Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:04

MelBelli
Definitely not Keith.

It’s Mick through what sounds like store-bought pedals.

As opposed to those organically grown pedals.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:04

kid killowatt
ARB
I imagine he likes it - this is pure Keith Solo intro: Steve on drums, then Keith enters with his riff (see: nearly every song on Main Offender + Almost Hear you Sigh + few on Talk is Cheap).

I get the point, but is Mick who's playing that riff for sure...or Watt..I mean, it's too tight and polished to be Keith's

Sounds like a 'Dirty Work' era track.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:06

MelBelli
Definitely not Keith.

A BOSS overdrive pedal...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:14

gotdablouse
chevysales
Sounds so familiar I can’t remember what it was they did that had same sound. Likely one of the things they released as additional stuff since Licks in 2002. One of the songs released from then to now sounds just like it lyrically as far as phrasing for Mick goes. I will go thru my stuff and see I’m sure I can find it.

On another note I’m glad I was t only one who after waiting forever to download you got the “500 Internal Error”

Yeah it sounds a bit like that extra track on Licks, let's see, "Don't Stop", no, "Keys to Your Love", no, "Losing My Touch", no and..."Stealing My Heart", finally remembered the title. Wow it hasn't aged well, hope the rest of "Angry" is better !

Definitely some familiarity, and a Stones-lite vibe similar to those extra tracks on 40 Licks, and maybe/hopefully the rest of the tune is better as you say. Maybe a tasty extended solo from Keith will help?
Also, upon further listening, the guitar riff itself sounds like a reworked/contrived version of the Clash's classic Should I Say or Should I Go riff - a similar vibe anyways, but this new version doesn't have the same bite.
That said, the single might do really well with those that aren't fully familiar with the classic Stones - thinking fans of Taylor Swift, and Andrew Watt, and the younger crowd in general who only know the myth.

MelBelli
It’s a Mick riff for sure.

Meh.

Mick under the influence of a much younger Andrew Watt.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:14

Has anyone in Berlin seen the small poster/sticker?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:16

I'll tell you a secret. In 2023 in popular music barely anybody records guitar through a real tube amp anymore. They're all just using amp simulation plugins. Since this is produced by Andrew Watt, it can very well be that the guitar is just going through some Guitar Rig preset...

Also, whoever played this - in modern pop productions everything gets time aligned (quantized) to the grid in Pro Tools. That could be why it's so super clean and exact timing wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-01 21:19 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:23

A whole generation since the last studio album of original material. Hope it's worth the wait.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:24

kid killowatt
MelBelli
Definitely not Keith.

Quite possibly BOSS.

Guitar Center tone.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:26

StonedRambler
I'll tell you a secret. In 2023 in popular music barely anybody records guitar through a real tube amp anymore. They're all just using amp simulation plugins. Since this is produced by Andrew Watt, it can very well be that the guitar is just going through some Guitar Rig preset...

Also, whoever played this - in modern pop productions everything gets time aligned (quantized) to the grid in Pro Tools. That could be why it's so super clean and exact timing wise.

You are right....but...somebody like i.e. Mike Campbell & his band The Dirty Knobs still record guitars in the studio through Fender valve amps with a mic in front of it......obviously the point of that is to get a more organic guitar sound.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:28

FrankM
A whole generation since the last studio album of original material. Hope it's worth the wait.

Is that Kinks Super Fan Frank that Ray Davies used to call out by name?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:29

kid killowatt
MelBelli
Definitely not Keith.

rather awful

Date: September 1, 2023 21:31

The opening riff reminds me of Undercover of the Night, just sped up - similar to Look What the Cat Dragged In.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:35

Rocky Dijon
FrankM

Is that Kinks Super Fan Frank that Ray Davies used to call out by name?

Probably not but definitely a huge fan of The Kinks.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:37

StonedRambler
stonerolling
Curious whether or not to read too much in to the a new Stones 'era' slogan. Life post Charlie, something else?

Guess since Taylor Swift is calling her album periods "Eras" the Stones thought it was cool to do the same.

