Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Look at the Boston setlist - wtf???
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 14, 2006 22:42

TooTough Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I´m proud to be a setlist moaner, someone has to
> do it:
>
> 12 hits out 0f 20
>
> Jumping Jack Flash
> It's Only Rock'n Roll
> Let's Spend The Night Together
> Tumbling Dice
> Happy (Keith)
> Miss You (to B-stage)
> Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
> Sympathy For The Devil
> Start Me Up
> Brown Sugar
> You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
> Satisfaction (encore)
>
>
> just 3 new songs (out of 18 new ones)!
>
> Oh No Not You Again
> Rain Fall Down
> This Place Is Empty (Keith)
>
>
> 4 songs played regularly, with gaps
> Best part of the show, right (if you are a diehard
> f a n)?
>
> All Down The Line
> Midnight Rambler
> Respectable
> Get Off Of My Cloud
>
> only one gem
>
> As Tears Go By (played with drums?)
>
> All in all a setlist to moan. Boston has been
> played 2 times in a bigger
> venue 4 months ago.
>
> I wasn´t there, right. But I must say that I´m not
> even interested in
> hearing boots of that/those show(s), I know it
> sounds like 1997/1998/1999/
> 2002/2003.
> Same arrangements? Sure...
>
> Tumbling Dice with Bernard and Lisa doing
> WhooWhoos at the beginning, right?
>
> Night Together with piano intro? B+L doing the
> "Dada´s", right? No rough guitars, right?
>
> Respectable with "1234"-Chucky intro, right?? On
> how many more songs did he do it?
>
> Sympathy with synthi intro, right? Same since 1989
> (since 17 years!)
>
> Rambler? The Stones were just the Stones, right?
> Best song of the
> evening, right?
>
>
> Distorted guitars? On what songs? Rough Justice?
> Oh No,
> Not Played Again! I see. I have the bad feeling
> they are losing the
> edges again before coming to Europe. And here they
> will play even safer,
> because of really high ticket prices. "You can´t
> annoy those concert
> goers by an experimental setlist. They payed much
> and want to have ALL
> those hits".
>
> It would be great to hear that it wasn´t like
> this, but it was, right?
>
> Sorry to bother you, but now it´s out of my head.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> --------
> Barcelona, Paris, München, Berlin, Köln!!
>
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/14/06 16:32 by
> TooTough.

Only blot on the landscape is the crappy "Room is Empty". Keef ought to do Take It So Hard and Make No Mistake. By the time they hit Wembley he'll be playing Slipping Away and Happy. Hooray!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 14, 2006 22:56

TooTough Wrote:
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> -----
> > Too Tough,
> why do you even bother to
> > continue to read them? And why go to another
> show?
>
> 2 rather stupid questions.
>

Why do you consider those questions stupid? They are perfectly legitimate questions - if the setlists are such a terrible source of disappointment to you, why do you read them and go to shows? You are just going to wind up disappointed over and over again. Why put yourself through the grief? Instead of just calling the questions stupid, maybe you should consider them and try to answer them.

> > I can understand not being happy with the
> selist,
>
> You can´t understand me and can understand me?
>

I can understand someone who is not happy with the setlist, but my point is that you have gone way beyond unhappiness and crossed over into despair and despondency. Your viewpoint seems a bit extreme, which is what I can't understand.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 14, 2006 23:03

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
- if the
> setlists are such a terrible source of
> disappointment to you, why do you read them and go
> to shows?

I have to read them to decide whether to be disappointed or not.
After a 3 weeks break we all have expected more than what they offered
last night, let´s be honest. At least I am.

Why I go to the shows?
Because they are the greatest band in this world, being a part of my
life for 24 years now (I´m 37), and I want to be close to them
as long as I can afford it and they are around.

> Your viewpoint seems a bit
> extreme, which is what I can't understand.

Extreme is wrong, it´s a hardcore fan´s point of view. Deal with it,
as I have to deal with your´s.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 14, 2006 23:11

TooTough Wrote:
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> -----
> - if the
> > setlists are such a terrible source of
> > disappointment to you, why do you read them
> and go
> > to shows?
>
> I have to read them to decide whether to be
> disappointed or not.

I don't think you need to read the setlists to decide whether to be disappointed. I think you have already decided you will be disappointed regardless of what they play. No setlist will ever be good enough for you.

> After a 3 weeks break we all have expected more
> than what they offered
> last night, let´s be honest. At least I am.
>

I am being honest. Overall, I am happy with the Boston setlist. Why question my honesty? If I was unhappy with the setlist, why would I sit here and say the opposite? That doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2006 23:13

"Any setlist that contains two debuts is a reason to cheer because you know that is not going to happen at every show".

