Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Mick Taylor songs ???
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 16, 2008 23:13

Even I know Taylor was made a full member! Heres a question for others with more "learnin" than me, didnt it take Ron longer to made a full member than MT and if so, why?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 16, 2008 23:14

Sigh Mathijs:
That was what I was meaning,my remark was ment ironic..is that sow hard to understand?
Ofcourse I don't buy his story about Taylor.

Well, I don't want to be rude now here, but most of the times I really don't understand what you're trying to say. It's maybe your English, but I just often don't get your point.

Ben je trouwens Nederlands?

Mathijs

Date: July 16, 2008 23:15

Lightnin'
Mathijs
For history sakes: taylor was not a hired gun, he was made full member after the '69 tour, much to his own surprise.

Mathijs

Actually it was well before the start of the '69 tour. I don't think he was totally surprised by this, since he had been asked to join the band it was logical that he would get the same rights as the others.

I thought so, but wasn't sure. I even thought he was made member within a couple a weeks or so, something that took Taylor completely by surprise.

Mathijs

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: July 16, 2008 23:17

Lightnin'
Sigh... Amsterdamned, I don't want to repeat everything I already explained above, so please scroll to 9, 8 and 6 posts up and read this carefully. Taylor was not only a full member but was also a director in each of the companies they founded (based since 1970 in Amsterdam) - Jagger, Taylor, Richards, Watts and Wyman all had exactly the same rights.
The statements made in this thread that some bandmembers would be higher up in the ranking order than others (chief executives vs only employees) are total poppycock.

Amsterdamned
Sigh Mathijs:
That was what I was meaning,my remark was ment ironic..is that sow hard to understand?
Of course I don't buy his story about Taylor.

I did wonder for a second if it could have been meant in an ironic/sarcastic way, but from looking at your words in black and white, there was no way of knowing. -I'm sure it would be different if I could hear you say it.
By the way it was me (Lightnin') and not Mathijs who replied to your (sarcastic) post.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:19

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
When does a musicion clam the songwriting?
I cannot imagine KR,or MJ or MT,RW,or even BW & CW ran into the studio
and say:"here is the song,here is the leed sheet,just play this and shut the ****
up.

Er...this is basically how it happens within the Stones. For every record Keith has written a couple, Jagger has written a couple, and the rest they wrote together. From the bootlegs that are available you can hear that most songs are fairly finished when presented to the band: a verse, a chorus, an instrumental break. The melody is there, most of the time parts of the lyrics as well. Then the song is rehearsed over and over again, and this is where each member adds his own flavor. A solo here, a riff there, some magic bass by Bill etc.

Mathijs

How do you know and heare this,and maybe you can recomend some bootlegs?

I would suggest you start down loading, starting with "A":

[www.iorr.org]

When you get to "Z" it probably is a lot clearer.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2008 23:20

Well, I don't want to be rude now here, but most of the times I really don't understand what you're trying to say. It's maybe your English, but I just often don't get your point.

Mathijs [citeert-hi hi]

Ja,maar soms een beetje gehaast ,vandaar mijn slordig Engels..Begreep je echt niet dat mijn reactie sarcastisch bedoeld was met "lightnings" gelul over Taylor.
Ps,ik heb t gevoel dat jij mij niet begrijpt omdat je niet nauwkeurig leest of bij voorbaat denkt alles beter te weten.

Verder even goede vrienden hoor.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:27

scottkeef
Even I know Taylor was made a full member! Heres a question for others with more "learnin" than me, didnt it take Ron longer to made a full member than MT and if so, why?

Yes it did take Ron a lot longer. Almost twenty years to be exact.
Why ? Because they already had five directors. Technically they were still required to pay Taylor his share of the profit from each of the companies they founded.
Also, the first couple of years they weren't sure if it was going to be a permanent arrangement with Ronnie. (Jagger thought Ronnie was a nice guy but had his doubts about him as a guitarist).

Date: July 16, 2008 23:31

Amsterdamned
Ja,maar soms een beetje gehaast ,vandaar mijn slordig Engels..Begreep je echt niet dat mijn reactie sarcastisch bedoeld was met "lightnings" gelul over Taylor.
Ps,ik heb t gevoel dat jij mij niet begrijpt omdat je niet nauwkeurig leest of bij voorbaat denkt alles beter te weten.

That's what I said. Total poppycock.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:37

Lightnin'
Amsterdamned

I was in a hurry again,Im meant Alimente talking poppycock.Pardon me.
Ik was weer te gehaast.Ik bedoelde Alimente's gelul.Excuses.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:40

Lightnin

Amsterdamned
I was in a hurry again,Im meant Alimente talking poppycock. Pardon me.
Ik was weer te gehaast. Ik bedoelde Alimente's gelul. Excuses.

