Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Isn't this the 'ABB Tour'?!
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: January 14, 2006 11:45

Listen, I'm as happy as everyone on this board the set-list was juggled a bit in Boston last night. (I especialy like the addition of one of my all-time favourite Stones songs: Respectable) But following TPIE, no material from ABB was played. Considering that this is the "ABB tour", and that ABB itself is chock-full of material that is dying to be played live, I'm hardly going to celebrate a set-list that featured only 3 new songs out of 20. Not even Rough Justice!

Any thoughts?

Re: Isn't this the 'ABB Tour'?!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2006 12:01

Yeah I agree, would lurrrrv to hear some more of that punk like She Saw & Justice from the Banger but in the end it's their party and their songs so I figure their gonna play what they want...I'll lap-up what I'm served.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 14, 2006 14:41

Agreed, Nikkibong. I thought they would replace the ABB tracks with by other ones, like She Sa Me Coming or Driving Too Fast, but down to only three songs is a shame. Play Back Of My Hand again!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 14, 2006 15:59

Let´s Spend....in Chucky style with the plinkeling-piano intro, I guess.
Yawn. If they want to repeat the BtB tour then by doing Out Of Control and
Saint.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: January 14, 2006 17:48

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Listen, I'm as happy as everyone on this board the
> set-list was juggled a bit in Boston last night.
> (I especialy like the addition of one of my
> all-time favourite Stones songs: Respectable) But
> following TPIE, no material from ABB was played.
> Considering that this is the "ABB tour", and that
> ABB itself is chock-full of material that is dying
> to be played live, I'm hardly going to celebrate a
> set-list that featured only 3 new songs out of 20.
> Not even Rough Justice!
>
> Any thoughts?

You are so damned right, man....they should play at least 6 songs from the new album evry night !!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2006 20:14

personally I'm glad they dropped RJ (probably be back next show) - I really don't like it at all....but I agree with the overall sentiment - where the hell are the ABB songs?!!! tsk, tsk, tsk

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: January 15, 2006 14:14

This is not the ABB tour. This is the You Can't Always Get New Songs tour, because
all these people want to hear Brown Sugar and Great Balls Of Fire. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Same as Last Time.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 15, 2006 15:39

Well Mick could have played blues all night and Keith could have done a lot of country ballads and Charlie some great jazz standards and Ronnie some Faces traditionals if they were to play for themselves. But rember people pay hundreds of dollars to get Brown Sugar and Satisfaction and all those famous Stones songs. If they played 16 songs from A Bigger Bang and four songs from the past then a lot of fans would be disappointed.

Bjornulf

Date: January 15, 2006 15:46

Bjornulf,

That's not what I was saying; you're employing a "straw-man" argument. All I'm saying is that considering that this is the ABB tour, they would do well to actually play some songs actually from ABB. That hardly seems like an outlandish request.

Date: January 15, 2006 16:02

So what album are these songs from?

- Oh No Not You Again
- Rain Fall Down
- This Place Is Empty

And what album are these from?

- Rough Justice
- Back Of My Hand
- Infamy

If you went to one of the Fenway shows in Bosto, and then the arena show in Boston on Friday then you would have got all of these. Almost half of ABB...

Bjornulf

Date: January 15, 2006 16:12

bv Wrote:
> Well Mick could have played blues all night and
> Keith could have done a lot of country ballads and
> Charlie some great jazz standards and Ronnie some
> Faces traditionals if they were to play for
> themselves. But rember people pay hundreds of
> dollars to get Brown Sugar and Satisfaction and
> all those famous Stones songs. If they played 16
> songs from A Bigger Bang and four songs from the
> past then a lot of fans would be disappointed.
>
> Bjornulf

Hi folks,

BV you are again missing the point.

Why are you always so extrem ?...and many others, too..

If we critisize the setlist than not because they play the Greatest Hits at all...but we dont like that they do always play the same hits and that they, though they have enough space,
dont play more NEW tunes.

Again..if they play 7 GREATEST HITS, and rotate them, such as:

BS,JJF,SMU,IORR,TD,SF,SFM,GS,MY,Angie,Symphathie,PIB,..they may change 5 songs a night.

they still have 13 songs for:
NEW from ABB tunes: 6 per night.....RJ,BOMH,ONNo,RFD,TPIE,IWTL,SOL,DTF,SSMC,LIND,IF....they can change 5 songs per night.

still 5 songs for middle known, obscure, like: ADTL,RO,SSC,Bitch,19th,SOM,OOC,LIS,SWH,MR,...again 5 songs out of ten could be changed.

So, this is 33 songs I mentioned.....if they play 20 per show they may change 13 songs from one show to the other and we still have a typical Rolling Stones show with all the hits and evryone could be pleased....the hardcorefraction as well as the tourists as well as the between ones.

Some of you mentioned that the Stones did already play about 40 songs this tour..or was it 50 already?...
But they do not rotate them...if they would take those 40 tunes playd this tour and would rotate them like 10 songs change each night....than I would be pleased and satisfied.

I do not think that this is impossible to realize for the band.....

I am just wondering who in the band is to blame for boring, neverchanging setlists.

Is it the singer ? Sir Mick
or the guitarplayers ? Keith...
or the drum section ? Charles Watts...
or the director ? Mr. Levell

I am afraid it is Sir Mick who has got no balls.

Anyway...On with the show !!!

Cu in Barcelona

salar

Date: January 15, 2006 16:21

You have to be extreme to make the point. Let's leave it to the democracy. Tell me which of the following songs you could remove from the show - just one - and you would be happy still:

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
As Tears Go By
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
Happy
Miss You
Respectable
Get Off Of My Cloud
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy For The Devil
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Satisfaction

PS. These are the non-ABB songs from Boston Friday show. You have to get rid of one song. And everybody have to agree that song is a big waste.

