Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Worst Stones show you ever saw?
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 17, 2006 11:39

skillzpetey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they have all been perfect in their own
> ways...except @ the civic centre (baltimore) in
> '69, simply didnt do sympathy or any other tunes
> justice

Is this because Jagger did a bit of Hey Jude at the end of Sympathy? The boot sounds good enough for me!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 17, 2006 13:09

I have seen all the Dutch shows since the B2B tour except the Vredenburg gig And i've seen them in Paris '03 Stade de France.

Ive enjoyed everyone of them a lot except the first Amsterdam Arena concert in '03. Keith screwed up the opening of Brown Sugar in way i thought never was possible. Ronnie came on stage and looked like he had seen water burning. The show just never took off after the opening song. Ronnie screwed up his solo on Wild Horses and Keith walked up to Ronnie and confronted him with it during the song. Then after the song they were still argueing in front of Charlie and Mick had to pull Ronnie away. The whole show i had the feeling that it could all go terrible wrong at any time. The funny thing was that i spoke to some people some time later about the show and they all thought it was a good show. So fortunately it is all just a matter of opinion.

Groningen '99 was also a bad show music wise. They just didn't play good during the first set. After Out of Control i got the feeling that they were finally warmed up. I was standing in front of Keith's mike by the b-stage. Normally i am in front in the FOS section but this time i was a little late in line so i "settled" for the front row of the b-stage. The sound was awful if you are that close but man did i go nuts standing so close to them. Great experience!!! So music wise it wasn't a good show but experience wise it was great as always.

ps. I never get it how you guys over in the states are so excited if you have a seat of 450 dollars half way the field. Becuase of the general admission in Europe i'm always in the first two rows of the field. It is luxury i guess...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Wilco Schepen ()
Date: February 17, 2006 13:32

Going from L (Kuip Rotterdam) to M (Ahoy Rotterdam) to S (Vredenburg) in 2003 was great, but going back to L again (Amsterdam ArenA) was horrible. They screwed up a couple of songs (most notably Brown Sugar) and the ArenA is the worst venue for a stadium show you can get, so that 1st show is easily my worst show.

Wilco

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 17, 2006 14:32

Groningen 99
Amsterdam Arenaatje 2003

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: February 17, 2006 15:26

Amsterdam 98 (actually five shows). Tracklists not bad (Fool To Cry, Crazy Mama), although I expected more (why four times Memory Motel, three of them with the same guest??)

But @#$%& this stadium! Terrible sound. I wonder why the VGPs are so good. My own recordings were bad too.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:21

stade de france 2003

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:30

July 8, 1978 Soldier Field, Chicago. Mick was braying, not singing. Horrible. Interesting that a number of different '78 shows have been mentioned in this thread. That seems to be the only "old" tour that is consistently mentioned.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:36

Roscoe Wrote:
> July 8, 1978 Soldier Field, Chicago. Mick was
> braying, not singing. Horrible. Interesting that
> a number of different '78 shows have been
> mentioned in this thread. That seems to be the
> only "old" tour that is consistently mentioned.

The '78 shows that get mentioned are the large outdoor events. On a tour that veered between tiny venues like the Palladium in NYC and the Capitol in New Jersey all the way to JFK and Rich Stadium in Buffalo, the Stones apparently had a hard time making the big ones work.

Fair to say? I mean, my copy of "Handsome Girls" suggests that there were a few hot nights along the way.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:42

good points, Reverend. I've heard nothing but raves about the '78 smaller shows and nothing but negatives about the stadium shows. They really hadn't worked their way up properly for a stadium presentation in '78, obviously. They did that in '81, though and have virtually perfected it over the ensuing tours.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:56

beast of burgk Wrote:
> Amsterdam 98 (actually five shows). Tracklists not
> bad (Fool To Cry, Crazy Mama), although I expected
> more (why four times Memory Motel, three of them
> with the same guest??)
>

well, the 5 shows were recorded for No Security, so they obviously intended all along to feature a duet with Dave Matthews on that song - hence numerous live versions to ensure that they had a version worthy (in their eyes anyway) of release

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:58

After rethinking, the worst show was one that never was. I made the trip from Dallas to San Jose, and the show was cancelled because Mick was sick.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:59

Gazza Wrote:
> - hence
> numerous live versions to ensure that they had a
> version worthy (in their eyes anyway) of
> release
>

what about their ears?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:15

another problem entirely - it was a crap choice of a great song that was otherwise performed very well

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:52

Never seen a bad one...

LE PAUL JAGGER wrote : "the worst was the PARIS 2003. IN the stade de france
the sound was horrible and the stones were cold and tired"

In my ears, sound was horrible only during the first three songs (BS,SMU,YGMR). Since "Don't Stop" sound greatly improved. Also the band was getting better and better, after it. My highlights: Marvellous Bitch and SFM, nice (and a bit strange) Miss You, "Killers" Satisfaction and JJF. I can't consider this show as a "bad" one.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home