Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:00

redkev
Got to say I really wasn't expecting this to be so good. I am delighted with early listenings. There wasn't a single track that I thought "oh dear this one is pretty bad".

There are some really catchy sing along choruses (something I think Jagger does much better than verses as time has gone on ie over the last 40 years!).

I can understand some of the scepticism as people are guarded against getting too excited on release day and then realising it doesn't have lasting value but I hope and think this album as a whole will stand the test of time.

Finishing with Rolling Stone Blues was an absolute master stroke, the most perfect way to bookend a marvellous career. I was singing along and punching the air with delight at how good and appropriate the choice was - master craftsmen paying homage to the music and the very song which they drew inspiration from and influenced their life's work. Stunning.

"I can understand some of the scepticism as people are guarded against getting too excited on release day and then realising it doesn't have lasting value" - I don't think people think that deeply about it to be honest. My negative views weren't posted with the future in mind only to express my two pennies worth to the discussion.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:01

I just picked up the new Rolling Stones album Hackney Diamonds on black vinyl and on first listen I'm quite impressed with the Rock n Roll in your face album which ends with an outstanding blues song

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:04

I mean, it's objectively bad music. I had to stop halfway through Mess it Up.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:07

JimmyTheSaint
Knives out at pitchfork.

4.5/10

[pitchfork.com]

I had actually forgotten that Pitchfork exists.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:14

Bastion

WTF?

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:15

MelBelli
JimmyTheSaint
Knives out at pitchfork.

4.5/10

[pitchfork.com]

I had actually forgotten that Pitchfork exists.

Yeah, that is why they need to post a bad review of a great album,to make some sort of mark. They obviously choose one that is expected to be most popular. But now they seem even more ridiculous than usually.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:16

What the hell of an album. The one i like most since Some Girls.
.....and what a powerful drummer they have :-)

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:23

Sitting here after being the first one in my record store this morning 1 second after it opened, has to wait another 20 minutes until the whole Stones package arrived at the shop by courier and then getting the first Black Vinyl 180g out of the cardboard, so sitting here and listened to it now, when sun ist setting down, and being total happy but the moment some tears start to roll down my cheek was when Keith came with his song. Keith again his song on the album. Like in all the years. I don't know why, it just make the whole phenomenon of a new record of my band complete.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:26

I’ll give it some time, but I don’t anticipate liking this any more or less than Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bigger Bang etc.

The only long players I consider worth spinning in their entirety since 1981 are Talk is Cheap & Main Offender.

Every other Stones release has tracks I like enough to listen to on the radio or ones I might even add to playlists today or mixed tapes back in the day.

The last time the Stones convened as a group and delivered a great record was for Some Girls. And Tattoo You is the last of the Stones great albums.

Having said all this, I am happy the boys are still rolling although I do miss Bill & Charlie (and Bobby & Stew)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 17:32 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:37

Actually enjoyed the first listen. Mix bag of genres and a short run time with 12 tracks helps. Doesn't feel too long or bloated. I will agree with a reviews that early on it has a Mick Jagger solo album vibe to it, but as it goes along it gets better. Also, too many guests kind make the band sound inconsistent at times. Overall I like and I'm sure I'll listen at least 10 more times this weekend! Even give a spin for our old pal Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:42

treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

Ignore him. All he does is troll this board and watch F1.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 17:55

Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

No i don't think he's a troll, he's probably telling the truth, i commented this morning that i had to stop playing Mess It Up halfway through.
I've had two more goes at this album start to finish and its growing on me, but no way is it anywhere near as good as Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge to my ears, more on a par with ABB.
All the hype surrounding this album BS

Date: October 20, 2023 18:05

keefriffhards
Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

No i don't think he's a troll, he's probably telling the truth, i commented this morning that i had to stop playing Mess It Up halfway through.
I've had two more goes at this album start to finish and its growing on me, but no way is it anywhere near as good as Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge to my ears, more on a par with ABB.

Yeah this happens all the time with me - essentially anything that's not pure 100% unadulterated constant cult-like praise is lauded as "trolling" and then the personal jibes begin. It's very eye opening.

I went in wanting this album to be good. At the end of the day, this is a band I've seen more than any other artist and I'd love for that feeling of joy I got from seeing them to transition at least somewhat into new recorded material. It's frustrating that it's just poor music, as much as I don't want it to be.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:12

The full album was posted on U Tube via RadioRock and I just got through listening to the whole thing this morning. My first impression was generally favorable. I do feel that this is arguably one of their better later day studio efforts. Upon first listen, I would give it a solid 8/10 (or if we were in grade school, we would grade it as a B minus effort). A couple of the tracks I like: Bite My Head Off, Live by the Sword, Dreamy Skies (the musical sequel to Short & Curlies), Tell Me Straight. What keeps it from being a solid 9 or even 10 for me is that it is too popsy, polished (as one poster on U Tube described giving it the "modern pop mix sounds") for my tastes. I also think Jagger can do a better job of tightening up in the lyrics dept. Kinda lazy in spots. If I close my eyes, a few tunes sound like they could have landed on a Jagger solo album. Overall, (and this could just be my personal bias) the Stones seem to be working a little too hard to be perceived as current & relevant.

But then again, I have to keep remembering that these are the Rolling Stones of 2023-sixty years on! Continuing to expect them to sound and/or reproduce music that imitates their classic years (1968-72) is unfair to them.

