Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: GREATEST BANDS OF ALL TIME
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:54

skipstone
Dylan being nostalgic. What a load of crap.

I saw him at Jazz Fest in 1998. He was doing Tangled Up In Blue and Grayson and I just stood there and shook our heads for almost the entire song. ONE because the groove was exceptional and Recile was kickin' it and TWO it took us almost the entire song, ha ha, to figure out just what the fu*ck song he was doing!

F*u*c*k everyone that goes off on the nostalgic line of shit. You are the kind of people that grew up in malls. Grow a beard, climb a mountain, cut yourself by actually doing something, get some dirt under yer nails and grow up. You're not in the mall anymore.

LOL - brilliant

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:54

This is Helter Skelter's list so it MUST be the best and the one and only because HE is always right and don't you DARE disgaree as he is always right so do not disagree. And if you do he will yell at you and maybe even call you names.(Though I will in brackets)

BEATLES [overrated - more pop than roll]
STONES [duh. of course - thanks for mentioning them]
ZEPPELIN [top 5]
DOORS [not even close - try again]
DYLAN [rock and roll? maybe]
WHO [top 5 - well, when you list so many you gotta hit a few.ha]
CREAM [no]
HENDRIX [no/overrated]
FACES [no ]
BOWIE [not in top 10]
PINK FLOYD [pleaseeeeeeeeee]
GRATEFUL DEAD [now who needs a doctor???!!!!]
HUMBLE PIE [now who needs the [pyscho ward/]
AEROSMITH [stones rip-off artists who now only do bombastic arena rock - please]
U2 [were great/now just preachers]
REM [see humble pie above]
PEARL JAM [oh God!]
NIRVANA [super super overrated]
NINE INCH NAILS [what? are you on LSD?!!]
WHITE STRIPES [ok, it is confirmed, you ARE on LSD]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 22, 2008 19:04

I would bet almost nobody knows what any songs are from Exile if you stopped them in the street. It wasn't - and isn't - a big seller or their biggest album or had any hits on it. It's critically hailed and like wise by big time fans but overall it's an album with a bunch of songs on it nobody's heard with a terrible cover. Even Mick thinks it stinks.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 19:32

skipstone
I would bet almost nobody knows what any songs are from Exile .

Yeah that was the point

Date: February 22, 2008 21:10

I've always thought The White Stripes are lame but this little band of dorks called The Strokes? Come ON - who allows this shit to happen? The same people who bought Hootie? 14 million people can be wrong.

Date: February 22, 2008 22:27

skipstone
I would bet almost nobody knows what any songs are from Exile if you stopped them in the street. It wasn't - and isn't - a big seller or their biggest album or had any hits on it. It's critically hailed and like wise by big time fans but overall it's an album with a bunch of songs on it nobody's heard with a terrible cover. Even Mick thinks it stinks.

No he doesnt. Its certainly far from his favourite, but show me the quote where he's said it "stinks".

What have sales got to do with greatness anyway? It has sold more than many of the best albums by other great artists like Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, etc,

No hits? "Tumbling Dice"?? A song theyve played at pretty much every show since its release. And a double album which has sold a couple of million is hardly a collection that 'nobody's heard'. Almost everyone would love a commercial flop like that.

And dont get me started on the cover!

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: February 22, 2008 22:34

On the basis of most albums in the Zagalo racks...top 10 sort of...

Stones
Jimmy Reed
Muddy Waters
REM
Steve Earle
Husker Du (plus absolutely anything by Bob Mould)
Television (plus etc by Tom Verlaine)
Pixies (plus etc by Frank Black)
Sex Pistols (plus etc by John Lydon, PIL)
Kraftwerk

not enough room for Chuck Berry, The Jam, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Pink Floyd, Supergrass...I give in...

Melody with attack!!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 23, 2008 00:07

Exile comments...Happy and All Down the Line arent too bad as a single, either. That record rules, and the cover IS FANTASTIC...I would be a totally different person without it.

JR

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: February 23, 2008 00:16

Its sad, I see no mention of the Kinks. In the 60s they were just as good as the Big 3 (Beatles, Stones and Who).

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 23, 2008 00:16

Rush is a great band. I understand many who hate Geddy 's voice. I like it, but understand why many absolutely can hate it. But their musical prowess is undeniable. Masters technicians. I love em, but I hate most progressive rock. I got turned onto them as a kid & they just stuck. Many people who play instruments admire Neils drumming, Geddy's bass playing & Alex too. Difficult chord progressions, odd time signatures etc. I think history will be good to this group. It's strange ,its so not like my usual type of music. Too me it can be so technical, no groove etc but I do admire them and what theyv'eaccomplished.

