Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rock and Roll Circus
Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: March 3, 2007 21:25

Rock and Roll Circus was on Public T.V last night. I recorded it so I can watch it again . I think I can see why the Stones didn't really want to release it. It is OK but nothing great. Tull was really good. And Dirty Mac was good. Until that Yoko showed up. Was that the price they had to pay to get John Lennon to play. Because if I was it wasn't worth it. Man she must have had some hold on that guy for him to put up with her nonsense. I have read at times that one of the reasons the Stones didn't want to put this out was because of the Who's performane. I watched it and thought it SUCKED. I mean there is Townsend singing about sleeping with boys . Creeped me out. And they weren't THAT t good. I found it interesting how restrained the Stones seemed to be. Because not to long after that they embarked on there 69 tour which as we all know was nothing short of great . Just some thougts on a dreary winter day .

Re: Rock and Roll Circus
Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: March 4, 2007 00:44

I think RARC was really good, especially The Stones were excellent. Don't understand why they didn't release it. Lennon was a little nasty, giving his plate to Mick as if Mick was his servant - perhaps silly details like that contributed to the decision to not release it?

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 00:54

Doubtful that Mick and John's playfulness has anything to do with the decision to not release. JJF was alright, No Expectations and Parachute Women were excellent. YCAGWYW was not bad for a debut. Sympathy was probably the reason they didn't want it released. It was awful and Mick trying to be some demon on stage was ridiculous.

They did believe their performance was sub par and that The Who's was great. The rationale, no sleep in 48 hours, but plenty of drinking and other things. The only reason they did release it was out of respect for it being Brian's last performance, in addition to other late performers who had passed on (Lennon, Moon, Mitchell)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 4, 2007 02:21

For those in North Carolina, it's on UNC-TV this Wednesday night.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 4, 2007 02:26

I never understand the whole Circus rationale. They were very good IMO. At least as good as they were many other times. Who knows what dynamics went on behind the curtains? It could have come down to private issues, why Jagger thought The Who were better. Or e.g just alone Lennon saying "Man Mick, the Who blew you guys away tonight.." I think would put serious doubts in Jagger.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 4, 2007 02:30

I thought it was Klein who said to Mick, "The Who stole your show".

I thought the Stones performance was good, especially considering they had been off the road longer then at any point in their career.

The Who, were about as tight as a band can be---their performance smoked. But then again, they had just completed a tour.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 4, 2007 03:03

....don't know if it's common knowledge that Mick's outfit in the Lennon backstage scene (with the food/plate, right before YER BLUES) was making fun of the way Allen Klein dressed.... if it's common knowledge, sorry for taking up space, if it's not isn't that interesting that he did that? I always thought it was quite funny....BTW, Damn shame their first 2 songs ROUTE 66 / CONFESSIN' THE BLUES don't seem to have been filmed, maybe not even just the sound recorded without visual.... STUPID F*CK UP FOR SURE......

Date: March 4, 2007 03:48

Yeah, I had read that--was unaware and then went and saw him in that turtle neck and funny colored sweater and cracked up. And, they really should have filmed everything--would have been great to see/hear those two songs.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 4, 2007 06:18

I'm young dumb-ass...who was playing congas/maracas for the stones?...Also what was the band with the African-American frontman with the round sun-glasses?

Thanks,

Clueless

Date: March 4, 2007 06:28

Sounds like you are referring to, Rocky Dijon and Taj Mahal.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 4, 2007 06:41

Thank you, Glass Slide

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 09:16

Jethro Tull weren't playing live. Ian Anderson's vocals as well as his flute playing were live, but the rest were just faking. You'll notice the guitarist is a young Tony Iommi just before Black Sabbath.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 4, 2007 09:51

I love Taj Mahal's performance on that DVD.

josh.

Date: March 9, 2007 10:53

there's a pervasive whiff of allen klein on this project,besides obvious royalty hassles.no matter.r+r circus works like crazy.i agree klein possibly played on mick being aware of the revenue stream+beatles rivalry[sic].so what?mick knows-mick jagger sees the big picture.he must appear on the DVD tho it's beyond his control or real profit.it's a hugely historic documentary+rocks like crazy obviously.who isn't glad it's out?i think more highly of each act(including yoko-I Get It Now!)(check keith during whole yoko freak-out -hoss is rocking!)
ps love keith commentary-jabbering with his dog Rasta
"bark bark"
"hallo Rasta"
"bark bark"
"you've come from the circus but not this circus!"

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 9, 2007 11:24

I like the stones set, I agree that the who's set was good but not THAT good, and the rest had its ups and downs.

