Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: kansas 81 with Mick Taylor....
Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 23, 2007 17:57

Now that was a show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-23 17:58 by martingo.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 23, 2007 18:13

mstmst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and I remember him being out
> there for at least 6-8 songs, quite a while.
>

he came on during neighbours and stayed for the remainder of the show.

great pix, rockman and erik...mt still looks like such an young angel there, doesn't he?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 23, 2007 18:21

How does Mick introduce Mick T.? Was there a lot of fanfare or did Taylor just kind of walk on and hang in the background?

Date: July 23, 2007 18:33

wasn't there, Juan, but from the extant recording it seems like it was more a case of the latter....he sorta matter-of-factly mentions him in passing after Black Limo (I think) and then again during the band intros....pretty odd, eh?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 23, 2007 18:38

Odd maybe...
But THRILLING that he was there anyway.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 23, 2007 18:41

Remember T&A - Jagger wasn't happy at all that Taylor was "invited" by KEITH to play. Why do yuo think he wasn't plugged into the the Soundboard??

Keith, Ronnie & Taylor were partying. Jagger went to the roadies with the instructions: NO Soundboard!!! Let him play thru this little Mickey Mouse Amp!

Name one other artist who has "guested" with the Stones who wasn't plugged in!
(to the Soundboard) basic curtiousy..

Answer = none

MLC

Date: July 23, 2007 18:45

well - i thought the oddest thing about the whole affair was that they didn't give MT ANY opportunity to do any of his patented solo work....a coupla breif moments during YCAGWYW and the odd lick here and there, but that's it. WTF? I mean, what was the point of even bothering? I thought he best licks were during the intro of TIOMS...makes you weak in the knees to think what that song could have been like with some real featured playing on the part of MT.....sigh.

Date: July 23, 2007 18:56

Yeah - It was more of Keith vs MJ and Jagger made sure the night dodn't go well.

Keith wasn't paying attention to the details, and got pissed at Taylor for being
too loud, Taylor couldn't help it, he had to turn that Amp up to "11" to hear himself.

Maybe one of these years they will do it right let Taylor rehearse for a few days before rolling out the 3-guitar lineup.. Just for one night!!

Oh and record it of course!!!

MLC

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 23, 2007 19:27

MLC, do you have anything I can read that talks about what you are saying above about Jagger saying no soundboard to the sound guy, would love to read about this.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: July 23, 2007 19:32

i would like to see him get back w/ the boys...be very cool....and i am not a Taylorite

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 23, 2007 19:35

J-J-Flash, it's pretty obvious when listening to the recording - as Taylor is not audiable. If he was guesting on one song - one could understand it, if it was a bad cable or something. But for the whole show....? No

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-23 21:08 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 23, 2007 19:35

tat2you Wrote:
> i would like to see him get back w/ the
> boys...be very cool....and i am not a
> Taylorite

Do you have an MT Heart?

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 23, 2007 20:14

tat2you Wrote:
> What is Taylor doing these days??

Playing some intense lead fork. Silverware to die for.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: July 23, 2007 20:53

you guys are funny..you know TAT is no Taylorite.....but if he could , drop some or lots of lbs ( MT,) i think it could be interesting... if done right....what the hell....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 23, 2007 20:55

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> Remember T&A - Jagger wasn't happy at all that
> Taylor was "invited" by KEITH to play. Why do yuo
> think he wasn't plugged into the the Soundboard??
>
> Keith, Ronnie & Taylor were partying. Jagger went
> to the roadies with the instructions: NO
> Soundboard!!! Let him play thru this little Mickey
> Mouse Amp!

Nonsense. Taylor can be heard clearly on both the audience recording and the SB tape. The thing is, aside from a few songs he knew how to play, he doesn't play much at all. He gets a solo spot on Black Limo (and ads some brillian slide), he does a couple of things on BoB, WOAF, LIB and YCAGWYG, and that's about it.
The Micky Mouse amp was a hundred watt Boogie Mark I, loud enough to play any stadium.

