Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Date: September 8, 2023 14:41

Isn't Angry available on vinyl before September 15?

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:46

My guess is that the japanese bonus track is Angry remix.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:00

DandelionPowderman

In my local record store (Big Dipper in Oslo) they're selling another of the standard cover version as «Limited Indie Stores Edition» with clear vinyl. It's probably been discussed here, and I probably missed it, though.

Yes: [iorr.org] - (posted several times).

Date: September 8, 2023 15:00

DandelionPowderman

Yes, available in Europe on Vinyl from 8-Sep-2023 (at least at Universal Music's own stores) - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 20:45 by Irix.

Date: September 8, 2023 15:04

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Yes, available in Europe on Vinyl from 8-Sep-2023 - [iorr.org] .

September 15 in Norway, unfortunately sad smiley

Date: September 8, 2023 15:10

DandelionPowderman

September 15 in Norway, unfortunately sad smiley

In Japan it's Oct. 13th and in the United States it's Oct. 20th.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:18

DandelionPowderman
lelandsundries
In reply to the person a few pages back who asked who plays the riff in amgry:

My best guess: It's in E, which is more of a standard tuning key than a key keith would play in w his open g tuning (even with a capo). The guitar sound on the riffs is definitely not a telecaster through a fender amp, which is what Keith often plays. Those and the quotes to fallon about how mick had the original idea for the song seem to imply mick probably plays the main riffs (especially since Ronnie seems to mostly play lead guitar these days).

I think bill said that in terms of rhythm, most bands follow the drummer but the stones follow Keith's guitar. The song doesn't have that keith looseness or the stones groove or the roll part of rock and roll. I dont know whether that is caused by seemingly not having keith on rhythm guitar or by not having Charlie on drums or both.

Honestly, though I didn't start out liking Angry, i am liking it more as i listen more: good lyrics, great delivery, lead parts build over the course of the song.

We'll see how my opinion changes: when doom and gloom came out I loved it and now I find it meh. When 1 more shot came out, I didn't like it and now it's one of my stones favorites...

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it's in open tuning, and in the key of B (capo 4th fret) – like many other classics: JJF, SFM, TD etc.

It's definitely a Telecaster in the left channel (Keith). And when you hear that little open G-lick round 1:21 (an overdub, I believe) similar to Tumbling Dice, it sounds like Sonny.
thumbs up
I very much agree to that it's 5-string, open G, capo on 4th and Tele. Sonny is a good guess but there are other possibility's, we'll see.

This song will kick some serious a§§ on big stages.
The free floating drum intro, then Keith's riff, still alone over the big PA will work just effin' great.
could be used as an opener too, imo.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 16:04

peoplewitheyes
I know 6 weeks is quite a while to wait for the new album, but I'm sure there will be another song released (although not necessarily in all these stupid physical formats) in the intervening period. My bet would be one with Gaga, Stevie or one of the guests on, in order to keep the profile high and further whet appetites for the album release.

Releasing the track with McCartney or Lady Ga Ga next would ensure maximum coverage and an ideal appetite whetting extravaganza.

If the video had McCartney & the Stones, and the tune was good, definitely would have impact and a perfect lead in following 'Angry'

Playing 'Angry' multiple times again today, genuinely love the strut and swagger of it. The 2nd half in particular, the video & weaving guitars of the extended outro are mighty fine stuff.

Date: September 8, 2023 16:08

Not sure if they'll release the 7 minute + song with Gaga and Wonder, but I'll take anything they have to offer while waiting (impatiently) on the album.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 16:22

DandelionPowderman
Not sure if they'll release the 7 minute + song with Gaga and Wonder, but I'll take anything they have to offer while waiting (impatiently) on the album.

Same; 6 weeks on one hand not too long, on another a seeming eternity smiling smiley Cannot wait to have it in my hands, reading the notes, the credits, earphones playing the album. October 20th cannot arrive soon enough.

They're back!