Well, okay. But isn't it sad that we've been reduced to the level of cheering if they deem to throw in two 'new' numbers?

(As Gazza said), we KNOW they can do better, after the better variety from last tour. We know they can mix it up more. Our expectations are generally higher.

It's hard to understand, especially with an album of new material, why they don't make more of an effort, ......why they don't try and make more of a Bang.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 14, 2006 23:32

Gazza Wrote:
>
> and to those who say that the reason some express
> disappointment is because of the variety of the
> Licks tour, then why shouldnt they? If a band can
> raise the bar to new levels with such varied shows
> on that tour, why not hope or expect for them to
> do something similar on this one? By not trying to
> be ambitious, its a step backwards

though i am one who liked the variety of the licks tour i would not say that variety is in itself a "raising of the bar". my expectations on the band is that they plunge into a song not that they just give it a try to show how huge their catalogue is or even to please the hardcore fans.

but i insist on the fact that disappointment on the setlist for the sake of variety is an abstract problem from a specific perspective

the POV of someone who can afford or has the opportunity time or spacewise to see the band live

as a german, TT, you're almost an "american" in this because Germany has always got a mini national tour with lots of dates.

maybe when I - hopefully - will be going to my fifth concert I will be sharing your perspective. By now, six months before my third concert in 16 years, i am hoping not that they don't play Honky Tonk Women but that they will play it tight, not stretched, not overwhelmed by either the plinky piano or the horns. Things you don't judge by the setlist.

There is plenty of songs in your list that i would love to see/hear played live but if they do I want them to mean it and not them to play as if they're following the record. If this is the case, gimme shelter or sfm or adtl because I want to get loose and bounce and dance and to do so i need a band that let loose and grooves

Date: January 14, 2006 23:42

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:

> have already decided you will be disappointed
> regardless of what they play.

Hey come on, if you can´t argue anymore, make a break.
Why my original post then?

> No setlist will ever be good enough for you.

The worst thing I have read today.

Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: January 14, 2006 23:52

lets just agree that "Star Star" would be a fantastic addition and should be on the set list, how about it

Date: January 14, 2006 23:56

lets just agree that they could play 22/23 songs

(to get each one of us satisfied is hard, but impossible with 20 songs)

guess this is how age comes in the picture

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 15, 2006 00:29

Hey Ya set list moaners, have you ever considered to start to buy Beatles records, Beatles boots and tickets to Beatles gigs... or maybe Eminem...
Hava a lok on the latest Boston gig set list and think.... can they play a better set list.. probably not...
Just slow down and use your brain for just a second... How many of them guys and gals on location at a Stones gig has seen da Stones more than one time.... how many of then guys and gals have more of Da Stones than 40 Licks in their CD collection at home in addition to Eminem, Snoop Dogy Dogy, Back Street Girls, Maria Carrsomething...
90% of them guys and gals at the gig do not know, understand what they are about to see. To them, Eminem is a music gig, Da Stones is a music gig, they do not understand the difference.......
I am a new guy to Da Stones, only been into Da Stones cince 1982, I only have seen 17 gigs, I only have 500+ elpees and even more of them new modern types of DeeCees... so I do not know much of them boyzzzzz

BUT, if I go to a STONES GIG and do not get JJF , GIMME SHELTER, SATISFACTION, BROWN SUGAR, IORR and a few seldom heard gems like SMU, I WILL COMPLAIN,

JanRichards
Of them Vikings
www.stonesvikings.c
blähääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääää

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 15, 2006 00:31

I think some of you go to the shows JUST to complain about something....they're too sloppy, they don't have the "drive", the set list sucks, the crowd wasn't energetic enough, the seats sucked for $65, why arenas and no clubs, ticketmaster is a rip-off, chuck lavell sucks, daryl is too fat, lisa is a whore, the horns section overwhelms everybody, I didn't get backstage, Keith didn't throw me a pick, there were no hot girls around me, the beer was warm, the pot had seeds,

blah, blah, f'n blah....

Boston was my 11th Stones show since 1989....the set list was awesome...of course, I'd love to hear a sit-down version of "Prodigal Son", or "Sister Morphine"...sure, I wish Keith would bust out "You Got the Silver"....but some things just won't happen..

try being happy w/ what you HAVE rather than being unhappy about what you DON'T...

in other words, listen to "Happy" and BE happy...or shut the EFF up and stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us who don't give a shite if we've heard "Tumbling Dice" and "Sympathy" at every single show...