I suspect that this album will generally do well, but not because it's the best thing musically since sliced bread, but more because of all the hype and promotion its getting, including the fact that the Stones haven't released an album of new material in almost 20 years (which in and of itself is newsworthy and astounding at the same time!), and also because they chose to include some very heavy hitting musical guests (the very talented and lovely Lady Googa thank you! to create additional buzz). Mick Jagger, being the astute and savvy business/sales person that he is certainly seemed to cover all his bases (including cramming the album with a variety of genres: rock, gospel ballad, blues, country tinges) in attempting to make this record (unless we hear otherwise) the Stones grand finale statement.

PS, I admire Mick's restraint. He could have over-reached and added Taylor Swift to the line-up of guest artists (although given her current world dominance, any musical participation on this record could have really elevated this Stones effort to a grand slam, smash hit!). Okay, that last line was just me being cynical, facetious and humorous just to see if you were paying attention LOL.

But anyway, even though its been a while in the making, thank you Rolling Stones for enduring and making your presence felt- and gracing us with new music! You are and have always been-the greatest rock and roll band in the world!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 17:01 by Sighunt.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:16

It's probably a 6/10 album for me. I find Jagger too loutish and yobbish on it, he sounds adolescent, perhaps that was deliberate. But I miss the more imperial, louche and refined Mick.

I can hardly hear Elton John's playing on his tracks. Completely buried.The other guest appearances are mostly pointless outside of their marketing clout.

Steve Jordan is too high and upfront in the mix. I feel like Jagger and the drums are in my face with the rest of the band struggling to be heard.

Not really heard any memorable riffs or guitar playing.

Date: October 20, 2023 18:36

Bastion
keefriffhards
Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

Yeah this happens all the time with me - essentially anything that's not pure 100% unadulterated constant cult-like praise is lauded as "trolling" and then the personal jibes begin. It's very eye opening.

I went in wanting this album to be good. At the end of the day, this is a band I've seen more than any other artist and I'd love for that feeling of joy I got from seeing them to transition at least somewhat into new recorded material. It's frustrating that it's just poor music, as much as I don't want it to be.

Two names one advice: As soon they appear just scroll down. Hopeless.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:40

"the rest of the band struggling to be heard"

WHAT?

Date: October 20, 2023 18:44

caschimann
Bastion
keefriffhards
Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

Exactly what I’m talking about.

Date: October 20, 2023 18:45

Adams
"the rest of the band struggling to be heard"

WHAT?

Do yourself one favour: Follow my advice above.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:46

caschimann
Bastion
keefriffhards
Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

What they need, is a new Keith Richards album.

It must be a lot of stress and create a fair bit of cognitive dissonance when your favourite band consists of a singer you seem to loathe and overshadows your 'hero'.

Date: October 20, 2023 18:47

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about now, my “hero”?

What on earth is happening.

Date: October 20, 2023 18:49

It is a great, great record.
And sooo much different from those in the nineties.
And I have to admit: The great reviews from all over the world making me proud.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:50

RockingLonestar
What the hell of an album. The one i like most since Some Girls.
.....and what a powerful drummer they have :-)

thumbs up

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: October 20, 2023 18:56

I got the boxset.
Great emotion listening Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman together. Ron Wood says “it was such a good idea to get Bill Wyman to play bass on a track featuring Charlie Watts”.
"Rolling Stone Blues" is a monument. At last, we had to be waiting during 60 years before they decided to record Muddy Waters “Rolling Stone Blues”! It was a boundless event.
Great, but too short. 48 minutes ! That’s too short. Do they have more material to release pretty soon?

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:08

thank you for releasing the album
yes it sounds 2023..i like it. i will stream it many times
i think it needs to be listening to over a month than bitch if you have concerns
i hear threads of the outtake cd....
cheers to those who aren't here now...

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:13

For what it's worth: I jumped into my car this morning, turned on my Sirius radio, flipped the channels around, and the first Rolling Stones song I heard was ... Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:15

Anyone has the digipak version? How is the booklet? Does it have more content than the jewel case version? That one stinks,... btw its always magical to hear a new stones record, no matter the actual objective quality of the songs. Really happy times

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 19:32 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:28

Georges
I got the boxset.
Great emotion listening Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman together. Ron Wood says “it was such a good idea to get Bill Wyman to play bass on a track featuring Charlie Watts”.
"Rolling Stone Blues" is a monument. At last, we had to be waiting during 60 years before they decided to record Muddy Waters “Rolling Stone Blues”! It was a boundless event.
Great, but too short. 48 minutes ! That’s too short. Do they have more material to release pretty soon?

Yes, at least 11 other songs, not to mention the 50+ that Watt didn't select ! I'd rather they release 12 this time and 11 next year or the year after, it would have been too much to absorb.

Still haven't received my German boxset from JPC...how is the book ? Mostly pictures (of the sessions hopefully) or a good amount of text too ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: opj ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:32

It is One of Their best albums, classic Stones, nothing more nothing less.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:34

Bastion
keefriffhards
Topi
treaclefingers
Bastion

WTF?

Absolutely the same happens to me, and i was so excited about this album, my wife and i started going through it this morning and we were shocked how average it was.
I'm now trying to make myself like it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home