Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Blew The Stones Away?
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 22, 2008 20:33

Lucky for both bands the Grateful Dead weren't there - they were approaching their Great 1977 Domination of All Things Awesome.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 22, 2008 20:43

Silverdagger,

With much genuine respect, Skynyrd were by far the better band that day (and night).
I was a humungous Stones nut but all my friends (mostly Stones oriented) and I were so impressed with Skynyrd. They were the highlight of the fest.

Stones did have a good set list, but it was all so late and everyone so tired. Keith and the band were not firing on all cylinders - it was not a great performance. It was good because of the setlist and because of the scale of the 'event'.

The sense in which Skynyrd did not blow Stones away is this..... Between them came the dreadfully dire 10cc with a yawnfully long setlist. ANYTHING was a relief after that - even a tired Richards and Jagger etc.

But I'll remember that day for the invigorating LS getting everyone going and for jagger's failure do do so at about 1pm in the morning, as he jumped up and down at the front of the stage, clapping his hands above his head, trying to get the same response from the audience around him who generally declined his offer.

Their whole approach was tired and tardy..., sort of... "ok what's the next number we have to do from this incredibly long list" ....

I have it on CD. I think the best guitar moments, (the liveliest) are during Billy's set.

Yes it was graet to get Satisfaction (now obligatory, but then it had hardly been played since '69), LSTNT, Rooster, Wild Horses, Around&Around, Stray Cat, Route 66 ......

..... Knebworth is probably the reason that some of these surfaced in the Toronto shows the following year.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 22, 2008 21:19

Well FSW I agree that LS along with Little Feat at the time were the bands just waiting to become mega and there was a huge expectation of LS and they delivered. Agreed that the Stones were sloppy that night but for me those Earl Court shows changed my life. They made the whole year magic - and what it year it was with punk waiting in the wings. Getting to see them one more time at Knebworth was too good to be true.
It's well documented why they were so sloppy - Keith was apparently on edge waiting for Spanish Tony to deliver the goods, 10cc and their infernal synths which needed tuning held the show back a few more hours so for many people the Stones coming on shortly before midnight was an anticlimax. Most people were sunburnt, too stoned, drunk and tired.
Perhaps had the Stones come on at 8pm it might have been different. So yes I see your point but this was 76 and the Stones were still very magic to me in those days.

Date: April 23, 2008 00:05

Of course they were. Your Earls Court photos were/are great. And you '73 recording!
I'll get round to summuarising my Earl's Court experience on that thread. Cheers.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 23, 2008 02:24

yeah maybe the dead could have chicken shit like they did at altamont

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-23 02:25 by melillo.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:14

Four Stone Walls, very interested in your comments.
Could you email me at stonesrule@sbcglobal.net
Thanks.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:19

melillo

Fascinating that you were there to see exactly how it all went down! Please, tell us more!!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:50

Four Stone Walls, thanks for the very insightful comments concerning this often discussed show.

I recently bought the newly released Deluxe Edition of LS's "Street Survivors." It comes with a bonus CD that features the original Criteria Studios version that was recorded by Tom Dowd. Must say that I am glad that that version was never released. Vocals are horrible. Sounds like Ronnie was reading the lyrics. Also on the bonus CD is 5 live tracks from a show in California from August 1977. Very interesting liner notes as well.

1cdog

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:58

Four Stone Walls
Silverdagger,

With much genuine respect, Skynyrd were by far the better band that day (and night).
I was a humungous Stones nut but all my friends (mostly Stones oriented) and I were so impressed with Skynyrd. They were the highlight of the fest.

Stones did have a good set list, but it was all so late and everyone so tired. Keith and the band were not firing on all cylinders - it was not a great performance. It was good because of the setlist and because of the scale of the 'event'.

The sense in which Skynyrd did not blow Stones away is this..... Between them came the dreadfully dire 10cc with a yawnfully long setlist. ANYTHING was a relief after that - even a tired Richards and Jagger etc.

But I'll remember that day for the invigorating LS getting everyone going and for jagger's failure do do so at about 1pm in the morning, as he jumped up and down at the front of the stage, clapping his hands above his head, trying to get the same response from the audience around him who generally declined his offer.

