Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 27
Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 4, 2008 08:40

I'll try to go to Berlin for this and somehow score a ticket...it sounds like it will be a phenomenal event.

I was disappointed - actually disgusted - by the reports of hired mannequins and the overall phoniness of the front rows at the Beacon shows...but the music is the thing, after all.

If Scorsese captured the essence of the Stones on stage then the rest is but an annoyance that can be overlooked.

Scorsese and the best crew money can buy filming the greatest rock and roll band in history...the chemical reaction should be sensational.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 4, 2008 10:53

Turd On The Run
I'll try to go to Berlin for this and somehow score a ticket...it sounds like it will be a phenomenal event.

I was disappointed - actually disgusted - by the reports of hired mannequins and the overall phoniness of the front rows at the Beacon shows...but the music is the thing, after all.

If Scorsese captured the essence of the Stones on stage then the rest is but an annoyance that can be overlooked.

Scorsese and the best crew money can buy filming the greatest rock and roll band in history...the chemical reaction should be sensational.

<<< I was disappointed - actually disgusted - by the reports of hired mannequins and the overall phoniness of the front rows at the Beacon shows...but the music is the thing, after all. If Scorsese captured the essence of the Stones on stage then the rest is but an annoyance that can be overlooked. >>>

I think those sentiments are shared by a lot of people. Hopefully you're right, the focus will have been almost entirely on the music/the band, and not the handful of pretty dolls in the front rows. If that's the case, then the "hired mannequin" issue kind of just fades into irrelevance. Personally, I just often reflect on my sheer good fortune of being a Stones fan, as compared to a fan of any number of other bands. They're STILL here, they're STILL rolling, and to cap it all ... GREAT film directors are making (what will hopefully but pretty surely be) GREAT movies/documentaries about them. As far as I'm concerned, after the length of time the Stones have been in business, every day of their continued existence is near enough a cause for celebration.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 4, 2008 11:41

Turd - have you read Darkstar's story on p. 4 of this thread? Seems it may have been realized (too late) that it was not the best move. I don't think they'll be getting too much of a look-in on the film.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 4, 2008 12:33

Turd On The Run

I think they've just done about everything to get the best possible out of our Mick... ;-) An indication for this is the story that Scorsese edited out some of the models afterwards...

Jelle

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 4, 2008 12:50

"actually disgusted - by the reports of hired mannequins and the overall phoniness of the front rows"

Well, you can either have the front row full of top notch totty (bound to perk the band up?) OR 3 rows of balding beer bellies all wearing either the IORR shirt or those fetching day glo green numbers?

I know which Jagger would chose......

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 4, 2008 15:52

German TV 3SAT will be covering the Berlinale opening live on tv.
on thursday at 19:20 h
[www.3sat.de]

Donnerstag, den 07.02.2008

19:20 Uhr

Stereo
Bildformat 16:9
Live aus dem Berlinale Palast

Berlinale 2008 - Die Eröffnung

Moderation: Katrin Bauerfeind
Mit Katrin Bauerfeind, Wir sind Helden u.a.

Im Februar wird Berlin erneut zum Mittelpunkt des Internationalen Films: Die 58. Internationalen Filmfestspiele rollen vom 7. bis zum 17. Februar den roten Teppich vor dem Berlinale Palast aus. Ein internationales Publikum ist gespannt zu sehen, wasder Film an Neuem zu bieten hat. 3sat überträgt dieses Ereignis exklusiv und live. Im Rahmen einer festlichen Gala, moderiert von Katrin Bauerfeind, eröffnet Berlinale-Chef Dieter Kosslick eines der größten Publikumsfestivals der Welt. Für die musikalischen Akzente des Galaprogramms sorgen Wir sind Helden. Bevor die Berlinale eröffnet wird, steht das "Kulturzeit"-Berlinale-Team auf dem roten Teppich und erwartet die geladene Prominenz. Kurze Magazinbeiträge geben einen ersten Ausblick auf Filme des Festivals. Berichtet wird auch vom Eröffnungsfilm der Berlinale. Im Anschluss erwartet das "Kulturzeit"-Berlinale-Team die Gäste der Eröffnungsgala zum Gespräch. Gefragt sind Tipps, wer zu den Favoriten für die Bären 2008 gehört.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:33

