Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2023 06:29

Mr. Jimi
I had a Christmas party for some friends last night. During dinner, my son and I were spinning old Christmas records, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc. The usual stuff.

Then after dinner, I put on side two of Hackney Diamonds. Oh man, most every one seemed to enjoy it, but I felt like I was back in High School spinning Stones records in the corner, which all felt relatively new at the time.

Last night I was a kid again. Thank you Rolling Stones for another in a long line of great memories.

That's really cool!

I played David Bowie's BLACKSTAR a while back during a gathering and people dug it (although they were weirded out by it). I love the aspect of older artists/bands/heritage acts having such different new material to the point that people don't recognize them outright.

Date: December 12, 2023 06:48

retired_dog
Doxa
Stoneage
Having listened through the album a couple of times I still wouldn't rank it higher than any album before 1983 (with an exception for TSMR).
But it's maybe the best post 1983 album. Still I'm happy that they finally released a new album after such a long wait.

You made it sound like that it is nothing sort of achievement to release the best album for forty years, or like any of those albums since UNDERCOVER do not matter or are easy to top. Like they are so weak.

Well, in my book it is a helluva achievement that the dudes reaching 80 years old are being able to do better stuff than when they reached middle age (and none of those albums are really that bad - no Exiles for sure, but c'mon).

I don't like the idea of "best since this or that", but that the album actually feels like it being the best for about 40 years and can be almost compared to the achievements of their first twenty years, truely topped all my expectations. Almost a miracle.

And no, HACKNEY DIAMONDS is not better album than any of those albums from their first twenty years, including SATANIC MAJESTIES. That stuff cannot be topped - and I can't even understand what comparing it to, say, OUT OF OUR HEADS is really like. Their recorded history from those days when they made history is beyond comparison.

But if it needs to rated against their back catalogue, I think HACKNEY DIAMONDS serves a similar function as their first album, AFTERMATH, BEGGARS BANQUET, SOME GIRLS and, yeah, STEEL WHEELS did at the time: showing competence and relevance when that was most needed. A sort of career-defining moments (for different reasons).

- Doxa

Excellent observation, Doxa, as I've also been thinking since a while that HD is exactly one of those albums where you feel the Stones not only had to deliver, but actually did deliver.

It's easy to say that there's nothing left to prove for them, but in retrospect it will make a difference if, looking back on their career in future, the general judgement will be like "oh, their last great one was Some Girls (or Tattoo You)" or "they still released great music more than 60 years into their career".

To add to it... after two tours with Steve Jordan and having recorded (enter amount here) of tracks for a new album, sans BLUE AND LONESOME, HACKNEY DIAMONDS reveals that their love for music, and for writing songs and creating/recording new songs, new in regard to post-2016, Living In A Ghost Town onward, is still intact and excellently on display: they certainly missed some steps in regards to releasing new albums in the past 18 years or whatever but they haven't lost a step in releasing new music and albums (going back to Doom And Gloom):

They couldn't sound fresher. And that's easy to say in regard to the new songs.

Forget the age - HD is killer. As much as I love A, BTB, BB, LIB, SF, EOMS, GHS, SG, ER, TY and U (and kinda BTB ) ... I haven't listened to any of those since HD came out.

Because HD is that good and better. I probably won't listen to anything else for a while. It's more noticeable now than in 1994 - I didn't listen to anything prior to VOODOO for a year, until STRIPPED came out. BRIDGES came out... nothing else until NO SECURITY came out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 19:15 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 12, 2023 06:53

MadMetaphoricalMax
My daughter I guess is in Gen Z and loved seeing the Stones at Twickenham 2018, where she was employed to cater to a box of exec types, and was blown away by the b and - shortly after seeing Sabbath's last show in Brum. MAybe Gen Zee is more rawk, less judgmental that the millennials are often depicted as being.

Millennials were defiant as a procedure - they had no grounding other than being other against anything that could describe them of any previous.

Gen Z will probably end up being closer to Gen X in the long run. I don't think there's a need to spell that out other than they'll be into music and, well, we piss anywhere, man.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 12, 2023 10:57

GasLightStreet

Gen Z will probably end up being closer to Gen X in the long run. I don't think there's a need to spell that out other than they'll be into music and, well, we piss anywhere, man.

