Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2023 18:26

For me, it just sounds sterile - the whole thing. I cleared time out of my schedule and listened to it start to finish upon receiving the CD. I was excited to have a new album to listen to after 18 long years. There are some standout tracks no doubt - WWW & LBTS being the absolute gems, and TMS could have been one but it's too short and lacks really any lyrics. It's more of a throwaway if ever there was one, but I do LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the line is my future all in the past. Just brilliant!!!! But the rest is good at best. I loathe the part where Mick asks Paul to play some bass when he's already in the middle of his solo. It should have been at the beginning. Don't see the epicness that all love about SSOH, and I dislike the extra 2 minutes tacked onto the end. To me, that would have been better to blend into a boogie track ala something on EOMS. Angry is better'n I expected, but it is no RJ, which for me is a modern-day sounding Stones classic. For as little as I go back to ABB these days, there are more songs on that album that I find memorable than I do on HD.

I get that HD was supposed to sound like a contemporary Stones album for the ages, and it definitely sounds contemporary. I think that might be part of my problem with it. It sounds like a buncha modern drivel that some 20-year olds coulda done. I don't get any emotion with it. I don't feel an attachment to a single song aside from my TMS, but by the time that connection builds up, it's over, which sucks. For me, I just find the album to be 'authentic' if you will.

I would much rather listen to Whiskey Myers' stuff on repeat for the 100000x time this year - a band I only discovered about 5 months ago - than to try and see what I'm missing with HD. Whiskey Myers sound real and authentic. There's an honesty and a bit of a rawness to their lyrics, and the music is simply amazing.

I don't know where HD will end up ranking for me in the grand scope of things, but it will be well down the list, mixed in somewhere along IORR, ER, U, all of which are just a tad ahead of most of their 60's albums. But then I have a very different listing of Stones best albums than the average fan on this board, so there is that!!!! VL @ #1, and DW would most likely make the Top 10.........

One must remember, I have basically been a fan nearly entirely in a Bill-less era. SW was my first album, and his departure really didn't mean anything to me at the time other than the bass player left. OK. The album was pretty good, but by the time VL came out with its HUGE sound, wall of guitars, and hard hitting drums and bass - holy F!!! It was like light years ahead of SW. And similarly with B2B, the beats and bass were equally pronounced - more so than Sw for me. At the time, while I read the liner notes, I didn't study them to the degree of memorizing who was playing on which track on each album and what not. I just knew that the bass sounded more and bigger on the albums that followed. And that's not taking anything away from Bill, for whom I've come to enjoy and respect. I love the new track with Bill - more so than the one on the Ben Waters' tribute album from several years ago.

None of this is an attempt to diminish or take away from anything Bill accomplished. I just am not stuck in the Brian, MT, Bill, RW era's like some others is all. Though the loss of Charlie is devastating and noticeable I think. And maybe that feeling is the same that others feel toward the end of whichever era is one's favorite???

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2023 19:25

"I just am not stuck in the Brian, MT, Bill, RW era's like some others is all."

Don't take this the wrong way Voodoo, but I kinda feel sorry for you in that you're suggesting that because we enjoy the Brian or MT era's for instance, means we're "stuck". I do not believe you know what you're missing. In my opinion, that also comes out in your view of "the 60s albums".

I understand that everyone's taste is different and it's great you've found a connection to the Stones latter day material. It's just sort of interesting that you're suggesting a lot of us are stuck in different eras, when I can see your "era" is Steel Wheels through ABB. 4 albums. Four albums where they tried to recapture what they had during their golden eras, with varying degrees of success.

I guess a lot of what we like comes from when we became fans. For me it was via She's So Cold and then the Emotional Rescue album followed by Some Girls, Hot Rocks, Sucking in the 70s and Tattoo You. I love that era, but I also love everything before and to Undercover. They were peerless in terms of output over 20 years, 63-83. Since then it's been a bit hit and miss - lots of still great output but no where near their previous successes - but with HD they seem to have found a consistency of their material and able to sustain it at a very high level; and they are having fun.

It's too bad you're not enjoying it on one of your 15 copies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-21 23:12 by treaclefingers.

Date: December 21, 2023 19:27

Spud
That sums up the problem...

...in the modern sanitised musical world, you just couldn't get away with Exile on Main Street.

A great shame...but there it is.

The pendulum has swung massively in one direction and will return the other way when people look for something "new".

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 21, 2023 19:59

It’d be cool if the next album was produced by someone other than Watt. I like HD a lot (hovering around the top 10-12 all-time Stones albums), but also understand the criticisms it has received. I’d like a different vibe from the next album than HD part 2.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 21, 2023 20:13

treaclefingers
Spud
That sums up the problem...

