The Sting is my favourite movie. He will be missed...

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 2, 2008 11:19

"Besides the Swami Baja, player/coach Reggie Dunlap has been the most influential person in my life."

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home