Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mick Taylor songs ???
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:55

I've been told that, more than Ventilator Blues, Taylor brought a lot of songs to the RS, when he was playing with them, which were rearranged and signed by Jagger/Richards. Sway was on the list. More info about possible Mick Taylor songs, signed by Jagger/Richards ?

Let's not forget about IORR, Ronnie's song, rearranged and signed by J/R, great songs' robbers !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Re: Mick Taylor songs ???
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 16, 2008 07:28

Keith always said "Cant You Hear Me Knockin" was supposed to fade out earlier but the jam took on a life of its own(unless he was bs-ing of course) so I imagine MT had a big influence on pt 2 but I guess so did Bobby K. Maybe it should have been credited to Phelge-Keys!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:04

Taylor has always claimed he had a lot of input on Moonlight Mile, Winter, Till The Next Goodbye and Time Waits for No One. To date, as far as I know, both Jagger and Richards have, mostly in vague terms, credited Moonlight Mile partly to Taylor. Sway is most probably a full Jagger song.

Ventilator Blues is the only song where Taylor is credited, but strangely both Wymand and Watts claim it was a riff by Bobbby Keys. It's fairly rare that Watts mentions anything at all about song writing.

Mathijs

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:16

Then there's recent situation when the keyboardist from Procol Harem suing and winning a share of royalties from "Whiter Shade Of Pale"
because he came up with and playied the signature keyboard lick in that song... He wasn't credited as the songwriter.

Is there now precedent for other musicians who can prove that their signature licks are akin to songwriting?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:58

When does a musicion clam the songwriting?
I cannot imagine KR,or MJ or MT,RW,or even BW & CW ran into the studio
and say:"here is the song,here is the leed sheet,just play this and shut the ****
up.
This is simply not the way it works with bands like the Rolling Stones.
Apart from the lyrics,it must be somewhat 5x20%,let alone the producer.

MJ and KR are the most important eye catchers,and they now how to handle it..
Anybody agrees?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 16, 2008 14:03

Why is this songwriting credits thing so difficult to understand?

There is (was) an agreement between the members of the group on how to share the profits of the "rolling stones corporation". In force of this agreement no matter who wrote what, Jagger / Richards are credited for lyrics and music and receive the related royalties.

This agreement reflects the fact that Jagger and Richards were the driving forces of the group.

This is a very common deal, also in other situations. In partnership where I work, the founding members receive a bigger share of the profits because that is how things go!

It is absolutely normal that in a career as long as the one of the stones, occasionally, the original agreements need some form of correction. Thus the attribution of songwriting credits on single songs to other members than Jagger / Richards (again, regardless who wrote what).

On the other end Jagger himself (apparently) never tried to renegotiate his share, not even when it was him alone that made almost everything.

True that Taylor was unhappy of the overall situation, he didn't like the musical direction, he felt his role had to be better acknowledged, he wanted a larger share (and, above all, he was physically destroyed by the life stile he was conducting and wanted to change).

But if all the above was a good reason (for him) to quit, it was not enough to sue the stones on specific songwriting credits. Because of the conditions he had agreed upon with the other members.

This is confirmed by the fact that when he could, he actually did claim money (for his guitarwork on Tattoo You).

So why don't we just stop this stupid argument of Taylor being ripped off poor sod by evil Jagger and Richards.

C

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 16, 2008 14:26

Taylor interview '92 about Altamont and...

Posted by: Spanish Kurt ()
Date: July 16, 2008 14:27

It is a hard subject with a lot of different legal aspects to it. And with legal stuff involved, we all know there is a big difference between what we all feel is right and what is legally justified. It seems to me Mick Taylor did not read all the small print when he joined the band.

Down the line, the band is a company, not just a couple of cats playing music together. It is not just a matter of enjoying together whatever creative input any person in the band had while recording songs. It is a business affair to sell the products of the band and the chief executives are rewarded higher than those on the work floor, who gave them the ideas for new products. It has always been like that and it will always remain that way.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 16, 2008 14:37

Spanish Kurt
It is a hard subject with a lot of different legal aspects to it. And with legal stuff involved, we all know there is a big difference between what we all feel is right and what is legally justified. It seems to me Mick Taylor did not read all the small print when he joined the band.