Thank you for setting that straight.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:42

Lightnin'
Lightnin

Amsterdamned
I was in a hurry again,Im meant Alimente talking poppycock. Pardon me.
Ik was weer te gehaast. Ik bedoelde Alimente's gelul. Excuses.

Thank you for setting that straight.

Youre welcome.

Date: July 16, 2008 23:50

Amsterdamned

Mathijs [citeert-hi hi]

Sorry, ik denk echt dat ik je niet begrijp door slordig Engels. Je moet verder ook niet vergeten dat sommige mensen -waaronder ik zei de gek- op dit message board al jaren zitten, elk onderwerp is al zeker vijf keer behandeld, en dus kan er op een relatieve nieuwkomer (wat jij volgens mij bent) wel eens kortaf worden gereageerd.

Mathijs

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 16, 2008 23:54

ablett
I never know how the stones ever managed before or after MT

Twas a mystery of the highest kind.....

They managed by playing, night after night, songs that they recorded while he was with them.

And only a miniscule amount from the post-MT era.

Mystery solved.

Date: July 17, 2008 00:04

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs [citeert-hi hi]

Sorry, ik denk echt dat ik je niet begrijp door slordig Engels. Je moet verder ook niet vergeten dat sommige mensen -waaronder ik zei de gek- op dit message board al jaren zitten, elk onderwerp is al zeker vijf keer behandeld, en dus kan er op een relatieve nieuwkomer (wat jij volgens mij bent) wel eens kortaf worden gereageerd.

Mathijs

Ik ben geen nieuwkomer,ik volg de Stones en alles wat eraan gerelateerd is al
vanaf 1969(ik was toen 9) heb al hun nummers tot op het bot uitgezocht en exact nagespeeld. Na mijn 18-de ben ik jazz (met als grootse hobby jazzrock) gaan studeren(ik ben beroepsgitarist),dus alle(muzikale) issues over de Stones zijn gesneden koek voor mij, om
niet te zeggen kleuterschool.(met alle respect)

Dat heeft dus verder ook niks met Iorr te maken.

ps,Ik vond vooral de MT periode intersant.
Je interpreteerd mijn "nieuwkomerij" dus volkomen verkeerd.

Date: July 17, 2008 00:14

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs [citeert-hi hi]

Mathijs

vanaf 1969(ik was toen 9) heb al hun nummers tot op het bot uitgezocht en exact nagespeeld. Na mijn 18-de ben ik jazz (met als grootse hobby jazzrock) gaan studeren(ik ben beroepsgitarist),dus alle(muzikale) issues over de Stones zijn gesneden koek voor mij, om

Begrijp ik allemaal heel goed, maar ik denk dat je vergeet wat internet heeft betekend voor de gemiddelde fan. Ik heb er 20 jaar over gedaan om een verzameling van 100 LP bootlegs te krijgen, terwijl ik nu in 1 jaar meer dan 1000 bootlegs heb gekregen. Uit mijn verzameling van 150+ boeken heb ik nog geen 10% gekregen van wat ik op boards als IORR heb gekregen. Ik was 15 jaar lang de enige gitarist met interesse in de Stones, hier zitten er 30.

Als je de Stones wilt leren zoals de meesten hier op IORR doen, is het exact kunnen spelen van de meeste nummer geen vereiste -het kennen van de 100 meest bekende bootlegs wel.

Je moet je wel openstellen: jouw opinie over Ampeg amps werd door niemand gedragen -misschien klopt er dus wel iets niet helemaal aan jouw ervaring.

Mathijs
ps sorry, my last post in Dutch, we'll revert to English.

Mathijs

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 17, 2008 00:21

Here's an interesting extract from a lengthy NME article written by Nick Kent on the very day that Taylor left the Stones. The quotes are from Mick Jagger:

Date: July 17, 2008 00:33

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs [citeert-hi hi]

Mathijs

Begrijp ik allemaal heel goed, maar ik denk dat je vergeet wat internet heeft betekend voor de gemiddelde fan. Ik heb er 20 jaar over gedaan om een verzameling van 100 LP bootlegs te krijgen, terwijl ik nu in 1 jaar meer dan 1000 bootlegs heb gekregen. Uit mijn verzameling van 150+ boeken heb ik nog geen 10% gekregen van wat ik op boards als IORR heb gekregen. Ik was 15 jaar lang de enige gitarist met interesse in de Stones, hier zitten er 30.

Als je de Stones wilt leren zoals de meesten hier op IORR doen, is het exact kunnen spelen van de meeste nummer geen vereiste -het kennen van de 100 meest bekende bootlegs wel.

