Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2009 11:56

Lorenz as you know the majority is always wrong... ;-)

And the remastering of the albums has most probably been done by comparing them to... the current crop of crap that new "hot" Top 40 bands put out nowadays, not the original vinyls or even the Virgins CDs.
Since the lastest trend among record execs is brickwalled mastering, our beloved band has been brickwalled.

No make that "the sound of these classic albums has been reowrked improved to bring this fantastic music into the 21st century" said A. Rsehole, a Universal exec. to "Uncut" mag ;-)

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 14, 2009 12:10

dcba
Lorenz as you know the majority is always wrong... ;-)

And the remastering of the albums has most probably been done by comparing them to... the current crop of crap that new "hot" Top 40 bands put out nowadays, not the original vinyls or even the Virgins CDs.
Since the lastest trend among record execs is brickwalled mastering, our beloved band has been brickwalled.

No make that "the sound of these classic albums has been reowrked improved to bring this fantastic music into the 21st century" said A. Rsehole, a Universal exec. to "Uncut" mag ;-)

Yeah, you have a point. I mean, it surely sounds too loud if you got a hifi system with amplifiers and what not. but for the majority, it's probably ok.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 14, 2009 15:01

drewmaster
john r
I recall getting the CBS Sony cds and being disgusted by the thin, early digital sound which was deeply inferior to the best 1st pressing vinyl editions, esp UK Japan and (Exile for instance) US. Virgins were a significant upgrade, and now with all the improvements plus state of the music industry I expect the Universals to be improvements too.

They will be, John.

But you can also bet there will be plenty of complaints ... about how Universal has "brickwalled" the sound and how this or that is too loud. I guarantee it, just check out this board on May 4.

Drew

Some things are not too difficult to predict ...

Drew

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 14, 2009 16:14

Distorted songs on remastered CDs weren't predicted.

Date: May 14, 2009 16:53

I remember reading a Rick Rubin interview (a guy I used to respect) for an audiophile mag where they argued about the merits of Vlado "bricklayer" Meller's mastering for a RHCP album. The guy from the mag said they sound horrible (no dynamics etc).

Rubin (who in the same interview displayed his 100 000$ speakers) replied "hey they sound good" (liar) and later admitted they sound artificial but "hey people love these mastering" (read buy them).
That's as far as Rubin, a top Columbia Rec. executive, is interested in mastering thumbs down
I bet on his home stereo Rubin listens to pre-mastering DATs winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-15 12:32 by dcba.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 16, 2009 14:48

I just got the second four CD-promo-set (TY, ER, SG, UC) and yes:
Slave comes in 6:30 version.

Release date in Germany will be June, 12th

Date: May 16, 2009 15:43

HighwireC
I just got the second four CD-promo-set (TY, ER, SG, UC) and yes:
Slave comes in 6:30 version.

That's FANTASTIC news!!!! Thanks Highwire!!!

By the way, I was looking at the liner sleeve for my Virgin Tattoo You, and it says the track runs 4:54, even though it is the 6:32 version. Anyone else notice this?

Drew

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: May 16, 2009 17:08

HighwireC
I just got the second four CD-promo-set (TY, ER, SG, UC)

You're really much much quicker than Universal Music France !! Congratulations !

By the way, do you know how many carton-board slipcase have been put in the german market ?

YM

Date: May 16, 2009 17:32

Yazid Manou
HighwireC

You're really much much quicker than Universal Music France !! Congratulations !

By the way, do you know how many carton-board slipcase have been put in the german market ?

YM

There are very few slipcases, hard to find, you'll have to ask after in stores, even in big Media Markets etc. But I don't know the real number, perhaps I'll get that information next week.

And now I'll listen to Some Girls ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-16 17:33 by HighwireC.

Date: May 18, 2009 12:46

skipstone
Distorted songs on remastered CDs weren't predicted.

Distortion? Where, exactly, is the distortion you are claiming? (Which lines/lyrics/riffs etc?)

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 15:25 by drewmaster.

Date: May 18, 2009 17:08

The distortion that has been talked about.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 17:55

I haven't heard many good things about the Universal remasters. It appears they have boosted the volume and used the original US vinyl mix on "Star Star" which attempts to disguise the "pussy clean" line. Do any of you think any of the new remasters are upgrades over the Virgin remasters? I'm not being sarcastic - I'd like to know what CDs sound better than previous remasters.

Date: May 18, 2009 17:57

glimmertwin50
I haven't heard many good things about the Universal remasters. It appears they have boosted the volume and used the original US vinyl mix on "Star Star" which attempts to disguise the "pussy clean" line. Do any of you think any of the new remasters are upgrades over the Virgin remasters? I'm not being sarcastic - I'd like to know what CDs sound better than previous remasters.

