Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Date: September 5, 2023 16:54

Plink
The use of the phrase "New Era" may have been included to counteract predictable talk such as: "Surely this must be the last album", "Mick is 80 - surely he/they can't continue much longer" "the tour was cancelled - surely they can't carry on touring at their ages", "this must be their swan song", "retirement is near", etc.. Instead, I think the idea is to prompt questions about this new era and minimize focus on whether or not this is the "last hurrah". I also think that phrase "New Era" may refer to the fact that the new album will be the first featuring tracks recorded after Charlie's passing.

Maybe. Or it could mean they have recorded more albums. Or that they choose to do residency gigs only from now on.

Tomorrow we'll know what it means smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 5, 2023 17:01

maybe it's very simple

last era = touring without new songs (2012-2022)

new era = touring with a new songs

Date: September 5, 2023 17:14

slewan
maybe it's very simple

Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go
Living In A Ghost Town
Troubles A'Comin

Not sure if they'll play more new stuff in this new "era", but I hope I'm wrong smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 5, 2023 17:55

DandelionPowderman
slewan
maybe it's very simple

Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go
Living In A Ghost Town
Troubles A'Comin

Not sure if they'll play more new stuff in this new "era", but I hope I'm wrong smiling smiley

well, more than a half of the songs you mention are covers. Beside that: have they ever played more than two of them at the same show?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:04

Doxa
LorenzAgain
Dan
Finally looked at Watt's credits and it's not encouraging. It's like Jagger is going for the youth market who will never know or care this exists. Still looking forward to hearing it, I could be suprised, especially if he is just punching up stuff Jagger already wrote and not just sharing credit with him.

Look at how much better BTB aged compared to ABB. Risk taking often pays off.

Yeah, and you know, taking influences or using people from contemporary scene doesn't necessarily mean going for youth market, but more like updating one's own game, refreshing it by some new things. That's what artists do, if they just don't want to live in the past. Besides, Watt was also recommended by Paul McCartney, although Mick had already been in touch with him independent of that. I think it is natural for people like Macca and Jagger wanting to be awere of what's going on in the contemporary musical world, to know what the younger colleagues with their fresh minds are up to. The evolution of music did not stop, say, in 1972, or when they were the hottest acts of the day. Probably they, by nature, are not that conservative as far as trends in sounds go compared to many of their old guard fans. Probably due that liberal mind, they actually are what they are, pretty strong figures in music even today. They are not just totally relying on nostalgy card. Much for sure (old dogs don't learn new tricks), but not totally.

There is also an educational point for us old farts: we get to know new ideas and things via our old heroes... They are offered for us in a very easily digestable form, since those are never that radical, but just adding some new flavor on old music (especially in the context of the Stones). But, of course, some purists in music nostalgia will complain that 'Hey, this new album not exactly sound like STICKY FINGERS'...

I join the choir praising a bit more 'experimental-sounding' BRIDGES TO BABYLON compared to more 'retro-sounding' VOODOO LOUNGE and A BIGGER BANG. It sounds more inspired and I think it has aged better than those two. But then again, the Stones were able to put out totally anti-contemporary-sounding but still highly inspired and fresh album (to my ears) with BLUE&LONESOME. The bonus material in new editions of classic albums is also pure and intentionally classical sounding Stones. But unfortunately the bonus material did not seem to gather much interest outside the hardcore fan circles, if not even there. Probably that might also be a good reason to make the new album to sound a bit different, to somehow make it more distinguishable (you know, wouldn't be even a bit artistically questionable if the new album would sound about exactly the same music and soundwise as TATTOO YOU bonus album?). At least "Ghost Town" did.

- Doxa

Take SOME GIRLS as an example of 'the moment':

What's with this disco shit?

Why did they do a country song?

What's the matter with Keith's guitar sound, it's all wobbly!

Whoever mastered this album made it too bright, it sounds terrible.

In that same mindset, even EMOTIONAL RESCUE is a weird album. TATTOO YOU is a normal Stones album. A proper Stones album. Like... STICKY FINGERS.

By the time UNDERCOVER comes along, it's refreshingly different sounding and, like BRIDGES would be almost 25 years later, experimental.

If HACKNEY DIAMONDS is of the quality of Living In A Ghost Town, even with the vocoder, we're in for one hell of an album.

