Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 4, 2009 10:04

Anybody remember this nugget? I was so pumped the day I read this...then a year or two later it turned into that lame single-disc Rarities 1971-2003. At least it had Through The Lonely Nights, but we could have had six discs worth of this. Who knows, maybe we'll finally get it for the 50th anniversary.

[www.billboard.com]

Stones Readying 40th Anniversary Box Set
December 07, 2001, 11:30 AM ET
Nigel Williamson, London
The Rolling Stones plan to celebrate the group's 40th anniversary next year with the release of a box set, featuring rarities, outtakes, and unreleased live tracks taken from different stages of the band's career.

A spokesperson says the group is not yet ready to announce plans for its 40th anniversary, but guitarist Ron Wood has revealed that the Stones are is already at work compiling the box set in an interview due to be published in January the British rock magazine Uncut. He also suggested the release would be supported by tour dates in autumn 2002.

Details remain sketchy, but according to Wood, all members of the group were recently delivered "hundreds of hours" of tapes and have been sifting through them to select potential material for the project. In the interview, Wood says he has already been comparing notes with Stones guitarist Keith Richards over what should be released from the tapes.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the Stones' first appearance on the stage of London's Marquee Club, on July 12, 1962. However, according to Wood, the commemorative box is unlikely to be released before September. Mick Jagger told Billboard last month that "we're trying to cook something up. I don't want to talk about it too much yet, but the 40th anniversary is a good party to give."

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2009 16:02

Nikolai
tatters
Nikolai
tatters
dcba
"All the deluxe stuff that everybody feels is their birthright to receive, as diehard Stones fans, all that may come later ..."

You're right. They'll have us buy the UMG classic "remastered" (ahem) versions and THEN in 18-to-24 months they'll sell us the Deluxe/2-cd versions with bonus.

They would probably follow the example of the Who, first releasing single-CD Expanded editions, with a handful of bonus tracks, THEN, several YEARS later, releasing Deluxe 2-CD editions, with the same extras that were on the Expanded editions, plus a few additional goodies that weren't good enough to make it onto the Expanded editions.

Best hold on to your single CD of The Who Sell Out because they've dropped Melancholia - which is odd. It's meant to be an expanded version of Odds & Sods, which may be out next year.

You mean Melancholia, which is on the expanded edition of The Who Sell Out, is not on the Deluxe edition of The Who Sell Out?

Affirmatron. Neither is Glow Girl (but that is on the current Odds & Sods CD). The only way you can get Melancholia now is to buy/download the box set.

No, you can still get it on the expanded single-disc Sell Out. Releasing a 2-CD "Deluxe" Sell Out doesn't mean the expanded single-disc Sell Out has gone out of print. With Live At Leeds and Who's Next, both the expanded and the deluxe editions are currently available.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2009 17:28

ajc68
Anybody remember this nugget? I was so pumped the day I read this...then a year or two later it turned into that lame single-disc Rarities 1971-2003. At least it had Through The Lonely Nights, but we could have had six discs worth of this. Who knows, maybe we'll finally get it for the 50th anniversary.

[www.billboard.com]

Stones Readying 40th Anniversary Box Set
December 07, 2001, 11:30 AM ET
Nigel Williamson, London
The Rolling Stones plan to celebrate the group's 40th anniversary next year with the release of a box set, featuring rarities, outtakes, and unreleased live tracks taken from different stages of the band's career.

A spokesperson says the group is not yet ready to announce plans for its 40th anniversary, but guitarist Ron Wood has revealed that the Stones are is already at work compiling the box set in an interview due to be published in January the British rock magazine Uncut. He also suggested the release would be supported by tour dates in autumn 2002.

Details remain sketchy, but according to Wood, all members of the group were recently delivered "hundreds of hours" of tapes and have been sifting through them to select potential material for the project. In the interview, Wood says he has already been comparing notes with Stones guitarist Keith Richards over what should be released from the tapes.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the Stones' first appearance on the stage of London's Marquee Club, on July 12, 1962. However, according to Wood, the commemorative box is unlikely to be released before September. Mick Jagger told Billboard last month that "we're trying to cook something up. I don't want to talk about it too much yet, but the 40th anniversary is a good party to give."