...in the modern sanitised musical world, you just couldn't get away with Exile on Main Street.

A great shame...but there it is.

The pendulum has swung massively in one direction and will return the other way when people look for something "new".

"A great shame ... but there it is." No, that's not true. That might be the impression you get if you think the best music is to be found in the charts. There's a lot of modern music out there that makes Exile sound like plastic surgery clinic. A lot of people experiment with all kinds of sounds, dirty, industrial, broken, apocalyptic. Don't take what you hear on the radio for the music of a whole generation.

(And the Stones could have with younger engineers and producers who do analog-stuff and produce warm sounding records, if the reference point wasn't the commercial pop way of doing things.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-21 20:15 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: December 21, 2023 20:13

treaclefingers

LOL.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 21, 2023 21:27

Christmas number 1 in uk

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 21, 2023 21:43

I like every song on the album. IMO I think it is awesome. Just a fun album to listen too from the beginning to the end. The Stones know how to rock and like Keith claims they never lost the roll. Ain't this album what Rockin' music is all about.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 21, 2023 22:11

yorkshirestone
Christmas number 1 in uk

[www.officialcharts.com]

...it was in november...now we're waiting a second number 1 , nine weeks after the first week... ...!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 21, 2023 22:18

I've listened to HD a few more times since my first post about it (many pages back) and while it remains a lower tier album for me in their overall body of work, its energy is undeniable, IMHO.

"Mess it Up" is such a great song, and "Get Close" has grown on me. "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" remains my favorite and still seems as though it was tacked on. The feel and production just seems so different.

There's a couple songs I would LOVE if they were instrumentals because the lyrics just bring them down. The musicianship on "Dreamy Skies" is so great but lyrically it just feels like a new "Hideaway" from Mick. "Live by the Sword" and "Bite My Head Off" (<---maybe written same day as "Angry", thematically?) are such great rockers with drive but it's again the lyrics that crash things for me.

Ultimately though, the energy is amazing.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: December 21, 2023 22:26

liddas
It is easier to find cross-party consensus in the Italian parliament than in a group of Stones' fans.

There is a reason for this.

Music fans in general don't like changes, and the Stones changed continuously along their whole career, following different trends, replacing key members, compromising between opposites, including in the mix new instruments, technologies etc.

As a result we have fans of the BJ era, of the MT era, of the RW era, of the BW era, of the R&B era, of the pop era, etc. etc.

How can HD make an exception?

In fact, given the above premises, I find it incredible that so many here on IORR love the album!

C

Not sure the Stones change continuously, it's been the same tour same songs same format since 89'
Only difference is each tour brings a more tired version of the 89' tour.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: December 21, 2023 22:28

Obviously there were edits and things fixed in the mix, but are there any playing credits listed for the live at the Racket tracks? Some of the rhythm guitar playing seems to be more consistent and precise than I'm accustomed to hearing from Keith? What's everybody hearing?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2023 22:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 21, 2023 23:12

...on Amazon.com the double cd don't seem issued in USA...? ( 19 january ? )

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 21, 2023 23:25

jp.M

USA...? ( 19 january ? )

Yes, US-release is January 19, 2024 - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] .

Date: December 21, 2023 23:52

treaclefingers

Don't take this the wrong way Voodoo, but I kinda feel sorry for you in that you're suggesting that because we enjoy the Brian or MT era's for instance, means we're "stuck". I do not believe you know what you're missing. In my opinion, that also comes out in your view of "the 60s albums".

I understand that everyone's taste is different and it's great you've found a connection to the Stones latter day material. It's just sort of interesting that you're suggesting a lot of us are stuck in different eras, when I can see your "era" is Steel Wheels through ABB. 4 albums. Four albums where they tried to recapture what they had during their golden eras, with varying degrees of success.

I guess a lot of what we like comes from when we became fans. For me it was via She's So Cold and then the Emotional Rescue album followed by Some Girls, Hot Rocks, Sucking in the 70s and Tattoo You. I love that era, but I also love everything before and to Undercover. They were peerless in terms of output over 20 years, 63-83. Since then it's been a bit hit and miss - lots of still great output but no where near their previous successes - but with HD they seem to have found a consistency of their material and able to sustain it at a very high level; and they are having fun.