Down the line, the band is a company, not just a couple of cats playing music together. It is not just a matter of enjoying together whatever creative input any person in the band had while recording songs. It is a business affair to sell the products of the band and the chief executives are rewarded higher than those on the work floor, who gave them the ideas for new products. It has always been like that and it will always remain that way.

Very well said...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 16, 2008 15:38

Happy24
Spanish Kurt

Very well said...

Very well said, indeed.

When Taylor "joined" the Stones, he agreed to certain terms & conditions, just like any other employee in any other corporation. Music business is no different from other business. Its only fans who think its different and that bands must consist of friends who enjoy making music just for the sake of the enjoyment of making music together. It does not work this way once you become professionals.

Even the picture of "Taylor joining the Stones" is a misconception. He did not join them. They hired him, and he never was a full band member in terms of being part of the Stones corporation. He was payed a regurlar wage, just like an employee. He never had any control or say in creative & business decisions.

We fans who saw him onstage with the Stones, standing next to Mick, Keith, Billy, Charlie probably never saw the difference at the time. And of course, the management always want fans to believe the "band member" story. But in fact he never was a full member. He was hired, and payed like an employee, just like the backing musicians (probably a bit more!).

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:25

schillid
Then there's recent situation when the keyboardist from Procol Harem suing and winning a share of royalties from "Whiter Shade Of Pale"
because he came up with and playied the signature keyboard lick in that song... He wasn't credited as the songwriter.

Small world:
Desert Island Discs radio show
GUEST: Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones
SHOW DATE: Week Of Nov. 18, 1991
SHOW NUMBER: #098
Tracks:
Bob Dylan: Positively 4th Street
Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Chile
Beatles: Strawberry Fields Forever
Rolling Stones: Time Waits For No One
Procol Harum: Whiter Shade of Pale
The Who: My Generation
Jimi Hendrix: Axis: Bold As Love
Elvis Presley: Hound Dog
Bob Dylan: Girl From The North Country
Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man

alimente
Even the picture of "Taylor joining the Stones" is a misconception. He did not join them. They hired him, and he never was a full band member in terms of being part of the Stones corporation. He was payed a regurlar wage, just like an employee. He never had any control or say in creative & business decisions.

...He was hired, and payed like an employee, just like the backing musicians (probably a bit more!).

This was true at the outset, but what is your source for this statement as it applies to his entire career with the Stones?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:51

Okay we will go ahead with your opinion that he was a hired gun and a company asset but how whould you feel if an employee took your idea and got credit and your vision or idea increased the value of the company. Here we are talking about songs that were GEMS and Magical(Winter, Moonlight Etc) and not B sides . these songs do not sound like jagger/richards songs they sound like taylor/jagger collaborations and taylor helped jagger get these songs done he needed that extra guitar and Taylor's help.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:06

alimente

...He was hired, and payed like an employee, just like the backing musicians (probably a bit more!).

Smokey
This was true at the outset, but what is your source for this statement as it applies to his entire career with the Stones?

No this was not the case. It's quite incredible that people can actually believe Taylor was just a hired force. Taylor was on a wage during the summer of '69, after that he became a fully-fledged bandmember.

It didn't take the Stones long to recognise Taylor's talent (one of the first sessions he ever did with them resulted in a hit single) and they were all too aware they needed a guitarist like that. Going back on the road meant they had to compete with the other (mostly guitar based) bands that were popular in the late 60s. Before Taylor embarked on his first tour with the Stones he had identical rights to the other four bandmembers.
He was not just a musician and in fact became a director in each and every one of the companies they founded after they fired Allen Klein. It was at the end of the '69 tour that the band realised it had been a mistake to get Allen Klein involved. Their record contract with Decca was also about to expire.
So they formed their own label, Rolling Stones Records. On the recommendation of their new business adviser Prince Loewenstein they based RSR and their other companies overseas. In the papers filed with the incorporation of RSR (1970) Taylor is one of the five directors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 18:32 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:06

I never know how the stones ever managed before or after MT

Twas a mystery of the highest kind.....

