Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16
Re: Met any big stars
Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: June 4, 2008 12:38

open-g
Adi Tyler
I dunno if this counts, but I'm @#$%& Matt Damon.

Ronnie won't like this^^

I know, he's more into Ben Affleck.

grinning smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 4, 2008 12:49

Elvis Costello and at the same time James Burton & Nick Lowe (backing band members)
Alice Cooper
The singer from ACDC (the one with the cap)
Poor Michael Hutchence (Dublin airport)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Andy Scott (The Sweet)

Probably some more who I can't think of now.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 4, 2008 13:40

I never actually "met" any big star. But three VIPs I came close to just watching are Bono, Prince Charles and Keith Richards.

Bono I saw when Cologne was invaded by top politicians as part of the "G8" summit and he was about to meet some of them promoting development topics. I was just passing by the cathedral where a large crowd had gathered when right in front of me Bono and some security people appeared, crossing the square surrounding the cathedral. What can I say? He was shorter than I'd expected and rather chubby. Not like a rock star at all.

And Prince Charles, well, I "met" him when he was visiting my home town in the north of Germany. They had an English garrison there, so it was partly official and partly a working visit. To me Charles looked like a wax doll pacing off the front line of spectators. Pinoccio without the nose and with a grumpy smile on his face.

With Keith, I know many of you have come much closer to him than me on this particular occasion. Because my encounter didn't happen backstage or in a hotel lobby or standing near the limousine. It was just an ordinary night out, watching Keith and the X-Pensive Winos at the Sporthalle in Cologne. I really admired the show in this 8000 seat arena (now torn down). They just had this candestick on stage glowing in the dark, then the lights went on, and there they were. No big deal. Just plug in and play.

Anyway - watching them from one of the front rows I slowly made my way to the very front. But you couldn't really get close to the stage, as there was this locked area with TV cameras and such. So I just made it to the barrier, jammed and pushed by people just like me (but sadly much taller in most cases). As my exitement rose, so did the heat, and the pushes became harder and harder.

Catching one last glimpse of a completely relaxed Keith, smiling all over I prepared for fallback. By this time I felt like a shrinked bowling pin on the brink of fainting. I slowly pushed my way back and only just reached a side entrance avoiding blackout by the very second. After recovering I watched the rest of the show from the back of the arena. Very relaxing that was. And when I arrived at home, I even caught the show on TV!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-05 11:42 by Greenblues.

Posted by: heinz_str ()
Date: June 4, 2008 16:39

i met ringo star at the airport in los angeles in 1993
he was booked on the same flight to london.
me in economy class, he in first class.
on the flight, i asked the stewardess, if i can go in the first class to chat
with him.
she sayed nooo. They payed a lot of money for the flight and don`t want to be contacted
1 hour later i asked the supervisor the same and also told him, that i have birthday.
1 hour later, he came back to ask me for my name.
1 hour later, he came back again with the menue card from the first class.

ringo wrote on it:

heinz
happy birthday
love
ringo star

Posted by: Tom in FL ()
Date: June 4, 2008 17:16

bruce honrsby at an after concert party in palm beach---I think he was breast fed!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 4, 2008 18:14

Tom in FL
bruce honrsby at an after concert party in palm beach---I think he was breast fed!

My kind of party.....

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 4, 2008 23:12

Met Lucinda Williams once at an outdoor festival, she just quit playing and was walking back with a roadie or security and I kind of hopped between a couple of trucks to the backstage area to try and get an autograph; of course her accomplice waved me off but she said it's alright and I got my autograph!

Met Ray Benson (of Asleep at the Wheel fame), actually got to go on the bus and hang out for a while.

Walked right past Emmylou Harris once, she was in town for a concert and I went out for lunch; it was winter so she was all bundled up, I just happened to look up as I was passing by and was stunned!

Same thing kind of happened with Todd Rundgren.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 8, 2008 13:07

Yesterday I was at this CD/LP market in Århus. I'm flipping through some CDs and I look at the guy next to me. It's David Fricke from Rolling Stone Magazine. I had just bought a Steel Wheels (Japanese CBS) at that point, so I asked him if he would sign my newly acquired CD. So he did. I talked with him for a few minutes about the Danish music scene. He thought it was a very interesting scene, and I told him that I thought it's been going downhill for the last decade. He was a very nice guy and it was obvious that he weren't used to being asked for autographs. Totally down to earth. I liked him. He was in Århus for the annual Spot Festival. He comes every year.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2008 11:22

.... And in 1999 I wrestled with the biggest wrestling star (And biggest Hulk Hogan look-a-like) in Denmark. I had wrestled him once before in 1996. I noticed he put a pic of our 1999 fight up on his website. Notice the perfect sleeperhold I got him trapped in. Needless to say he could drop backwards, and I'd be working as a poster for he rest of my life.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-15 11:26 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 15, 2008 11:33

I've met a few.

Jerry Lee Lewis (several times, even went to his hotel room with him)
Little Richard (very briefly)
Van Morrison (w*nker)
Brian May (lovely bloke)
Dave Davies (though I didn't recognise him! He was sitting with Brian May)
Dave Edmunds (again briefly)
Robert Plant (egotistical)
Jimmy Page (he didn't say much)
Lloyd Price (friendly)
Duane Eddy (even quiter than Page)
Dionne Warwick (very nice)

There's load more, but these are some of the most famous ones. Oh, & I walked past Chuck Berry backstage as he was sitting "tuning" his guitar before going on stage, but he had those "Do not disturb!" vibes so I didn't talk to him!

