Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Keith's Les Paul sunbursts & goldtops
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:35

It's maybe worth adding that Shubb [who make the capos Keith uses] are posisbly the only folks making a Capo to correctly match a Fender vintage 7 inch fret board radius.
Doesn't remove the requirement to fine tune when you fit...but it allows all the strings to ring cleanly without using excessive clamping force.
Standard radius Capos will work with a vintage radius board... but you have to fiddle with them a lot more to get them correctly seated and playing in tune.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 09:57 by Spud.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:55

I agree about the Schubb capos, but...

[who make the capos Keith uses]
..."in recent years" should be added.

In earlier days he used Wittner, Jim Dunlop and others.

Date: July 10, 2008 15:56

...and sounded out of tune as often as not.
Those old tubular capos secured with an elastic strap require loads of fiddling to retune as there's no fine adjustment of tension. Same with the Dunlop Capos...it's either this notch, too slack, ..or that notch, too tight ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 16:00 by Spud.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 10, 2008 16:00

hehe - also true.
I was thinking of mentioning that aswell.
It seems the search for the holy grail of capos ended with the Schubb.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 10, 2008 18:01

I wsih Schubb made a capo that could fit on the upper reaches of the fret of my Les Paul. The neck is like a baseball bat and none of the 3 different Schubbs I have will fit!

Date: July 11, 2008 10:00

Exactly how far up are you wanting to position it ? Is it because you're gertting almost to the heal ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 10:03 by Spud.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 11, 2008 10:05

[she smiled sweetly:] do you gentlemen want me to open an "iorrians' capos" thread for you?
i will be glad to, and i'll even hang a nice photo or two in it. :E

edit: following the posts below ... okay - go ahead, light up the town: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 20:42 by with sssoul.

Date: July 11, 2008 15:44

I think we can pass on that one.

But thanks for the kind offer.

Now a thread about plectrums would be cool ;^)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 11, 2008 18:55

I think that was a gentle nudge to try and keep on topic as it really makes these instru-informative threads easier to navigate. thumbs up

Date: July 11, 2008 19:08

LOL,
Yes I think we'd noticed that. ;^)

Date: July 11, 2008 19:10

Spud
Exactly how far up are you wanting to position it ? Is it because you're getting almost to the heal ?
The lovely Ms Sssoul is correct. We should stay on topic. But to answer the question I was trying to capo at the 7th fret (near the heel would be way too high up the neck!) and the Shubbs don't fit beyond the 5th fret. I'll just have to use a Fender <sigh>

Date: July 11, 2008 19:12

That's one fat neck !

Date: July 11, 2008 21:02

It is indeed. The Les Paul's neck profile became thinner in 1959 and even more so in 1960. Before that they tended to be a bit on the thick side. Still, it's one hell of a guitar!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 13, 2008 01:04

with sssoul

okay here we go:
Keith's first 1959 sunburst Les Paul, which he acquired in 1964:

- Ready Steady Go jan 15th 1965 (probably!), courtesy of BrownEyedGirll

this is the one he sold to Mick Taylor late in 1967, and then requisitioned for Honky Tonk Women on the 69 tour:

- 1969, probably MSG, courtesy of Erik Snow

So many posts on this thread, maybe it was answered yet - Keith had a closed relationship with Taylor prior the latter was hired by the Stones?

Date: July 13, 2008 10:51

>> Keith had a closed relationship with Taylor prior the latter was hired by the Stones? <<

i've never heard of a close relationship between them; Mick T simply bought Keith's LP.
apparently it was Stu who actually did the transaction with him.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2008 11:51

with sssoul
>> Keith had a closed relationship with Taylor prior the latter was hired by the Stones? <<

i've never heard of a close relationship between them; Mick T simply bought Keith's LP.
apparently it was Stu who actually did the transaction with him.

I believe that Taylor has stated that he'd only run into Jagger one time before he actually auditioned.

Mathijs

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2008 08:18

I use a Kyser. It works on any guitar I've ever played. I used to have the shitty kind, the Dunlop Elastic Heavy Single - a piece of shit if there ever was one. I've seen pictures of Keith using one. Always surprised me. But then again, he does like to play through a Fender Twin, a shit amp if there ever was one for Fender. Their worst amp ever.

Date: July 14, 2008 09:34

skipstone
a Fender Twin, a shit amp if there ever was one for Fender. Their worst amp ever.

Why is that?

Mathijs

Date: July 14, 2008 09:50

here's the thread for discussing your own capos: [www.iorr.org]
enjoy it! and now back to our regularly scheduled thread about Keith's Les Pauls ...
please and thank you kindly

Date: July 31, 2008 05:17

I remembered this pic taken around 1970 and I believe the Burst pictured on top is the same one pictured below, which is from the Hard Rock Cafe Museum in Florida. Though its hard to see, you can just make out the figuring above the bridge pickup and behind and below the bridge between the control knobs. Aside from the pickup covers, it looks to be the same guitar but I believe it was actually used by Mick Taylor and not Keith Richards during the '70-72 tours but I don't have any more clear photos of it to verify my statement. Thoughts and more pics anyone?