To me personally, they do sound better. However, the Star Star censorship is so so so amateur and horrible...

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 18:04

Thanks Lorenz - I'll have to check them out.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 19, 2009 03:31

the stones are like a beautiful stripper, they get you all heated up and then they send you home with blue nuts

Date: May 19, 2009 06:04

I have not been convinced. So far the only remaster worth contemplating to get is Black And Blue and maybe - MAYBE - IORR.

Posted by: maddog87 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:19

I picked up SF, GHS and Black And Blue last night at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA for $10 a piece. For a newbies I guess they sound okay on an average system (or in my case a car stereo). Universal pulled out all the stops for the packaging though. Each album gets it's own jet black CD insert. Whoever owns the copyright on the color black will make a little $ on these new Universal Stones discs...

About one step up from a CD-R disc and a black sharpie in all honesty.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 19, 2009 15:36

maddog87

I picked up SF, GHS and Black And Blue last night at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA for $10 a piece. For a newbies I guess they sound okay on an average system (or in my case a car stereo). Universal pulled out all the stops for the packaging though. Each album gets it's own jet black CD insert. Whoever owns the copyright on the color black will make a little $ on these new Universal Stones discs...

About one step up from a CD-R disc and a black sharpie in all honesty.

I'm in the Boston area as well...you had me excited at the 10 bucks a pop as in I might try them out, but is the packaging that bad? I've heard it's pretty crap...

Posted by: maddog87 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:00

Remember those single, fold out CD inserts we got way back in the mid eighties when CDs first started taking off? Thats pretty much what you will get with these Universal discs. Black and Blue is particularly simple. But I'm buying these albums for the first time. If you already own them save your $ for the $400 concert tixs.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: May 19, 2009 16:42

None of the four released so far are De Luxe versions, are they? Maybe the only De Luxe release will be E O M S?

Mats

Date: May 19, 2009 17:00

Matt
None of the four released so far are De Luxe versions, are they? Maybe the only De Luxe release will be E O M S?

Mats

You are right, completly! UMC have remixed and are rerleasing the old "original" tapes, and is going to replace all that Virgin CDs in stores, 14 studio albums first, will followed up by the live albums next year, perhaps.

And we are still waiting for fresh announcements, Deluxe Editions and a new album,too.

The campaign has only been started, more will follow, step by step.

Date: May 19, 2009 17:07

HighwireC
Matt

Mats

You are right, completly! UMC have remixed and are rerleasing the old "original" tapes, and is going to replace all that Virgin CDs in stores, 14 studio albums first, will followed up by the live albums next year, perhaps.

And we are still waiting for fresh announcements, Deluxe Editions and a new album,too.

The campaign has only been started, more will follow, step by step.

So, you're saying that in addition to the replacing the Virgin CDs, there will be deluxe editions? As I understand it then, the Remastered CDs now only serve the purpose to make the back catalogue available and no more, BUT there is more to come. Or is this just wishful thinking and that was it, except the Exile deluxe release that is yet to come.

Date: May 19, 2009 20:57

"BUT there is more to come."
I'm pretty sure they want us to buy the regualr version of all the Stones albums THEN in about a year and a half the Deluxe 2-cd editions will pop on the market...
Another reason to boycott these UMGs imo.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 19, 2009 21:18

Will save my $, thanks. And unless something spectacular is included in the new Exile release, I'll pass on that as well...

Date: May 20, 2009 05:52

Wow HighwireC - didn't realise that the albums were all remixed! That's deluxe right there!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 20, 2009 06:54

well i will just let the rest of you be guinea pigs and try them all out and over time, things will sort themselves out, or so it is hoped

i can be patient when it comes to all this as I already have everything anyway pretty much and then some as I am sure most of you do, then in 6 mos, maybe a year or two, decide what is worth buying

i do not quite suffer from OCD -- Obsessive Completist Disorder to where I worry "what about the first pressings by matrix number (or whatever) and if I miss that, I just cannot live with myself" and so on

if i really had to have a first pressing or two, there is always amazon and ebay which aren't going away.

plexi-man

Date: May 20, 2009 16:17

Yazid Manou
HighwireC

YM

Bonjour Yazid!
Now I got the number: "Round about 2.000 Boxes were made" I was told ...

Date: May 21, 2009 03:07

HighwireC
Now I got the number: "Round about 2.000 Boxes were made" I was told ...

That seems very correct as the german market is much bigger than our.

Thanks HighwireC
YM

Date: May 27, 2009 14:00

Maybe you already know but my job is to give official information : Universal Music France confirmed that "Exile on main St." will be released in 2010.

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-27 14:10 by Yazid Manou.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 28, 2009 20:35

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-21 21:00 by UrbanSteel.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home