MEZ

Date: February 23, 2008 02:59

Stinks was my own interpretation of what Mick said. He's the one that pointed out there were not hits on it. I'm assuming he meant something in the Top 10 or whatever - I guess his point being simply nothing that was #1. All 2 of them. Tumbling Dice wasn't a 'hit' in those regards (even though it's probably one of their all time best five songs). He said - I forget which book it's in, I guess the red one, that it's got a horrible mix, there are only a couple that can be played live (which he is obviously wrong about since I know they've played Sweet Virginia, Rocks Off, Rip This Joint, All Down The Line, Shine A Light, Happy and Loving Cup that I am aware of).

Exile has sold more than Who's Next? I really doubt that. Sales figures for double albums are very misleading, how they go gold and platinum and all that. With the exception to the CD sales, you can easily figure HALF of what they sold amounts to actual people having a copy of it. A couple of million? As a double album, that's just a million copies. That's not exactly HUGE. How many copies of CD records they've sold since CDs came out would certainly be a bigger amount since it's only one record now. But something tells me it has yet to even sell 5 million copies. Success and definitive are different. But in the minds of, oh I dunno, Mick Jagger, whichever one sells the most is the best one because the most people bought it, hence it's so good.

Whether that is an actual fact or not is all up to the individual. I guess. I think Undercover is a pretty fantastic album but it's not in their Top 10 Best or whatever for a lot of people.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 23, 2008 19:24

skipstone

The big four weren't known for their billboard hits. They were great albums that weren't geared towards the top forty. There were only four billboard hits between the four albums- none on BB or LIB.

A song can be "a hit" without being a Billboard hit. Sympathy.. and Gimme Shelter weren't Billboard hits but are more known to people than many number one Billboard songs. Tumbling Dice, Happy, Sweet Virginia, Rip This Joint and other songs on Exile are known by many people.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: February 23, 2008 23:37

No shit duh, I know Tumbling Dice is a hit amongst the fans etc... I was simply going by Mick's idea of whether or not it's a hit. He didn't seem to think it was. And I'm guessing because it didn't chart as high as, oh I dunno, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women - those number one singles or whatever...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:53

NICOS
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
David Bowie
No order for the next ones......
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Holly
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Kinks
FleedWood mac (Green)
Amy Winehouse Band
Nirvana
Motown

I forgot "Roxy Music"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 24, 2008 11:59

>If your message was meant to be a comment to mine, I need to say that we seem to speak quite different things here. First, I think no one denies The Stones a right to perform their classic songs. That's what people seem to demand from them, and that's what they mainly do: they have playing those songs for for decaded now, and I don't see no end. Nostalgy has huge markets nowadays, and The Stones sell their own branch of it. They present the legendary band from the 60's and 70's and their marvellous catalaog, and they do it well. I need to say that one needs to be a VERY BIG (and blinded by their excellence) Rolling Stones fan to deny the nature of their game. That's nothing worong there, being 'nostalgic' is not a crime or a shame (even though it is a word some people seem to have difficulties with).

>>My problem is that Stones fans seem to bitch about the fact that they play old songs, which they do BTW. I can't understand why Dylan should go free here. Even though he makes new arrangements, it's still old wine on new bottles. Out of all the live stuff I've heard from Dylan, only the Rolling Thunder Revue bootleg series release is something I could be pursuaded into hearing many times. I know I'm not a Dylan fan. I like some of it. I've tried and tried to like him, listening to many many CDs, but it never quite catches on for me. I guess I'm just not a very Dylan type of guy. His songs seem "easy". The lyrics are good for the most part, but the music seems..... Well "easy" is not a good word for it.... Maybe you understand my feelings towards his music, if I say that it seems, for a singer/songswriter type, "light".

>Secondly, as far as Dylan is concerned, there is - of course - a huge amount of nostalgy involved (and of course: with any artist with a career as long as magnifient as his). Dylan's fans - and many others - love to hear him playing the classics a'la "Like A Rolling Stone", "All Along The Watchtower", etc, and he does few of them in every concert. But that's not the whole story. There is that strange artistical remaking of himself, the desire to say something more. You say, there is nothing new in MODERN TIMES, and yeah, that is true, if one has knowledge only of LOVE & THEFT, and probably TIME OUT OF MIND. But that's about it. What Dylan has done with his last three albums - during last 10 years - is a remarkable new phase - that only briefly has some reminscants of his older phases. And this new phase has nothing to be be ashamed in compared to his older phases - the ones we all know as legendary - but quite contrary: he, and his new, mature, broken voice has won people to listen to him who in fact are not so fond of his past. Also, there are to be new numbers to be included into his classical songs from this new period (for example, this is not the case with The Stones since 1981). Songs like "Love Sick", "It's Not Dark Yet" or "Things Have Changed" are rated among his bests ever. Me, a dedicated Dylan fan, who lost his hope for his hero here in the early 90's, have been more than impressed for wittnessing the artistical revival of the guy.

