Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 1, 2023 09:42

RobberBride
tiffanyblu
For me at least I know they have been working extremely long and hard with it. More effort than just a couple of songs.

There, thats the spirit!
Agree, it really means a lot.
Hopefully they have had a lot of fun doing it as well -

grinning smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 1, 2023 09:43

Bjorn
Half the beauty of Thief in the night is enough? This album will be a killer, then - because random outtake on youtube is twice as good as Thief in the night. cool smiley

I’m a huge Keith fan, have been for decades.you look at the songs he did on the Stones albums.
You got the silver, happy, coming down again, before they make me run.
Just top notch stuff, but for the life of me I can’t understand how some people like the absolute piles of shit he’s put on the latter day albums.
And they don’t just like it, it’s total love.

I can only think that he’s developed his cult of personality to where these people believe they’re getting “the real deal”
No you’re not- it’s lazy, boring crap made by a guy who has checked out,with no energy sleepwalking through a recording session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-01 09:44 by lem motlow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:02

tiffanyblu
RobberBride
tiffanyblu
For me at least I know they have been working extremely long and hard with it. More effort than just a couple of songs.

There, thats the spirit!
Agree, it really means a lot.
Hopefully they have had a lot of fun doing it as well -

grinning smiley

I was thinking working extremily long yeah, but not so sure about the 'hard' part. You know, compared to the way they used to spend weeks or even months in a row in a studio. Now it's been a week per year or so.

But then I started thinking, what does 'working hard' really mean in the context of the Stones? You know, even like in the good old days.

After the hectic days of the 60's it's been more like having a luxury to spend as much time as is needed, and probably some more, in a studio as one feels like. No hurry, no that fixed deadline, etc. Is, say, Keith and Ronnie jamming twelve bar blues for hours really 'hard working' (the famous example from DIRTY WORK sessions)? The band jamming a riff or a song sketch until the the song starting to develop, etc. Not forcing the inspiration, but like waiting patiantly for it to come. When it 'feels right'.

This is not criticism, but more like admiring the artistic freedom the band has had. Let the creativity to occur naturally. Surely that asks stamina, but is that really 'working hard'? I guess there are lots of musicians in the world hoping to have the luxury to 'work that hard'... "Five years working, twenty hanging around", like one of them once said.

Probably this is more like Keith's model of 'hard labor', but, for example, Jagger once admitted that he was pretty lazy and not that disciplined in the studio as well. Like, if his voice didn't feel quite right, he would leave it there and try next night again.

But you know, some extraordinary results derived from all that justified lazyness/artistic freedom... (although I think that by the 80's the magic from the results had started to fade away, thereby the 'method' pragmatically having run out of gas).

It could be that they actually work much harder nowadays when they occasionally enter the studio.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-01 11:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:22

Truly love this discussions.

For almost 18 years everybody was aching to get a new album.
Now as it seems to finally be released everybody is at first very enthousiastic and at the moment all seem to do their best to temper expectations amd almost bring the album back to something that will not be any good.

Let's just wait for the damned thing and then judge (as if we have any right to do so).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:26

lem motlow
Bjorn
Half the beauty of Thief in the night is enough? This album will be a killer, then - because random outtake on youtube is twice as good as Thief in the night. cool smiley

I’m a huge Keith fan, have been for decades.you look at the songs he did on the Stones albums.
Just top notch stuff, but for the life of me I can’t understand how some people like the absolute piles of shit he’s put on the latter day albums.

I can only think that he’s developed his cult of personality to where these people believe they’re getting “the real deal”
No you’re not- it’s lazy, boring crap made by a guy who has checked out,with no energy sleepwalking through a recording session.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and taste. But it's a weird thing to blame people with a different taste to be part of some "cult".

As far as I am concerned, Keith has made some great songs and some not-so-great, in every decade. His solo albums I find all wonderful (which doesn't mean I like all songs on them) and I for one, would have preferred him making a lot more of those instead of playing with the Stones the last 30 years (although he made a few great songs with them too during that time).

To number all his solo songs would be too long a list, but some examples of what he did with the Stones:
Not-so-good or bad: Coming Down Again, Wanna Hold You, Infamy, This Place Is Empty, Losing my Touch
Good to Great: Happy, Before They Make Me Run, All About You, Slipping Away, Thief In The Night.
Too name just a few.