What? The sober, vegan generation, that is 'Generation Z'? No, I think its the worst generation since records began. I shudder to think how Generation Alpha will turn out. Then again: the only 'Gen Z' in my immediate family, my niece, has one sole obsession in life: Elvis Presley. She's not allowed to access social media - a good thing -, so probably doesn't know the horrors the other's engage in!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 11:11 by Big Al.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 12, 2023 11:29

GasLightStreet
matxil
MadMetaphoricalMax
I can vividly recall Emotional Rescue coming out, and getting it with the big thermal camera poster and everything, handling the execrable reviews from the British music press, and managing to like to brass arrangement on Indian Girl; it's been a long time since I gave it a spin, but I only really liked Dance and Let Me Go on side one, and the last three on side two.

Hackney Diamonds is several levels above ER in quality and sheer enjoyability for me. It's closer to the joy and excitement of Tattoo You.

HD is more evenly balanced. Everything is more or less of the same "enjoyable" level. Get Close is a low point but the rest is rather okay.
ER is more varied. There is rather weak stuff like Let Me Go, Where The Boys All Go, Summer Romance, Send It To Me and Dance. There is my personal guilty pleasure Indian Girl. All About You is cute. And then are absolute highlights like Down In The Hole, ER and She's So Cold. HD is lacking in absolute highlights.

All About You is "cute"?

CUTE?

You've lost your mind, matxil.

Your excellent arguments made me reconsider my choice of words, and I came up with the Dutch word "schattig", which really translates well to "cute". I like the song very much.

HD is way more of a solid album than ER - and I do love ER. HD is full of highlights. How you can't hear that HD is way better than ER, well, there is hope for humans living on Mars but apparently it's taken a few steps back recently, not that it was and never will be possible.

Yes, HD is more solid, in the sense that it's more of a unity. But, no, I don't hear much highlights on HD. Not in the way Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold or Down In The Hole are highlights. They stand out from the rest. I don't know how they would sound on Mars, but here on earth they sound great.
The songs on HD sound more ... well, let's say ... cute.

For example, there's not one lyric phrase on ER that matches this one, with exception to All About You:

Talk to me, pour your secrets out
Tell me I'm the only man you ever dream about
Talk to me, why don't you scream it out
Tell me that you'd rather die than live without, live without me

There are others.

We all know some parts of lyrics that thrill us, and they might be different for everyone. The one you quote above don't impress me much. I am very fond of the one about the old maid rouging up on Tie You Up on Undercover, and there are many pieces of lyrics on ER I like too. The above mentioned All About You, for example. Or Down In The Hole.
Speaking of great lyrics, I think Leonard Cohen is way up there and Tom Waits used to be, in the 70s.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 12, 2023 13:45

Big Al
GasLightStreet

What? The sober, vegan generation, that is 'Generation Z'? No, I think its the worst generation since records began. I shudder to think how Generation Alpha will turn out. Then again: the only 'Gen Z' in my immediate family, my niece, has one sole obsession in life: Elvis Presley. She's not allowed to access social media - a good thing -, so probably doesn't know the horrors the other's engage in!

Why is being sober and vegan a bad thing?

Date: December 12, 2023 14:57

StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

Sobriety is only a good thing if one is an alcoholic in a state of permanent recover; like Ronnie or Eric Clapton. Medics have stated that alcohol in moderation - staying within the recommended allowance of units - is healthier than abstaining completely. As for veganism: surely it cannot be healthier than consuming meat and fish as part of an overall, well-balanced diet? Just think of all the nutrients the vegan is missing-out on. But no, they're not 'bad things'; just less-than-ideal lifestyle choices. It's just my opinion, of course.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 12, 2023 15:09

Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

Sobriety is only a good thing if one is an alcoholic in a state of permanent recover; like Ronnie or Eric Clapton. Medics have stated that alcohol in moderation - staying within the recommended allowance of units - is healthier than abstaining completely. As for veganism: surely it cannot be healthier than consuming meat and fish as part of an overall, well-balanced diet? Just think of all the nutrients the vegan is missing-out on. But no, they're not 'bad things'; just less-than-ideal lifestyle choices. It's just my opinion, of course.