Between the trailer and the Daily Mail's review, we know 10 songs that are in the film and on Interscope's soundtrack album:

JJF
Loving Cup [w/ Jack White]
As Tears Go By
Just My Imagination
Champagne and Reefer [w/ Buddy Guy]
You Got the Silver
SFTD
Live with Me [w/Christine Aguilera]
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar

It will be interesting to see what else makes the film and what the content is on the Japanese two-disc special edition CD.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:28

I'm getting senile in my old age. Cousin Lou posted the track listing after attending the test screening. Not everything could fit on Interscope's single disc release, but hopefully the two disc will be the full soundtrack.

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Shattered
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down the Line
5. Loving Cup [w/ Jack White]
6. Just My Imagination
7. Far Away Eyes
8. As Tears Go By
9. Some Girls
10.Champagne and Reefer [w/ Buddy Guy]
11.Tumbling Dice
12.You Got the Silver
13.Connection [severely edited in the film]
14.Sympathy For the Devil
15.Live with Me [w/ Christine Aguilera]
16.Start Me Up
17.Brown Sugar
18.Satisfaction
19.Shine a Light [plays over closing credits]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 4, 2008 19:07

Thanks, Rocky D, for reposting Cousin Lou's list, as best he could remember, he said. I forgot about that thread.

One other point on the film--there was overdubbing of the crowd noise, with volunteer "voice" extras for two days in LA. I had thought the audience on the second night was very loud and enthusiastic throughout the show, but apparently it didn't "read" well enough.

Pauly and others, I'm wishing you the best experience at the film in a few days in Berlin!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 4, 2008 20:52

Several points:

1. This is the reply I received from the Berlinale;
"As opening film of this year's Berlinale the premiere of "Shine a Light" (7 p.m., Berlinale Palast) is reserved to invited guests. Unfortunately, our contingent of invitations is already depleted. There will take place, though, a second screening open to the public that same evening at 9 p.m., Zoopalast. Tickets will be available in advance sale - online or at Potsdamer Platz Arkaden - from tomorrow on."

2. Beast...thank you for the tip on Darkstars' story. I just read it and it is interesting. I'm a director myself and I just don't buy his theory that it was the ONLY way to do it. Not at all. This is a parallel argument to ablett's claim that "Well, you can either have the front row full of top notch totty (bound to perk the band up?) OR 3 rows of balding beer bellies all wearing either the IORR shirt or those fetching day glo green numbers?". Both are bogus arguments.

First of all...I've been to many Stones concerts in the last tour(s) and at several I was front row or near the front. The crowd was aways a glorious mix of young and old and everything in between. Some "balding with beer bellies" but lots of attractive younger fans equally as devoted and excited. In my opinion, this is a wonderful and unique blending of the generations and an ode to the power of music in general - and this band in particular - to bring people of disparate backgrounds and ages together in a communion of bliss and exhilaration. The Stones are almost singular in their power to do this. As a director, why would you NOT show this marvelous mix of generations? Why would you NOT tap into this unique feature of the band's appeal? Why would you opt for the artifice of a paid audience of mannequins and actors to populate the area where usually the most dedicated and REPRESENTATIVE and INTERESTING mix of Stones fans (at a GA show, of course, as were the Beacon shows) stand? The fundamental dishonesty of such a decision is an elemental misreading of what makes the Rolling Stones interesting in 2008.

Which leads me to the comments from Darkstar that this was the only way to film the Stones due to the demands of the camera work. Wrong. Through a lottery you make clear to the people (real fans - that also could be 'chosen' and 'cast') in the front that there will be vigorous camera movements that require their full cooperation and concentration. 98.5% of the fans would be proud and thrilled to partake in this venture and would be flexible enough to accommodate any required shifting and moving. That I can guarantee you. And you would get the added benefit of people knowing how special it is and how privileged they are to stand in front of the Stones in such a setting and be regaled with songs such as Shine A Light or Faraway Eyes...and you wouldn't have to cue them...or remind them that these songs are hidden classics...or having them look at each other and wonder if it is time to pretend to know the song and feign enthusiasm.