>
> Name one other artist who has "guested" with the
> Stones who wasn't plugged in!
> (to the Soundboard) basic curtiousy..
>
> Answer = none
>
> MLC

Jesse Ed Davis comes to mind in LA, '75. He's on several photo's, but he's not on the tapes we have of the gig.

Mathijs

Date: July 23, 2007 21:29

That is what I thought Mathijs regarding the soundbaord. On the boot I have I can hear Taylor as much as the other two guitars but he seems to only play his licks on certain parts of the song.

MLC you makin things up again about Mick and Keith's treatment of Taylor? shame shame

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 23, 2007 21:37

Thanks for the great pics Rockman and Eric!!

Date: July 23, 2007 22:00

JJ & Mathijs - you too are the biggest Jagger ass-kissers around here.

Everyone but you two find it hard to hear Taylor on the boots! I have one, can barely hear him.

Mathijs - You mentioned (1) Jesse Ed Davis, want me to list the guest's that WERE allowed to plug into the soundboard or where allowed to plugin to the
Stones "wall" of Amps!!! it was intentional and was done to screw thing up,
and it did!!

And who am I quoting: Taylor himself! he's the one who said he had to turn that Amp to (10) to hear himself. Everyone says you can only hear Taylor when
Ronnie was quiet and Taylor was being picked up by Ronnie's Mike's on his Amps!

The event was billed (at the time) as: Mick Taylor playing at the personal invitation of: Keith Richards!! - everyone (but you & JJ) knew that Jagger didn't want him on the stage, and Jagger still not forgiven Taylor for quitting.

Again quoting who ?? MICK TAYLOR!!!

Now go ahead and sugar-coat it some more..

MLC

Date: July 23, 2007 22:07

Easy MLC, I was just asking you to post something about this cause I have never heard Taylor quoted saying that before. When people just say things I always like to know where they heard them from cause there is way to much BS out there about the Stones.

And as far as the boot I have, its a soundboard that I got a few years ago, upgraded from the crappy sounding one that was out there before. All the guitars are quite audible but not perfect like other soundboards from the 81 tour.

I just wanted you to cut and paste the story, interview or whatever it is that said Mick said don't plug him into the soundboard, cause I never read that quote anywhere. You always seem to throw these nutty quotes out there about things with Taylor and I just wanted to see where you get these things from. And I am the one sugar coating things? I didn't make up any quotes, just stating what I can hear on the recording I have.

Date: July 23, 2007 22:21

Never before have I seen one show get more discussion. What is this, the 835th MT played with the Stones in 81 thread? Talking about the show is fine. It does attract the defender of the fatman, though, from here on known as DOTF. I think DOTF may have only made one post on this topic, and has been in a copy and paste frenzy every time the topic comes up again. Does the DOTF sit at his computer and wait for someone to mention this show? You never see DOTF unless MT is the subject. I have a feeling that DOTF printed that pic from the show and really has eyes for Woody. Admit it, DOTF, you wanna really be DOSG(defender of scrawny guy)don't you? Can you burn me some Ronnie Wood CD's?

Date: July 23, 2007 22:24

He didn't read that quote, MT told him about it in person. DOTF knows MT. Had him over for dinner just the other night. All local grocery managers took a whole week off in celebraton....profits to die for.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 23, 2007 22:28

IORR rule nr. 1: do not disagree with Mathijs, you`ll lose...!!

I personally do not want to exclude the possibility that Mathijs is in direct contact with God..

Anything he says is true. End of story.

Date: July 23, 2007 22:29

Mathijs wrote:

<He gets a solo spot on Black Limo (and ads some brillian slide), he does a couple of things on BoB, WOAF, LIB and YCAGWYG, and that's about it.>

Also on Tumblin' Dice, where he plays a lot.

Date: July 23, 2007 22:35

JJ - You will never get anyone to admit that. (Jagger not letting Taylor plugin
to the soundboard) you just have to do the math.

