Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2023 09:48

lelandsundries

Small question: years ago mick shared a clip on Instagram of him playing a wicked harp solo on a new song. I wonder if that song made the record.

No idea, or at least knowledge, but my prediction is that none of those clips Mick has shared will make the album. I am afraid that their purpose turned out to be only those clips, nothing more. That is, give us glimpses of Mick making new music. (Besides, taking the timeline, most of them start to be pretty old for the album sessions.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 09:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: September 8, 2023 09:56

Screamer
I am super excited for this album!! Since I was only 6 years old when ABB was released, I truly consider this the first ever new original Stones album I will witness during my lifetime. "Angry" made me so happy, similar to "Doom and Gloom" 11 years ago! Let's bring it on cool smiley

This is great to hear. It is the same for my sons as well. This new set of songs will play to a completely new audience and that has to be a good thing. I think people forget that there will be millions of fans born after the 90's that have never had a Stone's album released in their lifetime that they could enjoy. It's really exciting and I'm thrilled for younger fans to experience it.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 10:11

Green Vinyl on Amazon Italy
[www.amazon.it]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 8, 2023 10:20

Carnaby red vinyl available again

[rsno9.co.uk]

Posted by: lelandsundries ()
Date: September 8, 2023 10:33

In reply to the person a few pages back who asked who plays the riff in amgry:

My best guess: It's in E, which is more of a standard tuning key than a key keith would play in w his open g tuning (even with a capo). The guitar sound on the riffs is definitely not a telecaster through a fender amp, which is what Keith often plays. Those and the quotes to fallon about how mick had the original idea for the song seem to imply mick probably plays the main riffs (especially since Ronnie seems to mostly play lead guitar these days).

I think bill said that in terms of rhythm, most bands follow the drummer but the stones follow Keith's guitar. The song doesn't have that keith looseness or the stones groove or the roll part of rock and roll. I dont know whether that is caused by seemingly not having keith on rhythm guitar or by not having Charlie on drums or both.

Honestly, though I didn't start out liking Angry, i am liking it more as i listen more: good lyrics, great delivery, lead parts build over the course of the song.

We'll see how my opinion changes: when doom and gloom came out I loved it and now I find it meh. When 1 more shot came out, I didn't like it and now it's one of my stones favorites...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 10:34 by lelandsundries.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 8, 2023 10:53

Surprisingly, I liked Angry from the first time I heard the whole song.
Knowing how careful you should be with those things, I wake up every morning and check if it's still true.
You have to make sure nowadays.

I still like it this morning, maybe even a little bit more.
Surely better than Ghost Town, Doom & Gloom or Rough Justice. To me.
Surprisingly, my wife doesn't like it. I don't know if it makes it better or worse, she doesn't like Sweet Virginia too...

My 14 years old son says it's GREAT!
What a boy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 11:36 by z.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:00

There might be not Charlie following Keith's guitar and that particular swing, but there is something else pretty close to it. The tightness in the bottom: Steve's drums and Keith's bass (and it sounds like Steve is following what Keith does, as DandelionPowderman pointed to me). A wonderful, novel-sounding foundation for the song.

This alone makes this track memorable and significiant to me. It would be interesting how much more this new axis is used in the album. Keith mentioned after the Jamaica sessions that he played a lot of bass there.

- Doxa

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:10

The Rolling Stones roll back the years with 'Angry', but should they ?
2,5/5

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

The Keith Richards riff machine is still in fine working order as the Rolling Stones return with new single Angry

The first single from long-awaited new studio album Hackney Diamonds proves that after all these years no-one does rock 'n' roll guitar quite like the Stones

[www.guitarworld.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 11:12 by powerage78.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:13

Keith should never let Mick walk around on his own.
No good for him, no good for us.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:24

I just love everything about it now. Just had to listen to it 53 times - then Angry really knocked me. I suddenly got it! Oh, how I long for the album...smiling smiley

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:34

Ok so small update, where are we at?

Video will pass 10 million views on YT withing 1-2 hours. But the pace is slowing down (as expected) compared to the first day. Video is currently the second most viewed (last 24 h) on YT and still #1 trending. The video will pass "Living in a ghost town" within a day or two.

As for iTunes the single have been number 1 in 16 countries. Currently number one in 14 countries. At most, the single was ranked #6 in the US.

Then on to streaming (the generation "Z" channel). As expected it is not performing on par with younger artists. On Apple music the highest position is #6 in the Netherlands. It's top 20 in Sweden and Norway (but loosing positions), and is currently on the top 200 in 13 countries (but not US).

First full day Spotify figures will arrive late tonight (21 swedish time) then we know more about the performance on that platform. On it's first day, just some hours before the measuring period ended, it was streamed 257 k times. If that average/hour would be the same for the first full day it will be on the top 200 streamed globally (but we hope for more!).

