Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Deep Purple
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:31

If Morse is a better guitar player than Blackmore, then why Blackmore is regarded as one of the Best guitarist.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:38

I guess that when Blackmore has done hundreds of interviews saying that he's the best and everyone else out there stinks, some folks begin to believe it.

Reality, his playing worked well for Deep Purple, but just because he won't play with them (the A-hole he is) that doesn't mean DP can't try to find a worthy replacement, does it? Morse does a great job for the band IMO.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:46

Ditto that Bluzdude! I have seen Purple twice in recent years in Singapore, and both times they were fantastic! I have seen Purple with Blackmore (without Ian Gillian and they were ok...but prefered the recent line up with Gillian on vocals) and it is ashame John Lord is no longer with them as well. But having said that the last time I saw them they were fantastic. And Gillian still has his chops and sang the hell out of Child of Time! A true accomplishment at his age!

Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:51

then why STONES didn't go without Keith when he has serious feud with Mick during the mid 80s?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:52

Thats totally twisted.

Date: April 28, 2008 05:04

Totally different bands and situations. And from what I know Blackmore made things alomst intolerable in DP, until he was finally booted/quit...tried to rejoin once with Gillian and they were fighting constantly. From what people say and write he is a huge prima donna.
Anyhow, Blackmore wan't the charismatic writing/playing force on par with Keith in the Stones... DP was able to carry on without him...

Date: April 28, 2008 05:21

According to what I've read, when Perfect Strangers was released and the band toured, upon its completion Blackmore went to the record company and demanded that he be able to get rid of Gillan and bring in Joe Lynn Turner; the rest of the band stuck together with Gillan and the rest is history.

Date: April 28, 2008 05:31

yeah, and he went onto Rainbow, which was pretty horrid. Kind of like Asia...never moved me at all. Even saw them live and of course they did Smoke on the Water and Highway Star, but nothing like Gillian sining it! To me Gillian is incredible! And necessary in any incarnation of DP.

Re: Deep Purple / Cactus
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 28, 2008 11:22

tatters
(...)
I wanted to see them last summer at Pine Knob, but goddamn it, Cactus, with McCarty, Bogert and Appice, were at the Magic Bag that very same night. I HAD to see Cactus, the first band I ever saw (in 1970, at the age of 11). I'll try to catch Purple if I get another chance.

And, did Cactus cut it?

I only came to hear them via the Jeff Beck / Jimi Hendrix connection (they opened for Hendrix in 1970 - didn't they?).

Not the "deepest" Band IMO, but surely wild. Some tracks like "Evil", "Parchman Farm" or "One Way...Or Another", are really powerful. And I like the way the used gadgets like the "Octavia" in their guitar solos.

A friend of mine was at the "GIT" academy in LA where he met Tim Bogert who's teaching there. He had some interesting stories to tell about Cactus and BBA... Would've loved to hear them first hand!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 14:00 by Greenblues.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 28, 2008 13:36

whitem8
yeah, and he went onto Rainbow, which was pretty horrid. Kind of like Asia...never moved me at all. Even saw them live and of course they did Smoke on the Water and Highway Star, but nothing like Gillian sining it! To me Gillian is incredible! And necessary in any incarnation of DP.

Coverdale is a much better singer than Gillan was/will ever be.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: April 28, 2008 14:55

DC is good; but his vanity tops Freddy Mercury or why not Sir Reg or Liberace? grinning smiley ..
Stumbled over a nice blog-type site: Pre-Purple People.. (see below)

Mr Coverdale

Glenn Hughes [zakkorama.blogspot.com]

Coverdale [zakkorama.blogspot.com]

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 28, 2008 14:59

Quite partial to the ole "Perfect Street Rangers" (aka DP).

I think "Burn" and "Stombringer" are exceptionally underrated, but of course plough a different furrow to the MKII stuff.

Saw the reformed, original MKII line-up three times from 1985, until Richie left for the last time and I have seen the current line-up twice:
London Astoria 2006 and London Wembley Arena 2007.

Steve Morse is a technically gifted guitarist, but I think the problem is that he lacks on stage charisma and performance flare. Richie Blackmore naturally has the latter two qualities in abundance, but is technically veriable and an inconsistent, moody performer. The current line-up delivers a consistent, professional and enjoyable show (a good rock night out), but lacks the dynamism contributed by Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore. Ian Gillan's voice is as good as it used to be, without quite the same high note delivery aptitude and Ian Paice as as thunderingly brilliant on drums.

SD

Date: April 28, 2008 15:33

This also a nice site about current and previous Purple. News etc.
deep-purple.net

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 16:01

Steve Morse is an outstanding guitarist, I saw them last summer and Deep Purple is still simply outstanding live.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 28, 2008 16:53

It´s great to see the gentlemen in the orchestra. Such overwhelming enthusiasm...
Ritchie in 1969.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:09

Greenblues
tatters
(...)
I wanted to see them last summer at Pine Knob, but goddamn it, Cactus, with McCarty, Bogert and Appice, were at the Magic Bag that very same night. I HAD to see Cactus, the first band I ever saw (in 1970, at the age of 11). I'll try to catch Purple if I get another chance.

And, did Cactus cut it?

I only came to hear them via the Jeff Beck / Jimi Hendrix connection (they opened for Hendrix in 1970 - didn't they?).

Not the "deepest" Band IMO, but surely wild. Some tracks like "Evil", "Parchman Farm" or "One Way...Or Another", are really powerful. And I like the way the used gadgets like the "Octavia" in their guitar solos.

