Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 10, 2024 00:23

Bastion
GasLightStreet
JN99
It may have been deliberate but sad all the same. So he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff. Keith's playing is pretty bad and it's terribly sad to me. He just cannot play much of anything anymore and he needs time to process what he's trying to do, or wants to do, and you just can't do that live. You can see it in any solo he attempts. There's no flow anymore, just a lick, often in the wrong key or with bum or not very good note choices, then a pause for a bar or two, then another lick or perhaps a few strung together but it's all very musically incoherent.

And gone completely is his signature rhythm playing, when he would effortlessly dance between rhythm and lead, mixing chords and licks and fills, and trading lines with Ronnie. That ancient art of guitar weaving just isn't there now. sad smiley

A part of what you say is true - the solos - but it's been that way since 1969.

Keith always played the riffage in Monkey Man. No idea where you get the idea of lead.

You're absurd.

They perform a song differently from previous tours and "he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff"?

And whatever other crap you ramble about.

He flubs the riff for Start Me Up many times yet this performance deems him essentially incapable of being a guitar player.

Get back on your meds.

I listened to it. It was perfectly fine. You're just spewing fake news.

Complete garbage.

No! angry smiley No it’s not true! angry smiley Stop it! You’re talking nonsense angry smiley
Everything is fine, just as it used to be, exactly like it used to be, like nothing had changed… wait… No! eye popping smiley Nothing has changed!

You stop! angry smiley Take your meds! angry smiley It’s you that’s wrong! angry smiley The Rolling Stones are exactly the same as they’ve always been, please sad smiley Please, everything’s the same sad smiley

It’s like the 70s, 80s, 90s. Everything is the same please sad smiley Rubbish! Nonsense! Fake!

Please, everything’s the same sad smiley

Please…

Please.

It's like move on people, nothing to see here.

Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2024 00:30

....and thee queen is bravely shouting ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: May 10, 2024 00:34

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
JN99
It may have been deliberate but sad all the same. So he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff. Keith's playing is pretty bad and it's terribly sad to me. He just cannot play much of anything anymore and he needs time to process what he's trying to do, or wants to do, and you just can't do that live. You can see it in any solo he attempts. There's no flow anymore, just a lick, often in the wrong key or with bum or not very good note choices, then a pause for a bar or two, then another lick or perhaps a few strung together but it's all very musically incoherent.

And gone completely is his signature rhythm playing, when he would effortlessly dance between rhythm and lead, mixing chords and licks and fills, and trading lines with Ronnie. That ancient art of guitar weaving just isn't there now. sad smiley

A part of what you say is true - the solos - but it's been that way since 1969.

Keith always played the riffage in Monkey Man. No idea where you get the idea of lead.

You're absurd.

They perform a song differently from previous tours and "he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff"?

And whatever other crap you ramble about.

He flubs the riff for Start Me Up many times yet this performance deems him essentially incapable of being a guitar player.

Get back on your meds.

I listened to it. It was perfectly fine. You're just spewing fake news.

Complete garbage.

There is room for everyone's opinions here GasLightStreet.

I guess I touched a nerve there...

Like I said, I'm truly happy people still enjoy it, go to the shows and think Keith's playing is fine, or is acceptable given he's 80. I just don't happen to feel that way and let my eyes and ears be the sole judge.

Date: May 10, 2024 00:38

Is anyone else astonished how unimpressed the audiences are, i know some gig's in the States can be a little more reserved but this is on another level, no matter how hard Mick tries to make them wave and clap.

Are they actually there to see the Stones or just film them with their phones.
Bob Dylan bans phones from his gig's, i can see why.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 10, 2024 01:51

Ooooh I’ve made royalty ranks

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 10, 2024 02:06

Interesting how different the perceptions can be. Especially based on YouTube clips.

Honestly, I don't care how Keith's recent playing does if is compared to 2022. Or 2006. Or 1972. Totally irrelevant and pointless. What I care is how he plays right now. And, jeez, he sounds awesome. Guitar art in its very best: damn, every bloody noise he makes sounds unique and significiant. Here and now. No bullshitting. Kids, do not even dare to try that at home.

This man re-writes the rules. He makes them. An incredible musician. There are not many people like him, people going beyond the scale. I feel lucky just to follow him. On with the show, maestro.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 02:23 by Doxa.

Date: May 10, 2024 02:36

Doxa
Interesting how different the perceptions can be. Especially based on YouTube clips.

