Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Worst Stones show you ever saw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:20

twickers 2003
it never got me going,
maybe i was justin a bad mood..

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:20

sdstonesguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love how we can never have these threads w/o a
> fair # of people saying "Of my X number of
> shows"...
>
> We can deny it all we want, but we still feel the
> higher the #, the bigger & better fan we are.

Who's denying? I think # of shows attended multiplied by # of Stones-related products owned should produce the agreed upon metric.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:24

I'm a bit guilty too time to time...but have been trying to be better. Let's just say that someone had a thread here about 6 months ago of "how many have you been to". I didn't post...but I was surprised that only about 2-3 people who posted had been to more shows...esp. since I'm 29 (at that point the shows were really through 27yos).

On a sad note...I soon will not be able to trust myself...I hit twenty ten in 2 days. But...on a high note...I'll be married in 86 days & 4 hours!

Date: February 17, 2006 00:30

Speaking as an old-timer - never trust anone UNDER 30. You'll now be accepted into our circle of trust.

Date: February 17, 2006 00:38

I thought under 30 were the last of the non-conservatives. I thought after 30 I sold ideals & soul out for a tiny tax cut & spit on everyone poorer than me?

Man, now I'm really confused.

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:38

Probably the sars concert, liked ruby tuesday, rock me baby ycagwyw and the nearness of you though.Looked like they were very tired and the sound on stage sucked I think.

Date: February 17, 2006 00:51

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> I thought under 30 were the last of the
> non-conservatives. I thought after 30 I sold
> ideals & soul out for a tiny tax cut &
> spit on everyone poorer than me?
>
> Man, now I'm really confused.

You're not confused at all! You totally get it! Welcome aboard!

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:56

Worst ever - Philly 1978. The band was going throught the motions, the Vet was a filthy dump, and the weather sucked.
Close 2nd - Hampton Rosad Va. 1981. I saw this one on TV and got the boot.
Mick was bellowing, not singing, Ernie Watts was annoying at best, and I'll never forget RW hanging from a cherry picker and mugging when he was supposed to be playing his solo during YCAGWYW. You guys who rave about the '78 and '81 tours must be on acid.

Best: Any MSG show (I've seen 7 of em since '69) because of the feel of the place and how the band gets off there.
Atlantic City '89 ( 2 shows + PPV)
Philly Spectrum '72
Giant's Stadium '94 during a tropical storm
Hartford Civic Center '03? (Licks tour) -small arena, good friends, Long Trail Ale, Let It Bleed featured

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2006 00:59

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> I love how we can never have these threads w/o a
> fair # of people saying "Of my X number of
> shows"...
>
> We can deny it all we want, but we still feel the
> higher the #, the bigger & better fan we are.

Not at all. You miss the point entirely.

If youve seen, say, 30 or 50 shows, the likelihood is that you'll see a few more duds than someone who's only seen maybe 4 or 5 shows. Its also likely that having seen that many, its easy to have a jaded "seen it all" attitude

By stating that this isnt the case despite having seen a lot of shows, its merely emphasising the point that the Stones generally put on a consistently enjoyable show

I certainly dont necessarily think of myself as a bigger fan than someone who has seen far less shows than I have (On the other hand, I dont consider myself "less" of a fan than someone who's seen more - whether its because they've more money or freedom to do so, may be older or live in an area where the band play frequently)

If anything, seeing a lot of shows is a form of lunacy. I'm the first to admit it!

Date: February 17, 2006 01:03

Ok...how's this...I've seen A LOT...and none beat my Wiltern experience...which some of you here know about.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:06

I can honestly say I've ne'er seen a 'bad' stones show either..

Maybe though,a factor is that I've only been to see them 7 times so,am very appreciative at being able to witness the stones spectacle,and it has never failed to amaze!

Obviously the first ones have special memories -- Wembley 15th & 16th July 1995 -- up around the front area,following a pub crawl on the way to the venue,a "sick" leave for the weekend from work,and,with a friend who missed most of the show due to his constant skinning up of joints(before,during and after the gig)^ Loved every minute,even the 2nd show,when it rained torrentially before the show,cutting the Crowes set short..had to buy a new T-shirt at the stalls due to the severe drenching,but,'twas all good and the stones were magnificent!

