Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Deep Purple
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:03

I don't know how many people appreciates Deep Purple over here.But I heard that nowadays they are touring without Blackmore.Is it true?If so, can they attract crowds without Blackmore?

Re: Deep Purple
Date: April 25, 2008 11:07

blackmore has been out of the band since around 1994 and they've been touring and making albums without him ever since. you are about 15 years too late

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:07

Deep Purple by Nino Tempo & April Stevens...Hey that's a cool lil record from the early sixties

ROCKMAN

Date: April 25, 2008 11:09

ok are they still effective without Blackmore?

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:14

i will tell you my appreciation after 12th August.

the first time for me to see them live onstage. That goes to the warm-up act Nazareth as well

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:29

Long time ago.

Saw them at the Liverpool Stadium on (I think it was) 28/02/73?

Guess who the support band was? (I think it was) Nazareth!! Is Manny Charlton back with them?? Great guitarist

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:45

Sorry, I don´t know..
I have make deep backround research before going there!

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:49

Manny went out of the band a long time ago.......but I think that he is back

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:10

Blackmore makes now medieval music with his wife. They live in a castle somewhere in Germany if I remember. Great tv report was made last year on ARTE tv.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 25, 2008 13:09

Steve Morse was Blackmore's replacement, highly respected in guitar playing circles.

They have recorded and toured consistently over recent years, their last record be the acclaimed Tales from the Deep, which was pretty good, if you like deep purple then you’ll like this.

Last time I saw them was a year or two ago when they headlined the Monsters of rock festival in the UK, and also the Sweden Rock Festival if I remember correctly, although I was pretty drunk for that whole festival.

Ritchie is busy wearing tights and singing ‘Hay Nonny Nonny’ down the bottom of the garden with Candice night.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 25, 2008 13:11

did I say Tales from the Deep? I meant Rapture. still pretty good record. Better I think than the last few.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 25, 2008 13:26

Deep Purple In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head - Who Do We Think We Are.
Four great albums, liked them a lot then. After that I lost interest.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 25, 2008 13:37

BAd for you, Thommie, since Perfect Strangers is their 2nd best album after MH imo.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 25, 2008 13:51

Noone's perfect. Not even strangers...winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2008 14:03

I also hear they had as good period the last (latest?) time with
Ritchie.. But I missed out that one. Reunion gig 1985 was unforgettable.
1987 good as well, but 85 better. But you'd better get that PS album;
its even heavier than the old material...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 25, 2008 14:13

Blackmore's gone all acoustic and taken to dressing up like a Wizard these days.
Great guitarist at his peak however I think he did some of his best work with Rainbow.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: April 25, 2008 14:15

Ritchie was very impressive in 1985, played minimalistic & precious.
Also liked his playin' around 1970.

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: April 25, 2008 15:21

Saw them again last autumn after nine years. Nice performance, had a good time.
You know... after two Stones show last summer it's hard to be very much impressed by what's left of Deep Purple.
Steve Morse, excellent guitarist, but everybody thinks back at Ritchie.
Jon Lord not anymore in the band.
Gillan fighting to keep up.
Ian Paice and Glover excellent.
Horrible sound system, crashed three times during the show. Last time during the "encore", Smoke On The Water. Crowd keeps singing the chorus during the sound breakdown. Gillan very impressed smoking smiley
Very nice evening to remember... just dreaming at the next Stones tour...

Date: April 25, 2008 16:31

Is Steve Morse better than Blackmore ?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 25, 2008 16:49

I saw then once with Steve Morse and Jon Lord (Olympia Paris 1996)
It was really an excellent concert, with a great setlist, and much to my surprise and happiness, it became officially available in its entierty on double CD.

Highly recommended.

I was about to see them again recently, but Jon Lord left, and now I'm hesitating.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 25, 2008 17:04

kinoliksmith
Is Steve Morse better than Blackmore ?

No way!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 25, 2008 17:36

I saw them with the current lineup last summer.
They were really great. Steve Morse cooked and Gillian worked his ass off and you could tell that they all really enjoyed themselves. Smiles all the way around.

See them if you can!

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 25, 2008 18:04

Kurt
They were really great. Steve Morse cooked and Gillian worked his ass off and you could tell that they all really enjoyed themselves. Smiles all the way around.

See them if you can!

I saw it last summer as well and was very pleasantly surprised at how well they play and the enthusiam they still bring to the old warhorses. As I recall the tix were dirt cheap as well.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:18

Saw them twice before Blackmore/Lord left (the last 2 tours they did together), although they're replacements might be adequate musicians, just wouldn't seem the same to me...

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 25, 2008 19:40

They still sound good. Ritchie and Jon are missed.

Steve is a great player, but I miss Blackmore's sloppy loose solos.

Jon's stage presence alone was authenticity to the DP sound. I like hearing music played by the person who wrote it (may not make sense to some). Other than that there is little depth watching Don playing Jon's parts. Like watching young white blues guitarist in cover bands. Sure, they can play the notes, but they do not know why the notes are there.

Band is actually happier that Ritchie is not with them. They play tighter and more consistent. They do not draw the same crowds they used to, but they don't seem to mind.

I've met them quite a few times and from what they have all said, working with Ritchie was not easy and the fans suffered.

Ritchie is happy dressing like Robin Hood and playing to pubs full of grown men dressed up like extras in Brave Heart. His mother-in law who acts also as his manager has ruined his relationship with concert promoters in north america. Promoters sell out the shows, but do not wish to work with the mother-in law again. For a promoter to turn away a show that will make money is not heard of too often. Look at lack of North American dates he does. They want to do more shows but burn bridges in the way she treats promoters, local crews, etc.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 26, 2008 02:26

R
Kurt

See them if you can!

I saw it last summer as well and was very pleasantly surprised at how well they play and the enthusiam they still bring to the old warhorses. As I recall the tix were dirt cheap as well.

I wanted to see them last summer at Pine Knob, but goddamn it, Cactus, with McCarty, Bogert and Appice, were at the Magic Bag that very same night. I HAD to see Cactus, the first band I ever saw (in 1970, at the age of 11). I'll try to catch Purple if I get another chance.

Date: April 26, 2008 08:41

they still sound good. morse is a better technical guitar player than blackmore. "rapture of the deep", "bannanas" and "purpendicular" are all great deep purple albums but "abandon" sucked horribly. these 3 i mentioned are actually the best deep purple albums since the early 70's

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: April 26, 2008 17:30

They played without Ritchie already in 1975-76, the late Tommy Bolin being the replacement. Other members were David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Jon Lord and Ian Paice. This line-up made one excellent album: Come taste the band. They split up in 1976. Purple reformed with Gillan and Blackmore in 1984.

Date: April 26, 2008 20:01

...and check Perfect Strangers for the EXCELLENT groove they created in 84...

Posted by: Matti ()
Date: April 26, 2008 23:06

Baboon Bro
...and check Perfect Strangers for the EXCELLENT groove they created in 84...

Yes, Perfect Strangers is a very good album.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home