Honestly, I don't care how Keith's recent playing does if is compared to 2022. Or 2006. Or 1972. Totally irrelevant and pointless. What I care is how he plays right now. And, jeez, he sounds awesome. Guitar art in its very best: damn, every bloody noise he makes sounds unique and significiant. Here and now. No bullshitting. Kids, do not even dare to try that at home.

This man re-writes the rules. He makes them. An incredible musician. There are not many people like him, people going beyond the scale. I feel lucky just to follow him. On with the show, maestro.

- Doxa

Doxa, iorr's most prolific gremlin.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 10, 2024 04:55

keefriffhards
Is anyone else astonished how unimpressed the audiences are, i know some gig's in the States can be a little more reserved but this is on another level, no matter how hard Mick tries to make them wave and clap.

You don't have to jump up and down, and scream a lot, to enjoy the show.

The average age of fans in USA during this tour is 50+ or so, they are not a bunch of fans like you see in Argentina, where they are half that age.

The show in Glendale/Phenix was great, most powerful of the tour so far, first the surprise first half, most fans will not hear some of those songs live, then the change in the 2nd part with the very powerful combo of Gimme Shelter and Paint It Black. I did not jump up and down and scream like some did in the 60's, but it was a great show, I am really happy I was there.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 04:56 by bv.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 10, 2024 05:10

Just a hint to those who run a campaign saying "Keith can not play anymore" and stuff like that:

THIS IS A STONES FAN SITE

If you don't have anything nice to say then we are not really interested. It is time to move on.

So far I have not used the RED BUTTON, and deleted posting access, but I will do so soon, simply because running campaigns is NOT TOLERATED on iorr, as per the posting policy.

Bjornulf

Posted by: llsbsk ()
Date: May 10, 2024 05:58

I am sorting through thousands of photos taken from the Pit in Glendale as well as some photos from the Band 2 concert on May 9. Hope to upload them over the weekend.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 10, 2024 07:07

I actually LOVE Listening to this show. She's Do Cold, Beast of Burden, and Monkey Man are highlights. Mess it Up sounds fantastic too. The bar for the tour has been set for me with this show.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 10, 2024 07:19

bv
keefriffhards

The average age of fans in USA during this tour is 50+ or so, they are not a bunch of fans like you see in Argentina, where they are half that age.

The show in Glendale/Phenix was great, most powerful of the tour so far, first the surprise first half, most fans will not hear some of those songs live, then the change in the 2nd part with the very powerful combo of Gimme Shelter and Paint It Black. I did not jump up and down and scream like some did in the 60's, but it was a great show, I am really happy I was there.

I normally dance my way through every minute of every show I am blessed to see. Now 71, I don't imagine things to be any different for me now at my NJ 1 and Philadelphia shows.

Posted by: Isolar ()
Date: May 10, 2024 09:37

steffialicia
bv
keefriffhards

I normally dance my way through every minute of every show I am blessed to see. Now 71, I don't imagine things to be any different for me now at my NJ 1 and Philadelphia shows.

We all age differently, though. My legs aren't great anymore, so I had to sit down a few times. I was in the pit just 5 years ago, so things change. But I still made noise! grinning smiley

Date: May 10, 2024 10:17

bv
keefriffhards

I'm pleased you enjoyed it BV, i agree the setlist was very good, i think European audiences tend to be more enthusiastic, at least that's how i see it.
The UK shows 2 years ago were electric, so exciting which lifts the Stones themselves because the energy inspires the band, also noticed a lot less people on their mobiles.
Enjoy the rest of the shows BV and i agree with you that people can still be enjoying the show without jumping up and down and making noise.

Date: May 10, 2024 11:28

Doxa

- Doxa

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".

Oscar Wilde

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 10, 2024 11:40

keefriffhards
Doxa

- Doxa

Oscar Wilde

All kudos to Oscar Wilde but there is no sarcasm in my post. I am just impressed how my favourite guitar player is doing today. Pretty hard to put my admiration into words, but I think I would describe his work, especially in this show, as a meaningful guitar playing.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 11:47 by Doxa.

Date: May 10, 2024 11:54

Really Doxa, really.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 14:01 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 10, 2024 13:02

I'm listening to the whole show through the link kindly posted before. The sound is pretty balanced and crisp for a boot yt video though a bit distant an I must say I am enjoying it very much.

I am into YCAGWYW and no skip yet. Not a cringe moment as I expected reading some comments. I won't go into the Keith quarrel, I'm with the majority here that see the signs of age and health in his playing without bitching about him being not able anymore. He does a very fine and smart job in many songs - both in rhtyhm and filling - without any illusion he's the player he was 40 years ago and before (iorr riff is rusty).

