Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Glendale AZ USA show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:12

This thread is for live updates and comments regarding The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour at State Farm Stadium, Glendale AZ USA show live updates, Tuesday May 7, 2024

Please tell us your pre- and post-show thoughts and comments here.

Please send your comments, reviews, links and more to: iorr@arena.no

Editorial reports from the show will be published here:

The Rolling Stones - State Farm Stadium, Glendale AZ USA show reports, Tuesday May 7, 2024

For the pre-show talks regarding this show please see the thread:

Glendale AZ (near Phoenix) USA 2024 - Stones travel and show info

IORR 2024 tour links:

The Rolling Stones North America Tour 2024

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 20:16 by bv.

Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:16

Enjoy the show everyone!!! It'll be awesome!

Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:19

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:27

Mick Jagger on building the perfect Rolling Stones tour: 'You've got to feel the energy'
Ed Masley
Arizona Republic

Mick Jagger is speaking by phone from New Orleans.

Two days earlier, on Thursday, May 2, the Rolling Stones did “Time Is On My Side” with local soul queen Irma Thomas, whose 1964 recording of that classic inspired the British Invaders to cut their own rendition that same year, resulting in the Stones’ first Top 10 entry on the Billboard Hot 100.

Jagger and Thomas revisiting the song together as a deeply soulful duet turned out to be an aptly titled highlight of a set that was, remarkably enough, the Stones’ first time to take the stage at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

Two days later, Jagger says he may go out and catch more music while he’s there — which he does, popping in on the festival’s Gospel Tent on Saturday afternoon — before he makes his way to Arizona for the Stones’ first metro Phoenix concert since the death of founding member Charlie Watts in 2021.

The Stones are playing State Farm Stadium on Tuesday, May 7. It’s the third date on the Hackney Diamonds Tour, named for the Stones’ first album of original material in nearly 20 years.

Boasting guest appearances by Paul McCartney, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder, Elton John and founding bassist Bill Wyman, who left the group in 1993, the album has been hailed as their best work since “Tattoo You” or “Some Girls,” depending on the individual music critic’s level of enthusiasm.

Before the interview gets underway, the singer has a question for the interviewer.

“How hot is it there?” he asks. “I remember the last time, it was warning you not to go out. Of course we did.”

Jagger laughs, as he does easily and often in the course of a 15-minute conversation that despite the actual presence of a phone never feels like he's phoning it in.

The man is unerringly affable, endearingly self-aware, impressively candid and refreshingly down-to-earth for one of rock and roll’s defining icons, widely held to be its greatest front man, a master of phrasing and a criminally underrated lyricist to boot, all while still doing stadium tours at 80.

Here’s what else he had to say.

Mick Jagger on introducing 'Hackney Diamonds'

The videos I've seen on social media from Jazz Fest and opening night have been amazing. Is the feeling you get from doing what you do on stage any different today than it was in the ‘60s or ‘70s?

Well, yeah, I mean, of course (laughs). You were younger and more crazy, more excited. And you were new. You weren't like treated like legends and all this. But you're the same person doing the same thing, even doing some of the same songs, so in some ways, it's the same. But it's a different time in the world, so there's a different vibe. It's the same, but only different, yeah.

How does it feel to have new music in the set?

Actually, really great. I love playing the old songs and all that. But it's great to be able to have something new, because you haven't done it before. It's a challenge to you to get it over to the audience and see if they like it, to see if they want to hear it.

It’s easier in a smaller place to play new songs. It's more difficult with a stadium crowd because they want to hear you know…. "Oh, I've come here to hear 'Paint It, Black'” “When are they gonna play 'Honky Tonk Women'?"

Are they gonna really like these songs? Are we gonna play them well enough? We haven’t played them that many times. We've only done “Angry,” like, three times, compared to “Paint It, Black.” (laughs) You go, 'Ugh, I made a mistake! Oh God.’ So yeah, it's challenging, but I enjoy it.

