Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 27
Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 6, 2008 16:26

Chuck Berry preparing for tonights Goldene Kamera awards.
Robert De Niro and others are in town...
[www.goldenekamera.de]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 6, 2008 16:26

Kent, I know that is diffucult for us Continentals to understand what is going on over there on those isles somewhere far away in Atlantic Ocean, not to mention how they happen to define or call themselves.... but I give it a try. I think you confused geographical notions with political ones. 'British Isles' covers both Great-Britain (that's a name of an island) and Ireland (plus all the minor isles), even though I have heard that it is nowadays controversial to use this term. United Kingdom is a name of a common wealth (country) that consists of those funny people who habitate those isles expect that of most of Ireland. These people are called simply 'Brits' (The English, the Scottish, the Northern Irish or the Gazzas, etc - all the rest expect the Irish citizens). The Brits are important because they brought us football, Monty Python, The Rolling Stones, and Real Ale.

- Doxa

Date: February 6, 2008 17:05

These people are called simply 'Brits' (The English, the Scottish, the Northern Irish or the Gazzas, etc - all the rest expect the Irish citizens). The Brits are important because they brought us football, Monty Python, The Rolling Stones, and Real Ale.

don't forget the welsh. (Wales)
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 17:10 by open-g.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2008 17:32

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
iamthedj
When would you guess the film will be released on DVD. As I live in Ireland, it will probably not get a cinema release here. It would be a perfect Christmas present, to myself.

I would think that it comes out sometime before christmas. Could be October or November or something like that.

I think you could get it in Irish theaters. This is from IMdb:

Country Date
Germany 7 February 2008 (Berlin International Film Festival)
Germany 4 April 2008
Iceland 4 April 2008
USA 4 April 2008
Netherlands 10 April 2008
UK 11 April 2008
France 16 April 2008
Finland 18 April 2008
Australia 24 April 2008
Belgium 28 May 2008

It says UK 11 April. Ireland is in the UK. So start saving money for it my man. grinning smiley

You're telling someone from Ireland that hes living in the UK? drinking smiley

Not unless your time machine has taken you back 87 years.....

Ireland isn't in the UK? My knowledge seems to have holes. Enlighten me please. Isn't UK the all the isles in that area? Britannia = UK?

As Spud points out, the bit in the north where I live (you know - the country that beat Denmark at football recently) is in the UK. The rest of the island (where Iamthedj happens to live) isn't. They left the UK after 1921.

The 'British Isles' refers to both islands in their totality, maybe thats what you mean - however thats just a geographical term, as it covers two sovereign states, namely ; The United Kingdom (or the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to give it it's full title) and the Republic of Ireland.

Hope that helps. Now, back to SAL and the Stones.

Date: February 6, 2008 17:35

TooTough
Will anyone be there?

122 minutes (!)
Opening Ceremony
Shine A Light | Shine A Light

D: Martin Scorsese USA 2008
English
out of competition
Thu Feb 07 19:00 Berlinale Palast (D)

122 minutes? Quite lengthy for a concert film. Excellent news!

As said earlier, the premiere is for invited guests and press only. Not for the public.

Believe me - I tried!

Date: February 6, 2008 17:43

I wonder if Chuck Berry and Robert De Niro are invited & going

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 6, 2008 19:57

Stones Shine A Light To Premiere At SxSW
by Paul Cashmere - February 6 2008

The Martin Scorsese directed Rolling Stones movie 'Shine A Light' will have its North American premiere at the SxSW Film Festival in Austin in March.

SxSW holds its Film Festival in the week leading up to the music conference.
Scorese captured the Stones in concert during an intimate performance at The Beacon Theatre in New York for Bill Clinton's 60th birthday party in 2006.
The renowned film-maker had previously created 'No Direction Home: Bob Dylan".
The movie features the former US president as well as Christina Aguilera, Jack White and Buddy Guy.
The first public screening of the movie will be at the Berlin Film Festival later this week.

[www.undercover.com.au]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 6, 2008 20:59

open-g
Chuck Berry preparing for tonights Goldene Kamera awards.
Robert De Niro and others are in town...
[www.goldenekamera.de]

Cool! Easy to spot Chuck with that captain's hat.

Hope he realizes that this isn't a show to just throw away. The venue seems better than what he's played in recent years...hope he steps up and delivers a good show!