Whatever song you would choose, there would always be someone who missed it and would say "oh no let's keep it in the set". That's my point. The Stones have 43 years of recording history to take care of. They show some respect to their "returning customers"...

Bjornulf

Date: January 15, 2006 16:38

bv Wrote:
> You have to be extreme to make the point. Let's
> leave it to the democracy. Tell me which of the
> following songs you could remove from the show -
> just one - and you would be happy still:
>
> Jumping Jack Flash
> It's Only Rock'n Roll
> Let's Spend The Night Together
> Tumbling Dice
> As Tears Go By
> All Down The Line
> Midnight Rambler
> Happy
> Miss You
> Respectable
> Get Off Of My Cloud
> Honky Tonk Women
> Sympathy For The Devil
> Start Me Up
> Brown Sugar
> You Can't Always Get What You Want
> Satisfaction
>
> PS. These are the non-ABB songs from Boston Friday
> show. You have to get rid of one song. And
> everybody have to agree that song is a big waste.
>
>
> Whatever song you would choose, there would always
> be someone who missed it and would say "oh no
> let's keep it in the set". That's my point. The
> Stones have 43 years of recording history to take
> care of. They show some respect to their
> "returning customers"...
> Bjornulf

Exactly...if you say they have 43 years and to many songs to choose....
than WHY always playing the same HITS ????

WHY ?
You will always miss several songs at any show...otherwise they should have to perform 50 songs per gig.

If you know this ( and the Stones must know it)...it makes no sense just rotating between the same 20 songs...which they do.

They can easily change 10 songs per night....and please the normal fan...he will get some of the hits...as well as the hardcore...who is happy that he will get a large amount of different songs while following the band from city to city.

salar

Date: January 15, 2006 17:34

So how come the crowd is going DEAD every time they play a song the crowd don't know? I think that is a clear signal to the band. "We want to hear songs we know" is what the crowd is saying. This is what you see if you go to shows. You may not see that if you read setlists on internet.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 15, 2006 17:50

bv Wrote:
> So how come the crowd is going DEAD every time
> they play a song the crowd don't know?

because most of them are corporate fans who only know the band's greatest hits perhaps?

that wasnt as much a problem on previous tours, because people who actually bought the band's albums could get into the shows...

"Stones fans" who pay $450 a ticket to see "their" favourite band, but who only know or like about twelve of their songs. Imagine that.

That speaks volumes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-15 18:37 by Gazza.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 15, 2006 17:55

Take out Miss You and SFTD.

BORING! It's not like they are playing a Get Yer Ya Yas out version of Sympathy.

Date: January 15, 2006 18:23

bv Wrote:
> So how come the crowd is going DEAD every time
> they play a song the crowd don't know? I think
> that is a clear signal to the band. "We want to
> hear songs we know" is what the crowd is saying.
> This is what you see if you go to shows. You may
> not see that if you read setlists on internet.
>
> Bjornulf

This maybe the case in the US...but I doubt the european fans behave in the same way...and my personal experience in europe ( I saw more than 30 shows since 90,)
is that people may even enjoy songs, which are not the HITS....if performed well.

salar

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: January 15, 2006 18:29

Why are some people getting so angry. I think the only point made here is that they have so many warhorses that the stones can make two different setlists contatining 20 songs with all warhorses. So more rotation would make it more interesting. There is no single Stones song that is a waste, BV! That's not the point.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 15, 2006 18:39

Wolter Wrote:
> Why are some people getting so angry. I think the
> only point made here is that they have so many
> warhorses that the stones can make two different
> setlists contatining 20 songs with all warhorses.
> So more rotation would make it more interesting.

exactly

the songs that get rotated arent the warhorses, which is the main problem

Date: January 15, 2006 18:47

Well if they take out Sympathy I would hate it so I want it. It is a very popular song for the entire crowd. And right now we are talking about the set list where they play now, that happens to be North America, right? Europe is noit until next summer, and that's another discusion.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 15, 2006 19:46

bv Wrote:
> Well if they take out Sympathy I would hate it so
> I want it. It is a very popular song for the
> entire crowd. And right now we are talking about
> the set list where they play now, that happens to
> be North America, right? Europe is noit until next
> summer, and that's another discusion.
>
> Bjornulf

What do you mean by that last remark? You really expect The Stones to shake up things significantly in the next months?

Date: January 15, 2006 20:01

Bjornulf, voice of the people. And he won't let logic, reason, or any standards whatsoever get in his way.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 15, 2006 20:10

Bjornulf,

I don't think the people who pay 100s of dollars to see BS and Satisfaction are fans.

This site is for fans.

The Stones are making $$$$$$$$$ from more casual rich people.

I'm a wee bit surprised that you are being an apologist for the corporate RS business approach.

I'm not a great fan of the new album but i'd think it a very positive thing for the band if they played loads of new songs. They would boost their credibility no end. They would at least be showing that they believe in their currency and are not a touring nostalgia act.

It worked on SW tour. And on VL tour. On BtB tour songs like OOC and SOM were often the highlights. They should try that with Laugh I Nearly Cried, for example.

The great thing about the last tour is that they added many smaller venues where the set lists were generally more adventurous and where the 'real' fans could get their RS rocks off. I guess that's the missing element this time round.

And in answer to your question about which song to remove from the set. I'd be happy if they removed the last six. I think most 'real' fans would have heard these so often before. It frankly astonishes me that fans on this board would not prefer to hear new songs or other gems in preference to these inevitable standards. (I'm not saying that the new/rarer songs should come in that position in the setlist).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-15 20:37 by Mr Wibble.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home