I would love to do more. We're doing three. I'm sort of changing them around, playing the three or four that are the most well-known. I'd love to put some others in, but there's only so much you can do, as I said, in a stadium. Red Hot Chili Peppers have got a new album. They're on tour and they're doing four songs. And I think we're on the same page here, when you're playing a big show. It's about all the audience can really take. (laughs)

Mick Jagger on being back in the studio with the Rolling Stones

How did it feel to get back in the studio and work on new material?

Oh, I loved it. It was great. I mean, I had a lot of songs I'd done during lockdown. I had a lot of time to write. So I had a lot of different kinds of songs and was glad to get them finally down. I thought, “When are we gonna get these songs down?” And it actually was really quick and fun and quite enjoyable. I like being back in the studio doing new things.

How do you decide “All right, it's time. Let's get in there and make an album”?

I told this story when the album came out so I don't want to repeat myself too much. But I said to Keith, you know, “We've just gotta go make an album.” I didn't say, “I don't want to tour unless we have a new album.” But I said, “It would be better to go out with a new album when we next go on tour. So let's go do an album.” Keith said “Yeah, absolutely.”

We always used to have a deadline, you know? Like you guys at newspapers. You gotta write that story. And it's gotta be in here by this time. So I said, “We have to have a deadline.” Because otherwise we just keep going in the studio but we don’t finish anything. So everyone was down for that. And then we did it and we made the deadline. It all happened according to plan

That's great. Were there specific goals you wanted to achieve artistically with this record?

Well, I wanted it to sound like a record made in 2024. The temptation with an old band is to go in and rehash something you've done before. And of course, the band is still the band. That's why I always say, “It's still gonna sound like the Rolling Stones, no matter what happens.”

But I said, “When you hear it, it's gotta sound like a record that's made by a rock band in this era,” you know? That crispness. If you listen to, say, a 1970s Rolling Stones record compared to this, you might love it because you've listened to it hundreds of times and that's the sound you like. But it's different, you know what I mean? It's a different period of sound.

It's much crisper and you can hear everything more clearly. But it's still got the energy level. To me, the energy level in a rock band is the most important thing. You've got to have that. You've got to feel the energy. That's a big part of it. And you've got to hear what everyone's playing.

Mick Jagger on working with Paul McCartney on 'Hackney Diamonds'

It's definitely got that energy. What was it like to work with Paul McCartney on this record?

Oh, it was great fun. We've all known Paul a long time. We worked in the '60s a little bit. He sang vocals with us and stuff. I've played with him in his house. Ronnie (Wood) has played with him a lot. And Andy Watt, the producer, was doing some work with him. So it was very fortuitous.

That's LA, you know. Next door there's Lady Gaga, Dolly Parton, Paul McCartney. It was great having him come by and he played great on "Bite Your Head Off."

Mick Jagger on losing Charlie Watts and recording with Bill Wyman

This is your first time in Phoenix since Charlie died. What was it like to sort of dust yourself off and get back to the music after losing someone that much at the core of who the Stones are?

Well it's very hard, you know, having Charlie since we first really started. I played with Charlie before the Rolling Stones existed. I played with Charlie as a singer in the Alexis Korner Band. He was playing the drums and I was the singer. Keith was sometimes playing with me. Sometimes he wasn't. So it was a difficult period to be without him.

But, you know, we decided to carry on. We had a tour planned. And Charlie said, 'You should go and do the tour,' you know? 'Go and do it.' So we did. That was tough, you know, doing it. Now, having done a tour with Steve (Jordan), we're kind of into that. But I miss Charlie. I look around and he's not there. But he is on the record. And we've got some other tracks he's on as well that we haven't released yet. So, you know, he's here.

One of the Charlie tracks has Bill Wyman on it. How did it feel to have him come in and kind of complete the circle?

That was fun because we had this track with Charlie, and Andy and I said, “Well, let's marry up the old rhythm section.” It does sound a bit more like the old Stones, that particular track, “Live By the Sword.” It sounds slightly different from some of the others. But it's great. It's a different feeling.