Furthermore, the basic premise of a Stones concert whose front rows are populated almost exclusively by beautiful young people not only robs the Stones of the honesty and love they have for AND from their fans, it opens them to ridicule of the most needless kind.

3. Great thanks to Rocky Dijon for his set lists. I hope they release a double-disk soundtrack CD...a single disk would be a disservice to fans.

4. I disagree with Gazza...L&G is a really fine film...it is pure, distilled Rolling Stones stage prowess. A great, unalloyed document of the Stones stripped down to what matters. The music. Future generations will be able to watch it and understand why The Stones are called the Greatest Rock and Roll band. And viewing @#$%& Blues in conjunction to L&G gives the real fan a perfect 360° view of the greatest rock tour of all time.

Date: February 4, 2008 21:47

ONE HUNDRED PER CENT agreed, Turd! Well said.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2008 21:55

darkstar212
I was hired as an extra. I was lucky enough to see both shows. The first night there were four seats front row in front of Keith. I was lucky enough to get one of those! One of my greatest concert experiences ever. Caught his pic after Satisfaction. The second night they removed the seats to give it a more vibrant GA feel. I know the stink that erupted about the extras being actors and non-fans. Well there were some of those around for sure. I remember night two when I was standing next to two good looking guy models and one said to the other, "Do you know any Rolling Stones songs? The other pretty boy replied, "I think like one." Very sad, but believe me many a Stones fan was able to get hired as extras as well. It wasn't all non-fans. I met many cool people who were big fans of either the Stones or rock and roll. The stink that erupted about extras not being fans was way overblown. Also, this was a special situation and special event. They had no choise but to have hired people up close. It was crazy with all the cameras and changing film and boom cameras. You had to have people working as actors in case they needed you to move or for liability reasons. Maybe not fair to all real fans, but sadly, if you were there, you would realize thats the only way to film something like they did. I hope people get over this negative attitude over that whole situation and realize it was done for a real reason and **absolutely no way of doing it overwise.** Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. That simply was the case. Don't complain about some small concessions and be happy with the overall project!!

About three months after the shows, I just happened to start dating Martin Scorsese's personal assistant here in New York. I didn't know it when I first met her. After the first date she told me. I then told her I was hired as an extra for the movie. I also told her how angry Stones fans were online(from IORR of course!) over the use of good looking extras instead of fans. She then took that info and told Martin himself!! Way cool! At the time he was editing the movie daily and she would hear and see him working on it. I was told that he was using mostly footage from night two. Then about two weeks later she told me Martin was upset himself by how the crowd looked. She stated he thought they went overboard and made the crowd too good looking. So he started digitally darkening some of the crowd, eliminating some the pretty people! We broke up after Martin won the Oscar for The Departed and I haven't seen her since. Funny to think the online complaints of people being too good looking might have actually had an effect on the outcome of the movie. Wonder if Martin would have darkened people if the seed hadn't been planted in his mind that there was an uproar over the good looking people. Anyhow, that's my Shine a Light story.

Interesting story. Many thanks for sharing it, although with regard to this comment The stink that erupted about extras not being fans was way overblown. Also, this was a special situation and special event. They had no choise but to have hired people up close. It was crazy with all the cameras and changing film and boom cameras. You had to have people working as actors in case they needed you to move or for liability reasons. Maybe not fair to all real fans, but sadly, if you were there, you would realize thats the only way to film something like they did. I hope people get over this negative attitude over that whole situation and realize it was done for a real reason and **absolutely no way of doing it overwise.** Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot.

Personally I cant agree with this at all.

Concert movies arent exactly a new thing. They seemed to manage without this 'hired extras' bullshit for decades without any 'liability' problems before. Saying its the 'only way' it can be done is revisionist nonsense.

It was common knowledge that many 'real fans' got in and that several hired extras were bonafide fans on Shidoobee who were 'auditioned' as one of their members was a crew member. All well and good. The only issue many had was the bimbos in the front row whose presence - at the expense of proper fans - had nothing to do with their 'acting ability' or any liability issue, but purely for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks though for relaying your feedback to the people responsible for making this movie. Its much appreciated. Hopefully,it'll have gone some way to make it an even better film.