Next up was 4 years later,June 11th & 12th 1999 again at Wembley. After a 4 year gap,just being there and soaking up the atmopshere was electrifying. Add to that they opened with one of my favourite songs(JJF),had great places up near the front,and,a moment I shan't ever forget -- Keef crooning 'You Got The Silver'* I had no idea going in what the set may be,so,as you can imagine,'You got the Silver' was an astonishing surprise*

Lastly were the 'Lick's extravaganzas -- Glasgow & both Dublin shows. Front,on keef's side for all three,and,seing them indoors,in relatively small venues was magical. Highlights are too many to mention,but,one would absolutely be Keef's "Long way to Tipperary" in Dublin,"That's how strong my love is" in Glasgow,"Nearness of You" in Dublin and Glasgow's opener -- after another 4 years gap between witnessing them live,they stormed out with a visceral "Street Fighting Man".

Looking forward to the summer shows!!!!!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:16

JuanTCB Wrote:
> Pecman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > January 14th 1998...MSG NYC.
> >
> > 1st indoor show on BTB tour...
> >
> > They were like Deers in a headlight...
> >
> > Keith played "How Can I Stop"...yikes!
> >
> > PECMAN
>
>
> I was at that show, too - I thought it was really
> weak until the best "Out Of Control" I've still
> ever seen - thought they caught fire after that
> and never let up. Best warhorses finale I've ever
> seen.

Never really thought of that night as "weak," but it certainly paled in comparison to the next two nights of the run. The aforementioned "Bridges" tunes were shaky, but they were also debuts and a tribute to the Stones' faith in New York audiences.

Also, the technical difficulties at the b-stage that led them to do "Little Red Rooster"--a slice o' heaven, I say!

The show I seem to remember enjoying least was at Giants' Stadium in 1994. It was the third of their four nights there and it just never caught fire. It was only the second time I had seen them and I had these amazing memories of Shea Stadium in 1989 (which may have been exaggerated based on my rookie status). I felt very let down by the "Voodoo" show, somehow...Of course, they more than made up for it by tearing it up during the next show at Giants. It was pouring rain and I think the performance was used on the "VL" video.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:21

Stevej0531, Gazza & JuanTCB,

I stand corrected...it was the second indoor show of B2B (not counting indoor domes with Stadium stage).

They really were out of their element that night...they hadn't played the Garden for 17 years (actually 16 years 2 months and 1 day but who's counting) anyway...
they looked scared shit until after the Keith tunes and then they loosened up...I agree with JuanTCB..."Lowdown...it seemed like nobody knew the song...especially all the phony Wall Street Brokers in the front rows with their side dishes...Out of Control was great and that kind of kicked it off...but the Friday show was better.

What dogged both concerts for me (I missed Saturday the 17th) and I still loved both shows better than any band I have ever seen is the Sound and the Stage weren't designed for indoor shows and the sound was so low...you struggled to hear and I had great seats...it sounded like they were coming out of a radio...but I've seen the Stones 18 times (8 at MSG) and to answer the question honestly...Jan 14th 1998 was my worst Stones show.

PECMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:28

Wasnt at those MSG'98 shows but a few people I know who were thought the sound was poor on night one but that nights 2 and 3 were amongst the best shows they'd ever seen (the audio and visual evidence of these shows certainly bear out how good they were)

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:31

Pecman -

I think I might know you.

Drop me an email - JuanTCB@hotmail.com

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 17, 2006 02:33

Mine was Washington DC in 72. Only because I was to stoned to enjoy it. smiling smiley

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: February 17, 2006 02:40

JuanTCB Wrote:
> Pecman Wrote:
> -----
> > January 14th 1998...MSG NYC.
> >
> > 1st indoor show on BTB tour...
> >
> > They were like Deers in a headlight...
> >
> > Keith played "How Can I Stop"...yikes!
> >
> > PECMAN
>
>
> I was at that show, too - I thought it was really
> weak until the best "Out Of Control" I've still
> ever seen - thought they caught fire after that
> and never let up. Best warhorses finale I've ever
> seen.