Not quite. It turned into the more commercially lucrative "40 Licks". The fact that they were able to work a deal with both EMI and ABKCO helped make that decision easier.

The time to release a boxed set of unreleased songs is NOT on the eve of a tour. If they cant promote new material, theres no way they're even going to bother with leftovers. Can you imagine Jagger running around the stage at Giants Stadium getting the crowd to clap along to 'I Love Ladies' ?

There's a scene in 'Being Mick' (obviously filmed in 2001) where it shows several boxes of reels of old studio sessions and the caption mentions that they're being looked at with a view to old recordings being 'remastered', which makes no sense whatsoever, as aside from a couple of compilations like 'Sucking in the 70's', no remasters were released for the rest of the Stones tenure on EMI. I think its safe to assume that these recordings were being looked at with a view to the release mentioned in the box set referred to in this article.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 4, 2009 19:20

Why couldn't they just sell us the special collector's box it comes in?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 4, 2009 20:13

For what its worth with the scene in question from BEING MICK,Nico notes it as the studio where Stones outtakes are being digitized. It could be for the proposed outtakes box or simply preservation of the material. In all likelihood, much of it would require reworking like "So Young" did and TATTOO YOU before it.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 4, 2009 21:40

Anyone been out shopping albums today?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 4, 2009 22:33

I will receive this box crap set tomorrow

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 4, 2009 22:35

I got mine. Two. One to be stored in a safe place. One to be played at max volume.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2009 00:09

So it's not so much less - Luxury - according to the track times, is the same version that is on the Virgin IORR. That bodes well for Slave.

Date: May 5, 2009 00:15

So how exactly does one get this box to house the remasters in? Is it coming out tomorrow with the remasters (in the U.S.)? Do you have to buy it separately? Does it come only with the four remasters packaged as one set? I've yet to see it listed anywhere accept on Amazon as an expensive import with the four discs for $75.99 (Yikes!).

[www.amazon.com]

Btw, I see the remasters are being released in Japan on June 30 as SHM-CD's.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: May 5, 2009 03:40

ajc68
So how exactly does one get this box to house the remasters in? Is it coming out tomorrow with the remasters (in the U.S.)? Do you have to buy it separately? Does it come only with the four remasters packaged as one set?

At last, the material arrived at Universal Music France yesterday !

The box comes with the 4 first remastered albums. You can also buy the CD separately. The box could contain the 14 albums.

For the french readers, those who really want the box should better hurry up as Universal Music France only put few hundreds on the market.

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 04:03 by Yazid Manou.

Date: May 5, 2009 12:22

Well I received it a few minutes ago.

The packaging is disappointing. The box is not deluxe at all and I guess that it will be quickly scratched if you do not pay attention.

It is not at all like the Zeppelin replica. And when you see the Depeche Mode one with regular cd, 5.1, bonus and dvd and books inside... you really think the Stones one is a crap.
The artwork is as cheap as possible too...

now the sound. I will listen to them tonight.
It's just mentionned "mastered by Marcussen". No other clue on the process.
[www.marcussenmastering.com]
No SACD no SHM editions, a pity when you listen to the great job made with the Zeppelin replica box. And for Black Sabbath too with the SHM released versions of PARANOID for instance.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 5, 2009 15:50

Right - listened to them all. Best sounding ones are Black & Blue and IORR. B & B sounds no different to the Virgin one. Sticky Fingers and GSH are awful. Someone should be shot for this. And yup - Star Star is censored

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 15:53 by Nikolai.

Posted by: maddog87 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 16:18

What's wrong with Sticky Fingers and GHS? Are they mixed to loud? I plan on picking them up this afternoon. May go with IORR instead.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 5, 2009 16:54

Who cares if Sticky Fingers sounds horrible? ABB is gonna sound fantastic!

