Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: BIGGEST BANG DVD SET - give your review
Posted by: magenta ()
Date: June 17, 2007 02:12

i know that Stop Breaking Down is a Robert Johnson song but I betcha that the Stones version was the one that Jessi Colter first heard.

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: June 17, 2007 02:50

excellent dvd boxset, i love it, austin was amazing..only part that bothered me was the overdubbed and too high "HEY" and "YOU" mick sang in Get off my cloud and the harsh growling lyrics to satisfaction overdubbed, AND THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT START ME UP ON THE B-STAGE AND BITCH!!!!!oh well, the documentary is great, i wouldve liked to see more stage/lighting/pre-tour work, statistics, and other places around the world, but a great doc.

love the bonus features on all the discs, duets are great, buttt...the argentina footage...not the same quality as the rest, seems strethed and fuzzy, and worried about you was great on Four Flicks, we didnt need a less good version..

AMAZING DVD set, austin, shanghai,duets and rio are fantastic!!! EVERYONE BUY IT NOW
All 50 copies future shop had here in fredericton, new brunswick, canada all sold out after 3 days, selling like hot-cakes!!

Posted by: mickjaggerforPM ()
Date: June 17, 2007 16:55

Anyone watching the DVD see the sign MickJaggerFor PM that was me in Moncton . I havent got the dvd yet but can't wait . any other IORR members make the dvd cut

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: June 17, 2007 18:36

magenta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i know that Stop Breaking Down is a Robert Johnson
> song but I betcha that the Stones version was the
> one that Jessi Colter first heard.

Always be careful to bet, but seing as Waylon Jennings was born in 1937 and started out in the music business very young, one might imagine that he had heard Robert Johnson before the Stones and afterwards turned on his wife ;-)

Be that as it may - I do not know Mrs. Waylon Jennings - but I betcha that Buddy Guy and Junior Wells (if those are the ones referred to?) heard it first from Robert Johnson. ;-)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:18

said......
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity (IP Logged)
Date: June 13, 2007 17:14

Maybe someone already noticed, but I was looking at the package,and unfolding it,
and thinking about having it framed to hang on the wall? and then it hit me....Hmmmmm...??? Where have I seen this before??

This is the IORR shirt.

This is the unfolded BIGGEST BANG DVD package.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:53

...Kinda close.... (we are being watched.... by Sneaky Mick).......

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 19, 2007 04:38

Can you buy this anywhere else, besides best buy?

I refuse to buy anything from them.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: June 19, 2007 06:39

OK, I admit that I'm not the most technologically savvy guy on the block. But is there a reason why the soundtrack of the Austin DVD would be out of sync with Mick's lip movements? There's a lag of a few seconds, and it's kinda annoying.

Anybody else have this problem?

Date: June 19, 2007 06:44

Bingo Wrote:
> Can you buy this anywhere else, besides best buy?
>
> I refuse to buy anything from them.

i would guess eBay right now

Date: June 19, 2007 08:00

Bingo, Amazon will have it soon, they have 4 flicks. But they will sell BIGGEST BANG from 3rd parties only.... Look, just break down and go to BB. $29.95 for 4 DVD's ? You can't beat that... send in a friend, it's a special thing....

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 19, 2007 13:49

>>only part that bothered me was the overdubbed and too high "HEY" and "YOU" mick sang in Get off my cloud<<

Do you think it is actually Mick we hear singing here? I even have thought it was overdubbed by Bernard or some other stand in. Does not really sound like Micks voice to me.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 19, 2007 14:33

Found this review on BlogCritics.com:

Music DVD Review: The Rolling Stones - The Biggest Bang
Written by Josh Hathaway
Published June 18, 2007
See also:
» Music Review: Paul McCartney -- Memory Almost Full
» Vinyl Tap: Brian Wilson
» Music Review: Hot Club Sandwich - Green Room
The Biggest Bang doesn't seem nearly as boastful when you consider it comes from the self-proclaimed "Greatest Band On Earth," once you've been pummeled by seven hours of footage spread across four DVDs. Size matters to The Rolling Stones and they again outdo their overblown antics. Ever masters of overstatement, their unapologetic penchant for excess makes them the butt of jokes, but also sustains them. The tiny slings and arrows of their critics can't sink this preposterously large mothership of rock. The shows get bigger and ticket prices skyrocket, yet they continue to break attendance and earnings records.