I still f'n love it...

They've got live..if you DON'T want it, stop buying tickets that those of us who DO could be purchasing..

now...who's got Sticky's Bmore and/or MSG tix.....I need to hear Honky Tonk for the 13th time (Sunday, Boston will be the 12th..and guess what? I don't care!!)

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 15, 2006 00:49

They will never change what has become a money making formula. As long as they are selling tickets and fans buy them nothing will change.

Looks like if someone didn't see them on Licks tour, there is no change you will see them perform CYHMK.

Face it folks, they are a nostalgia band playing "golden olidies".

Although I'm sure it will NEVER happen, if they do another tour in 3 years my hope is to have Sir Mick announce at the press conference "This time we will play only 5 warhorses and the rest of the setlist will be on a 2 setlist rotation....with songs we have rarely or never performed in concert.

Slave
Winter
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Sway
One Hit to the Body
Let It Loose
Spider and the Fly
Parachute Woman
Black Limousine
She Was Hot
Undercover
Yesterday's Papers
You Got The Silver
Sleep Tonight
Saint Of Me
Out Of Tears
Country Honk
Soul Survivor
She's a Rainbow
Rip This Joint
Dancing With Mr D
Dance Pt 1
Moonlight Mile
Fool To Cry

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 15, 2006 01:01

I'm with Stickyfingers. There are plenty of songs I'd LOVE them to play more than anything. But I know by now that it's extremely unlikely so I'd rather assume they're NOT going to play them and be thrilled when and if they ever do instead of letting any disappointment get the better of the enjoyment I know I'll still get from what they do play. If I thought or knew I wouldn't enjoy hearing the same or similar setlist, I would stop going and find something better to do.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 15, 2006 01:01

I just got back from Boston, saw the show last night and I was NOT disapointed, even though there were the typical warhorses played! I DO agree with STONESCTL, however when he says the set list of 20 songs is TOO SHORT a list! HELL YES! It started in Boston in August 2005 with 22 songs, at both Fenway shows I saw, droped to 21 songs by Philly in October, now 20 in January 2006! NOT ENOUGH! On the up side, they played a blazing 2 hours, adding a personal favorite of mine, "LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER" and again playing a passionate Midnight Rambler and All Down The Line with the absolutely PERFECT As Tears Go BY! I am not complaining! Oh and Keith's beautiful " This Place Is Empty" was a welcome change and " Happy" was fabulous! I am still a very HAPPY follower of the Greatest Rock Band EVER!

Date: January 15, 2006 02:23

I'd love them to play the complete Sticky Fingers added with Let It Bleed complete song list and on top it of with the complete Exile....
Well, 10% of us would be jumpin of pure joy but 90% would go home dissapointed... hey I did not know one single song.... booooring = would not go go to the next tour = no money in Jaggers pocket = no more touring = no more die hard Stones fan that will get pissed of on the set list = good thing for a die hard fan = not so good for me as I like Da Stones no matter what they paly

hallloooooo

They have to do them warehorses. If they do not do them, then they will play for half full stadiums next time around. Halllooooo, wake up clock is ringing...,

One of them Vikings

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 15, 2006 02:33

One should cherish every Stonesgig one gets to see. Period.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 15, 2006 02:44

cherish is the word you use to describe?

Date: January 15, 2006 02:57

The Stones have hits that are now rare live songs as well.I don't understand why they played Let's Spend The Night Together because,it was played at just about every '97/'98 show.It would have been a better idea to play a popular song like Under My Thumb that was played far less often on that tour.Time Is On My Side has only been played once(in Japan)since 1982.Play With Fire hasn't been played on stage since early 1990.Hang Fire is on the same # of hits albums as Respectable and it actually gets more radio play.It is now 2006 and there is still a large amount of Exile On Main Street that still hasn't been played.Emotional Rescue,like it or not,was a big hit and never has been done in concert.The list goes on and on.They don't need to drop all of the huge hits,just drop one,play two more songs per show,add something interesting and there would be far fewer disappointed people.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2006 03:01

Would just lurv to hear 'em knock out a dirty version of Who's Driving Your Plane.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 15, 2006 03:24

Too Tough, you should have learned that a lot of people feel personal p'ssed if you moan about the setlist.

To be honest I can't stand that sh*t that they have to play the warhorses because people will go for a beer otherwise.

