Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 19, 2023 23:50

stones2

[tg24.sky.it]

"work-related stress" .... one album in 18 years grinning smiley

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: September 20, 2023 02:32

SomeTorontoGirl
Heavy coverage of the interview, the song and the album on CBC all morning. I’m marvelling at the longevity of the band and the quality of the new material. By comparison, in 1962 would we be listening to new material from a band that started in 1900 and eagerly waiting for more? Never before and, I expect, never again. Damn, guys! smileys with beer

... 'Let's drink' to The Rolling Methuselahs!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 20, 2023 06:03

Coming around late to say I thought that interview was possibly the most relaxed and natural of Mick's over the years.
I enjoyed it immensely, even though I may well have asked a few different questions.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 20, 2023 13:03

Mick said in that interview that the reason for the long time between finishing the album and releasing it is because the vinyl takes a long time?

Does anyone know why this is? It used to be the only way records were sold and they made a few a year.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: September 20, 2023 13:07

Wuudy
Mick said in that interview that the reason for the long time between finishing the album and releasing it is because the vinyl takes a long time?

Does anyone know why this is? It used to be the only way records were sold and they made a few a year.

It's been like that for a while now. Shortage of materials (PVC plastic) to make vinyl.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 20, 2023 13:14

Mostly because there's too much demand, not nearly enough pressing capacities. That also explains rising prices.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 20, 2023 13:15

DandelionPowderman
Wuudy

It's been like that for a while now. Shortage of materials (PVC plastic) to make vinyl.

Yes - and also a shortage of pressing lathes - most were destroyed when vinyl wen out of fashion in the 80s/90s. There where, however, some left in Eastern Europe....which is why a lot of vinyl pressing today now happens there.

Date: September 20, 2023 13:15

Wuudy

There was a 'Vinyl delay' which means that it takes some time to manufacture the Vinyl. See the articles from 2021-22: [Variety.com] , [www.CentralTrack.com] , [www.Grammy.com] .

Who knows, when the Stones gave their mastered recordings ('mastertape') to the manufacturing of CD/BR/Vinyl. Mick said in the interview 'Q with Tom Power' on [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 0:45) - that the mixing of the album was finished at the beginning of March 2023 and that it took so long to make the Vinyl.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 20, 2023 13:24

Ok, thanks everyone. Interesting!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: September 20, 2023 13:30

john lomax

Yes - and also a shortage of pressing lathes - most were destroyed when vinyl wen out of fashion in the 80s/90s. There where, however, some left in Eastern Europe....which is why a lot of vinyl pressing today now happens there.

But there're also new pressing machines from Swedish [PheenixAlpha.com] - used e.g. at the German pressing plant [Optimal-Media.com] . New machines also by German [Newbilt-Machinery.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-20 13:35 by Irix.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 20, 2023 14:00

Still a full month! - How do we stand this? confused smiley

Date: September 20, 2023 14:05

wiredallnight

Still a full month! - How do we stand this?

With the second single - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 20, 2023 15:19

lets face it...whatever they worked on prior to last fall wasn't good enough for them...and probably was Don Was related which they CLEARLY have move don from.....glad that era is over.....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 20, 2023 16:09

Rip This
lets face it...whatever they worked on prior to last fall wasn't good enough for them...and probably was Don Was related which they CLEARLY have move don from.....glad that era is over.....

Yeah, apparently only the two tracks with Charlie (and LIAGT, of course) survived their new-found quality control...
...appears that the "new album" we discussed here for years remains unreleased and now we get an "all-new album" instead!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 20, 2023 16:10

They had enough time now to get more capacity to make vinyl records..
I think they just keep the prices up because we're buying anyway...

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-20 16:11 by MononoM.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 20, 2023 16:59

Irix
wiredallnight

Still a full month! - How do we stand this?

With the second single - [iorr.org] .

See-Also: [iorr.org]

Date: September 20, 2023 17:05

Topi

See-Also

Is this Suomi ?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 20, 2023 17:19

retired_dog
Rip This

Yeah, apparently only the two tracks with Charlie (and LIAGT, of course) survived their new-found quality control...
...appears that the "new album" we discussed here for years remains unreleased and now we get an "all-new album" instead!

