Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: AC/DC expected to go on tour
Date: July 16, 2008 20:10

olorin
Matti
andy js
BUYV definitely gets my vote for worst AC/DC album. closely followed by The Razors Edge and Ballbreaker (and that awful 1991 era 'Live' album)

What's wrong with the Live album? I think it's awesome, at least the 2 CD version. Full of energy, good sound.

Compared to the "If You Wanna Blood..." Live, it is a bad album. Less energy, same songs... AC/DC haven't done anything good between Back in Black and Stiff Upper Lip.

what a crock! are you telling me for those about to rock is not a kickass song??? or even thunderstruck which gets played before the washington nationals )baseball team) take the field every home game?

or even WHO MADE WHO??? that songs kicks major fookin ass..

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:18

That is weird that the songs fade like that! It's stupid.

Is the box lived one or whatever that is, with the Bon Scott material - is that normal? Is the other live album normal? I thought there were 2 Brian Johnson AC/DC era live albums.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:26

Oops. Wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 20:41 by WMiller.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:27

Saw the "At the Pavillion in Paris" DVD last night - great stuff / great music

But is a bit boring with Angus shaking his head all the time and then d the special walking.... not much variation. yawning smiley((

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:57

Matti
andy js
BUYV definitely gets my vote for worst AC/DC album. closely followed by The Razors Edge and Ballbreaker (and that awful 1991 era 'Live' album)

What's wrong with the Live album? I think it's awesome, at least the 2 CD version. Full of energy, good sound.

two words CHRIS SLADE

he has zero feel/groove and made the band sound ridiculous (IMO). the only drummer that works for AC/DC is the Rudd. he just oozes that rhythm and swing

the songs are too fast, there's no swing and generally its just shit from start to finish

a bit like the Donington DVD. same as it was on the day. CRAP

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: July 17, 2008 17:35

olorin

Compared to the "If You Wanna Blood..." Live, it is a bad album. Less energy, same songs... AC/DC haven't done anything good between Back in Black and Stiff Upper Lip.

Same songs? There´s not that many same songs on these two live albums. There´s lots of Johnson era songs on Live and many of the Scott era songs are different.

The fade outs are a bit annoying but they´re there to show that the songs come from different gigs. Would it be better if they had mixed it all together so it would seem it´s all from one gig?

Chris Slade is totally ok in my opinion. You could criticize Johnsons voice which "is not what it was" like some critic said.

Date: July 17, 2008 18:51

Yes, it would sound better if it was cross faded - like a normal live album. Like how the Stones do their live albums - they just cross fade the tracks together so it seems...seamless.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 17, 2008 21:40

Matti
olorin

Same songs? There´s not that many same songs on these two live albums. There´s lots of Johnson era songs on Live and many of the Scott era songs are different.

The fade outs are a bit annoying but they´re there to show that the songs come from different gigs. Would it be better if they had mixed it all together so it would seem it´s all from one gig?

Chris Slade is totally ok in my opinion. You could criticize Johnsons voice which "is not what it was" like some critic said.

What I would say was AC/DC is playing the old same songs in the same way for too many years. They never even rearranged them. If you've seen AC/DC live in 1991, it is the same songs like if you're gonna see them next year. Although I kinda like AC/DC

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: July 17, 2008 22:02

olorin
Matti
olorin

What I would say was AC/DC is playing the old same songs in the same way for too many years. They never even rearranged them. If you've seen AC/DC live in 1991, it is the same songs like if you're gonna see them next year. Although I kinda like AC/DC

Why on earth would they want to "rearrange" them. That sounds like an awful thing to do. When I see ac/dc I want the songs as I know them, not some dodgy "re-imagining". Some people here just don't appreciate that the mighty DC don't bend in the wind. Why on earth should they "rearrange" a song like Whole lotta Rosie. I just pray they are still good enough this turn around to do it justice......I'm sure they will

Posted by: roby ()
Date: July 17, 2008 23:40

Me too, and the next album will be awesome >grinning smiley<

Date: July 18, 2008 01:27

letitloose
Why on earth would they want to "rearrange" them.

coorect. this isn't a cabaret band we're talking about. its ROCK N ROLL

Date: July 18, 2008 03:31

If they don't rearrange songs, what is the interest of a new DVD each tour ? Look, they play the same songs ever and ever. Why didn't they other songs ? They have a lot of them waiting. Why no Live Wire? Why no If You Want Blood? Why no Rocker ?