Date: September 8, 2023 16:29

IrelandCalling4
DandelionPowderman

Same; 6 weeks on one hand not too long, on another a seeming eternity smiling smiley Cannot wait to have it in my hands, reading the notes, the credits, earphones playing the album. October 20th cannot arrive soon enough.

They're back!

thumbs up

Posted by: lelandsundries ()
Date: September 8, 2023 16:40

open-g
DandelionPowderman
lelandsundries
In reply to the person a few pages back who asked who plays the riff in amgry:

My best guess: It's in E, which is more of a standard tuning key than a key keith would play in w his open g tuning (even with a capo). The guitar sound on the riffs is definitely not a telecaster through a fender amp, which is what Keith often plays. Those and the quotes to fallon about how mick had the original idea for the song seem to imply mick probably plays the main riffs (especially since Ronnie seems to mostly play lead guitar these days).

I think bill said that in terms of rhythm, most bands follow the drummer but the stones follow Keith's guitar. The song doesn't have that keith looseness or the stones groove or the roll part of rock and roll. I dont know whether that is caused by seemingly not having keith on rhythm guitar or by not having Charlie on drums or both.

Honestly, though I didn't start out liking Angry, i am liking it more as i listen more: good lyrics, great delivery, lead parts build over the course of the song.

We'll see how my opinion changes: when doom and gloom came out I loved it and now I find it meh. When 1 more shot came out, I didn't like it and now it's one of my stones favorites...

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it's in open tuning, and in the key of B (capo 4th fret) – like many other classics: JJF, SFM, TD etc.

It's definitely a Telecaster in the left channel (Keith). And when you hear that little open G-lick round 1:21 (an overdub, I believe) similar to Tumbling Dice, it sounds like Sonny.
thumbs up
I very much agree to that it's 5-string, open G, capo on 4th and Tele. Sonny is a good guess but there are other possibility's, we'll see.

This song will kick some serious a§§ on big stages.
The free floating drum intro, then Keith's riff, still alone over the big PA will work just effin' great.
could be used as an opener too, imo.

To me, it looks like the verse could be in B or E but the chorus is definitely in E.

DandelionPowderman and Doxa, ah, let me listen again with the idea of Steve following Keith's bass in mind. Thank you.

DandelionPowderman, cool. I definitely do hear Keith's Tele playing leads at 1:21, sounds so great when it comes in! I don't hear Keith's Tele on rhythm but I haven't listened w/ headphones yet and I bet I'll hear it a little differently that way. Thanks for this.

CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT SINGLE & REST OF THE ALBUM!!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 8, 2023 16:58

I changed my mind on the Capo position.
it needs to be on #2 to make the chorus bit work.
A, D#, E - C#, B, A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 17:05 by open-g.

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: September 8, 2023 17:01

Hearing Angry on SiriusXM, on both Deep Tracks and Classic Rewind, very cool

Date: September 8, 2023 17:09

open-g
I changed my mind on the Capo position.
it needs to be on #2 to make the chorus bit work. C#, B, A

Why use a capo at all then? The song is in B. We can tell by the deep note the bass plays on the suspended chord.

But that could be it, unless they have done several overdubs with different guitars for the different parts.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 17:34

Which guitar parts do Mick and Ron play on the song.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: September 8, 2023 18:23

lelandsundries

To me, it looks like the verse could be in B or E but the chorus is definitely in E.

The Key is B because the intro, verse, guitar solo etc. all uses B as the tonic. There's a key change to E during the chorus, with C#m being the relative minor to E.

I suspect Andrew Watt had something to do with creating this fancy chorus. Not my favourite sound for the Stones but I guess it works.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 8, 2023 18:57

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Yes, available in Europe on Vinyl from 8-Sep-2023 - [iorr.org] .

but in reality it is not
tried to get it today at Europe´s largest electronic and entertainment store and was told that both vinyl and cd had not been delivered yet.
hopefully on Monday .....

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: September 8, 2023 19:12

Sorry if that's been asked before, but what's on the B-side of the vinyl single?