Wow. Well played, treacle. I hadn't thought of myself as confined to any one era, but I guess to your point, I kind of am in my own way. Hadn't looked at it that way. Appreciate the different viewpoint, and I wasn't targeting you at all. It just seems like for some, the band ended when Brian left, for others after MT left and nothing since has been even close to the "Golden Years." To that, I myself feel bad for those folks, because I think there's been plenty of great songs since. In coming in when I did, I didn't have a whole catalog worth of stuff against which to compare the next release and feel disappointed. I think up thru Don't Stop? each release seemed as good as the prior one. Rest of 40 Licks wasn't on par with the prior modern stuff. I love OMS and RJ - both easily my Top 50 favorite songs of theirs. I think there is great stuff in all of the decade's. I don't go back beyond Aftermath with any regularity. Occasionally OOO, but that's rare. I'll listen to singles from the 60's more than the early albums. They just don't do anything for me. If I'm bored and want something different, I might throw on an early 60's album, but that's rare.

I do definitely get the irony of now owning SIXTEEN copies of an album that isn't that great LOL Waited 18 years for this damn thing, and it's meh at best. Vocally Jagger is wear I'd want him; no drawls or over-enunciating. It's fabulous. But it's all lighthearted and maybe it was meant to be? A party album??? I like when I am emotionally attached to at least one song on the album, and this time around I'm just not. There's nothing that makes me want to go back and listen again.

34 years I've been a fan. And this album missed as wide for me as B&L, I'm afraid to admit. I love the boys - I'm looking forward to Foxboro, and what will most likely be my last time seeing them - full circle where it all started live in '97. I think it's awesome that they might be doing a world tour even as well!! I saw soooooo many shows on the ABB tour, including Twick - a real dream for me!! I just, IDK. I gobbled up everything they threw at us, and at the end of the day, it's not buyers remorse, but it's just a bit of a letdown with something that - for me - just didn't deliver even to the level of ABB, which had a lot of issues in its own right and is FAR from a masterpiece.

I shall continue to give it a spin now and again - still haven't listened to the Racket show, though the disc arrived on Tuesday. But it's not one I am going back to because I want to; it's more like, WTF am I missing here?!?!?!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 21, 2023 23:55

rtr

are there any playing credits listed for the live at the Racket tracks?

Credits also on [www.Qobuz.com] - (i-button on desktop-browsers).

Date: December 22, 2023 01:29

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers

Wow. Well played, treacle. I hadn't thought of myself as confined to any one era, but I guess to your point, I kind of am in my own way. Hadn't looked at it that way. Appreciate the different viewpoint, and I wasn't targeting you at all. It just seems like for some, the band ended when Brian left, for others after MT left and nothing since has been even close to the "Golden Years." To that, I myself feel bad for those folks, because I think there's been plenty of great songs since. In coming in when I did, I didn't have a whole catalog worth of stuff against which to compare the next release and feel disappointed. I think up thru Don't Stop? each release seemed as good as the prior one. Rest of 40 Licks wasn't on par with the prior modern stuff. I love OMS and RJ - both easily my Top 50 favorite songs of theirs. I think there is great stuff in all of the decade's. I don't go back beyond Aftermath with any regularity. Occasionally OOO, but that's rare. I'll listen to singles from the 60's more than the early albums. They just don't do anything for me. If I'm bored and want something different, I might throw on an early 60's album, but that's rare.

I do definitely get the irony of now owning SIXTEEN copies of an album that isn't that great LOL Waited 18 years for this damn thing, and it's meh at best. Vocally Jagger is wear I'd want him; no drawls or over-enunciating. It's fabulous. But it's all lighthearted and maybe it was meant to be? A party album??? I like when I am emotionally attached to at least one song on the album, and this time around I'm just not. There's nothing that makes me want to go back and listen again.

34 years I've been a fan. And this album missed as wide for me as B&L, I'm afraid to admit. I love the boys - I'm looking forward to Foxboro, and what will most likely be my last time seeing them - full circle where it all started live in '97. I think it's awesome that they might be doing a world tour even as well!! I saw soooooo many shows on the ABB tour, including Twick - a real dream for me!! I just, IDK. I gobbled up everything they threw at us, and at the end of the day, it's not buyers remorse, but it's just a bit of a letdown with something that - for me - just didn't deliver even to the level of ABB, which had a lot of issues in its own right and is FAR from a masterpiece.

I shall continue to give it a spin now and again - still haven't listened to the Racket show, though the disc arrived on Tuesday. But it's not one I am going back to because I want to; it's more like, WTF am I missing here?!?!?!

Well I hope it eventually clicks for you, like it took or takes a lot of people with Exile. Even though there are 3 or 4 Stones albums I don't love, there are usually a few fabulous cuts on even those.

On the current album, the only song that I didn't absolutely love but has grown on me is Live By the Sword, and that's mainly because of the lyrics.

But that whole first side, damn. Side two is slightly weaker but Mess It Up, SSoH and Rolling Stone Blues are awesome. The Keith song is very nice, very heartfelt. Nothing with this consistency really since Tattoo You.

