Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

E- Guitar recommendation for a Guitar Beginner
Posted by: witterings ()
Date: February 6, 2007 14:59

To all the experienced Guitarplayers on this fantastic Board:
Which E-guitar and Amp. would you recommend to a Beginner, who wants to get sounding a little bit like Keith? For the first step it should'nt be to expansive, but also no trash.
Is this offer e.g. a good one?: [cgi.ebay.de]
What Websites with video instructions, chords, etc. with a lot of stones related stuff preferred, would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Witterings

Re: E- Guitar recommendation for a Guitar Beginner
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:06

Tonnes of cheaper options available......

Any good guitar shop can sort you out.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 6, 2007 15:55

I can't see that link from where I am...but a bit of general advice ;^)

There is always an argument for saying "buy the best guitar you can afford". But we aren't all made of money and the risk is that you don't persevere with it and it becomes an expensive mistake.

Failing that, buy a Squier Telecaster or simlilar for the Keith vibe.
For a more general recommendation, the more Strat like Yamaha Pacifica G112 is, after many years in production, probably still the best true "budget guitar" on the planet

Whatever you buy, get it checked over and set up by a pro or by a more experienced friend. You won't be able to judge how well set up it is as a biginner...and this can make all the difference between learning easily and quickly or packing it up after a week as a bad job because it's hard work and it hurts !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-06 16:01 by Spud.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: February 6, 2007 16:02

I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Jr combo.100 bucks,not too much to lose if it sucks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2007 16:34

The Squires and Epiphones are a good starting place - good sounds, reasonably priced.

Try Harmony Central for guitar chords, etc.

Try Cowpie, for country.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 6, 2007 16:55

yes Squire is the best choice. For an Amp it depends what you want. If it is something to practice on I would go for one of those small solidstate Fender amps. With 1 12" speaker. Like a Champ e.g.
The thing is, when it comes to trying to learn guitar I believe in old school, all the way. IMO you should go get a 6 string acoustic guitar and learn the basics. A C chord, the Barre chord, learn WHY a chord is amde up of certain notes, get a songbook of Beatles songs and play the hell out of them and THEN start thinking about an electric guitar.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 6, 2007 17:08

Yeah, CD, the move from acoustic to electric is a lot easier than vice versa.

Also, learn from all sources - books, DVDs, CDs, friends (especially if they play stuff you normally wouldn't play), etc.. And if you play keyboards, sax, etc. then you can tranpose this stuff.

It's a great and never-ending learning experience - one never learns it all. Lots o' fun too.

One more point - finding a dependable, on-time musician friend is hard to do. Something about creative folks.

And start writing ASAP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-06 17:10 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:37

Sounding a bit like Keith will take a bit of time while you master the basics:- and that's the most boring bit. It's a bit like acquiring many skills, really. Once you get are competent then you really start to enjoy it and your playing will inprove further almost without you noticing. It is really worth all the hard work. Learn how to tune it (using a tuner is OK) and a few basic chord shapes (G,C and D will do to start). Practice this until you can change chords without missing a beat and you're on your way..

As for guitars, the best thing is to go to a good music store with a friend that plays guitar and knows the styles of music you like. Get an instrument that feels comfortable and sounds good to your ears. It won't hurt if you like the way it looks as it may spend a lot of time with you.

Electric guitars can be wild beasts to tame and you should consider an acoustic as a first buy. Make sure it's got a solid - not laminate/plywood - top and feels comfortable. You can get a pretty good one for not a lot of cash, but avoid flashy looking acoustics if you're on a tight budget as you pay for the flash at the expense of quality.

If you are dead set on an electric right away, remember you need to budget for an amp also. Squier guitars are OK but not as good as they once were. Epiphones can be better, but dearer too (although they've just issued a nice Les Paul Junior model that's getting good reviews). It is in fact hard to buy a bad electric these days and most shops have special offers on select models. Pay as much as you can afford. Not only will you get a better guitar, but it will hold its value better than a cheap one. Get a good one and you may never want to sell (I've still got a Gibson acoustic I bought second hand 30 years ago). If you're playing in the house, you don't need a powerful amp in terms of wattage, but you might not get a good sound out of a really cheap amp even with a good guitar. You get what you pay for and try to find someone to guide you through your first purchases.

Date: February 6, 2007 17:39

Good points, teleblaster, especially about a beginner buying a tuner. One could be playing the chords correctly and still sound like sh*t with just one string out of tune. Tuners are cheap - get one.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:51

Thanks Elmo. Always feel that you learn an instrument better if you make nice sounds and you are therefore more likely to stick with it. Always advise budding guitarists to buy the best they can afford and KEEP IT IN TUNE!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 6, 2007 17:54

Ditto the advice on the tuner...
A great aid to both beginners and experienced player alike.
But learn not to rely on it too much. Learn to tune the guitar by ear too...or you may not develope a good ear for pitch, which is something coveted by all musicians.

Date: February 6, 2007 18:15

This may be getting ahead of the game, but learning that the I, IV, and V chords sound good together and learning the 12-bar blues pattern are essential. Also, a simple country pattern - i.e. "Dead Flowers".

"Dead Flowers" would be an easy song for a beginning player to play (and lots of fun for the more experienced). Just D, A, and G. No bar chords! That Taylor guy does a nice job on the lead (anybody else notice that?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-02-06 18:20 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: February 6, 2007 18:27

Agree with all who say get an acoustic.Electrics are great,and one day I will get another one,but right now the ol' flat top does the trick.

I just recently bought a new acoustic.Its a Yamaha FG735S.I love this guitar.It has a wonderful sound,the action is perfect,and looks great with a vintage cherry finish and tortoise shell pick gaurd.I'm totally satisfied,and it only cost $349. Solid spruce top,rosewood back and sides.Rosewood fingerboard also.

Also agree about the tuner...a MUST.Learn the basics,the rest will come.Good luck!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2007 18:44

As I see it, when you are a beginner you already have a hard time to learn your chops and you don't need to struggle with a crap guitar: it is important to have a decent and playable instrument.

Since it is hard to understand what is good and what is bad when you know nothing about guitars, just go and choose one with someone who knows.

If you can afford them, G&L Tribute series are great guitars for the money they cost. You can easily find them used for more or less 300 USD. This is a guitar that you will want to keep even when you will be a good guitarist. But if you decide to quit, you will be able to sell it for more or less the same price!

Just any solid state used amp is ok to start (I started with a 15 v Arrow - 50 UDS still alive and kicking)

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2007 18:47

OK, teleblaster already said it all!

C

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: February 7, 2007 02:38

All this talk of guitar has inspired me to break out my ol' Les Paul and plug her in.

The neighbors aint pleased smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home