Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: kansas 81 with Mick Taylor....
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:01

It would be very funny if Stones released some songs from that Kansas City concert on Still Life, with Taylor turned up....without giving him credit - just after settling the "Tops"-situation

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:15

CC - You can quote Rolling Stone Mag on that one! And that was how it was billed
at the time. Jagger wanted no part of inviting Taylor on stage, back then.

And what's the reason for not plugging him in like they did for: Clapton,John
Lee Hooker, Dave Matthews, Issy Stradlin, and all the other guitarists that
have been invited on stage with the Stones. And yeah, he was loud. If he's not
plugged into the soundboard, he's not hearing himself from the monitors and had
to turn-up that single Amp to hear himself. Pretty easy to figure out..

MLC

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:22

thanks for the reply anyway... this show does keep coming up for discussion. I guess it's hard to face that it turned out to be such a dud, from a taylor perspective.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:24

Sad sad sad..
Sad sad sad..
But you\'re gonna be fine..

Taylor`s at McDonalds.. chuggin all his weight about..

Date: July 24, 2007 00:35

Let's change your name to: KING CLOWN - since you are soooooo funny

Ass-bite!

MLC

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:39

It's probably a futile request...

The Taylor weight jokes are so played.
So he gained weight. Give it a rest already. It's not that funny.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:46

Its no big deal, Don't see what can be gained by it,probably fat chance of it stopping, though. Its all getting so heavy. If it stops,I'll feel like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Date: July 24, 2007 00:54

Thanks Schillid - immature little kids with nothing else better to do..

MLC

Posted by: Ron Wood ()
Date: July 24, 2007 00:55

who the @#$%& is mick taylor?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:06

MCDDTLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Mathijs - You mentioned (1) Jesse Ed Davis, want
> me to list the guest's that WERE allowed to plug
> into the soundboard or where allowed to plugin to
> the
> Stones "wall" of Amps!!! it was intentional and
> was done to screw thing up,
> and it did!!

You clearly have no clue about the technical aspects of a live show.Taylor was playing through Keith's Boogie Mark I, placed behind Ian McLagan, about 20 feet from Taylor. The Boogie's sound was picked up by a microphone,evidenced by the audience tape where the guitar can be heard clearly. By all accounts, Taylor played too loud. You can here him feedbacking a couple of times, and both Richards, Wood, Taylor and McLagan said that the problem was that Taylor played too loud. There can be several reasons why Taylor played too loud (lack of own monitors, distance to amp too far, Taylor wasn't used to a Boogie, Taylor wasn't usd to playing megadomes anymore, no one knows for sure), but clearly he was playing so loud that on the PA mixer his signal was turned down, lower than Keith's and Wood's guitar signal.

The soundboard tape we have is an unmixed PA tape. These tapes always have clear drums, bass and vocals, but less guitars as they come through much louder. So, on the tape, Keith and Wood are quite low in the mix, and Taylor is even lower, except for some solo spots like on Black Limo, Time IOMS and YCAGWYW (and indeed also TD)

> The event was billed (at the time) as: Mick Taylor
> playing at the personal invitation of: Keith
> Richards!! - everyone (but you & JJ) knew that
> Jagger didn't want him on the stage, and Jagger
> still not forgiven Taylor for quitting.

I really do think that Mick's power within the band is so strong that if he didn't want Taylor on stage, he would have vetoed it. But the actual truth is: Taylor was invited as a try-out for the pay-per-view on December 18. If Taylor's guest performance was succesful, he would have been made special guest on the PPV. And the PPV was totally Jagger's and Bill Graham's idea and work.

Mathijs

Date: July 24, 2007 02:23

I'd love to see this and judge for myself. Can anyone make me a copy?

Date: July 24, 2007 02:25

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> Thanks Schillid - immature little kids with
> nothing else better to do..
>
> MLC

I happen to be an immature 40 year old, thank you very much.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:28

the pics are funny!!!!!!!.............ha ha ha ha ...........Bobby Keys has awful teeth...yikes!!!!!!! Kieths ears are like dumbo!!!!!!!!!! Mick has dirty finger nails in Gimme Shelter
you have to admit the guy w/ the Eukally(?) ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-24 02:37 by tat2you.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 24, 2007 03:57

Enough of the Taylor weight jokes. He has all his hair and does not need to dye it. Oh yeah, he can still play, too.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 24, 2007 04:07

excellent picture, it looks like mick t is saying to himself, how could i have ever left this great stuff man

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 24, 2007 04:12

legend has it that this show was filmed pro shot and jagger is sitting on it, i guess that means we will never see it

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 24, 2007 05:11

The fact is that it has been 25 years and there has to be a reason why 8,000,000 people have been on stage with the Stones but the ONE guy that most fans would like to see has been absent. I used to think it was Keef that had the beef with MT. But I don't think so anymore.

Mick is holding a grudge. Why on earth wouldn't he invite MT back for a few shows???

One last go-around, at least for a few shows, would be awesome.

There haev been many threads on this before.

CAN SOMEONE CLOSE TO THE BAND SIMPLY CONRER MICK AND ASK HIM POINT-BLANK???

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 24, 2007 06:59

What seems to be forgotten is that Taylor worked with Mick and Keith on sessions for the John Phillips album in the late 70's. So if in '81 Jagger was actually still upset about MT leaving the Stones 7 years earlier, why did he work with him before that?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 24, 2007 07:01

loog droog Wrote:
> What seems to be forgotten is that Taylor worked
> with Mick and Keith on sessions for the John
> Phillips album in the late 70's. So if in '81
> Jagger was actually still upset about MT leaving
> the Stones 7 years earlier, why did he work with
> him before that?

