Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: David Bowie
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 13, 2010 14:44

Bowie a rip off the stones - crazy idea!!!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 13, 2010 16:18

BrianJones1969
Is it just me or did Bowie sort of rip off the Stones' "Miss You" with his 1983 #1 hit "Let's Dance" which was produced by Chic's Nile Rodgers and featured the late blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan (1954 - 1990)?

~Ben

It's just you.

Date: February 13, 2010 16:47

BrianJones1969
Is it just me or did Bowie sort of rip off the Stones' "Miss You" with his 1983 #1 hit "Let's Dance" which was produced by Chic's Nile Rodgers and featured the late blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan (1954 - 1990)?

~Ben

its just you. the 2 songs sound nothing alike

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 14, 2010 09:48

Ditto, nothing like Miss You. If anything Miss You is more like The Secret Life of Arabia...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 14, 2010 11:13

I played the secret life of arabia with my band, and i played guitar with a similar arrangment as Hot Stuff. I enjoyed a lot to play it.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 14, 2010 14:33

KeithNacho
This is one of the best. All my respect for his music, his person and his career.
The only thing i do not like of DB are the fans, and that ridiculous thing that he has invented everything before it happened. He has made all styles and fashions, that's all, and he has done it very very good. But he did't create R&R, dance music, electrinic music,...........all was precviously created.
I love the man

Sort of agree. He didn't create any of the styles he was exploring, but he bought the styles out to a mass audience and made it sound like he was the creator of them. Simply because his songwriting fitted perfectly to the sounds he bought. Kraftwerk and Iggy Pop, for example, has a lot to thank David Bowie for.
Furthermore, he has never claimed he was the creator of any musical style and has always amitted where he got his inspiration from.

Other than that, I have always enjoyed Bowie for his songwriting and his performance. He is one of the absolute best artists in rock and roll.
The styles and the "Ziggy-is-God-like"-thing is not that important to me.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 14, 2010 16:04

Bowie has been a fearful flyer for years. He got over it for a while, but reports are that he is again afflicted. I don't think we'll see another world tour.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 14, 2010 20:26

Palace Revolution 2000
BrianJones1969

~Ben

I think it is just you. Respectfully.

I've played and sung both songs for years (pre Powergoats). Different rhythm, different chord sequence, different melody, different lyrics obviously but no connection at all between the two really, different styles of singing in both cases... my question is how are these songs at all alike???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 15, 2010 09:40

Blueranger
KeithNacho
This is one of the best. All my respect for his music, his person and his career.
The only thing i do not like of DB are the fans, and that ridiculous thing that he has invented everything before it happened. He has made all styles and fashions, that's all, and he has done it very very good. But he did't create R&R, dance music, electrinic music,...........all was precviously created.
I love the man

Sort of agree. He didn't create any of the styles he was exploring, but he bought the styles out to a mass audience and made it sound like he was the creator of them. Simply because his songwriting fitted perfectly to the sounds he bought. Kraftwerk and Iggy Pop, for example, has a lot to thank David Bowie for.
Furthermore, he has never claimed he was the creator of any musical style and has always amitted where he got his inspiration from.

Other than that, I have always enjoyed Bowie for his songwriting and his performance. He is one of the absolute best artists in rock and roll.
The styles and the "Ziggy-is-God-like"-thing is not that important to me.

This is an ARTIST, maybe the besto one in rock music. I think Jagger wanted to be like him, free to do what he wants without the pressure of someone like KR. But MJ without KR is not Bowie..............

Posted by: turd ()
Date: February 15, 2010 10:34

In compiling his latest album of cover versions, 'Scratch my back', Peter Gabriel has this to say of David Bowie, Times interview 31st Jan 2010. [entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

One of Gabriel’s favourite choices to cover was David Bowie’s 1980 anthem Heroes. “Bowie didn’t want to play — Brian Eno says David is not very interested in music any more. But because Eno was the co-writer, and performed on the track, we got away with it.