According to Mick in 2020, they had 5-6 songs in the can from the 2019 sessions in L.A and many demos, but finished songs, or almost finished ones, I doubt there will be more than 6 from 2019.

Ghost Town came out and now 2 more songs from those sessions so, at most, they will have 3 more songs with Charlie in a state of "almost ready to go" songs, the rest will be demos and base tracks and even songs like GGAG or England Lost, Stones demos that came out as Mick's songs.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 20, 2023 17:30

Irix
Topi

See-Also

Is this Suomi ?

No.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 20, 2023 19:24

MononoM
They had enough time now to get more capacity to make vinyl records..
I think they just keep the prices up because we're buying anyway...

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Think again.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 20, 2023 22:41

keefriffhards
MelBelli
keefriffhards
Bjorn
DandelionPowderman - still, it feels kinda strange. The power MUST come from the right. Right? Brown Sugar? Kinks One for the road. Black Sabbath. My brain is brought up that way. It´s like reading to me - there you go left...and to the right. Well, guess I´m gonna love this record anyway. Cool. cool smileysmiling smiley

I'm with you on that, something felt strange/different, Keith on the left, as much as Angry is working to my ears I'm hoping the rest of the album isn't Mick solo recordings with Keith and Ronnie on Guitar.
Last few Stones albums have sounded one sided to my ears.

Were it not for Crosseyed Heart i would have thought Keith has given it up.

I think most of us thought that.

Under the theory that CH was a deposit of old ideas finally coming to light, maybe some still do.

The single biggest stumbling block to a new album getting finished was Keith not wanting to get rolled again. Maybe Mick simply ran out the clock and got his way in the end.

I’m hopeful, though. Of the three tracks we’ve heard, Angry and DoY are Mick. But Get Close bears some Keith fingerprints. Driving Me Too Hard was purported to have been finished recently by both of them. I’m going to guess that Bite My Head Off and Sweet Sounds of Heaven are all Mick. Obviously Keith is the driver of Tell Me Straight. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wrote the two tracks with Charlie on them. We’ll have to wait on Dreamy Skies.

We’re at least in the neighborhood of a 50/50 affair.

Hopefully you have it right there, sounds about right to me.

It saddens me that for decades now that Keith either willingly gives the rains to Mick or just gives in.
A bit like a marriage, in the end no matter how dominant they both were one usually gives in to the other in age.
I've long thought with Mick it's a case of my way or the highway.

Let's face it Keith has always been the more talented one creatively as far as songwriting goes, perhaps what let's Keith down is his unwillingness to conquer technology, I mean he always leaves the mixing to Mick, to my mind that's allowing Mick to turn their efforts into a Mick solo album.

Never mind perhaps after this we might get one more solo album from the Keith & Ronnie.
How is Keith a more talented writer than Mick? Putting aside most of their songs were jointly written, Mick has written Salt of the Earth, Miss You, Moonlight Mile, Shine a Light, Winter,You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Out of Control, Brown Sugar, Dead Flowers,All Down the Line,Sympathy for the Devil, 100 Years Ago,Out of Tearsand others.That’s some great writing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-20 22:42 by Taylor1.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 20, 2023 22:57

I'd say the biggest hits were in the 60s Keith was the major contributer in those days, then arguably their best album Exile On Main Street is mostly Keith. So I'd say Keith was king when it was a phenomenon.
I don't think Mick could barely play guitar in the 60s.
Lots of Micks best stuff was down to Taylor that man should have got more writing credits, Jagger could never reach that level of writing once Taylor left.
Come on man the sound of the Stones is Keith's, ok Mick is the major force since the time period i was mentioning but its been downhill all the way.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2023 22:57

Taylor1
keefriffhards
MelBelli
keefriffhards
Bjorn
DandelionPowderman - still, it feels kinda strange. The power MUST come from the right. Right? Brown Sugar? Kinks One for the road. Black Sabbath. My brain is brought up that way. It´s like reading to me - there you go left...and to the right. Well, guess I´m gonna love this record anyway. Cool. cool smileysmiling smiley

I'm with you on that, something felt strange/different, Keith on the left, as much as Angry is working to my ears I'm hoping the rest of the album isn't Mick solo recordings with Keith and Ronnie on Guitar.
Last few Stones albums have sounded one sided to my ears.