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: July 31, 2008 11:24

I believe it is from 1970 or 1971 as well because Keith Richards didn't use one without a bigsby until after the 1969 United States tour and he also used a second Dan Armstrong during that era also.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: July 31, 2008 15:32

Not that it indicates anything...but that LP in the Hard Rock Cafe picture has the screw holes indicating that a Bigsby has been fitted at some point.
[One hole just front right of the "stop tail" and one just back left of it]

Date: July 31, 2008 18:49

I noticed that as well Spud but in the older pic it's hard to tell if the guitar had a Bigsby fitted at one time. I seem to recall Mick Taylor saying in his 1979 Guitar Player mag interview that early on in his Stones tenure he had a Bigsby equipped Les Paul and removed it. I'll have to look and see if I still have it but I do believe these two guitars are one in the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-31 21:38 by ChrisM.

Date: August 1, 2008 06:52

Mathijs
skipstone
a Fender Twin, a shit amp if there ever was one for Fender. Their worst amp ever.

Why is that?

Mathijs

Off topic I know but I'm curious as well. To my mind it is one of the best amps, at least in its first few years of production, that Fender, or anyone else, has ever made. Why do you dislike the Fender Twin so much skipstone?

Date: August 1, 2008 10:19

Firsty, which Twins are we talking about.
Do we mean 50s spec high and low powered Tweed Twins ? , 60s Black Face Twins ? Silver Face Twins ? ,Rivera era twins, later Red Knob & "Evil" Twins ? or....

Some of the above are verydifferent amps which will appeal to different folks. The old Tweed twins like Keith uses these days have luscious warm clean sounds and gnarly compressed distortion when overdriven.

The classic 60's Black Face Twin Reverbs are famed for that huge scooped and bell like clean sound with a shimmering top end...and for remaining clean at very loud levels. Some folks hate these because they don't distort...but that's not because it's a bad amp.

Horses for courses... and a matter of taste and requirements.

Most folks think the late 60's Silver Face models represented a decline in quality [largely justified] and didn't like some of the design changes.[these can be easily modded to Black face spec if that's your wish and there are still a few bargains to be had].
Later model "Twins" with master volume and other more complex circuitry are perceived by many to have let the baby out with the bath water and to have lost the vital quality of tone that we expect from a good Fender amp.

You could discuss the relative merits of various Fender Twin amps for days [and this is not the time or place]... but I'd challenge anybody to dislike all of them ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 10:21 by Spud.

Date: August 1, 2008 10:29

To get back on topic, and without reading back through the whole thread, approximatly how many Les Pauls do we know to passed through Keith's and MT's hands down years ? It's evident that one has often been confused with another.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: August 1, 2008 11:53

I always thought Keith used two gibson les paul standards with bigsby vibratos. I know of so many les pauls Keith has used. Mick has used four standards in the Rolling Stones and one custom in the Rolling Stones.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: August 1, 2008 19:26

From top of my head, the LP's so far (until '90 that is, the rest I don't care about so much):

Keith: two three-pickup customs from '66 to 71. A '54 Custom in '72 and '73. A '54 Goldtop in '72. The "Taylor" Bigsby Burst in '64/'65. The "claw" burst in '72. A '52 Goldtop in '75. A Special in '78, a Junior from '73 to date.

Taylor: Keith's Bigsby Burst 'from 67 to 71, a '59 standard from '68 to early 80's, the "claw" burst from ~'71 to early 80's, and a dark burst on the '73 winter tour, probably rented.

Mathijs

Date: August 2, 2008 12:00

>> Keith ... A '54 Goldtop in '72 ... A '52 Goldtop in '75 <<

the 52 goldtop he had in 75 is the one he acquired in the mid-60s?

>> a Junior from '73 to date <<

finetuning: a dark cherry doublecutaway Junior from 73 to 78, a TV yellow one from 79 to the present,
and at least two singlecutaway Juniors, at least one of which was around in 79 and 81.
but if i understand the question right i think it's the standard LPs he's asking about.

Date: August 3, 2008 12:27

speaking of standard LPs ... i am so sorry i don't have a scanner!
i just got (finally!) a copy of David Dalton's 1972 book called just Rolling Stones
(subtitled an unauthorized biography in words, photographs and music ) and on page 58
there's a photo identified as a Dominique Tarle shot of the Stones' first Paris show (october 20th 1964).
it's not very clear, but ... [peering hard] ... that's the 59 sunburst LP Keith's got there, isn't it?!
if i'm not hallucinating, that would be the first time i've seen a shot of it from before the second US tour -
just three days before, but still! it would fit right in with the story that Keith bought it at Selmer's, not in the US.

if someone out there who has the same book and a scanner and the good will to scan and post the shot
that would be very very cool and i would be most grateful. and/or if any of our Guitar Connoisseurs who own the book
could have a look and tell me what you think ... it sure does appear to be a single-cutaway model, so it ain't the Epiphone!

smile: the book was supposed to be my bedtime reading last night, but when i saw that shot
i got so excited i couldn't sleep. blame it on the Stones :E

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home