Those tracks only have become warhorses because they played them to death on each tour! That's why the average people don't know anything else. There are alone a lot of hits from 60ies with which they could fill easily the setlist.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 15, 2006 03:42

Its getting a little better, nice to see YGMR missing, but Rough Justice is the best song on ABB. Also man, Miss you??? Cut it out!!! Replace it with a classic like Paint it Black or something or better mix it up!!!

Date: January 15, 2006 03:49

Theif in the Night:
It is extremely simple:

Let's Spend The Night Together was a hughe hit in 196blllllllrrrrrp
90% of the consert visitors knows that song, including me with 17 gigs behind me and 500+ Stones elpees and 400+ vinyl singles in my collection. I want to hear a familiar song and so does the rest of the 90% of the crowd...
If they only would play the obscure songs that we "die hard" fans would like to hear, then they would not sell any tickets = no costs recovered = no gigs = no tour = no Stones = .....well, the only positive thing: you do not need to complain about the set list.
BUT, I would be dissapointed as I cannot get my SATISFACTION. That is one of the all time best rock songs ever done by any band anywhere in the world...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 15, 2006 07:24

What are you talking about Jan? You sound a little weird, how many times has 70% of the set list been played more than LSTNT? OK, I know the Stones don't dare to vary the list to much, which is too bad for them, but the sad fact is that the set lists are most of the time very predictable and boring, so knowing you play in Boston for the 4th time in a few months, what do we look forward to hear? Lets see how the crowd reacts to some creativity!?! Its getting there, but still far away from perfect. The sad fact is that this is their last tour, because who wants to hear this again and again and again...

Date: January 15, 2006 10:11

this is the most fuccking obsured thred ever, how the hell can anyone follow it

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: January 15, 2006 10:51

Give it a rest, fellas. It's NO use complaining about the setlist, since there's nuthin' you can do to change it anyway. The Stones are selling out shows ev´rywhere they go and the audience seem to dig what they get to listen to. So there's simply no reason to mix up the setlists really. If it ain't broke don't fix it it. You guys are just being selfish when ya wanna hear them obscure numbers that most people don't know of. It's like bichin' about the weather, it'll get you nowhere. You've just wasted a few minutes of your life writing down these silly and greedy complaints. Listen to the cds if ya want to hear them old gems and do something constructive rather than whining. Spend time with your wife and kids and go to church or just chill out, will ya.

Date: January 15, 2006 10:54

Jan Richards Wrote:

> ...
> Well, 10% of us would be jumpin of pure joy but
> 90% would go home dissapointed... hey I did not
> know one single song.... booooring

The show is never boring, the crowd is then.

Don´t you trust the great music they have in the vault?
Why do you think the crowd would go home disappointed?

I was at a Clapton show 2 years ago where he did´t play
his actual "hits", a lot of that Robert Johnson stuff.
I guess 10000of the 14ooo were just there to hear the
Clapton soft hits, but he played the @#$%& blues and
the people just loved it. 2 or 3 cream warhorses at the end,
a perfect night for a l l! Now imagine the Stones would just do it
with songs, Clapton never had the ability to write.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: January 15, 2006 10:56

The bottom line is that between 1989 and 2006 the Stones performed live very close to every song they should have. There are only three that come to mind for me which I wish they would add:

Around and Around
Mother's Little Helper
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby (standing in the shadow)

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: January 15, 2006 10:57

Jan Richards Wrote:
> BUT, I would be dissapointed as I cannot get my
> SATISFACTION. That is one of the all time best
> rock songs ever done by any band anywhere in the
> world...

Just give a listen to some of your vinyl again...there´s a lot more in there.

Date: January 15, 2006 13:12

i see that no one question How they play or would play songs

there's an interesting remark about one who review last boston concert. he says JJF is a good opener but he'd prefer to hear the "long" version that you don't get if it is the opener.

well, as much as I love JJF anyway, i am on the opposite side of the spectrum as i like better tight versions of the wh, especially this one.

so you see that stones fans can split not only between whs and obscure songs but also talking about The wh.

to me going to a stones concert is

a) a rare lifetime opportunity
b) (especially if it is in a stadium) a rock and roll event to jump and shout
c) (if it were a club) a thrilling occasion to get close to the band, jump and shout

maybe it sound strange to many of you but i don't see myself going to a rs concert mainly to LISTEN, i think i go to FEEL THE GROOVE, if anything, to hear their music with my stomach and soul (and butt)

hence why i don't care so much about what songs but how they play it

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 15, 2006 13:27

Rank Outsider is dead right that it's a waste of time and energy since there won't be any major changes to suit the likes of us. Unfortunately (an understatement).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home