Date: December 22, 2023 02:06

Live By The Sword and WWW are the 2 best tracks on the album to me. Not knowing the original Muddy version, I didn't know what to expect with RSB and it, too, just doesn't register with me. Maybe one day it will. Lord knows it took Exile YEARS for me to get it. Nothing will ever be more consistent for me than Voodoo.

Date: December 22, 2023 03:48

VoodooLounge13
Live By The Sword and WWW are the 2 best tracks on the album to me. Not knowing the original Muddy version, I didn't know what to expect with RSB and it, too, just doesn't register with me. Maybe one day it will. Lord knows it took Exile YEARS for me to get it. Nothing will ever be more consistent for me than Voodoo.

love www. I was worried I was going to start tiring of the album but this hasn't happened yet. Have to be careful!

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: December 22, 2023 07:30

rtr
Obviously there were edits and things fixed in the mix, but are there any playing credits listed for the live at the Racket tracks? Some of the rhythm guitar playing seems to be more consistent and precise than I'm accustomed to hearing from Keith? What's everybody hearing?

I appreciate the credits that were shared, but my question honestly was, did someone else do guitar overdubs? Maybe Andrew Watt in production? As I mentioned, some of the rhythm playing just seems to be more consistent and precise than I've heard out of Keith in decades of live performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-22 07:53 by rtr.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 22, 2023 08:23

rtr
rtr

I appreciate the credits that were shared, but my question honestly was, did someone else do guitar overdubs? Maybe Andrew Watt in production? As I mentioned, some of the rhythm playing just seems to be more consistent and precise than I've heard out of Keith in decades of live performances.

‘Keith’s rhythm’ on the live-take of Bite My Head Off is absolutely an overdub. It’s either his track from the studio-version, plastered-on, or it’s been recorded in the studio, after the show. Personally, it doesn’t sound like Keith to my ears. Anyway, I didn’t find anything wrong with his playing on the live version. I’m fact, I thought it was good. A little muffled, but nevertheless, fine.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 22, 2023 09:13

Date: December 22, 2023 14:11

rtr
rtr

There are no guitar overdubs. However, there are inserts of studio guitar tracks from HD on Angry and Bite My Head Off.

Date: December 22, 2023 15:57

DandelionPowderman
rtr
rtr

There are no guitar overdubs. However, there are inserts of studio guitar tracks from HD on Angry and Bite My Head Off.

Thanks for clarifying that Dandy. I wonder why they did this, though? Perhaps because Keith's - perfectly fine! - guitar on the live Bite My Head Off was too muffled; not audible enough? That's all I can think of.

Date: December 22, 2023 16:06

Big Al
DandelionPowderman
rtr
rtr

Thanks for clarifying that Dandy. I wonder why they did this, though? Perhaps because Keith's - perfectly fine! - guitar on the live Bite My Head Off was too muffled; not audible enough? That's all I can think of.

Because songs like Angry, Bite my head off (just like "Mixed Emotions")In live versions they would need 3 guitars.
If you have a guitar and a half you are forced to add overdubs to achieve the power of the studio version.

Date: December 22, 2023 17:00

HardRiffin
Big Al
DandelionPowderman
rtr
rtr

Because songs like Angry, Bite my head off (just like "Mixed Emotions")In live versions they would need 3 guitars.
If you have a guitar and a half you are forced to add overdubs to achieve the power of the studio version.

So, perhaps when they get round to performing Angry and Bite My Head Off during the upcoming tour, we can expect to see Mick on rhythm. If there's still overdubs on any subsequent releases, though! Personally, I think the adding of Keith's guitars from the studio-track was unnecessary. The YouTube video's showed a raw, honest, liver performance.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 22, 2023 17:01

DandelionPowderman

Interesting, can you point at these inserts in the timecode of the songs, my ears are not that sharp anymore grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-22 17:16 by maumau.

Date: December 22, 2023 17:21

maumau
DandelionPowderman

Interesting, can you point at these inserts in the timecode of the songs, my ears are not that sharp anymore grinning smiley

Just about all of Keith's guitar on Bite My Head Off, and the TD-esque lick on Angry. There are four guitars for a couple of seconds on the latter.

Date: December 22, 2023 17:30

Big Al
HardRiffin
Big Al
DandelionPowderman
rtr
rtr

So, perhaps when they get round to performing Angry and Bite My Head Off during the upcoming tour, we can expect to see Mick on rhythm. If there's still overdubs on any subsequent releases, though! Personally, I think the adding of Keith's guitars from the studio-track was unnecessary. The YouTube video's showed a raw, honest, liver performance.

I hope so!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home