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: February 5, 2008 11:18

The three screenings are already sold out! (after 11 minutes)

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: February 5, 2008 11:22

bartfrombrussels

Paulywaul and other Berlin-travellers... I sure hope you've managed to grab a couple of those tickets!!!

Have fun and ENJOY!!

Jelle

Date: February 5, 2008 11:22

bartfrombrussels

Just got back from the real ticket shop (person 2 person)
same thing - all sold out....angry smiley arrrrgh

sorry beast, pauly, withsssoul

Date: February 5, 2008 11:51

I went back to the shop after seeing some tickets pop up online.
bad luck again.

Date: February 5, 2008 12:00

open-g
I went back to the shop after seeing some tickets pop up online.
bad luck again.

Well, god knows how (they were on sale, then sold out, then back on, then sold out, then back on ...) but after 5 minutes of sitting at the keyboard in the form of a total and utter quivering wreck - actually managed to score two tickets for the Thursday night screening. Jesus Christ what an ordeal, it's only 10:00 in the morning and I feel like downing a bottle of bourbon !! Gasp !! Anyway, got 'em.

Open-g, Beast and I are trying to get you a single ticket for any of the three screenings, Thursday or the two on friday, but so far the links are still saying all sold out. If you're on the ground there in berlin, keep trying. Very best of luck.

LATEST LATEST ........ 09:59 UK time ........ Beast has just got you one for Friday !!

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Date: February 5, 2008 12:09

I'm a nervous wreck too - been to shop twice - texting -and trying the online thang...

Yippeeeeee, Beast got lucky hot smiley

Date: February 5, 2008 12:12

open-g
I'm a nervous wreck too - been to shop twice - texting -and trying the online thang...

Yippeeeeee, Beast got lucky hot smiley

It gets better ... she's just got you one for THURSDAY too !!

Date: February 5, 2008 12:15

Wow, I can hardly believe it thumbs upsmileys with beer
many many thanks

man - they shouldn't do this to elder people early in the morning

Date: February 5, 2008 12:19

God, that was an experience and a half. Just kept getting error messages for the first 10 minutes and then they were sold out. So our hopes were *very* *seriously* dashed. Then they suddenly reappeared and I got them, but you had to register first and I was shaking so much I could barely type! Am still shaking now - maybe a JD-laced coffee will calm the nerves....

Date: February 5, 2008 12:20

I see the german online version shows "All Sold Out" -
no so in english.

Date: February 5, 2008 12:29

open-g
Wow, I can hardly believe it thumbs upsmileys with beer
many many thanks

man - they shouldn't do this to elder people early in the morning

We ALL deserve a stiff drink after THAT bloody ordeal ... I swear to god that was a damm sight worse than buying tickets for an actual Stones show and/or dealing with Ticketbastard or rollingstones.com and all the other effin' criminal organisations out there !!

Date: February 5, 2008 13:04

It definitely was worse! I can do without having my nerves so badly frazzled at 9 in the morning....

Date: February 5, 2008 13:12

Beast
It definitely was worse! I can do without having my nerves so badly frazzled at 9 in the morning....

Absolutely!
that was nerve-wrecking.

thank you so much, Beast.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:33

For heaens sake guys...we'll all get to see it soon enough...and we'll all have the DVD in few months ;^)

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:45

good luck for those of you who scored tickets. Looking forward to detailed reviews. Hope it's as killer as the trailer looks.

Date: February 5, 2008 15:47

Spud
For heaens sake guys...we'll all get to see it soon enough...and we'll all have the DVD in few months ;^)

There isn't a "soon enough" ... and anyway, it's a damm fine excuse to get thoroughly excited, thoroughly silly and irresponsible, thoroughly stressed, but nevertheless - also to jump on a flight to Berlin for the day.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Date: February 5, 2008 15:49

Bashlets
good luck for those of you who scored tickets. Looking forward to detailed reviews. Hope it's as killer as the trailer looks.

<<< Hope it's as killer as the trailer looks >>>

You said it. I've read only one newspaper review till now, and that was positive.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 5, 2008 15:51

When would you guess the film will be released on DVD. As I live in Ireland, it will probably not get a cinema release here. It would be a perfect Christmas present, to myself.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home