But if I look at the film as a whole, well, it's not difficult to understand why it was not released: it's awful!!!

Only fanatics as we are can consider it good. The concept of the circus could have been good, but the whole thing did not have rythm, it drags and drags.

C

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 9, 2007 11:38

Jethro Tull are faking it???? Are you sure? Gazza's bound to know......

"The only reason they did release it was out of respect for it being Brian's last performance, in addition to other late performers who had passed on (Lennon, Moon, Mitchell)"

Seems bloomin unlikely to me!

"Townsend singing about sleeping with boys".... hilarious!!

I love the show. Superb throughout. The Who are on mighty form but I also think Marriane Faithfuls good, Dirty Mac are superb etc.

And ONLY a british band could produce a show like this.....

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: March 9, 2007 11:57

I thought it was excellent-especially the Stones- JJF and Parachute Woman in particular were very good.

The only down side was Yoko Ono ruining one of the songs with her screeching-how can anyone think that was good!-stupid bint!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 9, 2007 12:01

I think there's a certain charm to it. I like the violin players look as he's drowned out. I also like the way Lennon is so excited at the end.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2007 12:06

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jethro Tull are faking it???? Are you sure?
> Gazza's bound to know......

Tull are miming, I think even Ian's vocals(not so sure) and flute(definitely sure) from the original album version are still there, but Ian sings and kinda plays the flute on top of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-09 12:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 9, 2007 14:46

no expectations on the rock and roll circus is exceptional, but some of the rest of it is not so good.

the stones themeselves didnt think they were at thier best.

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: March 9, 2007 14:58

the Stones performance was good - not great. They were up for 2 days and looked tired and played tired...check out Salt of The Earth !
The Who were very good.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: March 9, 2007 17:16

For what it's worth I think the Stones where great on this film. Yeah ok, the whole format of the film was silly but the band performances where good.

I think SFTD is superb, the best performance availible on official release.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 9, 2007 17:38

the stones shined....they looked and sounded like the rolling stones...meaner, tougher. no other band of that time looked like rock gods like the stones...
and the older that movie becomes the clearer it is that the stones were ahead of their time with both their look and raw punk/hard rock sound!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 11, 2007 00:54

just out of curiosity what was the type of amp Keith was using? Outside of the Ampegs he sounded the best tone wise. It was pre-ampeg post vox. His tone his clean yet very low and unusual. I think that is why this performance was so unique because that was a onetime sound for him. Very interesting.

Go Dawgs!

Date: March 11, 2007 02:01

Ringo Wrote:
> I think RARC was really good, especially The
> Stones were excellent. Don't understand why they
> didn't release it. Lennon was a little nasty,
> giving his plate to Mick as if Mick was his
> servant - perhaps silly details like that
> contributed to the decision to not release it?

Mannnnnn, it was the 60's mannnnn....psychedic 60's...it was the era...
Can you imagine if all the people were alive today and they were going to do something like that how much the concert would cost today? A hefty price.
Let's be happy we have that artifact on film.
Oh, BTW...that was atypical of Lennon's humour...just a wee gag...Mick was smirking too...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 11, 2007 04:25

1968...Watching it now. Taj Majal, very interesting!
Gotta love Clapton, "of the late, great, Cream" on the stage with
Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-11 04:34 by angee.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 11, 2007 07:08

Watched it again tonight on PBS. You gotta hand it to PBS. They may have a reputation for being a bunch of stuffed shirts but in the last week they put on a lot of good rock stuff including Rock And Roll Circus and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Date: March 11, 2007 10:16

x

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-11 17:52 by His Majesty.

Date: March 11, 2007 17:53

nankerphlege Wrote:
> just out of curiosity what was the type of amp
> Keith was using? Outside of the Ampegs he sounded
> the best tone wise. It was pre-ampeg post vox.
> His tone his clean yet very low and unusual. I
> think that is why this performance was so unique
> because that was a onetime sound for him. Very
> interesting.

It looks as though Keith is using two amps, a Triumph(possibly a silicon 100) and a Vox Supreme. The supreme is going through a Vox Foundation/Super Foundation bass cab. I notice that it's only the Triumph that's mic'd up though, but the two amps are connected.

I'm not sure if the Triumph was all solid state like the Vox, but most Triumphs in ads from that period were.

I think Keith used this same amp for Gimme Shelter, it appears that it first came in to use during the Beggars Banquet sessions though.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 11, 2007 17:58

Brian's demise might have had something to do with the decision not to release the circus....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home