Their whole approach was tired and tardy..., sort of... "ok what's the next number we have to do from this incredibly long list" ....

I have it on CD. I think the best guitar moments, (the liveliest) are during Billy's set.

Yes it was graet to get Satisfaction (now obligatory, but then it had hardly been played since '69), LSTNT, Rooster, Wild Horses, Around&Around, Stray Cat, Route 66 ......

..... Knebworth is probably the reason that some of these surfaced in the Toronto shows the following year.

Absolutely spot on, FSW!!

...and here's verdict of The Daily Mail's Roderick Gilchrist:

Date: April 28, 2008 20:03

lcdog,

I was just so disappointed - because I was such a fan and with such high expectations. Like many others we had camped there the night before. Then we'd got up at the crack of dawn ("sparrow's fart") to get in near the front. But many had beaten us to it. helps explain why so many near the stage were so tired when Stones hit the stage.

stonesrule, yes I'll e-mail you.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 29, 2008 00:08

jamesfdouglas
melillo

Fascinating that you were there to see exactly how it all went down! Please, tell us more!!!

no i wasnt there, but the dead saw what was going on and went back to the trailer and did not perform, and were the only band at altamont that did not have the guts to go onstage, NEXT QUESTION

Date: April 29, 2008 02:41

Okay. I have a question:

In what year did Hannibal invade Rome?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 29, 2008 06:45

melillo
jamesfdouglas
melillo

no i wasnt there, but the dead saw what was going on and went back to the trailer and did not perform, and were the only band at altamont that did not have the guts to go onstage, NEXT QUESTION

With respect, I had read the Dead declined to go on stage in order to get a bad scene over with quickly. By not playing The Dead would get the Stones on more quickly -- and everyone was there for The Stones -- and bring the nightmare to an end.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: April 29, 2008 08:04

NBC filming this one of the greatest shows.... wheres the org with Bill W?

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 29, 2008 10:57

I like the way that article goes on about it possibly being the last performance in Britain and the ageist thing about 2 band members nearing 40 ...priceless this was in 1976!!!

They have had to put up with this shite for 30+ years!

Date: January 31, 2009 03:38

Free Bird 1974 Germany

Date: January 31, 2009 03:46

Saturday Nite Special Asbury Park 1977

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 1, 2009 01:48

I have the Knebworth show and it is NOT The Stones at their best. I have not heard LS performance but from all accounts they played great.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 1, 2009 02:54

I also have seen the Knebworth show AND was there. I think the Stones were fantastic and yes were at ther best, as well as some of the other shows around that time. LS were also very good but you just cannot compare them.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 1, 2009 06:29

pgarof - This is my least favorite time for live Stones 75-76. I respect your opinion though a lot of people like that period. LS can not compare to the Stones at all though were a really good band too bad their career was cut short and like I said I have not heard LS from that day so I can;t compare.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: February 1, 2009 13:16

I am not interested in Lynyrd Skynyrd .

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 1, 2009 13:26

I was there too and the Stones were pretty damn good - better than they are these days. Their material is better than Skynyrd's so I'd rather see the Stones at their worst than Skynyrd at their best - not that LS's songs were poor.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 1, 2009 14:18

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 15:07 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2009 15:59

deadegad
melillo
jamesfdouglas
melillo

With respect, I had read the Dead declined to go on stage in order to get a bad scene over with quickly. By not playing The Dead would get the Stones on more quickly -- and everyone was there for The Stones -- and bring the nightmare to an end.

With respect, I think it needs quite a lot revisionism to make the actions of Grateful Dead at Altamont to look heroic. Wasn't it their idea of asking the Hell Angels there in the first place, because they have had nice experiences with them in their local gatherings? If that is true, that's not very good consultation. It looks like the the whole thing was much bigger what the 'local boys' were used to (blame also the British big boys for believing the local acid-heads). Also the testimony in GIMME SHELTER does not look very brave (just look at the scene where Jerry Garcia, seemingly frightened, is expaining what happened to Marty Palin.) The excuse of giving room for the Stones also nicely saved the asses of Garcia and the rest.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home