Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Met any big stars
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 12, 2010 00:48

Well, I was accidently rude to Eric Clapton once.

It was either 1989 or 1990, and Eric was here in Atlanta for a concert, staying at the Ritz Carlton across from Lenox Square, near where I worked.

I'd often go over to Lenox, which is a large shopping mall, for lunch, mess around the record and book stores, stuff like that.

I was about to exit the mall when, for reasons totally unknown, I took an abrupt left turn directly in front of some people walking the opposite direction, almost walking right into this guy who gave me a suprised look and verbalized sort of a "WHOA!" Immediately realizing that I needed to apologize to this person, I suddenly realized who he was and was speechless.

Eric and his lady friend took a left into what used to be Rich's department store, so I followed him from a distance for a couple of minutes. I kept thinking, do I walk up and say I'm sorry? Tell him how much I've enjoyed his music? Ask him for an autograph?

Right about this time a really loud male college student walked up to him in the store and almost screamed "HEY, ARE YOU ERIC CLAPTON??"

Eric looked at him and said, "Er....uh....yeah," with a look that very clearly said "yes, I am, and, please, go away." The student loudly responded with "WELL, ALL RIGHT, DUDE!!!!!"

Right then, I thought, nope, not bothering the man, I now have a story to share, and I walked back to work.

So, Eric, after all this time......sorry, mate.

Cheers.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 12, 2010 01:18

Mongoose..I always think that meeting sometime famous what can ya ask them..that hasnt already been asked before probadly thousands of times through out their life.Keith Richards was once asked whats the question your been asked the most and he said...That one you just asked me.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 12, 2010 01:23

I remember, that was a GREAT quote!

The most famous one I remember from history was Will Rogers when he met President Calvin Coolidge. Coolidge, ol "Silent Cal," was famous for not saying much of anything and very rarely smiling. Rogers was in line to meet him and told a friend standing with him that he bet him five bucks that he could make Coolidge smile with one sentence.

Upon being introduced to the President, Rogers simply said, "I'm sorry, I didn't get the name....."

He won the five bucks.

Date: April 13, 2010 12:46

*Stings* Drummer and backing vocalist at Wellington airport.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 13, 2010 22:11

had the dubious 'pleasure' of meeting The Lord of The Dark Arts, himself,
Peter Mandelson, the other day.

Date: April 14, 2010 03:09

Ive meet plenty of people that think they are famous.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: April 14, 2010 03:43

Mongoose
I remember, that was a GREAT quote!

The most famous one I remember from history was Will Rogers when he met President Calvin Coolidge. Coolidge, ol "Silent Cal," was famous for not saying much of anything and very rarely smiling. Rogers was in line to meet him and told a friend standing with him that he bet him five bucks that he could make Coolidge smile with one sentence.

Upon being introduced to the President, Rogers simply said, "I'm sorry, I didn't get the name....."

He won the five bucks.

There's another Silent Cal story- a lady, sitting next to Coolidge at a dinner, said to him, "My husband bet me $10 that I couldnt get you to say 3 words!"
President Coolidge looked at her and said, "You lose....."

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:27

I meet a few people a month. The one that stands out the best was how super cool
Wayne Newton is. No joke.

Date: May 9, 2010 22:59

Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads & Wilko Johnson Band) - top bloke

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 10, 2010 03:03

I shook hands very briefly with Matthew McConnaughey (spelling).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 10, 2010 08:26

met him in a music store in sixty seven when i was young teenie buying first electric guitar. spectacular friendly warm person of dignity and grace. very kind. full of good humor and trying to relax me, showing unbelievable respect to a kid who was nobody, would be nobody, could hardly play the thing....nervous about this first electric purchase and all my dreams, songs, inspirations etc...
mannys music 48th street new york summer of sixty seven; not long after Monterey explosion. me all flop sweat; couldn't tune it no matter how hard i tried. tryin' to get a bit of rhythm goin' hendrix right there ohhhh nooooo, listening wanting to ask me for a turn on it...
he played MY git, upside down and out of tune and was magnificent blistering magical. UPSIDE DOWN. whew. out of tune and upside down he picked it up put his hands on it and friggin' BENT everything (upside down mind you) into a PERFECT ringing chord...(not touching a peg!) and went on from there....blistering fast runs...made 'sense' too....he did not have to be 'nice' or even talk to me, to get at that guitar or anYTHING ELSE IN THE SHOp.... he was 'street' he was 'real' he was NOT full of himself; he was NOT uppity kinda protecting his special ass star trip. NOT CLOSE... he was INTO the scene...he was warm, reassuring relaxed and super kinda nice vibe. honestly so.

