Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: GREATEST BANDS OF ALL TIME
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 21, 2008 18:30

JumpingKentFlash
I don't know what the world is coming to, when a band like The Rolling Stones aren't allowed to play a kick-ass song like Jumping Jack Flash. I didn't go to my first concert in 1998 to see a nostalgy act. I went to see a great band that played great songs. And we all know that their best songs is from around 1968 to 1972 right? Should they just neglect all those songs? What happened a few months into the ABB Tour and they hadn't played Street Fighting Man a all? "Oh I miss SFM" and "Why don't they play that one" all over the place. People seem to like warhorses and why shouldn't they? They're great songs. It's like when Dave Grohl said that The Stones sucked because they still play Satisfaction. What a crock of shite. A good song is like wine. Not vinegar.
About Dylan: When he pulls out a song from his early days it's just as much a nostalgy trip as when The Stones play Brown Sugar. The fact that they just play their old song more than Dylan tends to with his, is another discussion. Artistifically relevant - Pfff. When I heard Modern Times I immediately thought: "Nothing new under the sun". I mean come on: It's not like he's Tom Waits that goes from Closing Time to Bone Machine, or David Bowie that goes from Oh You Pretty Things to Moss Garten. The Stones don't do this either, but they're at least great with what they do. I can live without hearing Dylan singing sheep songs for the umpteenth time - And then it doesn't matter if it's old or new.

*No pun intended to Dylan fans BTW*[/quote

If your message was meant to be a comment to mine, I need to say that we seem to speak quite different things here. First, I think no one denies The Stones a right to perform their classic songs. That's what people seem to demand from them, and that's what they mainly do: they have playing those songs for for decaded now, and I don't see no end. Nostalgy has huge markets nowadays, and The Stones sell their own branch of it. They present the legendary band from the 60's and 70's and their marvellous catalaog, and they do it well. I need to say that one needs to be a VERY BIG (and blinded by their excellence) Rolling Stones fan to deny the nature of their game. That's nothing worong there, being 'nostalgic' is not a crime or a shame (even though it is a word some people seem to have difficulties with).

Secondly, as far as Dylan is concerned, there is - of course - a huge amount of nostalgy involved (and of course: with any artist with a career as long as magnifient as his). Dylan's fans - and many others - love to hear him playing the classics a'la "Like A Rolling Stone", "All Along The Watchtower", etc, and he does few of them in every concert. But that's not the whole story. There is that strange artistical remaking of himself, the desire to say something more. You say, there is nothing new in MODERN TIMES, and yeah, that is true, if one has knowledge only of LOVE & THEFT, and probably TIME OUT OF MIND. But that's about it. What Dylan has done with his last three albums - during last 10 years - is a remarkable new phase - that only briefly has some reminscants of his older phases. And this new phase has nothing to be be ashamed in compared to his older phases - the ones we all know as legendary - but quite contrary: he, and his new, mature, broken voice has won people to listen to him who in fact are not so fond of his past. Also, there are to be new numbers to be included into his classical songs from this new period (for example, this is not the case with The Stones since 1981). Songs like "Love Sick", "It's Not Dark Yet" or "Things Have Changed" are rated among his bests ever. Me, a dedicated Dylan fan, who lost his hope for his hero here in the early 90's, have been more than impressed for wittnessing the artistical revival of the guy.

You seem to compare Dylan's creativity to Tom Waits and David Bowie. Being relevant does not mean that you should be some kind of cameleont: to remake yourself in every new album. That's nothing to do with being relevant (in the case of Bowie, I have sometimes the feeling that he is a slave of his own reputation; forced to do something stylistaically different every second year or something). Dylan is famous for his 'turns' but that's not the point. Whatever he does he seems to have a effect to people, and THAT's the symption of being relevant. Dylan seem to have still something to say to people... and not just giving imaginative trips to the good old days but sticking to this day. Mostly he talks to the people to his own generation, who are getting old, getting vulnerable, facing death and everything (and thereby showing the direction for us younger ones), and that's incredible. I have never seen no one taking rock and roll into that stage. That's nothing to do with peterpanism of some his colleaques...

Anyway, I am at least as a big Stones fan as I am a Dylan one, and therefore I think I am in a good position to compare my heroes. I love them both dearly. Sorry to say, but The Stones haven't been musically relevant for a very long time. I think they somehow 'lost it' - their music doesn't touch or effect very greatly people and the times anymore - somwhere during the 80s's. They never quite survived that decade, I think. Of course, that doesn't mean that "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Start Me Up" is not a great song. It is, like "Hey Jude", or "Johnny B. Goode" is. But the world didn't stopped creativitywise in, say, 1965 or 1968 or 1981. People who create songs like "You Got Me Rocking" or "Rough Justice" do think, it did. The Stones sound like that they don't feel like that have anything more to add to their musical vocabulary and repertoire. And most likely no one really asks that from them either. It's all done decades ago. That's collective nostalgy.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 18:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 21, 2008 18:40

I think if Dylan were to do something 'new (different)' you wouldn't like it. I love Time Out Of Mind. It's just a fresher approach. But it's still bluesy. It's still similar. It's still Bob Dylan. And he's got 90,000 other albums out anyway so fu*ck it.