The biggest HD TV cannot transmit the enormity of the stage, sound, presence, and energy of a Stones' show but The Biggest Bang comes damn close. The production is immaculate, the sound captured and mixed beautifully. The visuals are bold, but unimaginative. This is a concert film and the presentation never strays from the standard rock show.

The first two discs of this package focus on that standard rock show, with Disc 1 devoted to the Austin, Texas show and Disc 2 covering the free show in Rio de Janeiro. Both are outstanding with Austin getting a slight edge in terms of performance and Rio getting the nod for visuals. The sea of people, an estimated 1.5 million, rocking the beach is an astonishing sight.

The highlight of the Austin show is an unexpected performance of "Get Off My Cloud." Years melt away and Jagger's voice sounds younger and stronger than ever. He's lost none of his hyperactive, spastic presence and it's amazing he still finds room to improve after singing these songs for 40 years. His confidence allows him to command the stage and spectacle without a hint of self-consciousness. He shakes, struts, jerks, and sings with conviction, simultaneously energizing the band and the crowd.

The Rio show features a scorching cover of "The Night Time is the Right Time," a song made famous by Rudy Huxtable on The Cosby Show. While backup singer Lisa Fischer is no Rudy, she and Mick Jagger tear up the stage. The band storms through "Miss You," with a million voices ready to help Jagger hit the high notes and "Get Off My Cloud" is again played. Jagger's vocal isn't as energetic as it was in Austin but the band is more vibrant and the song again sounds great.

Disc 3 features abbreviated sets from other exotic locations. The Argentinean crowd's enthusiasm nearly upstages the band in Buenos Aires. Stops in Japan as well as the band's first trip to China are also excerpted. Disc 4 features a few more songs and some interview footage with Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, and Charlie Watts. Watts' interview might be the longest of the reclusive drummer's career.

As great as this set is, there are flaws. The Austin and Rio de Janeiro shows are billed as full-length concerts, but that is a misnomer. Apparently, there is a difference between "full length" and "complete." There are a lot of fans who crave complete, single-show performances and a 4-DVD set has enough space to provide this and still have plenty of room for bonus footage. The other flaw is that The Biggest Bang is available only at Best Buy. These exclusive marketing deals are part of the reason critics think of the Stones more as a corporate partnership than a band.

Neither of these flaws should dissuade fans from buying this box set. Critics bet against them every time, but A Bigger Bang and The Biggest Bang are undeniable proof The Rolling Stones can and should continue.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: glen759 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 14:39

I got my copy here in Cheltenham today.....Just got to set aside time to watch it all.

Date: June 19, 2007 14:48

glen759 Wrote:
> I got my copy here in Cheltenham today.....Just
> got to set aside time to watch it all.

That would be in England right?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: glen759 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 20:25

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:

> That would be in England right?

yes I got it sent to me by a relative in the U.S.

Date: June 20, 2007 23:05

HelterSkelter Wrote:
>... Look, just break down and go to
> BB. $29.95 for 4 DVD's ?

Do you know how many times in my life, I've cut off my nose to spite my face??? I haven't bought gas from exxon since March 24, 1989...even when running out of gas on route 50 in Nevada...the most desolate road in America.

I don't have much I value in life...but my principles can't be compromised.

I'll wait it out...thanks Helter smiling smiley

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: June 21, 2007 02:16

I can't say this dvd set turns me on that much. It seemed to jump around so much - I like to see a good chunk of close ups and interviews, not sound bites and a constantly moving camera. The Stones don't need busy camera work to make them interesting, like a lot of bands might. (Did love Mr Pitiful though!) Most of it I've seen online and I just prefer "Bridges to Babylon" so much over this one. However, that said, I hope the Stones continue with us for a long, long time - I do like the Bigger Bang cd quite a lot and loved seeing them last year on tour and on tv, etc. But I can do without this dvd, hope the Beacon flim is a lot fresher and more caringly done.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:58

I'm very dissapointed in this dvd set. i was looking forward to it so much, and i do really like the Rio show. but the Austin show (outside of the waylon jennings song) just really let me down. the 4 flicks set is still better.