Sounds like DB is well and trully out of the game - clearly his health issues have completely demotivated him.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 16, 2010 12:01

jamesfdouglas

I've played and sung both songs for years (pre Powergoats). Different rhythm, different chord sequence, different melody, different lyrics obviously but no connection at all between the two really, different styles of singing in both cases... my question is how are these songs at all alike???
The obvious R&B influences may have these two songs going for them.

~Ben

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 16, 2010 19:41

turd
In compiling his latest album of cover versions, 'Scratch my back', Peter Gabriel has this to say of David Bowie, Times interview 31st Jan 2010. [entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

One of Gabriel’s favourite choices to cover was David Bowie’s 1980 anthem Heroes. “Bowie didn’t want to play — Brian Eno says David is not very interested in music any more. But because Eno was the co-writer, and performed on the track, we got away with it.

Sounds like DB is well and trully out of the game - clearly his health issues have completely demotivated him.

That's a real shame. A new record would be nice.
Of the recent things Bowie was involved in; 'Bring Me The Disco King', the 'Extras' joke-song and his easy-listening version of 'Fantastic Voyage' at an award show some years ago, I got the impression that he was moving forward to a more piano-jazzed feeling. A jazz-like album from him could have been a nice thing. Sadly, now it looks like we have all but heard his last record sad smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 16, 2010 19:46

He should be considered for next year's Superbowl halftime show.

Date: February 16, 2010 19:56

Blueranger
turd

That's a real shame. A new record would be nice.
Of the recent things Bowie was involved in; 'Bring Me The Disco King', the 'Extras' joke-song and his easy-listening version of 'Fantastic Voyage' at an award show some years ago, I got the impression that he was moving forward to a more piano-jazzed feeling. A jazz-like album from him could have been a nice thing. Sadly, now it looks like we have all but heard his last record sad smiley

Shame it had to be 'Reality" too.

Date: February 17, 2010 03:19

Nikolai, remember re-listening to Reality?? Not half bad, and some really good stuff on it. I enjoyed it. I do hope though he has another on in him. I think he is pulling a Lennon and being a house husband for a while.
Nikolai have you picked up the new disc A Reality Tour? I haven't gotten it yet, I have the DVD, and I was very dissaponted by the sound, but the concert itself was fantastic! One of his best bands that he has toured with....I will get the CD when I go back to the States this summer. Also how about VH1 Story Tellers? That is very good too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 03:31 by whitem8.

Date: February 17, 2010 07:30

whitem8
Nikolai, remember re-listening to Reality?? Not half bad, and some really good stuff on it. I enjoyed it. I do hope though he has another on in him. I think he is pulling a Lennon and being a house husband for a while.
Nikolai have you picked up the new disc A Reality Tour? I haven't gotten it yet, I have the DVD, and I was very dissaponted by the sound, but the concert itself was fantastic! One of his best bands that he has toured with....I will get the CD when I go back to the States this summer. Also how about VH1 Story Tellers? That is very good too!

Ah, the voice of Bowie conscience speaks up again ... grinning smiley

It was thanks to you I listened to Reality with fresh ears, senor. It's Bowie's Dirty Work to me - half good (but not quite great), half throwaway/tour afterthought.

I really don't think he's 'pulling a Lennon' you know? I think his touring days are over because of the heart scare (and who can blame him?). He also voiced his deep dissatisfaction with the way the music business was going, when asked about a new album.

The Reality live album is very very good.

Not sure if that Station to Station reissue is going to happen this year. given EMI's well-publicised (but predictable, given its current owners) loss.

Date: February 17, 2010 07:38

Ok,glad to hear you like the A Reality Tour album. I haven't picked it up yet. I will order it on Amazon today! Reality his Dirty Work?? Hmmmm. Actually, I think Never Let Me Down is his dirty work.
Man I am really looking forward to the Station to Station re-release. That is one of my favorite Bowie discs! The live bonus disc will be great too, although I do have the boot, Suffragette City, and the re-release edits a few of the songs from what I read. The drum solo is shortened, doesn't bother me music wise, but historical completist side is a bit irked by tampering with history.