Some people think A Bigger Bang stinks. Some love it. I do not care. I like it. It exists. It's not the 1960s, it's the Twenty Hundreds - if the Stones' relevance is tied up in songs from the 1960s then you will always be disappointed. And you might as well keep it to yourself because it changes nothing. They aren't heart surgeons, they are musicians. They do what they love to do. Fans liking it or not doesn't really seem to matter. Mick said it best - he never apologises.

Date: February 21, 2008 21:02

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Doors
Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Who
Cream
CCR
Grateful Dead

Honorable mention (all great just won't fit in my top 10 list):

Black Sabbath (w/Ozzy)
Lynryd Skynryd (Pre plane crash line up only)
Santana
Neil Young

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 21:27

Not in order of greatness:
1. The Rolling Stones
2. The Beatles
3. The Grateful Dead
4. Jefferson Airplane
5. The Byrds
6. The Young Rascals
7. The Allman Brothers Band
8. The Beach Boys
9. Sly And The Family Stone
10. The Kinks
11. The Lovin' Spoonful
12. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
13. Elvis Presley's original RCA band- Elvis, Scotty Moore, Bill Black, D.J. Fontana and Shorty Long
14. Creedence Clearwater Revival
15. The Atlantic Records Ray Charles Band
16. Booker T And The MGs
17. Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs
18. Paul Revere And The Raiders
19. The Wrecking Crew
20. The Motown House Band

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 21:52 by keithfan64.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2008 21:28

JumpingKentFlash
I mean come on: It's not like he's Tom Waits that goes from Closing Time to Bone Machine, or David Bowie that goes from Oh You Pretty Things to Moss Garten.

I'm surprised by this statement, Kent - you're speaking of Tom Waits and David Bowie from the early 70s; when those guys were in their 20s-30s. Bob Dylan have re-invented and developed himself as an artist, to a bigger extant than anybody else - through the years....and especially in the eras 1962-1969 and 1974-1980 - not to forget the late 90s. You mean he has to change his ways of expression completely at EVERY album, at the age of 65, to "compare with Bowie or Waits"?? That's totally absurd...
And; what's the point of changing ways of expression completely if you got something perfect as it is. Dylan is one of the few lucky artists with an audience who actually pay attention to what you would consider to be "details"...different nuances or moods; and most of all LYRICS...he don't need a lightshow, choir, drumbeats or other fully-bought changes to make people aware that something different is going on this time around

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 23:41 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 21, 2008 21:37

1, Rolling Stones
2. Eels

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 21, 2008 21:37

1. Rolling Stones.

10.E Street Band
11.Kinks
12.Who

Date: February 21, 2008 22:19

"I don't know what the world is coming to, when a band like The Rolling Stones aren't allowed to play a kick-ass song like Jumping Jack Flash."

Well actually it's I just wish they'd play it with enthusiasm instead of skating through it. When it came out it had dimension, movement, swagger, balls, an attitude. And it remained that way on the Let It Bleed tour. But it seems like after that they just started to fly through it on cruise control.

So it's great that they are playing it but it's just not very good. To me. They play Monkey Man with enthusiasm and quite close to the original, which to me is astounding. I know they change some tunes up from the LP versions, which is fine and usually a benefit. But when it's been neutered...it's a drag. Compare Street Fighting Man to JJFlash from the Licks tour - two completely different energies - one is fantastically on fire with the musical violence, tenacity and OOMPH with the spirit of the LP version while the other is by-the-numbers.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 21, 2008 23:38

With regard to the issue of relevancy in an artiste's senior years, I was fascinated to read an interview with Paul Weller a while back, in which he described how he never got into, or quite understood Dylan, until hearing his mid-nineties accoustic albums. It was only then that "the penny finally dropped", he said, describing them as "absolutely brilliant" and "the work of a true genius".

All things to all men etc., but that comment of Weller's always had me wondering whether the Stones really COULD, in recent years, have produced a really great killer album had they put their minds to it.

A brilliant oldies band they are/were, but latter-day artistic relevancy would have been such a bonus.

Still, it's all about money...isn't it? Or IS it?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 22, 2008 00:24

ablett
Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who
Led Zepplin
Jimi Hendrix Experience
James Brown and the JB's
The Clash
Black Sabbath
Queen
Fleetwood Mac
and certainly NOT the Cranberries....

Thank the Lord someone finally came up with a band from the punk era.Probably not technically but you've got to consider The Sex Pistols, Clash, Jam, Stranglers as great bands that defined a generation. Stateside too I'd include The Ramones amongst others.(Just noticed someone's already mentioned The Ramones).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-22 00:26 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 22, 2008 00:50

hendrix extremely overrated - as are the beatles

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 22, 2008 00:52

Hendrix, overrated....HA! I dont think so....Listen to "Hey, Baby", from New Rays of the Rising Sun...It dont get no better than that, except for Peter Green....