The show sounds pretty much like any other show in the past 5 or 10 years to my ears with no such evident sign of wear or degradation.

Angry they're still working on how to make it alive live, Mess it up also but it is not falling apart

I can see why people still go back home happy

About audience interaction: it must not be easy for Mick missing the energy feedback to feed back in the performance. that's my thought

Date: May 10, 2024 13:05

Doxa
keefriffhards
Doxa

- Doxa

Oscar Wilde

All kudos to Oscar Wilde but there is no sarcasm in my post. I am just impressed how my favourite guitar player is doing today. Pretty hard to put my admiration into words, but I think I would describe his work, especially in this show, as a meaningful guitar playing.

- Doxa

Yes. Keith is highly competent for his current job and gives his fans many great moments. No point in further comparisons.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 10, 2024 15:00

Isolar
steffialicia
bv
keefriffhards

We all age differently, though. My legs aren't great anymore, so I had to sit down a few times. I was in the pit just 5 years ago, so things change. But I still made noise! grinning smiley

The audience is definitely getting older and the US shows are known to have a more "reserved". One reason for this is the reserved seating on the floor which results in older wealthier people getting the front seats where in Europe or south America it's the younger more enthusiastic crowd that is up front in the general admission.

It's understandable that they are not jumping up and down anymore like BV said but but clapping along and waving the arms with Mick is the basic sign of a engaged crowd....

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: May 10, 2024 15:35

It's difficult to clap and wave while filming.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2024 15:52

Well I guess we can't really complain about filming too much since we're the first one to be hunting down stream and videos on YT but you have to wonder what happens to 99% of what's being filmed/captured apart from piling up on devices and on the cloud ;-)

As a side note I'm really enjoying that complete [www.youtube.com] taken from pretty far back as it gives a great overview of the stage and screens. Not a view I like to have when I'm at a show as you feel you're watching a performance on TV but here it works well.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 10, 2024 17:03

Can I just give a thank you to BV, Dean Goodman, Alwyn Welch and others for the fantastic reviews of this show and others, really enjoy reading them all with the incredible close up pictures.
Cheers guys.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 17:15 by keefriffhards.

Date: May 10, 2024 18:11

terrific photos BV, thanks

Posted by: Pvk2 ()
Date: May 11, 2024 00:57

It’s only R&R. Phoenix Pit B front of stage, runway
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 01:00 by Pvk2.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: May 11, 2024 01:05

I had the great pleasure of attending the Houston and NOLA shows. I hoped to experience AZ through video. Unfortunately I have not made it through an entire song yet. The phone boots just do not do the music or band justice. I’ll look forward to an official release of this tour. I’m now looking forward to NJ and taking in the east coast shows live. Stones are still the greatest RnR show by far.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 11, 2024 08:02

The couple next to me in the pit both videoed every song. They stood there very still videoing every number. They live together. Why were they both filming? I feel sorry for Mick looking out at a sea of cell phones pointed at him.

I dance the entire time, and I clap and wave my arms a bit too. But I am dancing, so my head is bopping up and down, because the Stones’ music moves me! I can’t sit or stand still to the Stones. I think the least an audience can do is show that they are enjoying the music. At least tap your foot!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2024 08:31

Over the years people have said about whatever criticism or bum notes - YOU WEREN'T THERE etc.

A phone can record just as many bad notes as good notes at a live show. The phone is not the issue, fidelity wise.

Look at the intro to Hyde Park vs the official.

A bit different. Amazingly different. And, ha ha, officially different.

Date: May 11, 2024 10:42

JadedFaded
The couple next to me in the pit both videoed every song. They stood there very still videoing every number. They live together. Why were they both filming? I feel sorry for Mick looking out at a sea of cell phones pointed at him.

I dance the entire time, and I clap and wave my arms a bit too. But I am dancing, so my head is bopping up and down, because the Stones’ music moves me! I can’t sit or stand still to the Stones. I think the least an audience can do is show that they are enjoying the music. At least tap your foot!

I second that. No doubt one can enjoy music just listening, but this is a Rolling Stones concert! Watching the video it is striking to see that people can raise their arms to film everything but not to clap at the end of the songs. really weird, and sad imho

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 11, 2024 11:06

The band's entrance on stage at Jazz festival is revealing. The audience was almost motionless, very strange. And certainly destabilizing for the band.

And in any case, the public is much more energetic in Europe.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 11:21 by powerage78.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home