Yeah, you are probably right, his touring days are over, ashame, but I would fly quite a distance to see him again! I loved his Reality show in Singapore. I have been pestering Geoff MacCormack about the Thin White Duke, but he hasn't replied to my last few emails. Maybe I will try to visit him in London one summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-17 07:52 by whitem8.

Date: February 17, 2010 16:54

whitem8
Ok,glad to hear you like the A Reality Tour album. I haven't picked it up yet. I will order it on Amazon today! Reality his Dirty Work?? Hmmmm. Actually, I think Never Let Me Down is his dirty work.
Man I am really looking forward to the Station to Station re-release. That is one of my favorite Bowie discs! The live bonus disc will be great too, although I do have the boot, Suffragette City, and the re-release edits a few of the songs from what I read. The drum solo is shortened, doesn't bother me music wise, but historical completist side is a bit irked by tampering with history.

Yeah, you are probably right, his touring days are over, ashame, but I would fly quite a distance to see him again! I loved his Reality show in Singapore. I have been pestering Geoff MacCormack about the Thin White Duke, but he hasn't replied to my last few emails. Maybe I will try to visit him in London one summer.

I loved your Singapore story. That was just great.

The Reality Live album sounds very very good. Properly mixed for CD.

Never Let Me Down and Tonight I consider his Bridges to Babylon - both pretty shite, give or take the odd gem. Reality's a mixed bag.

It is a dreadful shame that he seems to have put his career on hold like this. I suspect he's still writing and stockpiling material, waiting for the right moment/climate to release it.

As for Station to Station - yes, the drum solo has apparently been edited down to little over a minute, but did you really listen to it the whole way through or just hit the fastforward button? When I did some friends CD copies of the best of the '76 tour boots, I edited most of the drum solo out using Nero. One of my friends - who's a jazz drummer - didn't even notice.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 01:49

Reality compared to Dirty Work? Dirty Work is a disjointed pieced together piece of crap by a band who had lost interest in being a band. Reality is a great album, very cohesive and reflecting on the parts of the world post-9/11. The tour supporting it was great. I got to see the Reality Tour in a 20,000 seat arena in Toronto as well and a 3,200 seat Theatre in Buffalo. Two great shows with very different set lists and performances by the talented band. Toronto was more 'hits' oriented....Buffalo more deep cuts and experimentation on stage. Bowie was in fine spirits and had great interplay with both audiences. Frankly better shows than I have seen the Stones play in 15 yrs.

Unfortunately his heart problems sound like they are bringing him to a much slower schedule, where he is content to issue live stuff, both current (Reality) and from the vaults (Santa Monica). But I'd rather have him doing that than going out on tour and not living up to the reputation, just milking his career, as the Stones have done.

Date: February 18, 2010 02:01

Oh dear Nikolai:-)
I much prefer Bridges to Babylon to Never Let Me Down. Tonight, I am not as hard on...some interesting things on it and his voice is amazing on it. But I agree with Buffalo I like Reality and don't fint it disjointed. Really some great stuff on it! New Killer Star would fit nicely on Low. Looking for Water has a great propulsive beat with some interesting vocals. Fall Dog Bombs the Moon is stellar! Great slicing of Bush and his croanies. Lonliest Guy is a wonderfully haunting reflection on aging and life as an introvert. Bowie's alter ego. Bring Me the Disco King is a great sleezy smoke filled ballad ala Brecht. Also, the Japanese version has a great version of Waterloo Sunset. And a bonus DVD with the entire album done live in a small club. Great stuff!
Yeah, Nikolai I don't ever listen to the entire drum solo...but I get antsy when history is tampered with, like Let it Be Naked, which I also liked, but part of me had that historical revulsion of revisionism.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 18, 2010 04:50

Chris Fountain
He should be considered for next year's Superbowl halftime show.

thumbs up Good call!!