Mick Jagger on building the ultimate Rolling Stones setlist for 2024

I love that you guys started doing “Out of Time” recently. I've always loved that song. What brought you back around to that?

I've always loved it. But the audience in America doesn't seem to know it as well as the European audience. So I think I'm going to give it a miss.

Uh oh. So we're not gonna hear that one in Phoenix?!

Maybe not.

Aw man....

In Europe, they all sang along and everything. Here, they don't seem to know the song, you know? I mean, it's not a particularly well-known Stones song. It got a bit of popularity because it was in that (Quentin) Tarantino movie as a playout song. But they don't seem to know it. I put it in the front of the set, or near the front. And everyone's looking around like, “Ehh, what's this?” I don't know. I like to switch the set around. We've only done two shows. And I don't like doing the same set every night.

How do you go about putting a setlist together at this point?

Well, I have a list of all the numbers we rehearsed, right? We rehearsed for four weeks. So then, I go through all the ones I think we have to do, that people expect, that if we didn't do them, people would go, “Well, I came here to see ‘Honky Tonk Women' and they didn't do it.” And of course, I enjoy doing it. It's not a problem.

But then, the front half of the show, I kind of switch around a bit, just to keep everyone on their toes and interested with different ones on different nights. And now I've got to incorporate songs from the new album, which we rehearsed quite a few of them. And as I said before, we're only doing three so I'm switching it around a bit.

Are there other older songs you've never done live that you'd like to get around to someday?

I've tried to hit everything (laughs). I mean, I've been through the whole thing. And we do really weird ones. I mean, we did “I Wanna Be Your Man” (an early Stones single written by Lennon-McCartney) in Liverpool. That was really funny. We do that kind of thing from time to time out of the blue.

Mick Jagger on the Rolling Stones, the Beatles and rock & roll vs. pop

Speaking of "I Wanna Be Your Man" and Paul being on this record, there's been this ongoing debate for decades where Stones fans argue that the Stones are proper rock and roll and the Beatles are a pop band. What's your take on that?

Well, we're both pop bands, really. In the ‘60s, if you listen to the Rolling Stones, of course we played more blues than the Beatles. And The Beatles used to play more Tamla/Motown covers. We were all cover bands. But we both play pop music. We play blues. The stuff we played in early '60s, it's all influenced. But it's pop music.

“Time Is on my Side,” that we did here, that’s a pop song, you know what I mean? "Let's Spend the Night Together" is a pop song. "Ruby Tuesday" is a pop song. "Angie" is a pop song. Of course, we play rock. The thing about the Rolling Stones, though, and the Beatles, is there are very wide musical influences. Both bands incorporated a lot of styles into their music. Country music, blues, R&B, English music. So we had a very broad range, both of us.

It's difficult to pigeonhole either band, in my opinion. But obviously, the Rolling Stones are the more blues band, right? But we always were a pop band.

You know, one of the things that was so great about the era you guys came up in and defined was that being in a rock and roll band could mean playing any of those types of songs that are on any of those albums either of your groups recorded in the '60s. It seemed as though the possibilities were limitless.

We played Elizabethan songs like "Lady Jane" and "She's a Rainbow." "Paint It, Black" is not really a rock song. It's our most popular streamed song and it's like a Middle East-influenced pop song.

At this point, Jagger is reminded that the interview was scheduled to conclude five minutes earlier.

"Hey listen, I've got to leave you; thank you so much," he says.

And with that, he's off to hear some gospel in New Orleans, time still very much on his side.

azcentral

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-07 20:28 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:27

My 21 year old nephews first Stones Show! I was also 21 the first time I saw the Stones. Hope everyone has a great time!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:34

so out of time seems to to be out of the set list

maybe 19th nervous breakdown could takes its place

i think the us americans will know that onewinking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 7, 2024 21:00

By The Rolling Stones: "If you’re in Glendale AZ for the Stones show tonight be sure to head to Satisfaction Way! The city has ceremonially renamed a portion of 95th Avenue in Westgate Entertainment District in honour of the Rolling Stones being the first act ever to bring three separate stadium tours to State Farm Stadium and Glendale! Glendale’s Mayor Jerry Weiers has also proclaimed today ‘Ruby Tuesday’! See you tonight!"