Date: July 16, 2008 17:26

liddas
Why is this songwriting credits thing so difficult to understand?

There is (was) an agreement between the members of the group on how to share the profits of the "rolling stones corporation". In force of this agreement no matter who wrote what, Jagger / Richards are credited for lyrics and music and receive the related royalties.

No agreement like that exists in the Rolling Stones, nor has it ever existed. So I'm afraid the rest of your argument lacks a solid foundation.

The five bandmembers Mick J, Mick T, Keith R, Charlie W and Bill W formed their own business structure in 1970 after they fired A. Klein - the documents they signed at that point stipulate where the profits from the different sources of income go, like touring, merchandise or record (artist) royalties. In most cases it is split equally between the five directors. Songwriting is a separate issue, legal regulations require that the publishing royalties (a percentage of the retail price per CD) are collected by a publishing company (in this case Promopub in Amsterdam) and then distributed to the authors of the compositions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-17 01:09 by Lightnin'.

Date: July 16, 2008 18:10

alimente
Happy24
Spanish Kurt

That is because there was no small print at that point for him to read.
At the end of the '69 tour one of their main concerns was to escape from the claws of Allen Klein. It took them several years to get out of that legal entanglement.

Spanish Kurt
Down the line, the band is a company, not just a couple of cats playing music together. It is not just a matter of enjoying together whatever creative input any person in the band had while recording songs. It is a business affair to sell the products of the band and the chief executives are rewarded higher than those on the work floor...
<snap>

Not long after Taylor joined they decided it was time to take control of things by forming their own business (to prevent another A. Klein type situation). The five bandmembers became in fact the company directors, or CEO's if you like. They had equal rights, so you can't really use the "chief executives and work floor" analogy here.

alimente
Very well said, indeed.

When Taylor "joined" the Stones, he agreed to certain terms & conditions, just like any other employee in any other corporation.

Except that they were still to put these terms & conditions down in writing for their company themselves. This did not happen until 1970.
The Stones at the end of 1969 were in a bit of a pickle, hadn't toured for years, had allowed A. Klein to take advantage of the situation - which turned out to be a very expensive mistake. By the end of that year they discovered there would be a gigantic tax bill (regarding past earnings) waiting for them the next year, which in effect meant they were on the brink of bankruptcy !
It was only when they were smart enough to form their own business stucture (with Taylor onboard) that things started heading in the right direction again.
In 1970 Taylor helped to define the "terms and conditions", he did not just sign his name on the dotted line when he joined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 18:19 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 16, 2008 18:24

Please try to end your "quotes" - it reads much easier thumbs up

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 16, 2008 18:51

The way it works with songwriting credits is that the person/people who wrote the words and the melody are the songwriters. The fact that Taylor or Wyman or Watts may have played on the recording and added something interesting is irrelevant - from a musical perspective what they are doing simply counts as part of the arrangement, it does not entitle them to claim a writer's credit. Therefore, the fact that Taylor may have been playing some intersting chords or licks is irrelevant - the person who gets the songwriting credit is the person who writes the melody and the lyrics, ie Mick and Keith. I think the payments that were made to Taylor for some of the guitar work on Tatto You was not to give songwriting credit, but to merely pay him for having played on a best-selling album.

Date: July 16, 2008 19:29

john lomax
The way it works with songwriting credits is that the person/people who wrote the words and the melody are the songwriters. The fact that Taylor or Wyman or Watts may have played on the recording and added something interesting is irrelevant - from a musical perspective what they are doing simply counts as part of the arrangement, it does not entitle them to claim a writer's credit. Therefore, the fact that Taylor may have been playing some intersting chords or licks is irrelevant - the person who gets the songwriting credit is the person who writes the melody and the lyrics, ie Mick and Keith. I think the payments that were made to Taylor for some of the guitar work on Tatto You was not to give songwriting credit, but to merely pay him for having played on a best-selling album.

