Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Keith's Les Paul sunbursts & goldtops
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 3, 2008 12:38

with sssoul
speaking of standard LPs ... i am so sorry i don't have a scanner!
i just got (finally!) a copy of David Dalton's 1972 book called just Rolling Stones
(subtitled an unauthorized biography in words, photographs and music ) and on page 58
there's a photo identified as a Dominique Tarle shot of the Stones' first Paris show (october 20th 1964).
it's not very clear, but ... [peering hard] ... that's the 59 sunburst LP Keith's got there, isn't it?!
if i'm not hallucinating, that would be the first time i've seen a shot of it from before the second US tour -
just three days before, but still! it would fit right in with the story that Keith bought it at Selmer's, not in the US.

if someone out there who has the same book and a scanner and the good will to scan and post the shot
that would be very very cool and i would be most grateful. and/or if any of our Guitar Connoisseurs who own the book
could have a look and tell me what you think ... it sure does appear to be a single-cutaway model, so it ain't the Epiphone!

smile: the book was supposed to be my bedtime reading last night, but when i saw that shot
i got so excited i couldn't sleep. blame it on the Stones :E

Sharp eye! Keith indeed plays the Bigsby Burst on that picture!

Mathijs

Date: August 3, 2008 12:39

with sssoul
>> Keith ... A '54 Goldtop in '72 ... A '52 Goldtop in '75 <<

the 52 goldtop he had in 75 is the one he acquired in the mid-60s?

I'd say most likey yes, but the tuners have been changed somehere, so it could be a different instrument.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2008 12:40

>> Sharp eye! Keith indeed plays the Bigsby Burst on that picture! <<

yayy - thank you Mathijs! [flinging Bigsby-equipped sunburst confetti all over the damn place :E ]

so if the photo credits are right - and the book seems to care about the photo credits -
that's finally a positive sighting of that guitar in Keith's fine hands prior to the second US tour.
three whole days before it - i am totally charmed! if no one else posts the shot i'll try to get it scanned next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-03 12:46 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2008 12:52

5 pound and a bag of horse feathers thank ya..........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2008 12:56

smile smile smile: thanks & praises Rockman!
a 5-pound bag of Bigsby-equipped sunburst tailfeathers will be on its way shortly :E

and ah see in that enlargement it's real clear which guitar it is - thank you thank you!
that is what i call a genuinely gallant scan job. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-03 13:20 by with sssoul.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 3, 2008 13:28

Hi sssoul....

Thanks for the link (on another thread) about dvd region-free etc...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 3, 2008 16:29

Good work!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 1, 2008 21:50

Just spotted something, such is my ocd that I remembered this thread.

The above shot is actually from one of their April 1965 Paris Olympia gigs, not October 1964.

These shots are from 20th October 1964...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-01 21:56 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 2, 2008 00:58

Thanks for the Olympia pics His Majesty!

Posted by: noexpectations ()
Date: December 2, 2008 06:36

beautiful guitars

Date: September 22, 2015 11:59

batonrouge75
video: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks batonrouge75 for posting the clip of the LP affectionately known as Claw.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2016 23:03

Guitarist Presents - Legends of Tone - Gibson

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Snailremo ()
Date: July 27, 2016 20:42

First time poster but long Iyatime lurker. Ran across this site recently. Does anyone think it possible that this les paul is the Keith/Taylor one??

[www.garagehangover.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 27, 2016 21:05

You mean the one the guy in the second picture is holding?

Posted by: Snailremo ()
Date: July 27, 2016 22:44

Yeah, couldn't figure out how to attach the picture

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 27, 2016 23:04

Here:

Date: July 27, 2016 23:10

The timing seems to make that impossible, no?
Keith acquired his LP in 1964, and that photo seems to be from 1965 - or am I misunderstanding something?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:20

This defies logic that there is no question about the serial # 9-3182 and this is Keiths /Mick Taylors Les Paul .Why have the Rolling Stones attorneys not put this back in it's proper place ?

Date: July 31, 2016 18:12

Mathijs
with sssoul
>> Keith ... A '54 Goldtop in '72 ... A '52 Goldtop in '75 <<

the 52 goldtop he had in 75 is the one he acquired in the mid-60s?

I'd say most likey yes, but the tuners have been changed somehere, so it could be a different instrument.

Mathijs

It is the same guitar. The guitar has been transfered to '56 specs (meaning he took the trapeze tailpiece off and installed a stop tail and tune-o-matic bridge) by Jim Barber in the 1983 or so. Apparently Keith still owns it.

Mathijs

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 17:23

I stumbled across some new details as to the provenance of Keith’s first ’59 Burst (online update to the Stones Gear Book – see http://www.gregstackhouseprevost.com/stones-gear.html, at the bottom of the page). The photo shows the ‘60s UK band The Outlaws, with rhythm guitarist Ken Lundgren holding a sunburst Les Paul; the lead guitarist BTW is Ritchie Blackmore.
Lundgren sold/traded the Burst for a Gibson Barney Kessel at Selmer's in London. It transpires that this may well be the guitar purchased in 1964 by Keith Richards.

Lundgren had bought it in 1959 at Fletchers Music Store in Nanaimo B.C. in Canada when he was a member of the local band The Pacers. At the same time, fellow band member Jack Dawes also bought a Burst, which was later sold to Randy Bachman (The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive).

Date: January 30, 2020 11:01

Mathijs
All I ever played is a '57 Goldtop, and that was 'just' a good, vintage guitar. If a '57 reissue for the custom shop costs $3000 I would pay $5000 for the '57 I played. Of course, the '57 is worth over 100K.

I've played many vintage Juniors and Specials, 335's, Tele's and Strats, and in my very humble opinion the guitars produced today at the custom shops of Fender and Gibson are really just as good....Give these instruments 20 years and they are 'vintage' as well.

Mathijs

Funny statement. I have in the meantime played a dozen or so original Burst's, and I stick to the statement -I just don't think they should be any more worth than say twice the value of a Custom Shop guitar, and even then....They do have a certain mojo from being old, and yes I think original PAF's have something special, but that's about it. There were even a couple of Bursts that I just didn't like at all, like the now famous Dutch burst, which has a unplayable neck (even Joe Bonamassa skipped that one).

There were a few LP Juniors though that I thought were outstanding. Just a slab of '50's mahogany with a P90 on it through a blasting Tweed Twin. That's not a sound but a revelation.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 30, 2020 19:58

Vintage PAF pickups are going for close to or at $10 grand . Supply and demand economics determines the going rate for prized Original Vintage Sunburst Gibson Les Paul's i.e. there weren't that many of them made in the golden era of 1958-1960 . Then throw in our guitar heroes making the most iconic and treasured rock music , you get the rarity of these prized Sunburst Les Paul's As far as tone goes , one may sound like a dream and play like a dream and the next one could be pedestrian , why ? because tone is subjective and thusly a very personal choice without even factoring on average half a million $ investment on a regular non celebrity owned original / non damaged Burst . Think about that for a second ? The "Greenie" Burst that was put on the map by Peter Green and then sold to Gary Moore , now resides and is used on stage by Metallica own Kirk Hammett and bless him for that as it gets to be seen and heard and listened to live on stage . The "Greenie " burst has a repaired headstock break .For the life of me I would never spend $ on something that had such significant damage done to it , and all the nonsense about how it plays after the repair and how structurely strong it has become since the repair and all of that nonsense -broke is still broke and forget about mint or vintage condition it's in . To me that's something that should be in a museum under glass , not in someone's hands being played ! It all comes done to buyer beware and the buyers pejorative and what his desires are .

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home