Another key figure is the number of monthly listeners on Spotify. Stones is close to their old record now at 24,5 million monthly listeners. Record is 25,5. This is a measure where we also can see if new listeners gets attracted by the new music. Stones is currently trailing AC/DC, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Bon Jovi, Elton John etc on both current position and all time record.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: September 8, 2023 11:48

Am I correct in thinking that there are 3 different cover variants for the vinyl?

The standard cover
Rolling Stones exclusive cover
Amazon exclusive cover

Is there any others?
I'm not fussed for all the colour variants, just the different artwork.

Date: September 8, 2023 12:00

tiffanyblu

Video will pass 10 million views on YT withing 1-2 hours. But the pace is slowing down (as expected) compared to the first day. Video is currently the second most viewed (last 24 h) on YT and still #1 trending. The video will pass "Living in a ghost town" within a day or two.

As for iTunes the single have been number 1 in 16 countries. Currently number one in 14 countries. At most, the single was ranked #6 in the US.

Then on to streaming (the generation "Z" channel). As expected it is not performing on par with younger artists. On Apple music the highest position is #6 in the Netherlands. It's top 20 in Sweden and Norway (but loosing positions), and is currently on the top 200 in 13 countries (but not US).

First full day Spotify figures will arrive late tonight (21 swedish time) then we know more about the performance on that platform. On it's first day, just some hours before the measuring period ended, it was streamed 257 k times. If that average/hour would be the same for the first full day it will be on the top 200 streamed globally (but we hope for more!).

Another key figure is the number of monthly listeners on Spotify. Stones is close to their old record now at 24,5 million monthly listeners. Record is 25,5. This is a measure where we also can see if new listeners gets attracted by the new music. Stones is currently trailing AC/DC, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Bon Jovi, Elton John etc on both current position and all time record.

Interesting, thanks. Angry is a true success.
AC/DC's video for the song "Thunderstruck"(band's last undisputed worldwide hit, as Start Me Up is for the Stones) surpassed 1 billion views on YouTube in October 2021, reaching 1.3 billion now.

Which Stones video (for a song studio version) reaches the most viewers?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 8, 2023 12:05

powerage78
tiffanyblu

AC/DC's video for the song "Thunderstruck"(band's last undisputed worldwide hit, as Start Me Up is for the Stones) surpassed 1 billion views on YouTube in October 2021, reaching 1.3 billion now.

Anybody seen my baby at 75 million from The Rolling Stones official account. ABKCO have released a number of lyrics videos though that have goon much better. PIB at 476m, Satisfaction at 153, SFTD at 138.

The difference of course is that AC/DC, just as Queen, ABBA etc. have had a big revival in the last years winning the generation Z at the same time. Stones is yet to achieve (another) revival among youngsters.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 8, 2023 12:15

Stone601

Green Vinyl on Amazon Italy

It's available also on Amazon in other countries, e.g. - [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Amazon.es] , [www.Amazon.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.co.jp] .

Date: September 8, 2023 12:15

bitusa2012

Ordered the Japanese Black vinyl which is also showing a bonus track thru cd Japan.

But there's nothing stated about a bonus track on the Japanese black Vinyl (UIJY-75239) by [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . Could be a copy & paste error by CDJapan. Bonus track so far only on CD - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 12:20 by Irix.

Date: September 8, 2023 12:22

tiffanyblu
powerage78
tiffanyblu

Anybody seen my baby at 75 million from The Rolling Stones official account. ABKCO have released a number of lyrics videos though that have goon much better. PIB at 476m, Satisfaction at 153, SFTD at 138.

The difference of course is that AC/DC, just as Queen, ABBA etc. have had a big revival in the last years winning the generation Z at the same time. Stones is yet to achieve (another) revival among youngsters.

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 12:40

Screamer
I am super excited for this album!! Since I was only 6 years old when ABB was released, I truly consider this the first ever new original Stones album I will witness during my lifetime. "Angry" made me so happy, similar to "Doom and Gloom" 11 years ago! Let's bring it on cool smiley

Good for you mate!! As a bloody 69yo, loving The Stones since I was 9yo, I too am super excited by this album release and LOVE Angry. The more I play it, the more I love it. The last 2 minutes has a ramshackle Start me Up vibe, with the space, and the hand claps, and yet, Start me Up is one of least favourite Stones songs. I only LIKE it a lot, I’ve never loved it. But Angry? I LOVE it.

Rod

Date: September 8, 2023 13:00

mikehat

Am I correct in thinking that there are 3 different cover variants for the vinyl?

Yes, 3 different cover:

Standard cover (hand below the diamond heart) on most Vinyl editions and CD, Amazon Exclusive Green Vinyl (female legs below the diamond heart), Universal Music Stores Exclusive Blue Vinyl (tongues & eyes/pearls).