The only thing I dread is any kind of a duet. That's more concerning than who the producer is. I doubt Andrew Watt turned them into One Direction or whatever.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:08

dnewton99
it's a tour supplier company, power etc. - [www.fourthgenerationltd.com]

dkwalika
Is Fourth Generation a separate company, or is this the fourth generation of the Stones:

1. Brian
2. Taylor
3. Ronnie
4. Post-Charlie

1. Taylor (Dick)
2. Jones (Brian)
3. Taylor (Mick)
4. Wood (Ronnie)
5. Jones (Darryl)
6. Post-Charlie

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:22

slewan
DandelionPowderman
slewan
maybe it's very simple

Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go
Living In A Ghost Town
Troubles A'Comin

well, more than a half of the songs you mention are covers. Beside that: have they ever played more than two of them at the same show?

Probably not. A quick glance at setlist.fm shows the last time Doom & Gloom was played live was in February 2016. The Blue and Lonesome songs debuted later the same year. (Desert Trip and Vegas in 2016, and they only played one blues cover - Ride'em On Down - at both)

The first time they had the two-song blues slot from Blue & Lonesome was on the 2017 No Filter tour.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:30

New era = same set list but played in reverse order whilst seated.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:42

My Tips for tomorrow:

Look forward to it. (the most unprejudiced way.)

Grab for your childish Stones-mood and just lay back and listen.

Feel if this your record - no matter what is written/said here or elsewhere.

Roll with it.

Groove with it, analyse later.

Shut down your brain and let your ears and the rest of your body rule.

Keep always in mind that a moment happens so many thought it won't come anymore.

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:43

If they tour behind the album, I have trouble imagining modern shows that have 4-5 slots of new songs. But that is what they did in 2005. The Ottawa show I went to had Rough Justice, Back of my Hand, Infamy and Oh No, Not You Again. There may have even been shows that year with 6 new songs if they mixed in This Place is Empty and Streets of Love.

By 2006 I think they were only doing 2 new songs (Rough / Streets) and in 2007 they ONLY played Rough Justice from ABB.

I'll reserve my judgement for when I hear the new songs, but I still can't imagine them playing a show today with 5 new ones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 18:45 by bengigan.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:56

The Joker
dnewton99

dkwalika
Is Fourth Generation a separate company, or is this the fourth generation of the Stones:

1. Brian
2. Taylor
3. Ronnie
4. Post-Charlie

1. Taylor (Dick)
2. Jones (Brian)
3. Taylor (Mick)
4. Wood (Ronnie)
5. Jones (Darryl)
6. Post-Charlie

Let us not make this too complicated. Let's go to essentials:

1. Pre-Charlie
2. Charlie
3. Post-Charlie

- Doxa

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:06

Maybe the new era is a hologram show like ABBA?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:08

Doxa
The Joker
dnewton99

dkwalika

1. Brian
2. Taylor
3. Ronnie
4. Post-Charlie

1. Taylor (Dick)
2. Jones (Brian)
3. Taylor (Mick)
4. Wood (Ronnie)
5. Jones (Darryl)
6. Post-Charlie

1. Pre-Charlie
2. Charlie
3. Post-Charlie

- Doxa

I'll take it a step further for simplicity sake:

1. Charlie
2. Post-Charlie

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:23

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I'm guessing that the space between Mick and Keith in their promo pic is an homage to Charlie.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:28

Kurt
Doxa
The Joker
dnewton99

dkwalika

1. Brian
2. Taylor
3. Ronnie
4. Post-Charlie

1. Taylor (Dick)
2. Jones (Brian)
3. Taylor (Mick)
4. Wood (Ronnie)
5. Jones (Darryl)
6. Post-Charlie

1. Pre-Charlie
2. Charlie
3. Post-Charlie

- Doxa

I'll take it a step further for simplicity sake:

1. Charlie
2. Post-Charlie

Charlie is playing on the album though. This would make this an in-between two eras album.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:45

I have had on my iPod Stones playlist since yday. It should definitely make it thru tomorrow. It's on shuffle and includes all solo releases by all 4 members. Bill and the Pipes aren't included, because I've never gotten around to uploading any of their CDs yet. Very exciting stuff indeed!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:57

so tomorrow ... this is getting exciting!!