Posted by: Mickerdicker ()
Date: August 15, 2008 12:09

Well...all of you:

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 15, 2008 12:24

Except for members of Stones:

I got on board a JFK-bound seven forty seven with Miles Davis.
My wife and I were on the way to honeymoon in Barbados.
He was a black crystal and really charismatic.
Though he died a year later, that is a good memory in the now.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: August 15, 2008 16:24

The Stones backstage in Horsens on Sept. 3. 2006!

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: August 15, 2008 16:44

Billy Wyman
George Harrison
Eric Clapton
Duke Ellington
Lemmy

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:04

Sting
Geddy Lee
Neil Peart
Buddy Guy
Smoky Robinson
Eric Burdon
John Mayall
John Hiatt
The Kids in the Hall (4/5 of them)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rock'n'roller ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:34

Burke Shelley (Budgie)

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:50

yes

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:52

No

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:02

I have met and hung out with/talked with Bonnie Raitt, John Mooney, Billy Duffy, Guy Clark and Zachary Richard. It helps being a musician I guess. And someone told me I was hanging out with Scarlett Johansen and I didn't even know it, ha ha!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:24

I worked in the entertainment retailing business for a long time, so I met many stars at company functions, but the real big rock stars did not attend those type of things. Funny enough country stars love to show up (I was actually getting tired of Reba McEntire popping into our Los Angeles meetings!!).

When I was younger Bruce Sprinsteen came into the record store where I worked and bought some David Bowie cassettes. He used his Visa card and the cashier was shaking so badly that she was not able to call it in for authorization. I told her "screw it, I'm sure Bruce is good for it" We started playing the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" album and people started realizing Bruce was in the store and gathering around him, but he was very gracious to everyone. My boss asked if he wanted to go in the office for a little privacy and he did! He shot the bull with us for probably 30 minutes. I was not 21, but my boss told me to go get some beers at the deli for him and Bruce (I still remember it was Heineken). I was scared I was going to get carded and come back empty handed, but I looked older because of my shaggy beard at the time, so I was able to score the suds for both Bosses! It was a nice day!

I have a weird Mick Jagger story that I will post later and see if it rings true for those of you who know more of the Stones touring history than I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-15 23:27 by mckalk.

Date: August 16, 2008 02:42

Here's the Mick Jagger story.

I was on a Delta Airlines flight coming back from San Jose, CA to Salt Lake City in late January 1999 and this guy gets on in coach and sits down I think it was two rows in front me. He seemed like somewhat of a blowhard at first because he's talking loudly to the passengers around him about the Stones concert in SJ being cancelled. I catch that he is saying that he is some kind of tour manager for the Stones and then the next thing I know he is talking to Mick Jagger on the plane phone (very loudly I might add). He goes on with Mick about the reschedule and then asks the person sitted next to him if he'd like to say hi to Mick. The tour manager says Mick is up for speaking to some fans (not sure how the tour manager would know who's a fan or not). Anyway Mick goes on to speak to the passengers sitted next to the tour manager and also a female flight attendant. I guess if I had been aggressive I could have had a shot at talking to Mick though I was in a window seat.

Anyway if the story rings true I almost had a chance to speak with Mick Jagger on an airplane phone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-16 16:22 by mckalk.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 16, 2008 07:58

A good story but a bit iffy. The Stones staff are generally quite cool as opposed to attention-seeking.

Date: August 16, 2008 16:28

I looked it up and the San Jose show was rescheduled for a couple of months later, so somehow he knew about that.

He was stuck in coach and I thought a Stones tour manager would have scored first class, but back then during the dot.com era flights in and out of San Jose were stuffed to the gills.

The passengers Mick "talked" with were clearly not fans, so they had no real clue whether it really was Mick or not. Who knows, but interesting event.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: August 17, 2008 01:53

Hey IORR's thanks for the great response to my post!!

Posted by: Cooljerk ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:06

Don Rickles and Buddy Hackett. Rickles was and is the funniest person I have ever seen.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 17, 2008 07:45

Got an autograph today from Russel Baze,the all time leading wins jockey. Big deal to me....RIP Bay Meadowssmileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 17, 2008 12:53

strettonbull
Billy Wyman
George Harrison
Eric Clapton
Duke Ellington
Lemmy

You stole my thunder. 8 pages in and I thought I was the only one to have met Lemmy. Anyway it was June 83 backstage at the old Glasgow Apollo. I was 13 years old and almost shat myself!

I've also met Andy McCoy (Hanoi Rocks), Rose tattoo (heroes of mine), the original Genesis drummer (at a Genesis convention. He played on one album I think before being replaced by Phil Collins). I have touched David Johansen (New York Dolls) - actually he brushed past me. I sat next to Elvis Costello at a Tom Waits concert at the Rex theatre in Paris. Oh and I played a game of snooker with Dennis Taylor.

An eclectic if unimpressive list!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 4, 2008 23:19

Me and Stephen Fry, having a chin-wag, in London, earlier today.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 4, 2008 23:44

Hey he's a funny guy, Adrian. Looks like a healthier version of Rick Danko

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 4, 2008 23:47

he's a really nice guy, too, Erik.
It was a pleasure to meet him.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home