The overdubbed guitar is really getting on my nerves. the whole b-stage bit is just ridiculous. you hear the guitar for 'under my thumb' and keith isn't even playing even though it's blaring through the speaker. the weird 'get off my cloud' voice comes out of nowhere. most of the time keith is getting ready to play guitar with his hand running up and down the neck but he never seems to quite get it. he has changed significantly since his accident. i saw the stones in chicago on that bitter cold night in october 06 but i don't know how much difference it would have made with keith.

the bonus tracks are cool but they should have subbed the entire 'saitamo, japan apr 2 show' instead of austin. maybe insert the rare tracks of austin as bonus tracks instead.

i hope he can get it together.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 21, 2007 09:22

Give not what is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Date: June 21, 2007 14:20

I heard a tapping, gentle rapping, tapping on my chamber door. Darkness there and nothing more.

What's with the lyrical languae guys?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 21, 2007 15:39

Am I the only one who owns it but as yet to watch it?! LOL Just been too damn busy!! LMAO

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 21, 2007 15:41

Its great!

Date: June 21, 2007 16:22

Bingo Wrote:
> HelterSkelter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >... Look, just break down and go to
> > BB. $29.95 for 4 DVD's ?
>
> Do you know how many times in my life, I've cut
> off my nose to spite my face??? I haven't bought
> gas from exxon since March 24, 1989...even when
> running out of gas on route 50 in Nevada...the
> most desolate road in America.
>
> I don't have much I value in life...but my
> principles can't be compromised.
>
> I'll wait it out...thanks Helter smiling smiley

I can dig that Bingo... if more of the population was like that we wouldn't be run by BIG BUSINESS.... I have your policy about Wal Mart, won't step in...NEVER

Posted by: mega ()
Date: June 21, 2007 16:57

I live in Holland and a friend took it with him from America. Got it yesterday and watched the whole evening. Just one word; AMAAAAAAAAAZIIIIINGGGGG!!!!!!!! I am so happy that I got it (also because of the price, just 30 American dollars, unbelievable, what a bargain!)
This stuff is so much better than the Four Flicks discs. And those where great already!Rio is just superb. Overall; great sound, great camerawork, great documentarys, all is just great.
I hope that it becomes available soon in the rest of the world. It's just not fair that only America has got the privilige to watch it yet. Amen.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 21, 2007 18:05

bingo wrote: "Do you know how many times in my life, I've cut off my nose to spite my face??? I haven't bought gas from exxon since March 24, 1989...even when running out of gas on route 50 in Nevada...the most desolate road in America.

I don't have much I value in life...but my principles can't be compromised.
I'll wait it out."

I'm guessing you're not married....or maybe you've been married several times.

Wait it out? Exclusive at Best Buy. Where did you buy 4Flicks?

Would it be compromising your principles if someone else bought
it for you...and you reimbursed them?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 21, 2007 18:21

I haven't bought it yet, but I'll have a look for it soon.....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 21, 2007 19:31

I'm not ready to give a review of the DVD yet, but about the Austin show...

I am not contesting that there are overdubs-- I think there probably are a couple on the b-stage at least. But, I'm not sure they were really necessary or that they actually improved the overall effect of the song.

I was at the show and I think, for the most part, the sound in the park that night was actually better (punchier) than the sound on this DVD, which of course is also good.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 21, 2007 19:35

watched or listened 2 " She's So Cold " over 200 times since release

'

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 21, 2007 21:50

I think that when the Stones are on the B stage, Bernard and Blondie are probably still singing and playing guitar on the main stage. The guitar on Under My Thumb kind of ends abruptly towards the end of the song and I thought that was a bit strange so I wondered if it was Blondie playing it.
I mentioned here that when I saw them in Vancouver, I was surprised at how much guitar Blondie actually plays throughout the show.

Date: June 22, 2007 00:48

sweet neo con Wrote:
> bingo wrote: "Do you know how many times in my
> life, I've cut off my nose to spite my face??? I
> haven't bought gas from exxon since March 24,
> 1989...even when running out of gas on route 50 in
> Nevada...the most desolate road in America.
>
> I don't have much I value in life...but my
> principles can't be compromised.
> I'll wait it out."
> **************
>
> I'm guessing you're not married....or maybe you've
> been married several times.
>
> Wait it out? Exclusive at Best Buy. Where did
> you buy 4Flicks?
>
> Would it be compromising your principles if
> someone else bought
> it for you...and you reimbursed them?

I received Four Flicks as a gift, I'm married and only once.

Yes, it would compromise my principles because it would still be coming from BB...I can wait, even if Time Waits for No One. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home