Just let's have a look at the tracklist from the 3 last DVD (Donington 1991, No Bull 1996 and Stiff Upper Lip 2001)
At final, you have :
Thunderstruck 3
Shoot To Thrill 3
Back In Black 3
The Jack 3
Dirty Deeds 3
Hells Bells 3
Whole Lotta Rosie 3
Shook Me All... 3
TNT 3
Let There Be Rock 3
Highway To Hell 3
For those about... 3
Shot Down In Flames 2
R&R Ain't Noise ... 2
Hard As A Rock 2

On 3 DVD and 57 songs, only 15 songs played once. Even the Stones have less warhorses !!!! I listed here 12 songs which are played at every show !!! That's dramatic. And it is more dramatic when you know all the songs which are NOT played.

So 2 reproaches to AC/DC:
Playing always the same songs
Playing always these songs in the same way

Just compare JJF between Four Flicks and Biggest Bang, the song have changed. Same for Miss You, for SFTD, for Satisfaction... And there is more difference between SFTD in 89/90 and in, let's say 2003. At the same, compare Highway To Hell. The song have not changed at all. That is the problem !

PS : I still love AC/DC and gonna see them on next tour >grinning smiley<

Date: July 18, 2008 10:25

My take on the Stones and all their live albums and DVDs - a chunk of the same songs, remotely different with some other tunes, warhorses on whatever release still the same.

With exception to Gimme Shelter. Which they didn't really put out anyway.

Live album after live album, people seem to say More of the same, different year. Well fine. Why get any of the DVDs? They have a bunch of the same songs (warhorses) on them. Why? WE LIKE THEM. Even if we bitch up, down, all over - we still get a kick out of 'em. Good or bad, no matter what.

We like what we like. Stone fans like what they like, no matter how much the same Satisfaction from Licks sounds just like Satisfaction from Flashpoint minus the Gimme one/two/three/four times bit or even similar to Still Life.

AC/DC fans like what they like.

I get where you are coming from but so what? How many live Stones albums do you need? How many AC/DC live albums are there? Or whoever? They all do what they do. Either you buy it or you don't. Either you were there or you were not. It's just a record. It's just another live record. None of them are out to change the world. There are differences - in performance, tempo, the solo is different, etc...

So basically...no big deal.

Date: July 18, 2008 14:07

i don't want to go and see AC/DC and hear a new version of Highway To Hell

i want to hear HIGHWAY TO HELL

as it was, and how it should always be

there's nowt worse than bands @#$%& around with perfectly good songs and turning em into cabaret versions (see Stones efforts on SFTD, GS, Satisfaction etc)

Date: July 18, 2008 18:58

I remember the first time I heard The Cult do Nirvana live. They changed it - it was even better. It was heavier but still mean.

I like it when bands do that. I think that's why Start Me Up from 89-90 is the best version for me - it's not so dumpy like they do it now and it's not so ass dragging like it is on Tattoo You.

But their way of The Last Time and Respectable on No Security - why did they even bother? The version of Gimme Shelter on Flicks is...that intro is haunted house wanna be music.

So AC/DC could open with Highway To Hell - maybe the only way they'd change it is to just do an extended intro. Or whatever. I doubt they would ever slaughter anything like the Stones do - 19th Nervous Breakdown or Sway are good examples.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 18, 2008 19:03

I wonder what the chances are of AC/DC breaking with their tradition and opening up their show with a Bon Scott song?

I guess next we could post our AC/DC dream set,

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: July 18, 2008 20:29

BluzDude
I wonder what the chances are of AC/DC breaking with their tradition and opening up their show with a Bon Scott song?