Date: September 8, 2023 13:02

lelandsundries
In reply to the person a few pages back who asked who plays the riff in amgry:

My best guess: It's in E, which is more of a standard tuning key than a key keith would play in w his open g tuning (even with a capo). The guitar sound on the riffs is definitely not a telecaster through a fender amp, which is what Keith often plays. Those and the quotes to fallon about how mick had the original idea for the song seem to imply mick probably plays the main riffs (especially since Ronnie seems to mostly play lead guitar these days).

I think bill said that in terms of rhythm, most bands follow the drummer but the stones follow Keith's guitar. The song doesn't have that keith looseness or the stones groove or the roll part of rock and roll. I dont know whether that is caused by seemingly not having keith on rhythm guitar or by not having Charlie on drums or both.

Honestly, though I didn't start out liking Angry, i am liking it more as i listen more: good lyrics, great delivery, lead parts build over the course of the song.

We'll see how my opinion changes: when doom and gloom came out I loved it and now I find it meh. When 1 more shot came out, I didn't like it and now it's one of my stones favorites...

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure it's in open tuning, and in the key of B (capo 4th fret) – like many other classics: JJF, SFM, TD etc.

It's definitely a Telecaster in the left channel (Keith). And when you hear that little open G-lick round 1:21 (an overdub, I believe) similar to Tumbling Dice, it sounds like Sonny.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 13:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 8, 2023 13:05

VoodooLounge13
Irix
VoodooLounge13

But to me, there are still 3 different album covers for this release: the hands, the female body, and the eye tongues.

The eye tongues belong to the Blue Vinyl. With the hands you mean the standard cover (like the black Vinyl)? Where's the female body?

See here: HD Female

Thanks, now I see it. I somehow always only looked at the knife & the diamond heart and didn't notice the hand or the legs below.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 13:33

10 million on YT (Angry video)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 13:35 by 1962.

Posted by: bauk77 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 13:35

It’s a great song, I don’t know how many times I listened to it now.
For me it’s better then anything on BB or ABB and all the later released singles!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 8, 2023 13:46

lelandsundries
Enjoying all the opinions, positive and negative.

Personally, I take what Ronnie has to say with a grain of salt. How many times did he say the new album would be out imminently in years past? I hope i'm wrong there. Another new album in 2024 would be a dream!

Small question: years ago mick shared a clip on Instagram of him playing a wicked harp solo on a new song. I wonder if that song made the record.

big question is (forgive me if this got answered elsewhere): do we know what and when is the next single?!

Very psyched!!

I've posted several times about that myself ;-) I'm hoping it's there and maybe it's called "Driving Me Too Hard", the title would fit the mood and it was already around during the B&L sessions. Besides one of the reviews mentioned that there was a fast-paced RnR track on the album, again that would fit.

There's also the track used for the Mick harmonica ad that would be nice to have. The other snippets I can do without, Pride, Truth and especially the latest one that sounded like Let's Work revisited.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 8, 2023 13:51

FINALLY....heard it on sirius satellite yesterday.....AMAZING!!!.....full of Stones swagger....the bass line Keith puts down is INCREDIBLE.....but make no mistake this is a Jagger tour de force.....he sings like he wants to get paid....FINALLY....we haven't heard him bend notes this way in decades.....Andrew Watts pulled the rabbit out of the hat....love to see the video of what went on in the studio with Watts asking Jagger to do it with feeling.....lol....The Stones sound great on Angry.....they sound ANGRY.....and that can only mean we will be in for a treat when the record comes out in October

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:06

Anthony Mason interviewed Mick, Keith and Ronnie yesterday for an upcoming episode of "CBS Sunday Morning".

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: ThinAir ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:20

there is also a clear vinyl version (with standard cover):

[www.cede.ch]

Date: September 8, 2023 14:23

Irix
mikehat

Yes, 3 different cover:

Standard cover (hand below the diamond heart) on most Vinyl editions and CD, Amazon Exclusive Green Vinyl (female legs below the diamond heart), Universal Music Stores Exclusive Blue Vinyl (tongues & eyes/pearls).

In my local record store (Big Dipper in Oslo) they're selling another of the standard cover version as «Limited Indie Stores Edition» with clear vinyl.

It's probably been discussed here, and I probably missed it, though.

Date: September 8, 2023 14:24

Haha, you beat me to it, ThinAir! grinning smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:26

Irix
bitusa2012

Ordered the Japanese Black vinyl which is also showing a bonus track thru cd Japan.

But there's nothing stated about a bonus track on the Japanese black Vinyl (UIJY-75239) by [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . Could be a copy & paste error by CDJapan. Bonus track so far only on CD - [iorr.org] .

Correct.
The vinyl LP released in Japan is an imported copy only. It is not pressed in Japan hence no bonus track. They attach a Japanese translation of the English liner note, lyrics etc and distribute it in the Japanese market.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1374
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home