I'd like to end with an absolute marvelous, delicious live version of Thief In The Night: [www.youtube.com]
So, indeed, if with or without the Stones he'd make something half as good, I would already be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: OnlyKeef ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:38

matxil
lem motlow
Bjorn

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and taste. But it's a weird thing to blame people with a different taste to be part of some "cult".

As far as I am concerned, Keith has made some great songs and some not-so-great, in every decade. His solo albums I find all wonderful (which doesn't mean I like all songs on them) and I for one, would have preferred him making a lot more of those instead of playing with the Stones the last 30 years (although he made a few great songs with them too during that time).

To number all his solo songs would be too long a list, but some examples of what he did with the Stones:
Not-so-good or bad: Coming Down Again, Wanna Hold You, Infamy, This Place Is Empty, Losing my Touch
Good to Great: Happy, Before They Make Me Run, All About You, Slipping Away, Thief In The Night.
Too name just a few.

I'd like to end with an absolute marvelous, delicious live version of Thief In The Night: [www.youtube.com]
So, indeed, if with or without the Stones he'd make something half as good, I would already be pleasantly surprised.

In my opinion his version of "We had it all" is an absolute masterpiece!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:44

I'm convinced that in this process - new album, new material - Mick is more than ever the driving force.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:59

powerage78
I'm convinced that in this process - new album, new material - Mick is more than ever the driving force.

Ofcourse, without Mick the Stones would be like most sixties bands - long gone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2023 12:20

As far as I am concerned, I used to love the occasional 'Keith's songs' on Stones albums, as they were interesting, fresh varieties to the normal Stones sound, but still within the same framework as the other tunes, lead sung by Jagger. And as Keith was so much singing the back vocals, and his voice still so fresh and high, it all worked so well within a Stones context, even if it was him in lead vocals (his and Mick's voices worked so beautifully together). Thinking of, say, EXILE, in where "Happy" is just another great Stones song, this time Keith on lead, supported by Mick. "Happy" was also a show highlight (1972-78), with all the Stones cylinders on: pure, magical Stones at their hottest. I think all the way to "Little T&A", each 'Keith tune' on albums was not just damn good tune, but was a well-thought piece, supporting the whole.

But at some point the Keith songs started to live a life of their own, like seperated entities on Stones albums. Place-holders. I didn't hear The Rolling Stones any longer, but a Keith Richards show. Especially the mentioned 'Keith jazz ballad' (or whatever) started to be a predictable cliche of its own. Naturally after Keith's solo albums, this 'this is a Keith, not a Stones number' tendency just strengthened. The same goes for his 'solo spot' within a Stones show.

This is not to say that I don't like some of his more recent numbers or his solo spot, I certainly do (for example, I think "How Can I Stop" is one of the finest latter-day Stones recordings), but I cannot help that when I listen them I don't hear The Rolling Stones there any longer, but something else that I am not that connected to. Probably this is because for me Jagger and his voice/presence is so essential for the Rolling Stones sound (and I am not that fond of Keith's solo albums either, and I would prefer him to express his idiosyncratic songs there, and not on Stones albums).

But I can see that for many here Keith solo tunes are an essential part of modern Stones sound, and seemingly even his solo records preferable to Stones albums. But that's not my cup of coffee, since seemingly my taste has developed differently from the good old days. We grow up differently. All disgracefully for sure, but to different directions. Let's celebrate the variety of tastes!

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-01 13:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 1, 2023 13:45

Have to agree with you here Doxa.Like i never ment to say that some of Keith songs is bad,but ballads for the last albums,sounds jazzy and boring to me.In concert i think probably Miss You has become the most boring song over the years.Miss You and Sympathy they have totally destroyed.15 minutes version of Miss You is terrible.Sympathy has become boring also

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 1, 2023 13:57

they changed rollingstones.com into the hackneydiamonds.com website smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 1, 2023 14:01

MononoM
they changed rollingstones.com into the hackneydiamonds.com website smiling smiley

You can click "continue to site" where you'll find the regular RS website.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 1, 2023 14:03

Topi
MononoM

You can click "continue to site" where you'll find the regular RS website.
yes but i like to break the glass smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 1, 2023 14:21

Doxa
... ...Let's celebrate the variety of tastes!