Date: February 18, 2010 11:01

whitem8
I much prefer Bridges to Babylon to Never Let Me Down. Tonight, I am not as hard on...some interesting things on it and his voice is amazing on it. But I agree with Buffalo I like Reality and don't fint it disjointed. Really some great stuff on it! New Killer Star would fit nicely on Low. Looking for Water has a great propulsive beat with some interesting vocals. Fall Dog Bombs the Moon is stellar! Great slicing of Bush and his croanies. Lonliest Guy is a wonderfully haunting reflection on aging and life as an introvert. Bowie's alter ego. Bring Me the Disco King is a great sleezy smoke filled ballad ala Brecht. Also, the Japanese version has a great version of Waterloo Sunset. And a bonus DVD with the entire album done live in a small club. Great stuff!
Yeah, Nikolai I don't ever listen to the entire drum solo...but I get antsy when history is tampered with, like Let it Be Naked, which I also liked, but part of me had that historical revulsion of revisionism.

Oh, alright ...grinning smiley

I actually prefer Never Let Me Down to Bridges to Babylon. Seriously. Not that I've listened to either album the whole way through in over ten years.

See what you mean about history being tampered with, but I think they shortened the solo to make the whole thing fit onto a single CD.

Let It Be Naked was crap. I prefer the Spector version.

Date: February 18, 2010 16:23

You sir are of such low class and education I am surprised you even know how to breath. Numberonestones fan you bring shame on yourself.

Date: February 18, 2010 16:30

Nikolai
whitem8

I actually prefer Never Let Me Down to Bridges to Babylon. Seriously. Not that I've listened to either album the whole way through in over ten years.

See what you mean about history being tampered with, but I think they shortened the solo to make the whole thing fit onto a single CD.

I actually like them both. I like the underproduced and garage feel of Naked, and like some of the wall of sound mixes on Let it Be, but Specter really did butcher The Long and Winding Road and Across the Universe.
Yeah I am sure you are right about the motives behind cutting the drum solo, so I do understand, but why not release a three cd set with a few more outtakes and a DVD with him on Dina Shore, and the rehearsal stuff that was filmed. Some of that material is very interesting. His version of Stay on Dina Shore is fantastic! and why not throw in some of the Iggy he with with Bowie on Dina as well. Now that would be a great anniversary edition!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 18, 2010 16:31

Bowie's fine.
No more health scares after his heart surgery. He's concentrating on being a dad, because he didn't have much time to be a great dad for his son in the early 70s.
And NumberOneStonesFan - I thought people with your antique prejudice didn't exist any more. Unfortunately I was wrong.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 18, 2010 17:05

Date: February 18, 2010 19:02

ok, so I am low class...nothing new there... Bowie's cool, I always enjoyed his music and I'm not prejudiced at all...just making a Bowie joke! Bowie rocks!

smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2010 22:15

whitem8
Nikolai
whitem8

I actually like them both. I like the underproduced and garage feel of Naked, and like some of the wall of sound mixes on Let it Be, but Specter really did butcher The Long and Winding Road and Across the Universe.
Yeah I am sure you are right about the motives behind cutting the drum solo, so I do understand, but why not release a three cd set with a few more outtakes and a DVD with him on Dina Shore, and the rehearsal stuff that was filmed. Some of that material is very interesting. His version of Stay on Dina Shore is fantastic! and why not throw in some of the Iggy he with with Bowie on Dina as well. Now that would be a great anniversary edition!

Of course, your suggestions would be the way to go. But this is EMI we're talking about ... and Bowie himself. Bowie could choose the STS reissue to put out the aborted Man Who Fell To Earth soundtrack (the missing link between Station and Low) as a bonus, as well as the stuff you've mentioned.

Let It Be isn't my favourite Beatles album. I used to have a couple of Get Back bootlegs and actually prefer those to ... Naked. Naked sounded flat and lifeless to me.

You mentioned Iggy ... Do you know Lust For Life and The Idiot have been remastered and reissued on vinyl on the 4MenWithBeards label? The label released PIL's Metal Box on vinyl a few years ago.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 22:27

If you dig Bowie you will love this, a gem smiling smiley

[www.guitars101.com]

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 18, 2010 22:30

Are you sure those Iggy releases on 4 men with beards are remastered? I heard they are just repressings?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home