Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Worst Stones show you ever saw?
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:29

Not trying to be negative - I'm just curious. And it's an interesting flip-side to all the discussions about the best shows, bootlegs, etc.

So, in the spirit of objectivity, what was the worst Stones show you ever saw and why?

Mine? The first Fenway show. I don't even know why - all the factors were there:

- tour kickoff in my hometown of Boston
- seeing my two lifelong obsessions collide - the Stones at the home of the then-Defending World Champion Boston Red Sox. Arguably the highlight of my 33 years on this mortal coil.
- beautiful summer night & I was juiced up and sloppy with some hardcore Stones-fan friends - and we had good seats, too.
- saw Keith & Charlie leave the Four Seasons that afternoon - I was properly psyched up!

I wasn't online much for the week before the show, so I missed the reports of the setlist from the final rehearsals, but when they opened with Start Me Up, it just seemed stale. Honestly, the only song of the show that really impressed me was "Out Of Control". And funnily enough, the best show I think I've seen was MSG '06, and I had crap seats for that. So it's not like I think they've lost it or anything.

Anyway, it was a great show compared to what most bands have to offer but as a Stones show, I'd probably give it a 6 on a scale of one to ten.

(also, I should ad that I was really spoiled with No Security and Licks - I'd only seen arena shows since Giants Stadium '97, so maybe it was being outdoors that threw me off a bit)

Anyone else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-16 09:37 by JuanTCB.

Re: Worst Stones show you ever saw?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:33

I like Fenway 1. I have it on DVD. A good concert, but they're not on fire as much as they are on Boston Opening Night 2002 IMO.

My worst concert was Copenhagen 1998, and that rocked like hell still. I have only seen them 2 times. Licks was best and B2B was worst. That's not saying much though, 'cause they blew Parken away on both occasions.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:50

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:

>
> My worst concert was Copenhagen 1998, and that
> rocked like hell still. I have only seen them 2
> times. Licks was best and B2B was worst. That's
> not saying much though, 'cause they blew Parken
> away on both occasions.
>
>

Copenhagen '03 was an incredibly fun show - very easygoing crowd - we all just sauntered up to front row at the corner of the catwalk - hardly waiting in line. very smooth.

You've only seen them 2 times?

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:59

Cologne 1st concert 1982, I think 4rth July or 3rd July.
Though the Boot of Stuttgart 1999 is outstanding I did not like the show and the place at all. It sucked, but that 's personal.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2006 10:02

little queenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Copenhagen '03 was an incredibly fun show - very
> easygoing crowd - we all just sauntered up to
> front row at the corner of the catwalk - hardly
> waiting in line. very smooth.
>
> You've only seen them 2 times?

Yep. Only two times. Amazing if you look at how many posts I have, and if you know how much I dig them. Copenhagen 03 was very good. I was up front too in Keef's side. This tour will bring my 3rd and 4th time I see them. Horsens (Gonna be the best show EVER) and Vienna (Hopefully. Need a ticket guys).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 16, 2006 10:17

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:

> Yep. Only two times. Amazing if you look at how
> many posts I have, and if you know how much I dig
> them. Copenhagen 03 was very good. I was up front
> too in Keef's side. This tour will bring my 3rd
> and 4th time I see them. Horsens (Gonna be the
> best show EVER) and Vienna (Hopefully. Need a
> ticket guys).

Is Vienna sold out?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 16, 2006 10:30

Vienna is not sold out, but there are no standing tickets available at the moment. Category 1 for 96.30 Euro is the only option right now. If I was to attend this show I would keep on checking the tickets available every now and then because standing tickets might actually turn up occasionally.

[www.oeticket.com]

Date: February 16, 2006 10:39

thanks - well, i have one FOS for sale at cost if anyone wants to check the tickets page.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: February 16, 2006 12:20

For me the "worst" one was Vigo 1998 (or 99?). Anyway, everyconcert has his bad moments (miss you, satisfaction, and other "new ones"). The best concert for me, the first time I saw them, in Madrid 1990, and then Santiago de Compostela 1999 (or 98?). This time, with you might as well get juiced as intro, and JJF as opening, was really great in a place like Santiago, in he middle of the forest, great crowd, great day...

Posted by: todd40fla ()
Date: February 16, 2006 12:29

in reality there has never really been a bad one for me......even when the stones are not on....seeing them has always been and will always be a great thrill for me.

but there has to be a worst.....for me i would have to say it came during the steel wheels tour in 89. i saw them two nights in a row in miami's orange bowl stadium...the first show...november 15th 1989.....it was a hot and humid night in miami...just standing there you would sweat...and it was just one of those muggy...uncomfortable south florida nights.

the weather that night definitely affected the way the stones played....keith even commented that he was suprised it was still so hot and humid in mid november when he took over the mike......by late in the show when they roll to the finish they were simply wiped out.

the very next night however the temps broke...and it was a beautiful night....perfect conditions.....and one of the best stones performances i have ever seen. also the final time i got to see bill wyman with the boys.....he was exciting!!!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 16, 2006 12:31

Saw only one bad show of them: El Mocambo 1977. It wasn't worth the flight.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 16, 2006 12:35

So weird you say that Potted Shrimp since the boot of the whole El Mocambo show has reached nearly Holy Grail status.