Good point. I think alot of this talk about grudges is just speculation. It may be true, but does anybody really know for sure?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 24, 2007 10:35

taylor looks great in the recent pix i've seen of him; and he for damn sure hasn't lost a lick; not one, the guys is still incredible, which begs the question i will not pose...greatest most heartwarming pix of the stones maybe i've ever seen live...all of 'em; just too wonderful; thnx Rockman and Erik for posting...now THAT must be the boot of boots in it's way?, if there's one reasonably sweet audio...how's the other guys sound? how's the performances?wow. just wow. the gangs all there. five live rolling stones, i mean six, but wow, just...wow. just real heartwarming for sure.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 24, 2007 10:45

i get the joke and all that, with the fat pix...but taylor looks great, sounds great, and it's kinda sad to me in a way also, that stones fans would ridicule the guy that launched the golden period, YA-YA's...two great cuts from lib, ALL the great classic singles...in on 'em from the ground up, influencing 'em, co-creating them as a full stone...

to me it's like cruel ridicule of charlie or any of 'em to post those pix frankly; i'm not really too very offended; just kinda disappointed that people would be so disrepectful to the best ever music that ever came out of the best ever band...what gives with that i wonder?
i mean, behind just a funny joke which we all play on all of 'em once in awhile...seems cruel, unusual and stupid to me...especially for people transversing the world and paying a fortune to watch them TRY to replicate that kind of guitar brilliance...his licks, signature riffs and leads and all... the guy's a effin' master...and he might have saved the stones career as a live act...and i'd like to think it's no particular cooincidence that most of the greatest stones albums and singles feature this brilliant cat...i just don't get the ridicule thing...i mean once or twice...but...wow...
i mean u talk about some of the nine barely talented distracting scumbucket hosers that have on stage these days and people here jump up your ass...but it's free target on a real rolling stone, who changed the entire world...who's songs and licks they are still TRYING to play...wow...effed up man. i just don't get it. plus the guys got so much humility and class and brilliance. effed up man, i'm tellin' ya.

u know what? i wasn't even gonna mention it this year but i was in the room at mick's birthday party in '72, and it's his birthday today again, no?...in the audience anyway...with great seats...and have seen many a stop on that tour...
u can post all the foolish pictures you want, but i'm guessin' not one person who was followed the tour in '72 would take a cheap shot at a real rolling stone...i actually feel sorry that most of you came into it when it was mostly already gone...and dont' even know it...
post away...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-24 10:56 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 24, 2007 11:18

Mathijs wrote:
Nonsense. Taylor can be heard clearly on both the audience recording and the SB tape.

Mathijs could you please post this version. I have heard only one version and MT was buried so far in the mix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2007 11:27

No Creds.........

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2007 12:03

<Issy Stradlin, and all the other guitarists that
have been invited on stage with the Stones>

Did you actually hear Izzy? I didn't... Axl I heard (far too much smiling smiley )

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: July 24, 2007 12:17

Nice one King Snake-nice photo

It is only a joke!

It made me laugh though!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 24, 2007 12:52

Wasn't it around this time that Mick Taylor sued the Stones for royalties for his guitar work on Tattoo You?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 24, 2007 14:00

Beelyboy Wrote:
> it's kinda sad to me in a way also, that stones
> fans would ridicule the guy that launched the
> golden period, YA-YA's...two great cuts from lib,
> ALL the great classic singles...
>
> ...so disrepectful to the best ever
> music that ever came out of the best ever
> band
> watch them TRY to replicate that kind of guitar
> brilliance...his licks, signature riffs and leads
> and all... the guy's a effin' master
...and he
> might have saved the stones career as a live
> act...and i'd like to think it's no particular
> cooincidence that most of the greatest stones
> albums and singles feature this brilliant cat...i
> just don't get the ridicule thing...i

> who's songs
> and licks they are still TRYING to
> play...wow...effed up man. i just don't get it.
> plus the guys got so much humility and class and
> brilliance.

All so true and well said
1972 and 1969 tours were MAGICAL in large part because of MT's playing.

I still love the Stones, but back then they were truly great.

I was watching the Biggest Bang DVD recently. I think it was "Sway"... Ronnie tried so very hard to play something similar to Taylor's part at the end of the song. But when MT played it years ago, the melodic lines just flowed effortlessly. It was like the guitar strings were extensions of his fingers.

Ronnie was trying soooo hard to play like that. You could see on his face how hard he had to work to play those fluid licks. He came sorta close.

Date: July 24, 2007 14:08

<But when MT played it years ago, the melodic lines just flowed effortlessly.>

He played it in the studio, with numerous chances to polish the leads. That's not the case with live performances. Can't be compared.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 24, 2007 14:16

If I were a betting person - I would say Mick Taylor in the Studio was a ONE take PLAYER and did not need repetition to play his MELODIC WONDERMENT.

Talent = Fluidity and Creativity. Talking about his lead work and not Riffing or playing Rhythm which he had to particpate with other band members as the song or IDEA was NUTURED.

play that guitar boy

Date: July 24, 2007 14:23

I agree with that, OpenG, but I've also heard not so impressive live solos on Happy and Tumblin' Dice by Taylor from 1972, so the comparison is still unfair IMO.

BTW, I love Taylor, and the solos on Sway are two of the best solos ever played IMO.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home