>>It's not that I can't hear him trying. But to me it comes off like Might As Well Get Juiced does for The Stones on B2B. It's a decent effort, but it doesn't quite work.
BTW: Did you mean to say that The Stones don't have new songs in their set? That's not right. You know that.

>You seem to compare Dylan's creativity to Tom Waits and David Bowie. Being relevant does not mean that you should be some kind of cameleont: to remake yourself in every new album. That's nothing to do with being relevant (in the case of Bowie, I have sometimes the feeling that he is a slave of his own reputation; forced to do something stylistaically different every second year or something). Dylan is famous for his 'turns' but that's not the point. Whatever he does he seems to have a effect to people, and THAT's the symption of being relevant. Dylan seem to have still something to say to people... and not just giving imaginative trips to the good old days but sticking to this day. Mostly he talks to the people to his own generation, who are getting old, getting vulnerable, facing death and everything (and thereby showing the direction for us younger ones), and that's incredible. I have never seen no one taking rock and roll into that stage. That's nothing to do with peterpanism of some his colleaques...

>>Bowie does his changes to keep being relevant. He does it in a more theatrical way than Dylan, but it's the same thing nonetheless.

Anyway, I am at least as a big Stones fan as I am a Dylan one, and therefore I think I am in a good position to compare my heroes. I love them both dearly. Sorry to say, but The Stones haven't been musically relevant for a very long time. I think they somehow 'lost it' - their music doesn't touch or effect very greatly people and the times anymore - somwhere during the 80s's. They never quite survived that decade, I think. Of course, that doesn't mean that "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Start Me Up" is not a great song. It is, like "Hey Jude", or "Johnny B. Goode" is. But the world didn't stopped creativitywise in, say, 1965 or 1968 or 1981. People who create songs like "You Got Me Rocking" or "Rough Justice" do think, it did. The Stones sound like that they don't feel like that have anything more to add to their musical vocabulary and repertoire. And most likely no one really asks that from them either. It's all done decades ago. That's collective nostalgy.

>>Making a song like YGMR or RJ is just great I think. Do your thing. These songs are, to me, just as relevant as Live With Me is. Maybe even more so. Back then they made great songs, and today it's, for the most part, not as great. But the tracks that sticks out on A Bigger Bang are vital to an old act. Back then they were in the times and helped forming it. They aren't now and it's important to make songs that scream "WE ARE STILL HERE, AND WE'RE NOT GOING AWAY ANYTIME SOON". RJ and YGMR does just that.
I don't think that ANY of the old guys are relevant today. Including The Stones and Dylan. What moves in music today, as we speak, is Amy Winehouse, Timbaland and maybe Will.I.Am. That's what's RELEVANT today. The old guys don't hold a candle to the new guys at all (I wish this wasn't the case). Maybe we get a good review of Modern Times, A Bigger Bang and Chaos & Creation in the Backyard, but it all goes away in an instant. A sort of a quick burp from the old rock 'n rollers. Today one must be a fan to listen to music properly, while the likes of Timbaland and Gwen Stefani are left to please the masses. There was a time when good music went hand in hand with a pleased audience.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 25, 2008 05:58

BANDS:

Stones
Pink Floyd
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Kinks
The STONE ROSES (talk about defining a generation!)
Beatles
Grateful Dead
The Clash
Stray Cats (I dare you to say these guys do not friggin C-O-O-K!)

There are soooooooo many more that are soooooooooooooo good!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:10

I would kick Deep Purple in there, somewhere. Great band, and still on the road, even though their line up has changed radically since their prime.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: February 25, 2008 13:20

Is there anybody on this board who doesn't live only in the past. Guys, the 60s and 70s are gone, we write 2008!

Date: February 25, 2008 14:52

skipstone
Stinks was my own interpretation of what Mick said.

You 'interpreted' wrong, then

skipstone
He's the one that pointed out there were not hits on it. I'm assuming he meant something in the Top 10 or whatever - I guess his point being simply nothing that was #1.

Tumbling Dice was a top 5 hit in the UK and #7 in the US. Mick doesnt know his arse from his elbow when it comes to the Stones history anyway, and thats commonly accepted even by himself. Again, hits have nothing to do with quality.

skipstone
All 2 of them.