Je moet je wel openstellen: jouw opinie over Ampeg amps werd door niemand gedragen -misschien klopt er dus wel iets niet helemaal aan jouw ervaring.

Mathijs
ps sorry, my last post in Dutch, we'll revert to English.

Mathijs

Ik vraag me af-dat moet ik er bij zeggen -hoeveel iorr gitaristen werkelijk een beetje
fatsoenlijk stones kunnen spelen. Zonder arrogant te willen zijn hoor,maar dat merk ik
aan de vraag antwoord stellingen en de gebrekkige harmonische kennis van velen.
Mijn opinie over Ampeg werd door bijna niemand gedragen omdat ik denk dat er maar weinig jonge(35-) gitaristen zijn die deze verstekers ooit gebruikt hebben,laat
staan dat ze weten wat er in zit, er aan voorafging of dat ze ons konden of
wilden volgen...
Maar ik vind je iorr inbreng wel een van de beste,dat moet ik je nageven.

Groetjes uit Amsterdam

Back to the good old English.

Date: July 17, 2008 00:37

Huh?

Posted by: doster ()
Date: July 17, 2008 00:37

liddas
Why is this songwriting credits thing so difficult to understand?

Tell that to Marianne Faithful. (Sister Morphine reference)

Date: July 17, 2008 00:52

LOGIE
Here's an interesting extract from a lengthy NME article written by Nick Kent on the very day that Taylor left the Stones. The quotes are from Mick Jagger:

That's a good find, thanks for posting this. So here we have confirmed what I was stating all along about everything getting split five ways. Please note that Jagger mentions this also applies to the record royalties.

Since they have been their own record company (from 1970), they didn't (and still don't) have to put up with the usual 8 - 25 percent deal. Other acts get 8 - 25 of the retail price, the rate a band negotiates with the label depends on how much clout they have - instead the Stones take ALL the profit. This means the record royalties (also artist royalties) is a big chunk of the total money the Stones make.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 17, 2008 02:58

Taylor one of five directors, getting equal share of Stones income even after he left, preventing Ronnie from becoming a full member for nearly 20 years...

sure this explains Taylors lifestyle, living in holes like his Greenwich Village flat for many many years, releasing records on tiny labels like Stranger In This Town on Maze, with dubious soundquality, accepting gigs from almost everybody who ask him ... well, ok, something must have went terribly wrong with his finances - Stones directors usually do a bit better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-17 03:22 by alimente.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 17, 2008 04:05

Lightnin'
Smokey
This was true at the outset, but what is your source for this statement as it applies to his entire career with the Stones?

No this was not the case. It's quite incredible that people can actually believe Taylor was just a hired force. Taylor was on a wage during the summer of '69, after that he became a fully-fledged bandmember.

What "was not the case"?

scottkeef
I dont know if an album like Some Girls coulda sounded the same with Taylor because its much too constrictive for his style
And from a songwriting stance I think its interesting how quik Jagger and Richards were to give Ron credit.

How would Some Girls be too constrictive for his style? Was Rip This Joint too constrictive for his style? Live With Me? Even Bitch, Shake Your Hips or Rocks Off? How about Star Star?

About giving Ron credit quickly: there was no songwriter credit for Black and Blue (just the smirky "inspired by"), and Ron was complaining about credits even when he was given a credit for Summer Romance on his second full studio album with the Stones.

In the article included above, Jagger states that record royalties were shared. This does not necessarily mean that songwriting royalties were shared.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 17, 2008 04:54

Mick Taylor and Brian Jones - so different, so similar.

Bringing something to a song (how it could go, it should do this, etc...) is not writing it.

And regardless of Mick Taylor recording on Honky Tonk Women, it would have been a hit.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 17, 2008 06:06

How would Some Girls be too constrictive for his style? Was Rip This Joint too constrictive for his style? Live With Me? Even Bitch, Shake Your Hips or Rocks Off? How about Star Star?
Thats my point-theres a distinctive difference in the style of Some Girls and the songs you mentioned. Besides I believe Keith played lead on a couple of em.
I'll give you the songwriting credit though. Guess Ron had as many as MT did in his entire Stones career by their second studio album. As you point out Black and Blue is just more of a audition album of different guitarists than anything else.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 17, 2008 08:21

Ronnie Wood songwriting credits with The Rolling Stones:
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Dance Part 1
If I Was A Dancer
Black Limousine
No Use In Crying
Pretty Beat Up
One Hit (To The Body)
Fight
Dirty Work
Had It With You

Songs he didn't get credit for that I am aware of:
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Hey, Negrita

Mick Taylor songwriting credits with The Rolling Stones:
Ventilator Blues

Songs he said he helped write/didn't credit for:
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Time Waits For No One

What else? I forget the other tunes. Ronnie actually came up with part of IORR and Hey Negrita but Mick T played a guitar solo on CYHMK and thinks that's songwriting credit?