It is just an opinion and it might change if you cared to engage with science conscientiously. Concerning Gen Z being "the worst generation": I know which generation IS NOT responsible for the horrors that are taking place, for the state our planet is in and for the upbringing of the social-media addicted Gen-Z - Gen Z!
The logic one encounters on the internet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 15:22 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 12, 2023 15:30

This generation A-Z doesn't make sense to me. It's time (and circumstances) that is changing. Nothing else. We're all the same.

Date: December 12, 2023 15:45

MonkeyMan2000
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

It is just an opinion and it might change if you cared to engage with science conscientiously. Concerning Gen Z being "the worst generation": I know which generation IS NOT responsible for the horrors that are taking place, for the state our planet is in and for the upbringing of the social-media addicted Gen-Z - Gen Z!
The logic one encounters on the internet...

Oh, yes. The logic one encounters. I will, however, concur with you about the social media addiction: it is a real issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 15:50 by Big Al.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 12, 2023 17:06

Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

Actually they now state that there is no safe amount of alcohol as it is a carcinogen.

I believe that probably there are some people predisposed genetically to that, just like alcoholism, and that eventually we'll figure that out.

But yeah, the safe limit was 14 units/week (2 per day if you were male, half that for females) and then they dropped it to 2 per week (in the UK initially a couple of years ago, if memory serves), stating that better to not indulge at all. You can get the same 'health benefits' you're referring to by drinking grape juice.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2023 17:11

Nothing wrong with grape juice...

...once it's fermented of course grinning smiley

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: December 12, 2023 17:35

Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

Not sure it's the place, but it's definitely healthy. 22 years and counting and I'm fine - protein originates in plants smiling smiley

Date: December 12, 2023 17:57

treaclefingers
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

Actually they now state that there is no safe amount of alcohol as it is a carcinogen.

I believe that probably there are some people predisposed genetically to that, just like alcoholism, and that eventually we'll figure that out.

But yeah, the safe limit was 14 units/week (2 per day if you were male, half that for females) and then they dropped it to 2 per week (in the UK initially a couple of years ago, if memory serves), stating that better to not indulge at all. You can get the same 'health benefits' you're referring to by drinking grape juice.

The present 'safe limit' in the U.K. is 14 units for both male and female. Prior to the change it was, something like, 25 units for men; 21 for women.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 12, 2023 18:24

Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

The assumption that alcohol is okay or even "healthy" in moderation was disproved in more recent studies. Even the WHO says now that every drop of alcohol is potentially harmful.
Also vegans can get all their nutrients with plant based food except vitamin B12. But also veganism is less about humans but about the planet and animals.

Each to his own. But don't criticize the younger generation for having more healthier life choices.

Also we should get back to topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-12 18:25 by StonedRambler.

Date: December 12, 2023 19:59

Mick at 79 years old singing like he does on this album... I've known 79 year old men that could barely talk still, as in, their voice was all raggily. He sounds just as good as he did on UNDERCOVER, which, to me, is possibly his best singing ever.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: December 12, 2023 21:00

Big Al
GasLightStreet

As a member of Generation Z and a College Student, let me tell you, we are not the sober generation smileys with beer

Date: December 12, 2023 21:52

FeelslikeaGhost
Big Al
GasLightStreet

As a member of Generation Z and a College Student, let me tell you, we are not the sober generation smileys with beer

Good to read! Bottoms up!

Big Al, a millennial smileys with beeron’t

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2023 06:03

Big Al
treaclefingers
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

The present 'safe limit' in the U.K. is 14 units for both male and female. Prior to the change it was, something like, 25 units for men; 21 for women.

So I checked and here's what I've found in Canada, which I think upgraded it's standards this year. This came about 2 years after a UK study, which I'd mistakenly presumed meant that the UK had led the way on that.

[www.ccsa.ca].