Uh, the Stones didnt issue more than 1 single from an album until 1971 (and even after that they only issued two in the US) until the late 70s, so its hardly surprising it didnt have many 'hits'.....

skipstone
Tumbling Dice wasn't a 'hit' in those regards (even though it's probably one of their all time best five songs). He said - I forget which book it's in, I guess the red one, that it's got a horrible mix, there are only a couple that can be played live (which he is obviously wrong about since I know they've played Sweet Virginia, Rocks Off, Rip This Joint, All Down The Line, Shine A Light, Happy and Loving Cup that I am aware of)
Exile has sold more than Who's Next? I really doubt that.

I never said it had. I said "It has sold more than many of the best albums by other great artists like Dylan, The Who, Neil Young, etc", which is certainly true...

skipstone
Sales figures for double albums are very misleading, how they go gold and platinum and all that. With the exception to the CD sales, you can easily figure HALF of what they sold amounts to actual people having a copy of it. A couple of million? As a double album, that's just a million copies. That's not exactly HUGE. How many copies of CD records they've sold since CDs came out would certainly be a bigger amount since it's only one record now. But something tells me it has yet to even sell 5 million copies. Success and definitive are different.

Thats funny, becaause earlier on you were equating greatness with record sales...

Date: February 25, 2008 18:36

hey Gazza - greatness compared to how their records have been hailed over the years by critics and...combining what Mick thinks. Like I simply said in terms regarding how Mick sees the success of a record - amount of sales. That would make Some Girls their GREATEST record ever. If you go by that way of looking at it.

How I feel about it is different. I think it's a crap way to view the success of an album. I'm the one that thinks Undercover and Goats Head Soup are fantastic albums. And so on...

My interpretation of what Mick thinks about Exile is, to me, just fine, within the ballpark, not verbatim but also not wrong, directly. From what I get about what Mick thinks of Exile is it could sound better and maybe have had less songs on it, which explains why he said what he said about it. That's what I get out of what he's said. I'm not saying he thinks the record sucks. I think he said somewhere that Between The Buttons wasn't very good at all or something along those lines. That it's their worst album in his eyes.

That's all I was simply going by, Mick's thoughts. Yeah he does have his head up his ass about what a hit is. But maybe that's what happens when you've had so many #1 singles and LPs etc... Shattered wasn't 'a hit' but it is, it's a huge song. Etc...What I think about Exile is not what Mick thinks. Sorry for the 'wrong interpretation' heh heh heh....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 25, 2008 20:27

Don't know if Blind faith is mentioned ? great too

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:17

Hi all.

For me:

ROLLING STONES
RAMONES
AC-DC
BEATLES
DOORS
WHO
LED ZEPPELIN
IRON MAIDEN
METALLICA
HENDRIX
CCR
TINA TURNER
FACES
PINK FLOYD
AEROSMITH
PEARL JAM
NIRVANA
THE CLASH
THE STOOGES

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:28

Bands only (in no order):

Velvets
Meters
Stones
James Brown & The JB's (many permutations, always superbad from 67-74)
The Clash
the Band
The Staples Singers
The Stooges
Booker T & The MGs
The Wailers (the REAL Wailers - before Peter & Bunny left)
Talking Heads
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Who
Sly & The Family Stone (of course)
Funkadelic

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:32

Too hard a task...

These gotta be in

Thin Lizzy
Deep Purple
Doors
Wailers
Four Tops
P Mobil
Dinamit
Gasolin'
Savage Rose
Hurriganes
Rolling Stones
Patti Smith Group
Sex Pistols
NY Dolls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-25 22:32 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:50

Patti Smith Group! You got me, Bro. Good call.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 25, 2008 22:56

Pink Floyd till -71/-72.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:50

the majority to date being incredibly boring and predictable. You all need to get out more.

How about

Eddie & the Hot Rods
Buzzcocks
Radiohead
Undertones
Leon Russell
Kursaal Flyers
10,000 Maniacs

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 26, 2008 06:19

The Skatalites

Posted by: chavostone ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:00

Gazza
skipstone
Dylan being nostalgic. What a load of crap.

I saw him at Jazz Fest in 1998. He was doing Tangled Up In Blue and Grayson and I just stood there and shook our heads for almost the entire song. ONE because the groove was exceptional and Recile was kickin' it and TWO it took us almost the entire song, ha ha, to figure out just what the fu*ck song he was doing!

F*u*c*k everyone that goes off on the nostalgic line of shit. You are the kind of people that grew up in malls. Grow a beard, climb a mountain, cut yourself by actually doing something, get some dirt under yer nails and grow up. You're not in the mall anymore.

LOL - brilliant

HAHA , YEAH , BRILLIANT

Posted by: chavostone ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:04

well , there are many bands i didnt ever heard of
but i think we all know which ones are the greatestwinking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home