i still have that guitar right here with me. sixty one fender jazzmaster. pro tech told me he wanted the neck not the guitar (many years later).... anyway. three years later he died and i took it personally. hot flash of shock; hurt so bad i cried. he was nice to me. i had heart but i couldn't play hardly a tuned chord worth shit under light pressure of a damn retail store...
....he made me feel like i was a musician too and he treated peeps with kindness and respect, and it really influenced the way i think about people, act toward them and try to carry myself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 09:37 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 10, 2010 10:24

Plenty of 'WAGS' lately - that's 'wives and girlfriends' of footballers, for the uninitiated. No-one of World Cup calibre, mind.

Date: May 10, 2010 10:30

Big Al..Im pleased for Chelsea my favourite London team.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 10, 2010 11:44

Princess Anne
Zara Philips
Bernard Cribbins
Elain Page
Peter Gabriel
Captain Mark Philips

Date: May 10, 2010 12:00

colonial
Big Al..Im pleased for Chelsea my favourite London team.

I'm bloody well not! I follow Man Utd!

No, seriously though: Chelsea deserved their day. They've been largley fantastic this season

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: May 10, 2010 12:16

Beelyboy
met him in a music store in sixty seven when i was young teenie buying first electric guitar. spectacular friendly warm person of dignity and grace. very kind. full of good humor and trying to relax me, showing unbelievable respect to a kid who was nobody, would be nobody, could hardly play the thing....nervous about this first electric purchase and all my dreams, songs, inspirations etc...
mannys music 48th street new york summer of sixty seven; not long after Monterey explosion. me all flop sweat; couldn't tune it no matter how hard i tried. tryin' to get a bit of rhythm goin' hendrix right there ohhhh nooooo, listening wanting to ask me for a turn on it...
he played MY git, upside down and out of tune and was magnificent blistering magical. UPSIDE DOWN. whew. out of tune and upside down he picked it up put his hands on it and friggin' BENT everything (upside down mind you) into a PERFECT ringing chord...(not touching a peg!) and went on from there....blistering fast runs...made 'sense' too....he did not have to be 'nice' or even talk to me, to get at that guitar or anYTHING ELSE IN THE SHOp.... he was 'street' he was 'real' he was NOT full of himself; he was NOT uppity kinda protecting his special ass star trip. NOT CLOSE... he was INTO the scene...he was warm, reassuring relaxed and super kinda nice vibe. honestly so.

i still have that guitar right here with me. sixty one fender jazzmaster. pro tech told me he wanted the neck not the guitar (many years later).... anyway. three years later he died and i took it personally. hot flash of shock; hurt so bad i cried. he was nice to me. i had heart but i couldn't play hardly a tuned chord worth shit under light pressure of a damn retail store...
....he made me feel like i was a musician too and he treated peeps with kindness and respect, and it really influenced the way i think about people, act toward them and try to carry myself.

Great story Beelyboy, thanks for sharing it with all of us.They must be very cherished memories - thanks again.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 10, 2010 13:08

colonial
Keith Richards was once asked whats the question your been asked the most and he said...That one you just asked me.

I believe that one is in the Shine a Light movie. The rare excerpts from that interview and I am pretty sure this part is there.

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: May 10, 2010 13:32

Almost the entire cast of 90's era Coronation Street. Ain't you all jealous! Bunch of piss-artists half of them.
Oliver Reed, in a bar in Gibraltar. He was amazing. Arm wrestling. Balancing chairs on his face. Downing pint after pint in one. Constantly getting his cock out to show everyone his tattoo.
Ulrika Johnson (sp?) during the late 80's. Asked her out for ten pints and a curry. She told me to @#$%& off.
Most of the Royal family, instantly forgettable apart from one uber embarassing episode with Princess Anne.