Key points from the guidance include:

There is a continuum of risk associated with weekly alcohol use where the risk of harm is:
0 drinks per week — Not drinking has benefits, such as better health, and better sleep.
2 standard drinks or less per week — You are likely to avoid alcohol-related consequences for yourself or others at this level.
3–6 standard drinks per week — Your risk of developing several types of cancer, including breast and colon cancer, increases at this level.
7 standard drinks or more per week — Your risk of heart disease or stroke increases significantly at this level.
Each additional standard drink radically increases the risk of alcohol-related consequences.
Consuming more than 2 standard drinks per occasion is associated with an increased risk of harms to self and others, including injuries and violence.
When pregnant or trying to get pregnant, there is no known safe amount of alcohol use.
When breastfeeding, not drinking alcohol is safest.
No matter where you are on the continuum, for your health, less alcohol is better.

Date: December 13, 2023 06:27

treaclefingers
Big Al
treaclefingers
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
GasLightStreet

So I checked and here's what I've found in Canada, which I think upgraded it's standards this year. This came about 2 years after a UK study, which I'd mistakenly presumed meant that the UK had led the way on that.

[www.ccsa.ca].

Key points from the guidance include:

There is a continuum of risk associated with weekly alcohol use where the risk of harm is:
0 drinks per week — Not drinking has benefits, such as better health, and better sleep.
2 standard drinks or less per week — You are likely to avoid alcohol-related consequences for yourself or others at this level.
3–6 standard drinks per week — Your risk of developing several types of cancer, including breast and colon cancer, increases at this level.
7 standard drinks or more per week — Your risk of heart disease or stroke increases significantly at this level.
Each additional standard drink radically increases the risk of alcohol-related consequences.
Consuming more than 2 standard drinks per occasion is associated with an increased risk of harms to self and others, including injuries and violence.
When pregnant or trying to get pregnant, there is no known safe amount of alcohol use.
When breastfeeding, not drinking alcohol is safest.
No matter where you are on the continuum, for your health, less alcohol is better.

Well then...

And after that drink... have

Date: December 13, 2023 12:27

I remember being at Gordon's Wine Bar on the Embankment in London - a famous and olde drinking spot - and fell into conversation with two consultants from the nearby hospital, who were adamant that the weekly units number (the older one, allowing more units) was essentially grabbed from the air and was in fact, made up bo$$ocks.
Thwy were a bit pi$$ed, but I believed and understand them. Even if medics are usually the most degenerate of all good citizens.
I did read about the Canadian thing, cutting the safe alcoholic drinks thing down to basically nothing, but I just took that as Canada's inherent settler puritanism - all those stern godly peeps were packed off on ships for good reason back in the day - and its government's general ghastliness. Don't you have to buy your hard liquor from a government store up there?
As for Britain, it's a boozer's nation, always was, there are fabulous tracts of puritan rage from late Elizabethan times, railing at the drunkeness &c.Just as there are now. It's hard not to feel the heart swell at the sight and the hubbub of hundreds and hundred of boozers and smokers standing outside London's pubs on a Thursday after work (the new Friday) ....

So let's raise a glass,
get up and dance
cos life's just hit and
hit and hit and ruuuuun....

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: December 13, 2023 18:57

nytimes story on andrew wyatt with quote from mick

Rock Gods Call Him When They Need a New Thunderbolt
[dnyuz.com]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 13, 2023 20:15

Mess It Up video is coming! smileys with beer
[www.instagram.com]
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-13 20:56 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: December 13, 2023 20:58

artedm
nytimes story on andrew wyatt with quote from mick

Rock Gods Call Him When They Need a New Thunderbolt
[dnyuz.com]

Great article, thx for posting.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 13, 2023 22:52

jahisnotdead
What is this Mess It Up demo? I can't find it on YouTube.

[youtube.com]

Posted by: lynn1 ()
Date: December 14, 2023 04:03

Date: December 14, 2023 04:03

VoodooLounge13
jahisnotdead

[youtube.com]

That's not a demo.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2023 09:20

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
jahisnotdead

[youtube.com]

That's not a demo.

Mick: "2019 - all about writing, recording....and a tour !" - [www.Facebook.com] .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2023 13:01

Hackney Diamonds (Live Edition) - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [open.Spotify.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-14 16:25 by Irix.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 14, 2023 15:30

Irix
Hackney Diamonds (Live Edition):

I'm quite excited for this!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home