Right on the mark. And there's just only a very few songs where Taylor can claim to have written something, in fact maybe only Moonlight Mile.

Mathijs

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: July 16, 2008 19:32

Read the article and you will see that Mick J and Mick T wrote quite many songs in the beginning af the 70'ies without Keith (Keith was too drugged):

[www.iorr.org]

also that Billy and Mick wrote Miss You while Keith was in Toronto for his heroin problems.

Let's get Mick T back.

Mick suggest that probably the main reason for Mick T leaving was the lack of understanding between Mick T and Keith

Date: July 16, 2008 19:33

Amsterdamned
and say:"here is the song,here is the leed sheet,just play this and shut the ****
up.

Er...this is basically how it happens within the Stones. For every record Keith has written a couple, Jagger has written a couple, and the rest they wrote together. From the bootlegs that are available you can hear that most songs are fairly finished when presented to the band: a verse, a chorus, an instrumental break. The melody is there, most of the time parts of the lyrics as well. Then the song is rehearsed over and over again, and this is where each member adds his own flavor. A solo here, a riff there, some magic bass by Bill etc.

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 16, 2008 20:47

All I know is the sound of the band changed drastically after Taylors departure except of course all the songs they finished off years later that he played on. Not saying its good or bad. Its just pretty noticable.For instance I dont know if an album like Some Girls coulda sounded the same with Taylor because its much too constrictive for his style(Clapton probably couldnt have stayed in such a limited way of playing either). Dont misunderstand its not a knock on Ron.I like both of em. And from a songwriting stance I think its interesting how quik Jagger and Richards were to give Ron credit. I'm sure there were songs that MT contributed to just as much. But then I guess tell that to Johnny Johnson(if he were still with us).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 16, 2008 21:31

Lightnin'

No agreement like that exists in the Rolling Stones, nor has it ever existed. So I'm afraid the rest of your argument lacks a solid foundation.

The five bandmembers Mick J, Mick T, Keith R, Charlie W and Bill W formed their own business structure in 1970 after they fired A. Klein - the documents they signed at that point stipulate where the profits from the different sources of income go, like touring, merchandise or artist royalties. In most cases it is split equally between the five directors. Songwriting is a separate issue, legal regulations require that the publishing royalties (a percentage of the retail price per CD) are collected by a publishing company (in this case Promopub in Amsterdam) and then distributed to the authors of the compositions.

Of course I have not seen the papers, BUT some sort of agreement to this effect must exist, because, as a matter of fact most of the songs credited to Jagger/Richards are either Jagger (most of the time) or Richards.

Then again, since they are all in the business and know damn well how the copyright protection work, once they got screwed the first time, why didn't Bill and MT protect their songs BEFORE bringing them to the rehearsal room?

I don't know how it worked then in England, for sure it must not have been so much more difficult than it is now.

As you said well, the cake to share was huge (once Klein was out of the game) and copyright was only one of the figures, although one of the most important.

True that the agreement for all the other components of the income was to share equally.

C

Date: July 16, 2008 22:13

We fans who saw him onstage with the Stones, standing next to Mick, Keith, Billy, Charlie probably never saw the difference at the time. And of course, the management always want fans to believe the "band member" story. But in fact he never was a full member. He was hired, and payed like an employee, just like the backing musicians (probably a bit more!).
alimente

That's the reason why Mick Jagger turned pale and Keith Richards got angry when Taylor told them he quit
Because he was hired and not a member.

Date: July 16, 2008 22:19

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
up.