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: May 7, 2024 21:16

have a good one!

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: May 7, 2024 22:31

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2024 22:33

hmmm...so what I also gathered from that interview is only 3 songs likely moving forward from HD.

So it "appears" that we're not going to get "Tell Me Straight"...extrapolating that to mean only one Keith song and meaning the 18 song set list is intentional?

I think we'll have answers in a few hours!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2024 01:24

It's odd about "Out of Time", I doubt the average punter in Europe knew the song any better than the average punter in the US... maybe it was helped by the fact it was the only "new" song (with LIAGT) whereas here the audience has to deal with the HD tracks ? Or maybe people in Europe like to singalong more ?

It's good to hear they have more material with Charlie on it, well it's obvious they have, but releasable material. Mick didn't boast about another record being 75% made though.

With such a delay since HD was released I have a hard time associating this tour with the album, like the SW/VL/B2B or even ABB tours, possibly because there have been so many "nameless" tours since 2012.

Anyway, all those going, have a great show !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Musicwinn ()
Date: May 8, 2024 01:28

They play 3 songs from HD, not but not just the same 3 songs. Mick said he will alternate between the songs on the album

Date: May 8, 2024 01:43

I think Sweet Sounds is here to stay.

Angry hasn't gone over as well as they would like it to.

Wide World they got a better grasp of than Mess it Up.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 8, 2024 02:50

I think this is quite an important show for this tour. Show #3,

After opening night where Keith was apparently recovering from Covid - I was at that show and I thought it was a really good show, but I have to admit being disappointed that Keith only did one song. Like many of us, I was looking forward to hearing 'Tell Me Straight'.

And then Nola was an afternoon show and also a festival show with two guest spots.

Tonight is back to the usual stadium format, most likely without any special guests.

Will Keith do two songs? If he just sticks with one song will he do 'Tell Me Straight'?

Judging from Mick's recent interview posted up thread, it looks like 'Out Of Time' is, err... out of time, unless they give it one last try tonight.

So we could have one or two new songs in the setlist.

Fingers crossed for a great show, with Mick, Keith, and Ronnie firing on all cylinders!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 03:37

Mr. Jimmy-100% agree with you. This is the best show yet to "gauage" what the rest of the tour will look like. Really hope they keep OOT and some deep cuts in, but I doubt it.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 8, 2024 03:39

if they play out of time in an actual stones town.....it will go over just fine

it will reappear in east rutherford

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 8, 2024 03:39

Feel like tonight will have LSTNT in the OOT spot.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: May 8, 2024 04:00

Did anyone catch the soundcheck

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: May 8, 2024 04:01

Are they line up pit a and b and g.a. area in a different entrance like houston??

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 8, 2024 04:28

kkhoranstoned
Did anyone catch the soundcheck

Sound check songs were shared on Shidoobee (vote song, ballad, and rotating Diamonds).

Date: May 8, 2024 05:05

Date: May 8, 2024 05:08

Date: May 8, 2024 05:09

Posted by: BlueLands ()
Date: May 8, 2024 05:14

Stay safe everyone! Hope everyone has fun with Electric Mud!! haha

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 8, 2024 05:16

Maybe if they actually played 25 songs a show over the last 3 decades people would recognize more songs than the stale dozen or so that get overplayed tour after tour. It's actually a cop-out.

Date: May 8, 2024 05:19

Electric Mud
[www.facebook.com]
[www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 05:47 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 8, 2024 06:12

Any update

Posted by: Pvk2 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 06:14

Carin Leon on now…

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 8, 2024 06:15

mariano
Any update

smoking smiley

Date: May 8, 2024 06:17

Keith enjoys Electric Mud performance via IG Stories.
He changed his profile pic with his nephews smileys with beer

[www.instagram.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 06:22 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home