Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Post: Black Crowes - Can't You Hear Me Knocking (complete)
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 24, 2008 22:00

I was listening to a Crowes boot this night and thought how great it was seeing them live this spring in Amsterdam. The Crowes usually end their show with a cover song for an encore. The show I was listening to (October 18th 2007) ended with Can't You Hear Me Knocking. After have listened to it once, I thought: I can't keep this from the good people over at IORR!

So here it is, Can't You Me Knocking performed by the Black Crowes. The solo is played by Paul Stacey, who replaced Marc Ford in those days and later produced the album the Crowes released three months ago.

Audio: click here!
Youtube: [url=

][/url]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-24 22:24 by mr edward.

Re: Post: Black Crowes - Can't You Hear Me Knocking (complete)
Date: June 24, 2008 23:03

I made a list of all the Stones songs the Crowes covered over the years. I'll try posting them here when I've found them all. This is list.

Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man
Tumbling Dice
Let It Bleed
Torn & Frayed
You Gotta Move
Happy
You Got The Silver
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Silver Train
Loving Cup
Miss You (jam)
Heartbreaker
No Expectations

Should result in a nice compilation, don't you think?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:07

Hmmmm, much to my surprise I have to say I prefer the Crowes live rendition to the Stones.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:22

not much of a solo, but thanks for posting

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:32

I heard this once and begged to have it removed from the sound system. Oh, just awful.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:35

As usual the Black Crowes miss the point completely....

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:41

Holy crap..........this is just.........no words

Somebody please bring me a nurse

"Mag ik ff een teiltje?"

Posted by: Jocke ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:55

Can you recomend a Black Crowes album? =)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:57

I'm surprised the reaction has been less than enthusiastic. To my ears their version is closer to the original than the Stones live rendition of recent years. Still, to each their own...

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 25, 2008 00:42

This is a poor recording. I caught them doing it last year at Milwaukee's Summerfest and it blew me away. Although vocally Chris Robinson doesn't compare to Mick Jagger I thought the guitar work was tighter and more inspired. I also have a recording of them from The Joint in Las Vegas from 1996 doing Torn And Frayed,Silver Train, and Happy. All three songs were done better that I have heard The Stones perform. Don't knock them just because they aren't the originals.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 25, 2008 00:48

Aside from CR's voice, which ain't my fave, this sounds better than version from the LIcks tour.

Love to hear their take on "silver train."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-25 00:48 by martingo.

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: June 25, 2008 07:01

The one album to listen to of the Crowes is Southern Musical Symphony. It simple is their best and a fantastic album in general from begining to end.

Date: June 25, 2008 09:48

Jocke

The first three albums: Shake Your Moneymaker! (1990), Southern Harmony & Musical Companion (1992) and Amorica (1994).

But Hailtothestones is right: Southern Harmony is the best. One of the best albums from the nineties.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 25, 2008 09:49

Jocke

that depends....if your taste leans towards Sticky Fingers, then The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion is your best bet.

If you cup of tea is Exile...then Amorica should fit the bill.

if Black & Blue catches your fancy then 3 Snakes & 1 Charm has the same type of hidden treasure songs....

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 25, 2008 12:05

They might not be the best players in the world, "original" is not their name ... you add a criticism and I am fine with it. But that said, how can one possibly not LOVE these guys?

They play EXACTLY what I would play if I could. They love the music WE ALL love. They come from the blues and the soul, the roots are where they should be. The records they grew up with are exactly the records that any good stones fan has in his collection. I can remember an interview on a guitar mag at the time of their first CD. Asked to list their 10 fav records, the answer was beggars banquet, exile, faces, etc.

Amorica is the proof that it is still possible to do not good but GREAT r'n'r albums. And the others are great too.

Seen them many times live. On a bad night they can be boring as hell, but on a good night (most are good nights) they are the perfect balance between jam band's noodling and concise r'n'r. Their shows are absolutely great!

Then there is this little magic that sometimes happens to stones fans going to see the Black Crowes: they play lots of stones covers AS THEY SHOULD BE PLAYED. A treat in the treat! The video of knocking doesn't tell us the story of a good band covering a great song. It tells us about the Crowes love for the stones!

C

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 25, 2008 12:46

I'm with Liddas here. The Crowes just love the Stones, like we do. And on a good night they're a great band. A few months ago I posted a thread about Chris Robinson telling that he had just listened to a 1972 Stones bootleg of a Philidelphia show and how he thought that was the best rock 'n roll show there has ever been.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 25, 2008 14:12

they're one of the few totally unpretentious bands around, and they don't drop names to impress anyone. walk the walk and talk the talk. that's right, maybe a cliche, but one that works.

Date: June 25, 2008 14:23

Liddas wrote± `The video of knocking doesn't tell us the story of a good band covering a great song. It tells us about the Crowes love for the stones!´

That´s right Liddas. But don´t forget to listen to the audiofile that I posted right above the youtube video!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 25, 2008 14:36

Didn't Marc Ford re-join the band only to leave again recently?

Date: June 25, 2008 14:39

Ford rejoined them in 2005, but left once again in 2006. Paul Stacy filled in for a short period. Since 2007 Luther Dickinson from the Northern Mississippi All Stars plays the lead (slide) guitar on stage with them.

A damn shame, Ford fitted the Crowes perfectly. He's just an amazing guitarist.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 25, 2008 14:44

I like this one:

Black Crowes - Remedy:

Date: June 25, 2008 15:38

mr edward
Liddas wrote± `The video of knocking doesn't tell us the story of a good band covering a great song. It tells us about the Crowes love for the stones!´

That´s right Liddas. But don´t forget to listen to the audiofile that I posted right above the youtube video!

I did! And it is a great redention! WHAT A BAND!

C

Date: June 25, 2008 15:42

mr edward
Ford rejoined them in 2005, but left once again in 2006. Paul Stacy filled in for a short period. Since 2007 Luther Dickinson from the Northern Mississippi All Stars plays the lead (slide) guitar on stage with them.

A damn shame, Ford fitted the Crowes perfectly. He's just an amazing guitarist.

So true. I flew from Milano to NY on purpose to see the 2005 reunion tour concerts at the Hammerstein. They did a great Torn and Frayed that night by the way. Was very sad when Ford quit once more. Apparently it was quit or die for him.

In any case Dickinson is a great replace. His work on the last album is wonderful and fits perfectly the music. Although Ford IS the guitarist of the BC!

C

Date: June 25, 2008 15:50

Send you an email, Liddas.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2008 15:50

what a waste of time watching that garbage

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:38

They're a white band who ripped off a white band who ripped off black musicians. My concentric circles stop at The Stones and Zep. I have given this band a chance. A soundboard boot was surrepitiously slipped on by a friend in Amsterdam. I couldn't bear to listen to it, it sounded like some sh!tty garage band. [[u]i]AND I WAS RIGHT![/i][/u]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 25, 2008 18:12

Thanx and nice !!

The rhytm guitar sounds very much like the original on Fingers.

If Keith could still play like this . .

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: June 25, 2008 20:03

Very cool version!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 26, 2008 18:06

wow, good to see some appreciation for the Crowes here, I'd expected the "they suck....glorified garage band" stuff...but the recognition that the Brothers Robinson share the love for same music that most of us here do...now that is pretty cool.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 26, 2008 21:13

Pretty cool rendition by Black Crowes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home