Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slane transport???
Posted by: wälder ()
Date: June 8, 2007 12:24

Hi,

just one question. We are 6 guys from Austria coming to see the stones in slane.
which is the best possibilty to get from dublin there.

Saw on ticketmaster that there is a special bus for €20- should we book this in advance or are there better possibilities, which make more sense?

Regards,

Wälder

Re: Slane transport???
Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: June 8, 2007 12:52

Your choice.

There might be cheaper alternatives available on the day, and there may not. I've friends living in Dublin who i am trusting to make the necessary arrangements for me, but if i were you and coming from foreign climes I'd book the ticketmaster one. It's a bus service provided by the nationwide bus operator and it'll be one less thing for you to worry about when you hit Dublin.

enjoy the gig!

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: June 8, 2007 13:12

Unless you know your way round the local area, I'd leave the driving to someone who does. So I've booked a place on one of the organised buses. You could probably pay on the day, but maybe there is some priority for those that have booked ahead, and for my own peace of mind, I prefer to plan ahead.

Looking forward to a great weekend in Dublin.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: June 8, 2007 15:01

oh well that's it Paul, i mean, it's not just a case of knowing your way, it's the hassle of hiring a car, buying a map, following directions, parking, one of you has to stay on the dry 'cos you're driving, you have to find the car to get home, the inevitable tailbacks and all that sh*t...

as for priority, it's not really gonna be an issue - as i understand it buses will leave from Parnell Sq just off O'Connell St (bang smack city centre) every half hour and i'd be most surprised if you couldn't buy on the day.

sod it - twenty quid says the bus driver can do the worrying!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 8, 2007 15:08

..and at the minute the promoters in their infinite wisdom have STILL not announced any plans to transport fans from anywhere else on the island except Dublin....

Hopefully we're not getting a Werchter part II

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: June 8, 2007 15:11

I still haven't recovered from Werchter part 1!!!

Date: June 22, 2007 15:59

For anyone wishing to go to this show but who arent commuting from dublin, ticketmaster.ie have finally announced a return bus service from Belfast, priced £25

Departure at 1 pm and returning one hour after the end of the concert

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: July 2, 2007 11:33

It seems the bus from Dublin is sold out.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 2, 2007 11:56

gwen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems the bus from Dublin is sold out.

You can still buy tickets. At least 1 minute ago

Date: July 2, 2007 12:08

Sorry about that - I have to get new glasses !

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 2, 2007 14:05

Mrs pw is Irish and reckons that the "transport" issue is all the reason you need NOT (I repeat NOT) to go to Slane. I would like to think that she's being a bit of a girlie's blouse about this and somewhat exaggerating ... but perhaps it might be prudent to investigate thoroughly the whole getting to/from busines just in case - as Gazza suggests - it stands to become Wercher part 2 !!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 2, 2007 14:08

In werchter there was no public transportation at all. The bus from dublin to slane is fine, isn't it?

Date: July 2, 2007 14:15

It is. It'll be slow due to the venue being in a village and accessible by small country roads, but it'll get you there and back OK. They do this every year after all.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 2, 2007 15:02

Is that 20 Euro bus the only logic option back to Dublin? I walk 3 hours every day these days. Is it another 3 hours or 3 days walk? And no taxis? I do still remember Werchter and also San Sebastian only 1 1/2 hours walking each way so I just thought may be it would be wise to do some planning for Slane. No taxis there I guess?

Bjornulf

Date: July 2, 2007 15:13

Unless youre in a car, its the only realistic option.

Walking? Well, I'd guess its about a 20 mile walk along a country road (thats about a four hour walk). Maybe not that advisable.

No way will you find a taxi after the show. You COULD walk to Drogheda (about 7 miles east) and get one, if you really do fancy the walk, but I would suggest you pre-book it well in advance. Cant say I'd recommend it. You really dont want to be stuck in the middle of the country if your hotel is in Dublin.

There is a major motorway to Dublin now from the border which bypasses towns on the coast such as Dundalk, Drogheda and Swords (which is next to the airport). If the buses go that way, it will probably make the journey a bit shorter.

Date: July 2, 2007 15:19

paulywaul Wrote:
> Mrs pw is Irish and reckons that the "transport"
> issue is all the reason you need NOT (I repeat
> NOT) to go to Slane.

Mrs Gwen already gave up Slane due to the transportation and possible mud issues. I must say I was pretty slow in getting a B&B reservation, waited until TM transaction was confirmed. Spare ticket sold recently - but I fear a possible financial loss as she plans to go shopping instead...

Posted by: wälder ()
Date: July 2, 2007 15:24

hmh, it really looks like that the Ticketmaster-Bus is sold out!? Are there other, similar possibilities to get there?
Wälder

Date: July 2, 2007 15:32

I would be amazed if that bus is really sold out. If they reckon there's sufficient demand,. they'll add more.

Date: July 2, 2007 15:33

No - the TM Bus was not sold out 2 minutes ago when I purchased one ticket.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: July 2, 2007 15:45

Having attended the last ten Slane concerts I would suggest the best way to enjoy the shows is to arrive the day before, pitch a tent in one of the local fields and enjoy the pre-show atmosphere. Stay the night of the concert and leave the next day. This way you cut out the terrible traffic on the day and can have a few drinks! I've booked a small cottage for the weekend and can't wait!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 2, 2007 16:19

iamthedj Wrote:
> Having attended the last ten Slane concerts I
> would suggest the best way to enjoy the shows is
> to arrive the day before, pitch a tent in one of
> the local fields and enjoy the pre-show
> atmosphere. Stay the night of the concert and
> leave the next day. This way you cut out the
> terrible traffic on the day and can have a few
> drinks! I've booked a small cottage for the
> weekend and can't wait!

<<< pitch a tent in one of the local fields and enjoy the pre-show atmosphere >>>

A TENT you say ? Nope, would have to disagree. The thang to do is (a) remove occupant (b) incinerate tent immediately (c) crack open bottle of champers & celebrate and revel in atmosphere ... and finally (d) receive thanks from former occupant of afore-mentioned TENT who will have by this time seen the error of his/her ways and be grateful to you for having brought it to their attention.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 2, 2007 17:33

The bus is gone every now and then.
Just keep trying.

TE
Oslo

Date: July 2, 2007 18:40

Like all buses, if you wait for a few minutes another will come along...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 3, 2007 00:14

OK, here is my take on this (not that anyone cares), I plan to drive up from just south of Dublin. I am not going to get there on time, I do not care to see the 2 scheduled opening acts. My tickets are in Golden Circle A so even if I arrive late, my position won't be that bad. That being said, I will be driving up with my son, I will be happy to give a lift to up to 2 people from this forum. The only warning I will give you is that when I arrive in Ireland on Wednesday prior to the show, it will be the first time I have driven on the left side of the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home