Date: May 10, 2010 13:43

A friend met Holly Johnson from Frankie Goes To Hollywood, in a caribbean airport duty free shop. Holly asked my friend if he could recommend any rum as he wanted some as a present, but didn't drink it himself. My mate said he could only stare stupidly ahead at the rows of Mountgay and Cockspur rum, trying not to make a joke.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2010 13:48

Geoffrey Rush at a Buster Keaton film festival....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 10, 2010 13:48

lualua
Ulrika Johnson (sp?) during the late 80's. Asked her out for ten pints and a curry. She told me to @#$%& off.

Really? I'm suprised. She seems to have slept with most people

Date: May 10, 2010 13:59

lualua
Almost the entire cast of 90's era Coronation Street. Ain't you all jealous! Bunch of piss-artists half of them.
Oliver Reed, in a bar in Gibraltar. He was amazing. Arm wrestling. Balancing chairs on his face. Downing pint after pint in one. Constantly getting his cock out to show everyone his tattoo.
Most of the Royal family, instantly forgettable apart from one uber embarassing episode with Princess Anne.
lualua..Was Les Battersby banging on about Status Quo..and how much better they are than The Stones.

Date: May 10, 2010 14:14

colonial
lualua
lualua..Was Les Battersby banging on about Status Quo..and how much better they are than The Stones.

I don't remember even meeting him, might have been before his time. This was about 91 or 92. At the time I was in the RN and as a PR exercise, we had a huge stand at a motor show in Manchester. The entire width of the hall. Behind the stands we had a fully stocked bar, a pub in effect. there was about 30 of us there, only about 10 needed for out front, so we alternated working a day on, a day off. The day we worked, we put ten out front and the other five (those of us who'd rather piss up all day) would stay in our bar. As soon as the celebrities came into the hall (they were being paid to attend to bring in the public), we'd give them half an hour then invite them in for a drink. They couldn't wait to get away from Joe Public. The Coronation Street lot stayed with us all day. The woman who played Mavis, was plastered. We had to wait until the hall was empty and smuggle her out as she was incapable of walking. That jug eared bloke Martin Clunes was another. He came in for a bit of respite from the kids there clambering all over him and stayed on the bevvy all day. Can't remember all who came in, but a couple of rugby players, British Lions, TV chef Ainsley Harriot (he wasn't interested, only had a half) Ryan Giggs came in for a soft drink, was there to buy a car.

Date: May 10, 2010 14:24

A member of The Rolling Clones..Mick Dagger

Date: May 10, 2010 14:32

I forgot about Robbie Coltrane.
I was taking a pee in Glasgow airport and I noticed from the corner of my eye this massive fella park up beside me. Now, I'm not prone to looking at blokes cocks in toilets, or anywhere for that matter, but he unleashed this monster. He'd have Ron Jeremy running for cover.
I didn't realise it was Robbie until I slinked off to wash my hands and then saw him in the mirror.

Date: July 15, 2010 16:23

Adrian-L
had the dubious 'pleasure' of meeting The Lord of The Dark Arts, himself,
Peter Mandelson, the other day.

....and again, today, at the launch of his memoirs.

He was in a much better mood, this time.
Laying on his best pantomime dame schick, for the masses.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 15, 2010 16:46

For my work I met quite a few. Of the Stones only Bill Wymann and Mick Jagger! Had the pleasure talking to Ed Kowalczyk of (former) Live who just did a solo album, he's a very nice and charming chap and very intellectual!

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 15, 2010 16:53

Stu the piano player for the Stones. Got his autograph, too.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 15, 2010 17:01

lualua
I forgot about Robbie Coltrane.
I was taking a pee in Glasgow airport and I noticed from the corner of my eye this massive fella park up beside me. Now, I'm not prone to looking at blokes cocks in toilets, or anywhere for that matter, but he unleashed this monster. He'd have Ron Jeremy running for cover.
I didn't realise it was Robbie until I slinked off to wash my hands and then saw him in the mirror.

This made me laugh out loud! You sure have a way with words. I'll never look at Hagrid the same way again.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:36

Recently i've met Dewey Bunnell & Gerey Beckley of America, twice. Great guys!

In the last ten years I've met two actor/actresses, Valerie Harper (TV Show Rhoda, Mary Tyler Moore show) and my all time favorite, Jack Klugman (Odd Couple, Quincy)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 02:37 by marchbaby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1220
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home