- Doxa

Amen to that !

...and I agree entirely about Keith's songs on Stones albums. I too have come to look at them as a separate entity.

...and as a welcome bonus included within each particular Stones release.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:15

"So dull", "a nightmare", "piles of shit", "jazzy, boring crap" and I could go on and on: all verdicts from self-confessed diehard fans over the last few days on Stones-recordings of various vintage, literally hours away from a new Stones release after having waited for years on end. You're weird. Hopeless, actually. I mean, who needs foes when you've got fans like that. Me, I'm happy. I'm excited. There's gonna be a brandnew Stones-single very soon and if it's as satisfying as "Living In A Ghost Town" I'll be even happier. Good times ahead.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:23

mkbbcmr
"So dull", "a nightmare", "piles of shit", "jazzy, boring crap" and I could go on and on: all verdicts from self-confessed diehard fans over the last few days on Stones-recordings of various vintage, literally hours away from a new Stones release after having waited for years on end. You're weird. Hopeless, actually. I mean, who needs foes when you've got fans like that. Me, I'm happy. I'm excited. There's gonna be a brandnew Stones-single very soon and if it's as satisfying as "Living In A Ghost Town" I'll be even happier. Good times ahead.

Could not agree more!!!

Posted by: Musicwinn ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:25

New promotion video!

video: [www.youtube.com]

[Keep on rolling]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:44

Musicwinn
New promotion video!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Also on Instagram. Alas, no audio snippet of any new songs.

Rod

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:47

As long as Hackney Diamonds is certain and already appeared on the official site
[rollingstones.com]
should we start a new thread about the next studio album? I mean the one that will come after Hackney Diamonds. You know, rumors, speculations etc. winking smiley

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:49

https://twitter.com/RollingStones/status/1697589627949900152?s=19]Twitter Rolling Stones incl. some song[/url]

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:00

Can't wait to drop an exuberant amount of money on this thing

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:02

ironbelly
As long as Hackney Diamonds is certain and already appeared on the official site
[rollingstones.com]
should we start a new thread about the next studio album? I mean the one that will come after Hackney Diamonds. You know, rumors, speculations etc. winking smiley

The next one might be in the can already...or partly so...depending on how many songs were completed or nearly finished.

they'd love to get two for the price of one grinning smiley

Date: September 1, 2023 16:09

Muddyw
https://twitter.com/RollingStones/status/1697589627949900152?s=19]Twitter Rolling Stones incl. some song[/url]

Wrong link?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:14

DandelionPowderman
Muddyw

Wrong link?

A new Stones era Worldwide September 6th

Anyone know this place?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-01 16:16 by MAF.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:15

On their current IG story, be if the animated clips includes a barely audible snippet of something new… Super fun. I’m so excited about this album, whatever it ends up sounding like. I feel like I did when I was a kid, when a new Stones album was due soon. Nostalgic joy.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:15

DandelionPowderman
Muddyw

Wrong link?

Columbus Circle, NY
Tough to make out the music in background.

[twitter.com]

Date: September 1, 2023 16:31

mkbbcmr

You're right, the level of spite and hate for The Rolling Stones and their music on a fan message board is out the park. Especially for Keith, at present, onto whom a number of posters seem to project their failures and disappointments in life. Ease up! None of us like everything, but to rip into what you hate over and over seems a bit mad to me.
Can't wait to hear the new music.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:36

[twitter.com]

Song lyrics

If you really wanna be my friend
if you dont know
Dont ANGER me again
dont forsake me again

???

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:53

ukcal
[twitter.com]

Song lyrics

If you really wanna be my friend
if you dont know
Dont ANGER me again
dont forsake me again

???

Could very well be. If this is indeed the first single, it sounds more "ballady" to me than a traditional all-out rocker (which is fine of course, just softer than I anticipated). After all, Angie was a great choice to introduce GHS.

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 1, 2023 16:54

Sure sounds like Mick. But I can't make out much of those lyrics.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home