I guess next we could post our AC/DC dream set,

Bluzdude - your wish is my command. I won't do the "track 5 - new song" thing which always cracks me up.

1] Live Wire
2] Back in Black
3] Girls got rhythm
4] Flick of the switch
5] Downpayment Blues
6] Who made who
7] Dirty Deeds
8] Have a drink on me
9] Rock n Roll singer
10] Lets get it up
11] Kicked in the teeth again
12] Hard as a rock
13] Highway to hell
14] Shake a leg
15] Let there be rock
16] Cant stand still
17] Theres gonna be some rocking
18] Whole lotta Rosie

Encores

19] For those about to rock
20] Riff Raff

Date: July 18, 2008 23:39

BluzDude

Er, what like they did last time out with Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be ?

Date: July 18, 2008 23:53

andy js
BluzDude

Er, what like they did last time out with Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be ?

That was only for the Stones thing, not on tour.

Date: July 19, 2008 01:59

well it was their 'tour' of 2003, and not just the Stones dates. they also used it for their headline gigs too

they also opened with Live Wire in Birmingham 1982

Date: July 19, 2008 02:06

They didm't tour in '03, they did a couple german and canadian shows, and the Hammersmith in the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 02:10 by BluzDude.

Date: July 19, 2008 02:06

so US tour starting in November.. anyone know anything about dates and places they will play?

i predict they will play one show at the verizon center arena here in dc... i also dont' think it will be a massive tour...i expect madison square garden too and a big arena in philly..will they do charlotte north carolina? atlanta?

Date: July 19, 2008 03:05

I'll just be clear a last time. I love AC/DC, I'm surely gonna see them on next tour. But what I want is just hear something new. Just like the Stones did with Sway, As Tears Go By... on last tour.

Live Wire is a f***ing good song !!!

Date: July 19, 2008 12:32

Live Wire is a great song agreed. But after hearing the Stones murder Sway and strip away its beauty why would you want another band you love to potentially do the same ?

on their last 2 tours. i heard AC/DC do several 'new' things that i'd never heard em do live in the previous 20

Ride On
Rock N Roll Damnation
Up To My Neck In You
If You Want Blood
Problem Child
Whats Next To The Moon
Gone Shootin'
What Do You Do For Money

thats nearly half of the greatest album ever (Powerage), so i'd have thought that little lot EASILY outweighs the Stones efforts on Sway & ATGB

ps : stoned in washington. they wont be touring anywhere in November i'm pretty sure

pps : bluz dude. i call going out on the road, no matter how long for a 'tour'. it may have only been 8 shows or whatever. but it was a tour to me. and up their with their best, especially set list wise

Date: July 19, 2008 21:33

Yes, stole the show in Toronto hot smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:57

andy js

as for album titles without a song of the same name on em, Powerage and BUYV are it (as mentioned)

we did of course also have If You Want Blood as a title before it was a song

Ballbreaker was a great comeback album. Raw and gritty, every song rocks start to finish. The Stones should look up Rubin next, he's got that ability to get artists to tap into their roots.

Date: July 19, 2008 23:38

i absolutely LOATHE Ballbreaker from start to finish. take off Hard As A Rock and the title track (which i can just about stand) and its stinks

its the very definition of filler. half finished songs all over the place

i'd rather hear my own death rattle than listen to that heap of shit ever again

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 20, 2008 00:06

andy js
i absolutely LOATHE Ballbreaker from start to finish. take off Hard As A Rock and the title track (which i can just about stand) and its stinks

its the very definition of filler. half finished songs all over the place

i'd rather hear my own death rattle than listen to that heap of shit ever again

I can agree with you on Razor's Edge and 91 Live but not this one my friend...ALL HAIL CAESAR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-20 00:08 by shadooby.

Date: July 20, 2008 00:31

Date: July 20, 2008 02:52

Good to see Mal's kept his hair

Glad Angus hasn't fell into the hair weave/plugs trap to keep hold of his (Stones take note)

I'm presuming thats pretty recent ?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home