A friend of mine was at the "GIT" academy in LA where he met Tim Bogert who's teaching there. He had some interesting stories to tell about Cactus and BBA... Would've loved to hear them first hand!

They were painfully loud, the loudest show I've ever been to, with the possible exception of seeing John Entwistle play at a private party in 1996. Unfortunately, the 2006-07 edition of Cactus only played a handful of shows. The last was a sold out show in Detroit, hometown of guitarist Jim McCarty and the band's original vocalist, the late Rusty Day. I thought they were incredible, but when I spoke to McCarty a couple weeks ago, and asked him if there were plans for any more Cactus gigs, he told me he quit the band in frustration right after the Detroit show. He said he quit for the same reason he quit 35 years ago, which is that he and bassist Tim Bogert just aren't musically compatible. Jim likes a bass player who's style is sparse and orthodox. Bogert simply isn't that kind of bass player. He plays bass like HE'S the lead guitarist. From a fan's point of view, it's thrilling to see and listen to a band like that, but from the band's point of view, it was more like an experiment that never really worked out. As McCarty told me "The thing with Tim is, you never know who's going to show up. Is it going to be the guy on the CD or is it going to be the guy who was on stage in Detroit last summer? The guy who doesn't listen to what I'm playing and has his amp turned up twice as loud as it's supposed to be?"

Date: April 29, 2008 02:13

audun-eg
whitem8

Ounch! Totally disagree...for me the classic line up of Purple was with Gillian...man his singing on Child of Time on Live in Japan is stunning...much better range than Cloverdale, and not as cheesy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 03:33 by whitem8.

Date: April 29, 2008 02:27

DC made four good efforts:
Mistreated
Burn
Soldier Of Fortune
You Keep On Movin'
IG turned everything into gold..
But there are some worrying video clips lately; I'm afraid his pipes are goin'up sh*t creek

Date: April 29, 2008 03:34

Could be a few bad nights, that happens. I have seen him tiwce in recent years and he was fantastic, but granted the last time I saw him was two years ago...

Date: April 29, 2008 04:16

audun-eg

Yeah...if you like that coorporate rock sound

Date: April 29, 2008 05:04

Agreed, he just seemed like another faceless long hair corporate rock singer...didn't move me at all...

Date: April 29, 2008 09:36

I have a theory that there is a sharp paradigmatic line drawn between
the good and the bad... Sorry, between people born before or after 1966.
Born after and not brought up to Gillan; you might prefer DC. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 09:37 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 29, 2008 11:31

tatters
I thought they were incredible, but when I spoke to McCarty a couple weeks ago, and asked him if there were plans for any more Cactus gigs, he told me he quit the band in frustration right after the Detroit show. He said he quit for the same reason he quit 35 years ago, which is that he and bassist Tim Bogert just aren't musically compatible. Jim likes a bass player who's style is sparse and orthodox. Bogert simply isn't that kind of bass player. He plays bass like HE'S the lead guitarist. (...) As McCarty told me "The thing with Tim is, you never know who's going to show up. Is it going to be the guy on the CD or is it going to be the guy who was on stage in Detroit last summer? The guy who doesn't listen to what I'm playing and has his amp turned up twice as loud as it's supposed to be?"

That's interesting, tatters, because Beck said the same things about Bogert and cited it as one of the reasons that made him quit Beck, Bogert & Appice. Like it was a band that was firing on "too many cylinders". Not that Jeff isn't a dominating player either. But if one's able to "outdo" even Beck, he must be well over the top... ;-) Anyway, as I told you, I really like Jim McCarty's playing in Cactus. Great you had fun there and even had the opportunity to speak to him. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-29 14:15 by Greenblues.

Date: April 29, 2008 13:03

Baboon Bro
I have a theory that there is a sharp paradigmatic line drawn between
the good and the bad... Sorry, between people born before or after 1966.
Born after and not brought up to Gillan; you might prefer DC. smiling smiley

Just to clear things up: Never thought or said tah Gillan is a bad singer. In fact I have all Purple records with both Gillan and Coverdale. For various reasons I prefer Coverdale as a singer. Has to do with Coverdale beeing a more melodic, bluesy type of singer, I guess.
Wether Purple was better with Gillan or Coverdale, I see no point in discussing because they really were two different bands, right? I like them both. Coverdale surely can't sing Child In Time as well as Gillan sure as hell can't sing Mistreated the way Coverdale does.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: April 29, 2008 13:10

whitem8

rainbow was before perfect strangers. you didn't like any version of rainbow? even when dio was singing and they did "man on the silver mountain"? joe lynn turner is an awesome singer. blackmore finally got his wish and jlt sings on 1 deep purple album (slaves and master) and started recording another album with them but the record company basically made blackmore get gillan back

Date: April 29, 2008 13:54

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

rainbow was before perfect strangers. you didn't like any version of rainbow? even when dio was singing and they did "man on the silver mountain"? joe lynn turner is an awesome singer. blackmore finally got his wish and jlt sings on 1 deep purple album (slaves and master) and started recording another album with them but the record company basically made blackmore get gillan back

Can't really see the connection between Rainbow and Asia? Rainbow was an incredible band! Especially the "Rising", "On Stage" and "Long Live Rock'n' Roll" line-up. As a live act I guess they must have blown most other contemporary artists an bands away

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: April 29, 2008 18:35

Rainbow with Dio is sumfin outstandin' imo

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 2, 2008 12:24

Date: December 2, 2008 12:46

The Joker

Priceless! tongue sticking out smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: December 2, 2008 14:20

They sound ok today; but my Purple includes both Ritchie & Jon.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home