I really enjoyed this show. It wouldn't have occurred to me to call it one of the worst. Amsterdam Arena '03, though, I'm in total agreement aout that. I'll never forget not being able to recognize Brown Sugar!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 17, 2006 02:41

headly123 Wrote:
> Mine was Washington DC in 72. Only because I was
> to stoned to enjoy it.

What an effing shame!!!! The boot is great!! Didn't your mother tell you drugs were bad? As much as I like to drink, I NEVER do it at a show and (literally) piss away the whole experience.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 17, 2006 02:43

headly123 Wrote:
> Mine was Washington DC in 72. Only because I was
> to stoned to enjoy it.

you were at one of the greatest rock shows of all-time......proof is on the Jack Daniels boot (except for the naysayers that cannot judge the music by simply listening to it)

Date: February 17, 2006 02:46

AGREED Leonard!!!!! One of my fav. shows!

Date: February 17, 2006 02:51

DrPete Wrote:
> AGREED Leonard!!!!! One of my fav. shows!

Hey Pete....supposedly there was a bomb-threat that day and the Stones were on edge......might have added some x-tra tension to the show....thus a great, frantic performance......and with fireworks going off (July 4th) plus the bomb scare......adrenalin city!!!

Date: February 17, 2006 02:57

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> DrPete Wrote:
> -----
> > AGREED Leonard!!!!! One of my fav. shows!
>
>
> Hey Pete....supposedly there was a
> bomb-threat that day and the Stones were on
> edge......might have added some x-tra tension to
> the show....thus a great, frantic
> performance......and with fireworks going off
> (July 4th) plus the bomb scare......adrenalin
> city!!!

Hey Leonard, thanks of the info on the Cosmic Psychos. I just got "15 years.." and haven't stopped playing it. I have the rest of their catalog on order. Found that live cd on ebay much cheaper!! Still looking for the Eastern Dark cd. i Love the chase for new evil!!!

Date: February 17, 2006 03:09

DrPete Wrote:
> Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> -----
> > DrPete Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > AGREED Leonard!!!!! One of my fav.
> shows!
> >
> >
> > Hey Pete....supposedly there was
> a
> > bomb-threat that day and the Stones were on
> > edge......might have added some x-tra tension
> to
> > the show....thus a great, frantic
> > performance......and with fireworks going
> off
> > (July 4th) plus the bomb
> scare......adrenalin
> > city!!!
>
>
> Hey Leonard, thanks of the info on the Cosmic
> Psychos. I just got "15 years.." and haven't
> stopped playing it. I have the rest of their
> catalog on order. Found that live cd on ebay much
> cheaper!! Still looking for the Eastern Dark cd.
> i Love the chase for new evil!!!
>

you're one hungry r'n'r fan Pete......great.....i'm not sure if the eastern dark ep and 45 are on cd.....later on they released a live lp "on the beach".....but i remember it sounding not that great

Date: February 17, 2006 03:13

Amazon listed a cd Of Eastern Dark w/all their recordings on it and that's what I'm looking for. Ebay didn't have it yet. I DO need to try to get the rare 4 cd box from Japan of the Wildhearts. My NEXT project!

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: February 17, 2006 04:13

When I saw them in Oakland in 97 I think it was and I was far in the back on the floor. I remember loving it when I heard "Crazy Mama" but just felt far away from everything.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 17, 2006 04:29

philly 6-17-78 , the fans when gettin no encore bombarted the stage with beer bottles & rolling stone mag printed their equip. got ruined , that was cool 2 watch thou

Date: February 17, 2006 04:36

I would have to say Fenway #2.Shattered,Back Of My Hand,and She's So Cold were better than the first night but,nothing else to write home about.They seemed to step it up for the next show.

Posted by: skillzpetey ()
Date: February 17, 2006 05:25

they have all been perfect in their own ways...except @ the civic centre (baltimore) in '69, simply didnt do sympathy or any other tunes justice

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: February 17, 2006 07:18

I've got mixed feelings about the Sarstock.

While it was a great event, tons of wonderful people, and some awesome acts... I just felt like it had been built up so much. On that day, for me, AC/DC blew the Stones away. Maybe I was too far back or I was just tired by the time the Stones came on, but they genuinely seemed disinterested (almost annoyed for having to be there) and flat.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 17, 2006 08:40

The legendarily awful June 17, 1978 Philadelphia show at JFK Stadium.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home