A mix or something else?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 8, 2023 19:38

waterrats
Sorry if that's been asked before, but what's on the B-side of the vinyl single?

A mix or something else?

Nothing special

From Amazon "Lmited edition 10" single includes an etching on b-side"

C

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 8, 2023 19:40

lelandsundries
I definitely do hear Keith's Tele playing leads at 1:21, sounds so great when it comes in! I don't hear Keith's Tele on rhythm but I haven't listened w/ headphones yet and I bet I'll hear it a little differently that way. Thanks for this.

CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT SINGLE & REST OF THE ALBUM!!!

Yes that's a classic Keith lick at 1:21 in the left channel and I think Ronnie comes in a bit earlier at 1:13 in the right channel. Everything before that could well be Mick alone.

Someone mentioned how Mick twisted the words/sounds like he hasn't done in decades and it had indeed struck me at with "why" around 0:35 so I timed it and it lasts nearly 5 seconds, haha...

That production is really amazing, powerful yet "airy", "3D", with all the instruments getting their own space and still melding well together. Have they ever sounded so good ? Compared to ABB it's really night and day ! Imagine what a song like ONNYA would have sounded like with this kind of production instead of the "mess" it ended up being on the record.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: September 8, 2023 19:42

Never seen that one before
Posters in the streets (?)
Don't know in which city it is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-09 00:59 by rockerparis.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 8, 2023 19:58

As far as guests go, Ben Waters has now commented on Facebook as well, saying he doesn't think he is on the album after all.

Here's what he said:

I don’t think I’m on it. I did a session but don’t think the tracks got used. I don’t mind though, they are National treasures and it’s amazing they have made this album sixty years on, I can’t wait to hear it!

This was in a comment on the Rolling Stones Data Facebook page.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Shame Ben didn't make it!

Posted by: drgonzo7198 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:04

I absolutely love Angry! I'm so pumped for the new album. 32 more days.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:13

Did I miss something, or is Mick Taylor not a guest on the album? I thought they’d have him on a song… a bit of a shame when he’s still around and still playing good. It’s shaping up to be a cool album with great guests and even Rolling Stone Blues (I cannot wait to hear that one). All that taken into account, Taylor should have added a few licks in my opinion.

Too bad, but it doesn’t take away from my hype. Just saying, if there is a missed opportunity with this album, it’s that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:34

bauk77
It’s a great song, I don’t know how many times I listened to it now.
For me it’s better then anything on BB or ABB and all the later released singles!

I agree with this

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:51

EasterMan
lelandsundries

The Key is B because the intro, verse, guitar solo etc. all uses B as the tonic. There's a key change to E during the chorus, with C#m being the relative minor to E.

I suspect Andrew Watt had something to do with creating this fancy chorus. Not my favourite sound for the Stones but I guess it works.

I'm not an expert in music theory but I would'nt say there's a key change to E in the chorus. Many Rock/Pop songs involve chords that are not in the original key. In fact the only "borrowed" chord here is A (C#m belongs in the key of B ).
It's not very uncommon to hear an A chord in songs in the the key of B, is it.
Listen to the ending of the first half of the chorus (I'll love you just the same) - it's definitely a return to the home base. B is still your Tonic. Nothing fancy about the chorus imho.
That's how I see (hear?) it, I may be wrong.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 8, 2023 20:53

Hey @Rockerparis, where are those posters? In Paris?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 8, 2023 21:04

Spotify numbers now in for day two, appr. 462 k streams. Which is much less then expected and way out of top 200 (need 1m+ for that). and the overall trend is that it's going good on YT and iTunes. But generation Z has yet to pick it up (come on!). Also it is going much slower in the US than in European countries.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 21:06

kid killowatt
bauk77
It’s a great song, I don’t know how many times I listened to it now.
For me it’s better then anything on BB or ABB and all the later released singles!

I agree with this

Yes, what they do is always better than what they've done before. Always. And fe for 40 years
Like the concerts, the show is always better than the last. Awesome.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home