Er...this is basically how it happens within the Stones. For every record Keith has written a couple, Jagger has written a couple, and the rest they wrote together. From the bootlegs that are available you can hear that most songs are fairly finished when presented to the band: a verse, a chorus, an instrumental break. The melody is there, most of the time parts of the lyrics as well. Then the song is rehearsed over and over again, and this is where each member adds his own flavor. A solo here, a riff there, some magic bass by Bill etc.

Mathijs

How do you know and heare this,and maybe you can recomend some bootlegs?

Date: July 16, 2008 22:55

alimente
Even the picture of "Taylor joining the Stones" is a misconception. He did not join them. They hired him, and he never was a full band member in terms of being part of the Stones corporation. [a list of many false assumptions follows - edited out here]

Amsterdamned
That's the reason why Mick Jagger turned pale and Keith Richards got angry when Taylor told them he quit

Sigh... Amsterdamned, I don't want to repeat everything I already explained above, so please scroll to 9, 8 and 6 posts up and read this carefully. Taylor was not only a full member but was also a director in each of the companies they founded (based since 1970 in Amsterdam) - Jagger, Taylor, Richards, Watts and Wyman all had exactly the same rights.
The statements made in this thread that some bandmembers would be higher up in the ranking order than others (chief executives vs only employees) are total poppycock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 23:03 by Lightnin'.

Date: July 16, 2008 22:59

For history sakes: taylor was not a hired gun, he was made full member after the '69 tour, much to his own surprise.

Mathijs

Date: July 16, 2008 23:06

Mathijs
For history sakes: taylor was not a hired gun, he was made full member after the '69 tour, much to his own surprise.

Mathijs

Actually it was well before the start of the '69 tour. I don't think he was totally surprised by this, since he had been asked to join the band it was logical that he would get the same rights as the others.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:07

Lightnin'
alimente
Even the picture of "Taylor joining the Stones" is a misconception. He did not join them. They hired him, and he never was a full band member in terms of being part of the Stones corporation. [a list of many false assumptions follows - edited out here]

Amsterdamned

Sigh... Amsterdamned, I don't want to repeat everything I already explained above, so please scroll to 9, 8 and 6 posts up and read this carefully. Taylor was not only a full member but was also a director in each of the companies they founded (based since 1970 in Amsterdam) - Jagger, Taylor, Richards, Watts and Wyman all had exactly the same rights.
The statements made in this thread that some bandmembers would be higher up in the ranking order than others (chief executives vs only employees) are total poppycock.[/quote

Sigh Mathijs:
That was what I was meaning,my remark was ment ironic..is that sow hard to understand?
Ofcourse I don't buy his story about Taylor.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:11

bumbum
Read the article and you will see that Mick J and Mick T wrote quite many songs in the beginning af the 70'ies without Keith (Keith was too drugged):

[www.iorr.org]

also that Billy and Mick wrote Miss You while Keith was in Toronto for his heroin problems.

Let's get Mick T back.

Mick suggest that probably the main reason for Mick T leaving was the lack of understanding between Mick T and Keith

We don't know any of this, do we? As far as I'm concerned, Mick wrote the riff and melody of Miss You, and jammed with the idea with Preston. Jagger gives credit where's its due: Preston had this idea of the the walking bass. Does Preston then should have been given writing credits? Of course not, he did not add anything to the melody and the chords of the song.

And it's the same with Taylor. For all we know Jagger worked with Taylor in 1970. How many ideas did Taylor bring in? Apparently not enough to get any credit, whereas Wood recieved credit for a dozen of songs. So for all we know, Jagger wrote all the songs, and Taylor added great guitar parts, suggested a few things like "let's do that on an acoustic" or "don't go to the verse, but do that instrumental break you got" or whatever. Great ideas what so ever, but it doesn't earn you any writing credits.

And to be fair, Watts, Wyman, Taylor and Wood all do receive all the credit you can imagine. They all have earned multi-millions of dollars, they all have lived and still live the utmost luxurious lives. Taylor still gets his monthly check that's a lot bigger than your and mine. Wyman lives in a castle, and Watts breeds world class horses just for fun.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home