Date: May 5, 2009 17:41

I sure hope so. I'm so tired of that 2005 mixing job and plain jane jewel case. mixing technology has improved allot in three years. Bigger Bang will sound and look bigger then ever....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2009 17:57

From the sounds of it, ABB will sound the same. In fact, it seems as if the overly loud mastering is the template for the reissues.

Date: May 5, 2009 18:54

maddog87
What's wrong with Sticky Fingers and GHS? Are they mixed to loud? I plan on picking them up this afternoon. May go with IORR instead.

Just get IORR. Sounds terrific

If you've got B & B on Virgin, stick with that. Sounds identical.

Sticky Fingers & GHS sound like a bad homemade Nero mix. Distort at even medium volume on a bog standard CD player. Stick to the Virgins with those.

Date: May 5, 2009 18:55

tatters
Who cares if Sticky Fingers sounds horrible? ABB is gonna sound fantastic!

Of course, I can hear the irony dripping from finger to keyboard ....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2009 20:29

Thanks Nicolai for the title-by-title review thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 02:13 by dcba.

Date: May 5, 2009 20:30

I picked up IORR and have mixed feelings about it. It's definitely in your face loud. I had to drop the volume about 25% in my iTunes player to get it to match the 1995 Virgin CD. It also sounds like the louder passages are either clipping or damn near it (check TWFNO around 5:45-ish)...and it can be a bit piercing on my Bose headphones at times. That being said, IORR has always been a muddy sounding album, and it definitely seems a bit more defined here. Luxury sounds excellent and is the same longer version from the previous CD issue. If only this album wasn't mastered so damn loud! Btw, the packaging is the same as the previous Virgin jewel case edition.

Edit: I just listened to GHS and I'm not thrilled with the results. The vocals sound distorted to me in several places.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 03:37 by ajc68.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2009 20:33

Yeah thanks for the review, Nikolai - I'll get that It's Only Rock'n Roll album then....Silkcut also favoured that one in the other re-issue thread

Date: May 5, 2009 22:30

I am listening to IORR and yes it is different in a better way. On IORR I can clearly hear Charlies'cymbal and the accoustic guitar (around 3'50") is really here. Ain't too proud to beg sounded better to my ears too.

When you change the cd's in the player at the same level, the new edition is clearly upfront. Nice.

IORR album had always been muddy and now it sounds like it should.

Now I have to listen to the other cd's.

Date: May 5, 2009 23:03

I sent an email to Stewart Withmore to ask him if he can provide us more informations on the mastering process. I hope he will answer. I will let you know.

Curious to know how Bob Ludwig appreciates or not the new sound I sent a mail to his staff too.

Date: May 5, 2009 23:29

I'll definitely be picking up the new universal IORR this afternoon and most likely ..... wait for it..... Sticky Fingers too. Good mix or bad I will not be too upset (though I probably should be...).

Just thought I should let everyone know in case they couldn't get to sleep tonight ....worried about which of the four new CDs I would be buying.

IORR and Sticky Fingers. Those two definitely. Sleep tight.

Date: May 6, 2009 00:43

Black and blue sounds better too. Keith seems in the room on memory motel. Cherry oh baby, a song I 'm not found of sounds nice at last. It grooves.
This mastering reminds me the great sound I discovered in 94 when listening to Some Girls on Virgin's

Date: May 6, 2009 00:56

Bob Ludwig answered me.

"Hi Jeff,
I haven't heard the new work, too busy doing new projects myself!
All I can say is I assure you each version is just what the Stones wanted at the time each was made, so there you go.
Bob"

Date: May 6, 2009 01:03

Hmmm..okay cool...considering the mostly positive reviews for IORR...I shall pick it up today!

Date: May 6, 2009 04:18

GEEZ!

IORR is pretty LOUD!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:42

"each version is just what the Stones wanted at the time each was made"
A very diplomatic way to say "Crap? Sure it is! But y'know I just obey orders, man!"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home