Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which warhorses do YOU NEED to hear?
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 22, 2008 20:09

skipstone
Start Me Up
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy For The Devil
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
You Got Me Rocking
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Paint It Black
Miss You

I could certainly see a show without these. For some reason I have never included Street Fighting Man in there even though it is an often played song live and on radio. It's just one of those songs that I couldn't possibly get sick of.

That'sa good list Skip. I could also easily do without all of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 01:03 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 22, 2008 20:18

tatters
There are eight songs that should be played at every Stones concert

Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimmie Shelter
Midnight Rambler
Brown Sugar

On second thought, because I've never liked the way HTW gets played live, I'd drop it in favour of Bitch. That way, in addition to Satisfaction and JJF, you'd get the first song on each side of Beggers, LIB, and Fingers.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 23, 2008 00:49

Id say TD, JJF Honkey tonk women and BS.

streetfighting man and gimme shelter should be played more. Weird that they were ignored (GS pretty much was) on the last tour. Ive only seen the stones three times going back to the Licks tour and Im happy with all the songs Ive gotten to see. Only that Ive never seen them Do gimme shelter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-23 00:52 by ryanpow.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 24, 2008 02:05

Gimme Shelter
JJF
Brown Sugar
Paint It Black
Under MY Thumb
Wild Horses ( if you can call it a war horse...I don't hear it enough!)
As Tears Go By (Another oldie not played enough!)

Date: June 24, 2008 10:31

JJF
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up

I'd say, keep those three, and put in other warhorses in the final set. HTW and SFTD are used up, imo.

Posted by: stones1984 ()
Date: June 24, 2008 11:07

paint it, black
midnight rambler
start me up

and erm.... satisfaction (ducks and runs for cover)

in explaination, ive only been to 2 concerts so i wld feel like i'd missed out if i didnt hear it, i guess im the one of the fans that mick chooses to play warhorses for & annoy the long term fans who want to hear something new,

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 24, 2008 11:41

The over reliance on the old warhorses is what is dragging the Stones down into becoming a glorified cabaret act albeit one on the stadium circuit. They need to regain some acclaim by taking a few more risks - perhaps taking note of what Neil Young is doing and playing a good mixture of old, new and the unexpected.

It is exactly the unexpected that is generally missing from the Stones sets these days. We all know they are going to start with Start Me Up and end with Sympathy For The Devil, Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash in the final run up to the end. This is becoming boring.

We've had threads heree about the songs we'd all like to see - stuff off Goat's Head Soup like Hide Your Love, Winter or Coming Down Again, stuff off Beggar's Banquet like Jigsaw Puzzle or Salt Of The Earth, Exile gems like Torn And Frayed, Turd On The Run and Rip This Joint...maybe even Citadel or 2000 Lights year From Home. They could do so much more.

They rehearse loads of these lesser heard songs before tours start but then we never really get to hear them. How many real rare gems were there on the last few tours? I heard Shine A Light once, Bitch and Sway. The lucky ones saw the club gigs in 2002/3 and got stuff like That's How Strong My Love Is. It really is time for a rethink now.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:36

I need to hear Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Woman, Sympathy For The Devil, maybe Brown Sugar, too.

I don't need Tumbling Dice, IORR, even I love Midnight Rambler, I could imagine loving a show without it...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 24, 2008 13:22

'horse with no name'

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 24, 2008 14:20

Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Midnight Rambler

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2008 17:05

Hey rollingstonesfan, just play Forty Licks and you'll have all of those same old by-the-numbers boring songs you listed! Very daring!

Maybe they'll change them up a bit since that's all they're going to play anymore.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 24, 2008 17:07

I think skipstone has it pretty right on with his list of warhorses, those tunes have been played at just about every show since 1989, with an exception here and there. Midnight Rambler I wish was a warhorse, yes its played often but not every show like it used to be in the 70s. That is one song that needs to be played to show the Stones at their best. Its amazing to me that they always play You Got Me Rocking, and usually with not much life besides Mick getting the crowd to say "Hey, Hey.."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2008 21:09

honky tonk with keith playing those open-G chords

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 25, 2008 21:47

They always start out the tour with good intentions by trying to incorporate more rare stuff but almost always drop them along the way. By the time they get to the end of the tour they are most definitely back in the usual structure of warhorses.

It's almost like new years resolutions. They promise to lay off the junk food and eat more healthy. They start out okay...then they slowly break and next thing you know...they're eating pizzas and hot dogs again.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 25, 2008 21:56

tatters

On second thought, because I've never liked the way HTW gets played live, I'd drop it in favour of Bitch. That way, in addition to Satisfaction and JJF, you'd get the first song on each side of Beggers, LIB, and Fingers.[/quote

Interesting -- I like Bitch, but the not-guitar-driven version they've done since 89 is not my favorite arrangement, and I'd rather hear HTW. While I enjoy many versions of HTW, I do agree with you that the original studio version has a certain something...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home