1) Taylor playing at Keith's invitation (only)
2) Jagger was the one pissed at Taylor for leaving, his writing partner
basically for Goats Head Soup, and alot of Sticky Fingers, IORR.
Trying to remember the Taylor interview when he made that statement:
"Jagger still has not forgiven me".. Open G read it too, he'll back me up.
3) Not being plugged into the soundboard!! why wouldn't the sound people for
the Stones plug him in to that wall of Amps? Mathijs mentioned one other
in 1975. I can mention (20) other guests who were. Just a simple oversight?

there's a pattern of this kind of treatment of Taylor. Same thing in 2001
I think, Taylor was quoted by fans in Canada saying he was suppose to sit-in
with the Stones in London, Taylor showed up but was not allowed on-stage.
Stones camp said it was because Taylor missed the sound-check. covering
their rear's for rude snub. Same thing with the KC show. Afterwards they
said it was a trial for possibly letting Taylor sit-in for the Pay-per-
view that year but because the KC show "didn't work" Taylor wasn't
invited, same old spin. You just have to put two & two together..

MLC

Date: July 23, 2007 22:41

Didn't know the Stones play ANYWHERE in 2001.......

Date: July 23, 2007 22:55

Pay pay - it was in the early part of the decade, 2002 then, it's been a while but plenty of "fans" know and have talked about it. Alot of Taylor fans
from the States flew over to see this show with the expection that Taylor
would finally sit-in again with the Stones after that KC-81 fiasco..

Again - Taylor was backstage, the Taylor fans who were there said things when
bad right from the start, Jagger pissed at Ronnie for screw-ups?? then Jagger
going to the songlist chalkboard and wiping off the song Taylor was suppose to
join-in on??

Stones fans comments were: they didn't notice any early screw-ups but Jagger
voice wasn't up to par that night?? who knows

MLC

Date: July 23, 2007 23:33

Again MLC, when anyone mentions any of this same stuff about Taylor you repeat the same things and don't provide any sort of evidence behind what you are saying. Ok if its your opnion or maybe you think that is what happened its one thing. But the only evidence behind anything you are saying is yourself, something you say you read or something Taylor said to you personally.

I am a huge Taylor fan but spewing out hearsay over and over again just makes it sound like pure speculation. After reading book after book about the Stones and all the crap that is published, I don't tend to beleive many things unless I hear them straight from an insider, rather than obsessed fans jumping to conclusions or thinking they figured out what happened. You can say I am sugar coating it all you want and I am a kiss ass. But when you repeat the same things over and over about Taylor it makes you sound like the ass kisser. Funny, I am listening to a Taylor show as we speak and you probably think I hate the guy or something.

Date: July 23, 2007 23:48

JJ - Sorry I'm not saving every interview I've read over the years but I do have a good memory.I've quoted Taylor mostly from interviews in Mags. Like I
said, one of them was given to me by: Open G - maybe he can tell you which one
& what year. I've met Taylor a couple of times but didn't ask him questions
on why he quit or his relationship with Jagger/Richards. He doesn't usually
answer those kind of questions.

And in regards to the stuff I'm saying; if it walks like a duck...
Believe what you want to believe. I've followed the Stones & Taylor closely since the 60's and alot of other musicians that I like. Guess my Ass-Kiss comment was more directed at Mathijs as he was the one who said; nonsense
to the comment that the Stones haven't treated Taylor very well over the years, in & out of the Stones - sorry

Glad to hear your listening to Taylor. Hope you feel like alot of us older Stones fans who would like to see/hear what Taylor could add now to the Stones sound - at least for one night!

MLC

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 23, 2007 23:57

I can't remember such a Taylor comment, but it's pretty obvious that Stones didn't want him in the mix...loudly anyway

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 23, 2007 23:58

how do we know it was "by keith's invitation"? and that it was mick who acted spitefully toward him? I thought it was mick who reached the royalties settlement with him around that time. no question, the band or part of it gave him an oddly cold shoulder for the gig, but how do we know who among them was responsible?

the "wall of amps" thing doesn't really make sense. all he needed was to have the one amp he was plugged into miked up and put through the board. whatever "wall" was onstage is beside the point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-23 23:59 by cc.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home