Said it many times here and elsewhere, absolute worst Stones Show for me is Cleveland 1978.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:00

There's no such thing like a bad Stones show!

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:04

the worst was the PARIS 2003 IN the stade de france
the sound was horrible and the stones were cold and tired

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:14

Oakland 89, I really didn't like the steel wheels tour at all, too slick, too many keyboards. I think this is the tour they sounded a bit vegas, They are much more gritty now.

Posted by: javier ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:32

The worst show for me was in Barcelona 11/06/76; they arrived 4 hours later, over 01:00 am, and Mick and Keith were very tired.
Other show, Madrid 16/06/90, was an excellent show, but Bill Wyman´s bass was very very high (also very high the sound of the group), and his sound hit our bodies hardly; oh yeah, I was a pain in my heart and my hears were ill. But it was a memorable show.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:32

July 4 1978, Buffalo.....absolutely horrible..embarrassing really,,i believe that the 'three' were wasted and incapable of performing as they should have

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 16, 2006 13:41

Paris second show 1990. Sat at the back of the stadium with a video screen to watch. At least I kept dry.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: February 16, 2006 14:21

Philly 1978-they sounded like crap.
Fenway 1 2005-I loathe the Red Sux and dont like Fenway at all.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: February 16, 2006 14:22

little queenie Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
>
> >
> > My worst concert was Copenhagen 1998, and
> that
> > rocked like hell still. I have only seen them
> 2
> > times. Licks was best and B2B was worst.
> That's
> > not saying much though, 'cause they blew
> Parken
> > away on both occasions.
> >
> >
>
> Copenhagen '03 was an incredibly fun show - very
> easygoing crowd - we all just sauntered up to
> front row at the corner of the catwalk - hardly
> waiting in line. very smooth.
>
> You've only seen them 2 times?
>
>

I've only seen them twice too, and I can't say that one of them was bad. They were both great...

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 16, 2006 14:34

Nashville 97. Extremely cold and windy. Not good for Keith or Ronnie's fingers. Wind blow the sound all over the place!

Posted by: rbagel ()
Date: February 16, 2006 14:37

Chicago March 1999 was it. The most corporate, stale, sterile show with Mick tieing his shoe during Sympathy For the Devil.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 16, 2006 14:39

The 1st Wembley Stadium in 99. Didn't get into it at ll

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 16, 2006 15:06

Ft. Worth '97
Why? I had "great seats", but they decided to move the damn stage out in the middle of the racetrack, so we were miles away. I was pissed after thinking I'd have primo seats.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 16, 2006 15:43

I always say that I would rather see the Stones on a bad night than almost any other band I can think of on a great night. But, some of the boots from the 78 tour sound terrible

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:24

not sure if it was a bad show, per se...but I was pretty disappointed with the San Jose '03 show. Had great floor seats and I swear the guitars were virtually inaudible for much of the show.

I've been pretty critical of the current tour due to lack of new songs and lack of chance-taking, but the one redeeming aspect is the sound system has been much improved over recent tours.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:30

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> Saw only one bad show of them: El Mocambo 1977. It
> wasn't worth the flight.

ARE YOU SERIOUS !!! you've seen one of the so rare club show of the seventies !!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:38

jeanmarie Wrote:
> Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Saw only one bad show of them: El Mocambo
> 1977. It
> > wasn't worth the flight.
>
> ARE YOU SERIOUS !!! you've seen one of the so rare
> club show of the seventies !!
>
>
>

Well, I didn't like all those rare songs. I mean: who's waiting for Worried live blues with Keith on vocals. I came to listen to Tumbling dice ect.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:40

Never seen a bad one out of the 36 I've been to

there have been a few that I didnt enjoy as much as I should have for various reasons which werent the fault of the band

If I had to pick one, maybe the 2nd Wembley show in June 1999. I was knackered after travelling up and down the country to see five shows in a week, and I thought the band kinda sounded a bit tired too (maybe it was just me, though). Still, by anybody else's standards, they were still very good.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:48

It is really fun to see how everyone's perception of a given show is different.

Stuttgart 99 is one of my favorite Stones shows ever, and I really liked Chicago March 99 !
I think that at least 30% of our perception depends on the seats or position in the venue, the neighbors, the weather, the fact of being tired, i.e. a lot of things that the band isn't responsible for.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home