That is what that is about.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 17, 2008 09:15

scottkeef
Thats my point-theres a distinctive difference in the style of Some Girls and the songs you mentioned.
I continue the dialogue because I think he could have successfully contributed; that is, I think he could have made lemonade out of any lemon. Something like Lies has serviceable Jagger lyrics and flat, Rolling Faces, rave up music. Taylor would not have turned this into TWFNO. The "oh-we-can-be-just-as-punk-as-you--look-at-my-ripped-shirt" aspiration of the song would have been preserved, but some dimension would have been added to it.

Besides I believe Keith played lead on a couple of em.
That was my point: Taylor contributed as a rhythm guitarist and added depth and dimensions to even the simpler songs

I'll give you the songwriting credit though.
No, not to me. Bill, Ron and Little Mick may want them though.

Guess Ron had as many as MT did in his entire Stones career by their second studio album.
Ron says that had to keep badgering the management for them, which may explain his failure to get any songwriting credits on Black and Blue and Some Girls.
With Taylor, his complaint seems to be mostly that he was promised certain credits and that those promises went unfulfilled. The more general comments about songwriting credits seem to be more muted and most often seem to be interviewer-inspired rather than complaints.

As for CYHMK, I do not recall any statement by him that he should have received songwriting credit. He has said that he continued to play when the song should have faded out, so he is (at least somewhat) responsible for the ensuing jam. That, however, is a far cry from claiming a songwriting credit. Incidentally, he has at other times indicated that the song's structure was planned from the outset, which might or might not be contradictory.

Date: July 17, 2008 09:17

Ik vraag me af-dat moet ik er bij zeggen -hoeveel iorr gitaristen werkelijk een beetje
fatsoenlijk stones kunnen spelen. Zonder arrogant te willen zijn hoor,maar dat merk ik
aan de vraag antwoord stellingen en de gebrekkige harmonische kennis van velen.
Mijn opinie over Ampeg werd door bijna niemand gedragen omdat ik denk dat er maar weinig jonge(35-) gitaristen zijn die deze verstekers ooit gebruikt hebben,laat
staan dat ze weten wat er in zit, er aan voorafging of dat ze ons konden of
wilden volgen...
Maar ik vind je iorr inbreng wel een van de beste,dat moet ik je nageven.

Groetjes uit Amsterdam

Er zijn mensen hier met hele mooie gitaar- en versterker verzamelingen, inclusief oude Triumph en Vox Supremes, Ampegs en Boogies. Veel Custom ship Fender en Gibson. Er zijn ook contributies van collectors en eigenaren van gitaarwinkels die leveren aan de Stones, mensen die via het Les Paul Forum eigenaar zijn van gitaren van de Stones. Je moet de kracht van een internationale site als deze niet onderschatten.

Mathijs
ps translation: Amsterdamned said he like his women between 22 and 26, I said I like em older a bit.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: July 17, 2008 10:27

Mathijs
ps translation: Amsterdamned said he like his women between 22 and 26, I said I like em older a bit.

In Nederlands: Mathijs houdt van MILF's met grote borsten en veel haar en Amsterdamned nog meer, maar die is dan ook al bejaard.
Koop toch eens nieuwe versterkers jongelui.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 17, 2008 11:10

Smokey
As for CYHMK, I do not recall any statement by him that he should have received songwriting credit. He has said that he continued to play when the song should have faded out, so he is (at least somewhat) responsible for the ensuing jam. That, however, is a far cry from claiming a songwriting credit. Incidentally, he has at other times indicated that the song's structure was planned from the outset, which might or might not be contradictory.

Last time I saw him here in Milano, he introduced Knocking as a song that he "had been playing some time before joining the Stones".

C

Date: July 17, 2008 11:16

[
[/quote]

Er zijn mensen hier met hele mooie gitaar- en versterker verzamelingen, inclusief oude Triumph en Vox Supremes, Ampegs en Boogies. Veel Custom ship Fender en Gibson. Er zijn ook contributies van collectors en eigenaren van gitaarwinkels die leveren aan de Stones, mensen die via het Les Paul Forum eigenaar zijn van gitaren van de Stones. Je moet de kracht van een internationale site als deze niet onderschatten.

Mathijs
ps translation: Amsterdamned said he like his women between 22 and 26, I said I like em older a bit.[/quote]

Dat doe ik zeker niet Mathijs.
ps Translation:Mathijs told he only likes black woman with blond hair.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home