JR

Date: February 22, 2008 00:53

A lot of these bands are over rated. So are the individuals. Like NASCAR only without the fumes.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:49

The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
David Bowie
No order for the next ones......
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Holly
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Kinks
FleedWood mac (Green)
Amy Winehouse Band
Nirvana
Motown

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 22, 2008 03:05

aslecs

Thank God for aslecs, I don't need no EEG, CAT Scan, or MRI.... as long as my brain INSTANTLY recognizes that whatever he says is pure silliness (and totally not in the realm of "Reality") that's when I know my brain is working/firing at 100% and all is well. Thanks for keeping my world "Real" dude.... The day I agree with anything you say is the day I will have to call the "Brain Doctor" for all those tests.... smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2008 03:17

JumpingKentFlash
I don't know what the world is coming to, when a band like The Rolling Stones aren't allowed to play a kick-ass song like Jumping Jack Flash. I didn't go to my first concert in 1998 to see a nostalgy act. I went to see a great band that played great songs. And we all know that their best songs is from around 1968 to 1972 right? Should they just neglect all those songs? What happened a few months into the ABB Tour and they hadn't played Street Fighting Man a all? "Oh I miss SFM" and "Why don't they play that one" all over the place. People seem to like warhorses and why shouldn't they? They're great songs. It's like when Dave Grohl said that The Stones sucked because they still play Satisfaction. What a crock of shite. A good song is like wine. Not vinegar.
About Dylan: When he pulls out a song from his early days it's just as much a nostalgy trip as when The Stones play Brown Sugar. The fact that they just play their old song more than Dylan tends to with his, is another discussion. Artistifically relevant - Pfff. When I heard Modern Times I immediately thought: "Nothing new under the sun". I mean come on: It's not like he's Tom Waits that goes from Closing Time to Bone Machine, or David Bowie that goes from Oh You Pretty Things to Moss Garten. The Stones don't do this either, but they're at least great with what they do. I can live without hearing Dylan singing sheep songs for the umpteenth time - And then it doesn't matter if it's old or new.

*No pun intended to Dylan fans BTW*

Nonsense. You've clearly heard next to nothing of his work and seem oblivious to the way he recreates his songs as a performance art. How is it nostalgia when youre reinventing and completely rearranging songs from one year to the next? Pick any Dylan song from any 20 years during his career as a performing artist and it'll sound entirely different each year. If he was concerned about nostalgia, he'd be trying to merely recreate the records year in year out - or sticking to the same arrangement from one tour to the next.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-22 03:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:47

stones
acdc (bon scott period)
guns n roses (with steven adler)
dead kennedys
hendrix (experience)
bowie
turbonegro
gluecifer
hellacopters
amy winehouse
slayer

ups (thats 11, sorry)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:01

"of all time", guitarbastard??

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:10

Yawn - explain otherwise its utter nonscence!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:14

Many great bands listed here. I'd like to add:

T.Rex
Mott The Hoople
Slade
Clash
Jam
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Spiders From Mars

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:16

As usual noone dares to mention U2.. ?

Date: February 22, 2008 12:17

Bit of a glam fan?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:21

ablett
Bit of a glam fan?

It's all recycled Chuck Berry basically.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 22, 2008 13:21

stones! no doubt about it!

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: February 22, 2008 13:44

Mahavishnu orchestra
Gentle Giant
Frank Zappa
Brecker Brothers Band

Date: February 22, 2008 13:50

No mention of Wings or the Ono band then MT????

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:08

World's Greatest Pick-Up Band........

ROCKMAN

Date: February 22, 2008 18:45

Hey - I mentioned U2 as well as The Band.

Dylan being nostalgic. What a load of crap.

I saw him at Jazz Fest in 1998. He was doing Tangled Up In Blue and Grayson and I just stood there and shook our heads for almost the entire song. ONE because the groove was exceptional and Recile was kickin' it and TWO it took us almost the entire song, ha ha, to figure out just what the fu*ck song he was doing!

F*u*c*k everyone that goes off on the nostalgic line of shit. You are the kind of people that grew up in malls. Grow a beard, climb a mountain, cut yourself by actually doing something, get some dirt under yer nails and grow up. You're not in the mall anymore.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:46

Helter Skleter is #1 -- in what? In calling people names when they do not agree with him. So boring.

Stop 10 people in the street and ask them to name even 5 henrix songs.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:52

aslecs
Stop 10 people in the street and ask them to name even 5 henrix songs.

They'd say:
Purple Haze
Foxy Lady
Wild Thing
Hey Joe
Voodoo Chile

Who gives a crap about what 5 people in the street know, anyway...

"Stop 10 people in the street and ask them to name 5 songs of Exile ?"
or
"Stop 10 people in the street and ask them to name 5 songs by Muddy Waters?"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home