Date: February 6, 2008 21:41

Keith arrived in Berlin early enough to catch that ceremony - I wonder if he did?

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 6, 2008 21:42

Would be cool..checking other artists.
But actually that is Mick's job.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 6, 2008 22:16

but tangling with Chuck is Keith's job.
seems like Keith flew in with Scorsese from the US, while the others are coming from elsewhere,
but if he did go see Chuck i hope he didn't get hurt this time!
if he did, Chuck will apologise later to Ronnie :E

Date: February 6, 2008 22:20

Keith & Marty arrived at the small City airport Tempelhof - makes me wonder where they came from or how far can a lear-jet take ya?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 6, 2008 22:20

open-g
These people are called simply 'Brits' (The English, the Scottish, the Northern Irish or the Gazzas, etc - all the rest expect the Irish citizens). The Brits are important because they brought us football, Monty Python, The Rolling Stones, and Real Ale.

don't forget the welsh. (Wales)
[en.wikipedia.org]

Surely not! The welsh were included in "etc." smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: February 6, 2008 22:32

Only cinema tickets but ........

[cgi.ebay.de]

[cgi.ebay.de]

[cgi.ebay.de]

end result maybe interesting .............

new article

[www.welt.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 22:53 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: February 6, 2008 22:35

Everyone that's going to Berlin have a fabulous time, can't wait for the reviews! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: February 6, 2008 22:49

Hey Beast and Pauly - Happy New Year and congrats on getting to Berlin!

Hope to see you guys again at the next live show.... Sarah

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 6, 2008 23:02

hi sarah - thanks and belated happy new year to you, too! we'll definitely see you at one of those...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 6, 2008 23:04

Highest bid for one of those tix on e-bay is currently 350 euros - that's nuts!!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 7, 2008 00:41

Beast
Highest bid for one of those tix on e-bay is currently 350 euros - that's nuts!!!

350 euros ???? I'm bloody speechless .......... !!

Date: February 7, 2008 01:39

Turd On The Run
Several points:

1. This is the reply I received from the Berlinale;
"As opening film of this year's Berlinale the premiere of "Shine a Light" (7 p.m., Berlinale Palast) is reserved to invited guests. Unfortunately, our contingent of invitations is already depleted. There will take place, though, a second screening open to the public that same evening at 9 p.m., Zoopalast. Tickets will be available in advance sale - online or at Potsdamer Platz Arkaden - from tomorrow on."

2. Beast...thank you for the tip on Darkstars' story. I just read it and it is interesting. I'm a director myself and I just don't buy his theory that it was the ONLY way to do it. Not at all. This is a parallel argument to ablett's claim that "Well, you can either have the front row full of top notch totty (bound to perk the band up?) OR 3 rows of balding beer bellies all wearing either the IORR shirt or those fetching day glo green numbers?". Both are bogus arguments.

First of all...I've been to many Stones concerts in the last tour(s) and at several I was front row or near the front. The crowd was aways a glorious mix of young and old and everything in between. Some "balding with beer bellies" but lots of attractive younger fans equally as devoted and excited. In my opinion, this is a wonderful and unique blending of the generations and an ode to the power of music in general - and this band in particular - to bring people of disparate backgrounds and ages together in a communion of bliss and exhilaration. The Stones are almost singular in their power to do this. As a director, why would you NOT show this marvelous mix of generations? Why would you NOT tap into this unique feature of the band's appeal? Why would you opt for the artifice of a paid audience of mannequins and actors to populate the area where usually the most dedicated and REPRESENTATIVE and INTERESTING mix of Stones fans (at a GA show, of course, as were the Beacon shows) stand? The fundamental dishonesty of such a decision is an elemental misreading of what makes the Rolling Stones interesting in 2008.

Which leads me to the comments from Darkstar that this was the only way to film the Stones due to the demands of the camera work. Wrong. Through a lottery you make clear to the people (real fans - that also could be 'chosen' and 'cast') in the front that there will be vigorous camera movements that require their full cooperation and concentration. 98.5% of the fans would be proud and thrilled to partake in this venture and would be flexible enough to accommodate any required shifting and moving. That I can guarantee you. And you would get the added benefit of people knowing how special it is and how privileged they are to stand in front of the Stones in such a setting and be regaled with songs such as Shine A Light or Faraway Eyes...and you wouldn't have to cue them...or remind them that these songs are hidden classics...or having them look at each other and wonder if it is time to pretend to know the song and feign enthusiasm.