She has lots of Eras but all her Eras were after A Bigger Bang

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:49

shattered1978
This sounds really good!
I didn't like the studio sound post-SteelWheels, but this sounds really strong. Fat drums, delicious bass. Awesome!

thomashanck
snippet on yt ... [www.youtube.com]

Agreed. I REALLY like it! I can't believe the Stones are back. It's like a wet dream for me. It's a great time to be alive.

Drew

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:52

Rocky Dijon
The opening riff reminds me of Undercover of the Night, just sped up - similar to Look What the Cat Dragged In.

I hear some vibes of this song too!!
[youtu.be]

I hope i'm wrong!!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:56

I think this is pretty much it. The verse and the chorus will have these B-E-chords - just a bridge between. Like Sweet Thing, Let´s Work, Miss You and a lot of Jaggers solo stuff. Repetitive, something you can dance to. And I dont mind. Just my three cents. And I love that they have a producer, at last - that makes them sound BIG! Like on Steel Wheels. Reverb. It feels like 1989 again. smiling smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:13

Bjorn
I think this is pretty much it. The verse and the chorus will have these B-E-chords - just a bridge between. Like Sweet Thing, Let´s Work, Miss You and a lot of Jaggers solo stuff. Repetitive, something you can dance to. And I dont mind. Just my three cents. And I love that they have a producer, at last - that makes them sound BIG! Like on Steel Wheels. Reverb. It feels like 1989 again. smiling smiley

Yeah, I love the reverb. But ... but ... they've sounded "big" on other post-'89 stuff too. One example would be "I Go Wild".

Drew

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:24

to me the song snippet sounds like they're stuck in the 80s

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:25

"New Stones Era" .... 3 different animations on RS social media on 1-Sep-2023:

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Date: September 1, 2023 22:37

slewan

They can't win with their legacy. If it's too modern, they're chasing trends. If it's anti-formula, they're posing as avant-garde. If it sounds familiar, they're recycling the past with diminished returns. I'm just happy to have more songs.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:40

Rocky Dijon
slewan

They can't win with their legacy. If it's too modern, they're chasing trends. If it's anti-formula, they're posing as avant-garde. If it sounds familiar, they're recycling the past with diminished returns. I'm just happy to have more songs.

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:44

Rocky Dijon
slewan

It's true. For me, I like the feel of a song or I don't. I just hope that, at their core, the songs are decent and appeal to my sensibilities. If they don't, I have lots of other Stones to listen to.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:46

Rocky Dijon
slewan

“You Can’t Always Get What You Want” for some people. I’ll be happier to hear the track, then the album, in full.

Posted by: TooTight ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:49

slewan

Considering how many fans are stuck in the 70s, that’s a compliment!

Great stuff so far; bring on the rest!

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:53

You can hear it’s Mick because he plays in Keith style, but not with 5 strings tuned to G. He plays the barré chords in normal tuning with adding a pinkie to the D string to get Keith’s sound. You can see him doing it on a snippet he put on instagram a couple of months ago playing a Fender Jaguar.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 1, 2023 22:59

slewan

With their legacy, they can't win, just like Rocky Dijon said. It's a high bar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-02 07:34 by Topi.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 1, 2023 23:11

Rocky Dijon
slewan

Yes it's a tough balance to strike but that track Mick was grooving to on the harmonica in September 2018 just sounded great out of the gate and was nothing like they'd done recently, hope it made it on the album. The snippet of Angry (or the latest one in Instagram) is just Jagger by numbers, Don't Stop, Stealing my Heart, Let's Work, etc...without even a hint of Keith's "fairy dust".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2023 23:12

keef94
I really hope this is a landmark album, as opposed to that dreadful song Mick and Dave Grohl shat out, for example.

Yes. thumbs upsmiling smiley

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: September 1, 2023 23:17

HardRiffin
Rocky Dijon

I hear some vibes of this song too!!
[youtu.be]

I hope i'm wrong!!

Reminds me of the Undercover era as well, somewhat reminds me of Pretty Beat Up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home