Were it not for Crosseyed Heart i would have thought Keith has given it up.

I think most of us thought that.

Under the theory that CH was a deposit of old ideas finally coming to light, maybe some still do.

The single biggest stumbling block to a new album getting finished was Keith not wanting to get rolled again. Maybe Mick simply ran out the clock and got his way in the end.

I’m hopeful, though. Of the three tracks we’ve heard, Angry and DoY are Mick. But Get Close bears some Keith fingerprints. Driving Me Too Hard was purported to have been finished recently by both of them. I’m going to guess that Bite My Head Off and Sweet Sounds of Heaven are all Mick. Obviously Keith is the driver of Tell Me Straight. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wrote the two tracks with Charlie on them. We’ll have to wait on Dreamy Skies.

We’re at least in the neighborhood of a 50/50 affair.

Hopefully you have it right there, sounds about right to me.

It saddens me that for decades now that Keith either willingly gives the rains to Mick or just gives in.
A bit like a marriage, in the end no matter how dominant they both were one usually gives in to the other in age.
I've long thought with Mick it's a case of my way or the highway.

Let's face it Keith has always been the more talented one creatively as far as songwriting goes, perhaps what let's Keith down is his unwillingness to conquer technology, I mean he always leaves the mixing to Mick, to my mind that's allowing Mick to turn their efforts into a Mick solo album.

Never mind perhaps after this we might get one more solo album from the Keith & Ronnie.
How is Keith a more talented writer than Mick? Putting aside most of their songs were jointly written, Mick has written Salt of the Earth, Miss You, Moonlight Mile, Shine a Light, Winter,You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Out of Control, Brown Sugar, Dead Flowers,All Down the Line,Sympathy for the Devil, 100 Years Ago,Out of Tearsand others.That’s some great writing

Agreed. Taking nothing away from Keith but that is a ludicrous statment.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 20, 2023 23:11

Went on cdjapan and they now show the track listing - in Japanese. Copied the 13th track and did a Google translate and yep, sure enough, it showed up ‘Living in a Ghost Town’ (as has been mentioned). I never got around to buying it, so I’m happy with that addition, or at least IMO it’s better than an Angry remix or something like that. I was not really expecting an unreleased new track.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 20, 2023 23:52

Well they could have even added a live version of Out of Time from last year's tour. That would have been fantastic! But I'm happy to have LIAGT in SHM format.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 21, 2023 00:34

"Let's face it Keith has always been the more talented one creatively as far as songwriting goes"

This has now been debunked but I think everyone will agree that Keith is the better musician, always looking for subtle chords and arrangements when Mick generally seems happy with straightforward progressions. It's well summed up in the Mixed Emotions "writing session" where you see Mick in a hurry to finish off the song and Keith senses it needs something more and spends time working on it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: September 21, 2023 01:02

Was spending a lot of time writing, playing and creating new songs one of the qualities that made them so good during the time when they were really cranking out amazing music?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2023 04:08

keefriffhards
I'd say the biggest hits were in the 60s Keith was the major contributer in those days, then arguably their best album Exile On Main Street is mostly Keith. So I'd say Keith was king when it was a phenomenon.
I don't think Mick could barely play guitar in the 60s.

Fortunately what you think is wrong.

Especially since Keith didn't come up with Brown Sugar.

Date: September 21, 2023 04:44

It will be a great album. They know it.

We should believe in them. They want the end of their career to be as great as their start.

Another album to follow next year with a tour in Europe.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: September 21, 2023 05:03

Wonder when we'll get this next single... I can't take this waiting anymore!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home