Furthermore, the basic premise of a Stones concert whose front rows are populated almost exclusively by beautiful young people not only robs the Stones of the honesty and love they have for AND from their fans, it opens them to ridicule of the most needless kind.

3. Great thanks to Rocky Dijon for his set lists. I hope they release a double-disk soundtrack CD...a single disk would be a disservice to fans.

4. I disagree with Gazza...L&G is a really fine film...it is pure, distilled Rolling Stones stage prowess. A great, unalloyed document of the Stones stripped down to what matters. The music. Future generations will be able to watch it and understand why The Stones are called the Greatest Rock and Roll band. And viewing @#$%& Blues in conjunction to L&G gives the real fan a perfect 360° view of the greatest rock tour of all time.

I dont recall saying it WASNT a fine film. I said that it shouldnt be too difficult a task to make SAL the best Stones film SINCE L&G - (because the editing on LSTNT and At The Max left a lot to be desired, even if both films were visually spectacular)

Youre absolutely correct in what you say about the hiring of 'fans'.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 7, 2008 06:35

congrats to beast, paulywaul, and open-g for getting the berlin tix!

gazza, i know there was a contest with the DVD sales and a pair of SAL NYC premier tickets - i missed the deadline for purchase. did the contest happen and is someone going to the NYC premier?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 7, 2008 08:32

It would appear that the American premier is in Austin in March. New York City seems to be just another American city where it will play beginning April 4.

I went to the film festival website and I could not find (though after a cursory look) where the Stones were even mentioned - someone please correct me.

Also unknown is whether the Stones themselves will be there -- any info or thoughts??

p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-07 08:34 by timbernardis.

Date: February 7, 2008 09:52

austin?? what did i miss? what date?

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: February 7, 2008 10:02

I attended a Grammy week event in Los Angeles tonight (Feb 6) which featured John Fogerty and Jerry Lee Lewis, amongst others, performing live. I was a little surprised to see Steve Bing standing to the side of the theater to watch Jerry Lee's 2 song set, as I assumed he would be in Berlin for the Shine A Light premiere as a producer of the movie. While this was happening, it was a little after 5am on Feb 7 in Berlin, so Bing still had a slim chance to make it to the premiere on time if he left for a flight immediately after the Lewis performance. I'll be interested to see if he does end up there.

Date: February 7, 2008 10:36

maybe i hallucinated this but i think i heard a commercial with a stones tune involving the grammies. i know they're doing a look at the past and there will be a beatles thing, maybe a stone or two will come to bing?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 7, 2008 10:45

It's MOVIE day !!!! I'm outa here (home that is) .. Berlin here we come. open-g, sssoul, Piotr ....... see ya soon and see ya there. Beast, see ya at LHR T1 shortly. I'll be easy to recognise, I'll be grinning like a Cheshire puddy tat and probably leaping around in that "Keith gets it right meets Pete Townshend doin' a windmill" kinda vein ... if ya know wot ah mean !!

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

God I'm so excited I could ... (make up something VERY VERY exciting and insert between brackets)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 7, 2008 10:47

Remember to drink Berliner Kindl, Pauly. Very tasty beer.
Fine Indian restaurants & Döner fast food in Neukölln.

Date: February 7, 2008 11:16

i wanna go to berlin too!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 7, 2008 11:26

little queenie
austin?? what did i miss? what date?

[www.undercover.com.au]

Date: February 7, 2008 11:47

timbernardis
It would appear that the American premier is in Austin in March. New York City seems to be just another American city where it will play beginning April 4.

I went to the film festival website and I could not find (though after a cursory look) where the Stones were even mentioned - someone please correct me.
p

thanks tim and erikjjf,

i found mention of it in the schedule but no specific showing date
[2008.sxsw.com]

hmmm,,,i'm hoping to be in san antonio in mid-march - not far from austin...

but what about the ultrastar deal with rocks off and other sites that sold the DVD - the winner gets two tickets to just a regular showing in NYC? another empty michael cohl promise?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home