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 5, 2023 20:07

bengigan
If they tour behind the album, I have trouble imagining modern shows that have 4-5 slots of new songs. But that is what they did in 2005. The Ottawa show I went to had Rough Justice, Back of my Hand, Infamy and Oh No, Not You Again. There may have even been shows that year with 6 new songs if they mixed in This Place is Empty and Streets of Love.

By 2006 I think they were only doing 2 new songs (Rough / Streets) and in 2007 they ONLY played Rough Justice from ABB.

I'll reserve my judgement for when I hear the new songs, but I still can't imagine them playing a show today with 5 new ones
It would be great if they played the whole thing, with a couple warhorses tacked on at beginning and end. A la 1978 tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2023 20:36

drwatts
bengigan

It would be great if they played the whole thing, with a couple warhorses tacked on at beginning and end. A la 1978 tour.

That would be fantastic! Tells you that they really believed in SOME GIRLS!

Look as far back as 1981-82, they played basically 6 TY songs, along with 2 ER songs. So 8 'new' songs total. With a much longer (and diverse) set list/show than 1978, 6 TY songs was probably a lot. But they knew it was a great album.

1989-90 they worked in 6 SW songs eventually, 1 DW and 1 U song. So 8 'new' songs total, although the 1990 EU tour it was basically 4 SW songs.

1994-95 they averaged 6 new songs.

1997-99 they averaged 5 new songs.

All of those tours they stuck with them, for the most part.

2005-07 they started out averaging 5 new songs but it's as if they didn't believe in the new album and it became less and less as the tour progressed, down to 2 in the latter part of 2006 and as mentioned somewhere recently, just 2 sometimes but mostly 1 in 2007! A complete reverse from the previous 4 tours for new albums!

Of course, the BANG tour was ridiculously long.

If they continue to tour (or whatever they do) it will certainly be interesting to see how many HD songs they play. And if they play any recent album songs (VL-ABcool smiley yet alone the few singles, the new era of live Stones, perhaps.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 5, 2023 20:36

Personally I think Mick still can perform live for 2 hours, Ronnie maybe.....but Keith I'm not sure.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 5, 2023 20:43

LeonidP
so tomorrow ... this is getting exciting!!

One more sleep! I know Rockman isn't sleepin but some of us need our beauty kip.

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: September 5, 2023 20:45

kid killowatt
Personally I think Mick still can perform live for 2 hours, Ronnie maybe.....but Keith I'm not sure.

Keith started to sit behind the drumkit during the first half of Miss You. And then even when he got back on his feet during the song, he stopped running out to the B-stage with Mick and Ronnie.

Date: September 5, 2023 20:57

If they stay healthy they can perform the whole show without issues. They do it all their life. No problem in sitting down for a part of a song during the show.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:03

Manofwealthandtaste
Harlem Shuffler
Manofwealthandtaste
The Hackney Diamonds launch is certainly causing a stir in the East End of London. Meanwhile in the West End of London, Christie's auction house are displaying one of the World's largest diamonds!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Hi,manofwealthandtaste,how much of a stir is going on?

I am planning on catching a train and tube and then walking tomorrow but I’m now wondering if,by the time I get there, I’d see more by viewing online rather than actually being present - not that I’d be able to get inside anyway!

Hi there Harlem, I haven't ventured over to Hackney myself but it's going to be a warm, sunny day tomorrow so why not take a stroll along Mare Street and see what you can see! It remains to be seen if Mick, Keith and Ronnie turn up in 'Pearly Kings of East London' attire! You will catch more online of course, but I am sure it will be available on Youtube after the event.

Thanks for responding. Perhaps I’ll see you there.

Date: September 5, 2023 21:18

Sightings of Mick in the local pub this evening!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:25

Larger version of the NYC photo posted previously.

Mark Seliger

[twitter.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:26

Nice!

I've added the HD tongue to my Setlist artwork, in hopes of catching at least one more show!!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:34

vibrolux
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I'm guessing that the space between Mick and Keith in their promo pic is an homage to Charlie.

Not that I've seen and a good point, even more noticeable in the HD version that just got posted.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:45

bye bye johnny
Larger version of the NYC photo posted previously.

Mark Seliger

[twitter.com]

Ronnie's face?

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 5, 2023 21:49

Looks like Mick and Fallon are ready at the pub in Hackney

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home